Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Language of Hockey

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...lish-1.4260911

The language "barrier" has been an added difficulty, to one degree or another, for several women's hockey players in the past who were recruited from Europe...deserving of all the more respect for those who graduated.

Re: The Language of Hockey

In the quest to win, recruiting from all over the world now exists. The main issue I have with this is that instead of giving US girls a chance to play, improve and compete for a spot on our Olympic squad, many of those spots are given to talent from outside the US. Just have to explore the question that if the NCAA is a recruiting ground for the Olympics, who are we developing?

Comment

Originally posted by hockeymakesmebroke View Post
      In the quest to win, recruiting from all over the world now exists. The main issue I have with this is that instead of giving US girls a chance to play, improve and compete for a spot on our Olympic squad, many of those spots are given to talent from outside the US. Just have to explore the question that if the NCAA is a recruiting ground for the Olympics, who are we developing?
      Lets hope other countries do develop their women's national teams by whatever means. If they don't there may not be women's hockey in the Olympics in the future. With the USA women now being paid to train, my fear is that the gap will only get wider and wider between USA/Canada and the rest of the world.

Comment

Well that is certainly one way to look at this issue. My point is that it is at the expense of US girls. Canada, Finland, Sweden and Switzerland all have wonderful programs and don't think for one moment that the Chinese won't be competitive shortly. I don't want to pick on our Canadian neighbors but it is mainly those girls that are the benefactors of our college scholarships and we develop them to the point that they have won the last 4 Olympic games.

Comment

It isn't the primary purpose of NCAA hockey programs to train players for the national team. It isn't even the secondary or tertiary purpose. Beyond teaching athletes to play hockey better, it shouldn't even be a purpose at all. If the national team wants better players, it should figure out how to produce them itself.

Comment

Well that is certainly one way to look at this issue. My point is that it is at the expense of US girls. Canada, Finland, Sweden and Switzerland all have wonderful programs and don't think for one moment that the Chinese won't be competitive shortly. I don't want to pick on our Canadian neighbors but it is mainly those girls that are the benefactors of our college scholarships and we develop them to the point that they have won the last 4 Olympic games.
            Not to argue your point but it could also be said that many American players (as well as Canadians and Europeans) have had the benefit of being developed by Canadian Head and Assistant Coaches in the US. Shannon Miller, Laura Shuler, Brad Frost, Jim Fetter, Jamie Wood, Nadine Muzzerall, and Matt Desrosiers (et al) spring to mind...three Head Coaches of whom are three out of only four Head Coaches who have coached their team to a Frozen Four Championship in the last 17 years...each of them multiple times. Scholarships don't develop people...people develop people. So, it's somewhat of a two way street.

Comment

As far as I'm concerned, the international players that are playing D1 are not taking, they are contributing.

Back when Hux was here, doing the great tracking of player commitments to the programs, it was either Minnesota or Ontario contributing the most players. The Canadians make D1 women's hockey way better than it would be without them. (please come back Hux!)

The Gophers played Yale 3 times during Phoebe Staenz' career and she was by far the best player on Yale in those games. The European players were huge for UMD last year and have been for UND as well.

I think the National teams should thank their lucky stars for D1 and stay out of the way of their seasons as much as possible (understanding Olympic years). I also think women's hockey is in more of a grow and support each other to survive mode than defend yourself against the competition getting too strong mode.

Comment

College coaches are paid to win not to develop Olympic talent. There is not enough depth in North America girls to staff all the teams and have them comptative. Those two things mean there will be players from around the world for the foreseeable future and D1 schools will develop talent for non USA teams. In the long run that is actually good for women's hockey

Comment

The majority of any Hockey Player's skill development and talent is usually developed before they get to the College level. Certainly, there is continued growth in their development in College more specifically in their game play. You would think that the majority of College Coaches are at their level because they know what they are doing; as they are a little more "polished"and know how to teach and get results as they hold Players accountable for both on and off ice workouts. Usually, good competition will benefit all those who compete at that particular level. The Olympic Program depends on good Coaching from every level of hockey from Youth, H.S., Prep, Juniors, and College to Develop our Olympic Players.
                  "Keep your head up, and your stick on the ice."

Comment

Working...
                  X