UVM 2017/18: A Gutt Check

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UVM 2017/18: A Gutt Check

I take no joy in suggesting someone lose their job, it is never a good thing. But as a coach of college athletics that is part of what you sign up for.

I appreciate all he has done for UVM, but it is time for a fresh start.

As long as that is the case, I would certainly prioritize hiring someone who has a track record of coaching some teams with offensive and special teams success. The idea of having a defense first team on such a large home sheet of ice is baffling to me. Losing records and no scoring is not a good way to build excitement around the program. If we give up 2 goals or more we nearly always lose, and that just isn't a sustainable way to play in the long run.

It'd be great to get someone new who could use the excitement around new facilities, Hockey East and a rabid fan base to bring in some offensive talent and get some red lights turning on again.

One man's opinion.

Comment

congrats to olympian Ryan Gunderson! And Amanda Pelkey for the women! At least our alums are representing us well on the big stage hoping the women can get gold and the men surprise some people and can medal

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
        What is Leclair doing these days? Not that he has any coaching experience...

Not sure what he has been doing since he left the NHL but I'm pretty sure 'the thirstiest Flyer' is not the answer to fixing UVM hockey.
        Last edited by j24vt; 01-02-2018, 07:27 PM.

Comment

I was really surprised to see Gunderson made the cut. That said it was a pleasant surprise, one of my favorite D-man second to probably only Sifers. Not saying he was the best... just one of my favorites.
          Originally posted by Hokydad
          Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

I was really surprised to see Gunderson made the cut. That said it was a pleasant surprise, one of my favorite D-man second to probably only Sifers. Not saying he was the best... just one of my favorites.
            he's been playing at a very high level in great european leagues for many years! one of the better offensive dmen abroad and has proven the doubters wrong at every turn hard work pays off former walk on to olympian!

Comment

Originally posted by j24vt View Post
              Not sure what he has been doing since he left the NHL but I'm pretty sure 'the thirstiest Flyer' is not the answer to fixing UVM hockey.
              Thanks for the chuckle on that one..

Comment

John is a consultant for his former agent Louis Gross. I don't know why he'd ever want to coach and give up life flexibility, plus he has never coached.

If you are talking replacement coaches, what about Damian Digiulian. He did a great job under Gilligan, is still in the area coaching St. Mikes, his wife has a great job here, he knows hockey and has a ton of connections. Plus he is a great guy and terrific ambassador. He was one of the five finalists when Kevin got hired.

What is Leclair doing these days? Not that he has any coaching experience...

It's getting really hard justifying extending Sneddon's contract, even if it is get your stuff together by next year or else. I think the writing is on the wall and Sneddon's prepping to leave. I hope Schulman pulls the trigger soon and starts interviewing people. Whoever is coming in has a lot of work and could use some prep time to get this disaster straightened out.

Sorry Jeff, but it's time to cut ties with Sneddon and bring in someone new. It's like swapping out the goalie even though it's not necessarily his fault, sometimes you just need a change to shake things up. Both of the games should easily have been wins for this team on paper. Instead we got two embarrassing losses and someone taking our trophy home.

Comment

Interesting...do we know who the other three finalists were?

Comment

Originally posted by Catamount93 View Post
                    Interesting...do we know who the other three finalists were?
                    Looking at this old USCHO piece:

http://www.uscho.com/2003/06/24/anal...don-in-at-uvm/

Amongst the finalists:

-Jeff Jackson
                    -Roger Grillo
                    -Mike McShane
                    -Bill Beaney
                    -Tim Bothwell - Corran did eventually hire him for women's hockey...he's long gone and Plumer has done a hell of a lot better than he did

They did also apparently interview DiGiulian and David Quinn
                    https://twitter.com/TheVTHockeyBlog
                    https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
                    NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

/r/collegehockey moderator
                    Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

Originally posted by Vermont Ref View Post
                      John is a consultant for his former agent Louis Gross. I don't know why he'd ever want to coach and give up life flexibility, plus he has never coached.

If you are talking replacement coaches, what about Damian Digiulian. He did a great job under Gilligan, is still in the area coaching St. Mikes, his wife has a great job here, he knows hockey and has a ton of connections. Plus he is a great guy and terrific ambassador. He was one of the five finalists when Kevin got hired.
                      while he's coaching probably one of the hardest jobs in the country because St Mikes doesnt have scholarships and d2 hockey cant go to any tournament he probably would not be under serious consideration I think - his record isnt that good but it can be more than that but there will be a lot of interest! Schulman need to not worry about "go young" like that article says which some of it while hindsite is 20-20 passing up Jackson and Quinn? Wow Corran messed that up! his love affair with Bothwell too ruined the womens program so glad Plumer has them on the right track working with such a uphill battle
                      Get the best coach possible because a actual good coach can get this team good quick i believe it!

Comment

Originally posted by pokecheckguy2 View Post
                        while he's coaching probably one of the hardest jobs in the country because St Mikes doesnt have scholarships and d2 hockey cant go to any tournament he probably would not be under serious consideration I think - his record isnt that good but it can be more than that but there will be a lot of interest! Schulman need to not worry about "go young" like that article says which some of it while hindsite is 20-20 passing up Jackson and Quinn? Wow Corran messed that up! his love affair with Bothwell too ruined the womens program so glad Plumer has them on the right track working with such a uphill battle
                        Get the best coach possible because a actual good coach can get this team good quick i believe it!
                        Honestly I don't think Quinn is that good of a coach. Great recruiter, but not a good X's and O's coach

Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

Sneddon gets a new 3 year deal through 2019-20....

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/s...ct/1005800001/

Comment

Originally posted by TovarishchLisa View Post
                            Sneddon gets a new 3 year deal through 2019-20....

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/s...ct/1005800001/
                            UNREAL! completely lost faith in the entire uvm administration never going to a game again. I cannot believe this ****!! wowoow Schulman looking out for his boy what an idiot way to show the community and alum base you dont even care about performance absolutely pathetic leadership from this school Schulman it is on you when the program goes further to rock bottom. shame on you! shame!

Comment

• Originally posted by pokecheckguy2 View Post
                              D2s can if they declared.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

As the article stated they were working on this for some time but of course now ted Ryan who withall due respect to his work is Sneddons official bootlicker who claims he never does any wrong came out with such a TIMELY article when the heat was getting turned on from all corners because they knew it! pathetic by UVM! Schulman you have lost me completely all you did was prove that you care more about taking care of your guy than you do the program that you so proudly suited up for in the past! saying 'i know what we are' well tell me what is that? a program that is supposed to suck and be in 6th placce AT BEST every year? are you joking me? you just sealed the nail in the coffin for this program you KNOW there are issues you've been here the ERNTIRE TIME but you turn a blind eye to the "leader' at the helm and how he has simply not got the job done and you cowardly act when people begin to question you and protect you guy. what a loser. you dont care about me or anyone else and i dont care but i can tell you now, you lost yet ANOTHER season ticket holder I know you are no idiot and see those numbers dwindle and it is part of YOUR job to keep those high but I guess you cant do that either!!! unbelieveable!
                                Instead of Pack the Gut I hope fans empty the Gut to show these bozos in charge up there that they've just ruined the entire program!! you idiots are never getting your arena renovations now not with a a peice of crapp program on the ice but tell me again how facilities is the reason the team sucks....losers LOSE!

Comment

Working...
                                X