Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 17-18 Preseason - MacNaughton, Broadmoor... What's this year bringing?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post

Historical Trivia - When Tech opened the 1993-94 season wearing the white arched "Michigan Tech" throwbacks, it was the first time the Huskies wore something other than the traditional script "Huskies" on the front of their jerseys since...? I don't know the answer, but it had been decades, maybe dating all the way back to when the team was first named the Huskies? I would love to know the answer to this question.

Ryan
    After perusing the team pictures at the JMSIA today, it appears that the first use of script Huskies was in the 1957-58 season. So MacInnes used the arched block letters with a front number from Al Renfrew's era for one season, and then made the change.

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 17-18 Preseason - MacNaughton, Broadmoor... What's this year bringi

Uh.........why isn't the GLI on any of our schedules?

What's going on?
      ---
      National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
      Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
      19 Conference Championships
      10 Conference Tournament Championships
      2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 17-18 Preseason - MacNaughton, Broadmoor... What's this year bringi

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
        Uh.........why isn't the GLI on any of our schedules?

What's going on?
        Dates are still tbd
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

GLI will be 1/1 and 1/2. MTU/MSU will be the early game.
          Co-Founder/Editor of BGSUHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
            Dates are still tbd
            Correction - to be ANNOUNCED. They have been determined.

Comment

Originally posted by BGDrew View Post
              GLI will be 1/1 and 1/2. MTU/MSU will be the early game.
              Absolutely idiotic if true.
              ---
              National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
              Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
              19 Conference Championships
              10 Conference Tournament Championships
              2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

I've got two really good extra tickets to today's game (section 106, row K, which is lower bowl). I bought them months ago and then a friend gave me even better seats. If anyone needs them, they're yours for free. Email me at ManOnTheSilvrMountain at gmail if you want them and we can arrange the handoff at the Kohl Center.
                Last edited by UpNorthHockey; 10-01-2017, 12:21 PM.

Comment

We'll be chatting during today's game on Discord. You can join here: https://t.co/zVMhFktbxU

One thing of note your account has be active 10 minutes before you can join to filter out spammer.s
                  Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                  What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

I was at the game. It was a good game and intense for the first game of the year. I'd be interested to hear up north's opinion, but for now here's mine.
                    I thought the game was well refereed. I saw only one or two marginal calls by the linesmen. One on an icing and one on a face-off location. I thought the refs did a good job of calling penalties and I had no issue with what was called.
                    I thought Tech was the better team, but kind of had brain fade for a few seconds once every 10 minutes and Wisconsin was able to score on that a time or two. reminded me of the st cloud game in the Ncaa's two years ago.
                    This was a real up and down game and it went by in a real hurry. It was fun to watch, and made the fans very nervous. ( but at least they didn't throw anything at me like they did last time)
                    I thought Haydon was really good and especially positionally kept them in the game. In the second we had several point blank chances that he stopped. they weren't big acrobatic stops but they were good stops on guys in the slot.I can't believe he didn't turn pro after playing so well last year.
                    the crowd around me came into this game expecting a blowout and were shocked in the first 5 minutes. Wisconsin was having trouble adjusting to the Tech forecheck. (We had a number of good turnovers in their end but nothing came of it.) It was verwy quiet in there at first. Conversely they were surprised when Wisconsin scored on the first pp of the game. As the run of play had not been in their favor.
                    After the first score Tech seemed to sag a bit and wisconsin played well. I thought they were a high skill team, a lot like Denver last spring. in fact the game did not remind me of an early season game, it was mid season skill and play.
                    I liked the play of the young guys, not just the freshmen, although we turned it over too often in our own end and the freshmen were getting an education, but of the sophomores. Barretta played hard and used his size well. Blacklock, Brice, etc all seemed to have made a big step from last year's play. Wisconsin had trouble adjusting to the pace of play as the game wore on and we were controlling play more and more.. I thought staman and smith played well and won a lot of important face-offs. I thought Ford was pretty good, though he left his feet on the third goal and, though he's not really to blame, they scored on that. I thought the defense got better as the game went along and early they were taking too many chances or out of position, or not covering the trailer, but later in the game, we did those things and it was very frustrating to Wisconsin, because those passes had been open in the first period.
                    I liked Munson. I think the goaltending overall, and including the warmup's was better than last year. I expect it will remain better than last year. I thought L'esperence was a real man, used his size and skill to great advantage and the wisco defensemen were very aware of him all game.
                    I thought if there was one area we could have done better it was play away from the puck, but overall we played pretty dang well and if we keep doing that we'll win a lot of hockey games.
                    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                      I was at the game. It was a good game and intense for the first game of the year. I'd be interested to hear up north's opinion, but for now here's mine.
                      Thanks for a thorough report. Very encouraging!

