Union College: 2017-2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
    The top 4 teams in the ECAC standings are Clarkson, Cornell, Colgate, and Union. In the 5th and 6th positions are Yale and Brown, each with 6 points and they want to move up in the standings. No one wants to be on the road in that first week of the ECAC playoffs. Brown has won 3 of their last 4. Gavin Nieto is .932 and 2.3525. He is perfectly capable of stealing a game or two as he did AT Yale and AT Princeton. He would love to steal another one AT Union. At Princeton, he blocked 49 shots and shut them out. Brown has an experienced ladened senior class with 7 seniors including 5 forwards. Brown always plays us well. Brown's Captain and Alternates are also from that senior class.
    Brown played us tough at Meehan. That is going to be a 1st round home ice team soon.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Re: Union College: 2017-2018

Nothing is settled in the ECAC. In 2011-2012 Harvard was picked to finish last in the ECAC. They did not disappoint coming out 2-3-1 and managed 4-4-4 by January 1. The second half was a different story as they went 9-5-7 and plowed through the ECAC tournament handing Yale an 8-1 defeat and Cornell a 6-1 a complete beat down in Atlantic City. I saw that game and it was IMO the worse physical beating I have ever seen an ECAC team hand another ECAC team. I thought Cornell was going to raise a white flag. In the Championship game Harvard was up 1-0 on us with 10 minutes to go in the 3rd before we tied it up. Carr won it for us a few minutes later and an empty net made it 3-1. ECAC points are going to get harder and harder to come by as we fight for a first round bye and avoid being on the road. 28 points has, for the past 12 years, always landed you in the top 4.

Against the Sioux, we blocked 21 shots in the first and 17 shots in the second. Championship hockey for us. We are going to have to approach Brown and Yale the same way. Yale blew Harvard off the ice earlier this year.

Bennett made a big investment in playing a lot of Freshmen last year. Its paying off this year. I bet a lot of decisions around who plays has to do with parents and family and their ability to travel and see their sons play. Family and academics first. We got our priorities right.
      DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
      DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
        Nothing is settled in the ECAC. In 2011-2012 Harvard was picked to finish last in the ECAC. They did not disappoint coming out 2-3-1 and managed 4-4-4 by January 1. The second half was a different story as they went 9-5-7 and plowed through the ECAC tournament handing Yale an 8-1 defeat and Cornell a 6-1 a complete beat down in Atlantic City. I saw that game and it was IMO the worse physical beating I have ever seen an ECAC team hand another ECAC team. I thought Cornell was going to raise a white flag. In the Championship game Harvard was up 1-0 on us with 10 minutes to go in the 3rd before we tied it up. Carr won it for us a few minutes later and an empty net made it 3-1. ECAC points are going to get harder and harder to come by as we fight for a first round bye and avoid being on the road. 28 points has, for the past 12 years, always landed you in the top 4.

Against the Sioux, we blocked 21 shots in the first and 17 shots in the second. Championship hockey for us. We are going to have to approach Brown and Yale the same way. Yale blew Harvard off the ice earlier this year.

Bennett made a big investment in playing a lot of Freshmen last year. Its paying off this year. I bet a lot of decisions around who plays has to do with parents and family and their ability to travel and see their sons play. Family and academics first. We got our priorities right.
        Dutchman: I don't believe playing decisions have anything to do with "parents and family and their ability to travel and see their sons play." College coaching staffs don't interact with parents, usually don't know parent's names, and may be able to recognize only a few parent's faces... as it should be!

Comment

Originally posted by Vaportrail View Post
          Dutchman: I don't believe playing decisions have anything to do with "parents and family and their ability to travel and see their sons play." College coaching staffs don't interact with parents, usually don't know parent's names, and may be able to recognize only a few parent's faces... as it should be!
          I agree with you.. Playing time is an earned thing at Union.. Practice effort is important - If you won't put that effort in
          to earn game time - then you won't get game time.. And if you waste the game time you are given - you may not get time again
          anytime soon.. Only thing that interferes with that would be classroom issues..

Parents have made some very long trips to see their son play and they didn't play..

Comment

Jake wins ECAC Goalie of the week.

Junior Jake Kupsky, who led Union to a victory and a tie over the weekend at then-No. 3-ranked North Dakota, has been selected ECAC Goaltender of the Week, the league announced Tuesday.
            Kupsky, a Waukesha, Wis., had a 1.44 goals-against average and .955 save percentage as the Dutchmen (8-6-1) won 4-1 and tied 2-2. Union is now ranked 19th in the country.
            DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
            DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
              Jake wins ECAC Goalie of the week.

