UVM 2017/18: A Gutt Check

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
    I gotta believe they're having this conversation, as it'd be dereliction of duty not to. Whether that means not exercising the option on Sneddon's contract for next year, I doubt it. As someone said (Lisa I think), they'll give him another year to try to straighten things out. If he can't, I can maybe see them not exercising the option for 2019-20.
    I listened to the Coach’s Show on the radio earlier tonight. Sneddon sounds terrified and defensive. I felt bad for him, but he’s just not a good fit here. He’s clearly not a student of the game, nor does he understand how to motivate players at this level.

Comment

• Re: UVM 2017/18: A Gutt Check

Longtime lurker, even longer fan. I can say that while I've been apprehensive to pull the trigger on the #FireSneddon movement, I do believe it's time for a change. Whether that will happen I'm not sure. As I understand it, he and Schulman are close and Sneddon does probably have the backing of many of the power players in the upper donor class. However, given his contractual situation I certainly believe the discussions or at least the thoughts are being had internally by the administration. If I were a betting man I'd say if the Cats can't climb above 9th place in league this year, the chances of Sneddon being let go increase by a significant margin. If they do reach above that and he's retained, I would have to believe he will enter that year as it being his last unless there is significant improvement. His contract nearly expired 4 years ago, but they renewed very late in the year after the season. The worst the finish, the higher percent chance he's let go. I won't shed a tear, he'll land on his feet somewhere and he makes pretty good coin for VT living.

As far as listing names for coaches, I have to say Ron Rolston's name is very intriguing. Still young (51), college assistant for many years under title winning squads, heavily involved in USA Hockey Jr programs including being the HC at multiple WJC events, AHL/NHL head coaching experience, and if he's willing to be a volunteer assistant at Providence, it tells me he'd be willing to listen to taking a college job, no? Also, he's Brian Rolston's brother, so a pretty successful hockey family. I'd also be more than willing to be Dave Hakstol's rebound job if he's fired by the Flyers.

Comment

• Originally posted by jfromvt View Post
        I think fan's expectations are way too high. Entering this year, UVM's lifetime record, including the D2 glory days is exactly .500. We are under .500 since going to D1 in 1974. Sneddon's record is basically the same as Cross (D1) and Gilligan. We are the equivalent to a Mississippi State in Football, thinking we are an upper tier program, when we really are average. Bad facilities, no sure-fire recruiting base, makes it very tough to sustain a winning program year in and year out. I am not a big Sneddon fan, a lot of the players regress over time, and their on-ice system is baffling, but it's not like he is in a great situation.
        Are you fn serious? UML had done nothing prior to Bazin and Providence was in the doldrums for years. Both are excelling after bringing legit coaching. Watching UML BU game tonight and it is like a division above us. Lastly our best games were against CC and game 2 v Michigan and since then, as typical of Sneddon teams, we have gotten worse.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlie Catamount View Post
          As far as listing names for coaches, I have to say Ron Rolston's name is very intriguing. Still young (51), college assistant for many years under title winning squads, heavily involved in USA Hockey Jr programs including being the HC at multiple WJC events, AHL/NHL head coaching experience, and if he's willing to be a volunteer assistant at Providence, it tells me he'd be willing to listen to taking a college job, no? Also, he's Brian Rolston's brother, so a pretty successful hockey family. I'd also be more than willing to be Dave Hakstol's rebound job if he's fired by the Flyers.
          I like your thinking. Hakstol spent years in North Dakota so VT would be warmer and a little more active and a nice reprieve from Philadelphia. Take his NHL earnings and live large in Burlington. Just dreaming...

Comment

Originally posted by GreenCat View Post
            Are you fn serious? UML had done nothing prior to Bazin and Providence was in the doldrums for years. Both are excelling after bringing legit coaching. Watching UML BU game tonight and it is like a division above us. Lastly our best games were against CC and game 2 v Michigan and since then, as typical of Sneddon teams, we have gotten worse.
            I think the UNH game also pretty good. We dominated the possession battle, 77-44 shot attempts
            https://twitter.com/TheVTHockeyBlog
            https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
            NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

/r/collegehockey moderator
            Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

• Originally posted by TovarishchLisa View Post
              I think the UNH game also pretty good. We dominated the possession battle, 77-44 shot attempts
              I agree! I forgot about that game.

Comment

Well we will look good tonight on the ice. I look for some starter scratches and back up play. The way the team has been playing, haven't been able to take that approach much at all. Tonight they will and win anyway is my prediction. No conclusions can be drawn from it though.

Comment

• Originally posted by gocats View Post
                  Well we will look good tonight on the ice. I look for some starter scratches and back up play. The way the team has been playing, haven't been able to take that approach much at all. Tonight they will and win anyway is my prediction. No conclusions can be drawn from it though.
                  Starter scratches and backup play? Why? Do you mean because it's Brown?

Comment

For a few reasons. Now would be the time. Cats recent play, the opponent's recent play including the Bently loss, non league game, the upcoming break, my guess is now would be the time to get some real game action for some players who haven't played much. I expected it at Dartmouth and was wrong then so maybe it won't happen.

Comment

For a few reasons. Now would be the time. Cats recent play, the opponent's recent play including the Bently loss, non league game, the upcoming break, my guess is now would be the time to get some real game action for some players who haven't played much. I expected it at Dartmouth and was wrong then so maybe it won't happen.
                      Look at our PWR compared to that of the teams mentioned. Let’s hope we can pull the UPSET win over Brown tonight. We needed OT to squeak by Dartmouth.

Comment

Originally posted by VTALUM View Post
                        Look at our PWR compared to that of the teams mentioned. Let’s hope we can pull the UPSET win over Brown tonight. We needed OT to squeak by Dartmouth.
                        I would think this game is a vitally important game going into the break. Maybe not for statistics, which I prefer to value, but for the psyche of the whole program.

Look to the Cats to play like it’s the last game they could ever play - hopefully with blood thirsty desire.

If NOT then they haven’t been prepped with really what is stake - meaning Sneddon is too comfy to care. I watched the media day as well - and didn’t really get a sense of what he is thinking (which is indicative of what we see on the ice). Would be interesting to see Schulman interviewed; and asked the right question.

Let’s see what happens tonight, but after almost 15 years of dealing with mediocrity - when players come in with big hype (and some who leave and go on to even greater things once away from poor development) - I think we deserve better from one of the highest paid leaders at this institution.

I still say #FireSneddon.

Comment

Not sure what about Brown’s recent play gives you the impression we’ll be an easy win. We’ve gone 4-3 since losing four of our first five to start the year. A good team? No. But certainly not a pushover, as we’ve been in recent years. I expect a close one tonight, as neither team has proved it can dominate on the scoreboard.

Comment

Schulman's first call should be to Marty. If he want's the job it's his.
                            Originally posted by Hokydad
                            Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

This looks like a fun lineup tonight!! Especially that Colton line...4-1 UVM

Comment

• Originally posted by VTALUM View Post
                                This looks like a fun lineup tonight!! Especially that Colton line...4-1 UVM
                                Nevermind. Harmon looked good though! 😐

Comment

Working...
                                X