Comment

I'm just glad to see a much better first outing than last season. Obviously this coming weekend will be very telling as well. Does Packy get another start, I think he should, does Kero play the second game and we rotate goalies until one truly emerges. Either way, would have preferred a win obviously, but the Shawhan era isn't off to a terrible start.
                        2005-2006: 7-25-6
                        2006-2007: 18-17-5
                        2007-2008: 14-20-5
                        2008-2009: 6-25-7
                        2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

Originally posted by bose301s View Post
                          I'm just glad to see a much better first outing than last season. Obviously this coming weekend will be very telling as well. Does Packy get another start, I think he should, does Kero play the second game and we rotate goalies until one truly emerges. Either way, would have preferred a win obviously, but the Shawhan era isn't off to a terrible start.
                          The problem is, these non-conference games are probably the most important games of the season from the PWR standpoint. Not great timing for having to get stuff figured out. But there isn't really anything anyone can do about it, that is just the way the season schedule ends up playing out every year. The big issue is, if we have intentions of being a tournament team, and not just sneaking into a 4 seed by winning the Broadmoor, we need to win at least 1 in Duluth, and possibly 2. Or, if we start 0-3, the road to the NCAAs involves winning both the GLI and the Vegas tourney in the same week.
                          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                            The problem is, these non-conference games are probably the most important games of the season from the PWR standpoint. Not great timing for having to get stuff figured out. But there isn't really anything anyone can do about it, that is just the way the season schedule ends up playing out every year. The big issue is, if we have intentions of being a tournament team, and not just sneaking into a 4 seed by winning the Broadmoor, we need to win at least 1 in Duluth, and possibly 2. Or, if we start 0-3, the road to the NCAAs involves winning both the GLI and the Vegas tourney in the same week.
                            Yep! I would say the Union game is pretty close to a must win game. I don't expect us to sweep up there but we have to get at least one win. And given how we played, we could indeed sweep, who knows. that would really help us.

Comment

the new black jerseys are great. perhaps one of the best. throwbacks from the 20'2 or 30's. agree with what ms said about the game. now that I have my login problems fixed I'll keep up better with the posts. I was at the game too ms - could have picked you up at the airport and brought you back.
                              Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                              "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                              Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                              Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
                                the new black jerseys are great. perhaps one of the best. throwbacks from the 20'2 or 30's. agree with what ms said about the game. now that I have my login problems fixed I'll keep up better with the posts. I was at the game too ms - could have picked you up at the airport and brought you back.
                                Ah well thanks anyway. I got an Uber for 10 bucks so it wasn't too bad.

Now i'm about to say something that some people won't like I guess. I heard that someone asked the coach on the radio show why the Wisco goalie wouldn't turn pro. He said maybe he didn't get offers he liked. I bet he did. But I can guess why he stayed, and it's not a graduate degree.. Money is why.
                                Is it possible he got paid somehow. Is it possible some one he knows got paid who, kind of like Cam Newton, has no relationship with him but somehow the money finds it's way over. This kind of thing happens a lot in other college sports and it's common knowledge.I think it's happening here too. There is tremendous pressure to win at wisconsin and they have gotten some unbelievable recruits and things done in a short time. Kind makes you wonder how that happened. Unless it was simple. Money.

Comment

Working...
                                X