Junior Jake Kupsky, who led Union to a victory and a tie over the weekend at then-No. 3-ranked North Dakota, has been selected ECAC Goaltender of the Week, the league announced Tuesday.
              Kupsky, a Waukesha, Wis., had a 1.44 goals-against average and .955 save percentage as the Dutchmen (8-6-1) won 4-1 and tied 2-2. Union is now ranked 19th in the country.
              Good for him!
              Let's go Union !
              ECAC Regular season champion : 2010-11, 2011-12, 2013-14, 2016-17
              ECAC Tournament champion : 2012, 2013, 2014
              NCAA champion : 2014

Comment

Coach's Corner Live! coming back to the Van Dyck, first show next Wednesday night, 6pm.
                https://www.facebook.com/events/1977818972459400/

Great news, Union fans - You've been asking about "Coach's Corner" at the Van Dyck, and I am thrilled to announce we ARE having shows this season, with the first one coming up ONE WEEK from today - Next Wednesday night 6pm, at the Van Dyck. Coach Rick Bennett and other folks from Union Athletics will be on hand, and of course there'll be prizes and other fun stuff as you get to hang out with other Union fans and take in some great food and drinks at the Van Dyck. There will be three shows total this season, with a possible 4th to be added later: The official dates are (MARK YOUR CALENDAR!: Wed 12/6, Tues 1/23 and Tues 2/2. For those who can't make it, the show will be available for streaming afterwards at the Unionathletics.com website. Also, if you have any questions for coach Bennett or coach Tapp, please message me directly or E-mail at "unionhockeyradio@gmail.com" - We want to use your fan questions as well. Hope to see you Wednesday night at the Van Dyck!!

Comment

We have got to come out smoking against Brown. We need to take away time and space from their skilled forwards. We need to create opportunities. Forechecking. Pack of wolves. We need to be relentless in front of Nieto, 6th in the county in save percent and he shut out Princeton. We need to get psyched, get physical.
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F91LO5uX0yk
                  DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                  DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

• Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                    We have got to come out smoking against Brown. We need to take away time and space from their skilled forwards. We need to create opportunities. Forechecking. Pack of wolves. We need to be relentless in front of Nieto, 6th in the county in save percent and he shut out Princeton. We need to get psyched, get physical.
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F91LO5uX0yk
                    Came out smoking but the puck seemed allergic to the back of the net. By the third period, after a 3-0 lead, the game seemed less of a done deal as Brown’s intensity and Union’s lack thereof left the Union faithful a little antsy.
                    One very bright spot was Kupsky. Union has two hotshot keepers.
                    Yale is no pushover either. The team that beat ND better show up Saturday night..

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      Brown played us tough at Meehan. That is going to be a 1st round home ice team soon.
                      Yes !!!

The best Brown team in a long time (experience + skill)
                      In 2014 they made it to the ECAC final game.
                      Nieto was very very very good ... Kupsky was better
                      Brown can skate
                      We hit 4+ posts
                      We 20 Blocked Shots

The difference in the game was our ability to take advantage of Brown's defensive mistakes. We need Mike Vecchione to return for a weekend and give a clinic on scoring 1 on 1 against a goalie. I think we had at least 4 chances. Credit to Nieto.
                      Last edited by Dutchman; 12-02-2017, 07:28 AM.
                      DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                      DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Yale defeated Harvard at Bright 5-2
                        Yale beat Brown at Meehan 5-2

We are going to be playing a team that is DESPERATE to stop a losing streak and avenge a last minute lose to RPI.
                        DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                        DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

This is supposed to be the time of year where there are no classes in our tri-semester system and we can just focus on hockey. Whatever they were focussing on tonight, it was not hockey.
                          Last edited by Dutchman; 12-02-2017, 08:54 PM.
                          DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                          DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

• [QUOTE=Miami Ice;6564450]Came out smoking but the puck seemed allergic to the back of the net. By the third period, after a 3-0 lead, the game seemed less of a done deal as Brown’s intensity and Union’s lack thereof left the Union faithful a little antsy.
                            One very bright spot was Kupsky. Union has two hotshot keepers.
                            Yale is no pushover either. The team that beat ND better show up Saturday night..[/QUOTE

Comment

Not a very impressive showing against a Yale team that came in with 6 losses over its last 7 games.

A missed opportunity on home ice. If Union wants to be a top contender in the league this year, teams reeling like that need to be taken care of. It's a game Union should have been able to win.

A bad third period against Brown carried over with Union getting just 6 shots in the first period tonight.

0 for 5 on the power play sticks out like a sore thumb, especially not getting anything late in the 2nd/early in the 3rd when Yale was called for that 5 min penalty and a 2 minute one right after. After coming up empty during that stretch, I got the feeling Union wasn't going to get a win.

Jack Adams out again. For the second weekend in a row, he played on Friday and not on Saturday. Nagging/reoccurring injury or something else? Though the Red Wings draftee is off to a slow start, he needs to be out there as long as he's healthy. He projects to be a key cog over the next few years.
                              Last edited by ecachawkeyfan; 12-02-2017, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Just wanted to give a shout out to your team. I watched a replay of the end of the Saturday night game against UND and saw one of your players (sorry, I don't know who it was) skate by the UND goalie as the buzzer sounded and gave him a tap on the pads. Very classy move. Sportsmanship that you don't see very often. Liked to see it.
                                Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

Working...
                                X