No announcement yet.

Are we going to have a 2017 GLI or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are we going to have a 2017 GLI or not?

There seems to be a lot of confusion as to whether the 2017 GLI will take place. Tech, the official host of the GLI, doesn't have it on its schedule and neither does UM nor MSU. Bowling Green, on the other hand, has it listed as Mon 1/1 through Thurs 1/4. This will take the holiday shine off the tournament this year.

Of course the big problem is likely the Pistons being the second tenant in the new arena. Why is it so difficult to get two days nailed down at the Oven for the GLI? Either Tech had it easy at the Joe with Olympia or the Pistons (or perhaps the Wings/Olympia) are playing stingy now.

Would nice to see some real reporting from USCHO or perhaps the Freep or Detroit Snooze on this issue. Would be a shame to see the GLI exiled to after the holidays or perhaps Northville.
    CCHA 4 LIFE

Re: Are we going to have a 2017 GLI or not?

There will be a GLI, they just need to figure out when the arena will be available once the NBA schedule is released.

The rumor I heard was the games will be January 1st and 2nd, but who knows.
    Co-Founder/Editor of BGSUHockey.com

Comment

This is a death blow to the tourney.
      The 1st is about family and bowl games.
      The 2nd is the first work day back after the holiday. Bad idea, the only fans will be the true hockey diehards.
      If it is on tv, why bother to go.

I would expect the Wings have the annual New Year's Eve game. Very disappointing to hear this. I would hope the powers that be would work a little harder to not spoil a holiday tradition at Olympia entertainment. How about getting a little more creative than the 1st/2nd. I knew letting bouncy ball in was a stupid idea, especially impacting hockey traditions.
      Last edited by Huskiefan906; 07-31-2017, 07:47 PM.

Comment

If we're looking at this being a New Year tourney going forward, I really think they need to consider dropping the 3rd place game altogether, and just having the evening championship on the 2nd. I know the idea is to try and maximize the non-conference games played, even when you're playing for "not last", but you could almost hear a pin drop in those afternoon consolation games the past several years. Plus, when a pair of B1G or WCHA teams have to play each other, it defeats the purpose of playing for that OOC comparison boost anyway.

It could be that this is just how the scheduling worked out this year due to the Pistons' delayed decision-making, and they will have more time to discuss and better plan for future years going forward. However, I suspect the NBA and NHL will want to monopolize those dates in-between Christmas and New Year's Eve as much as possible.

I know Bowling Green is this year's invite. Do we know who is on the docket for 2018 and 2019? I assume another rotation of Ferris, Northern, and Western?

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          If we're looking at this being a New Year tourney going forward, I really think they need to consider dropping the 3rd place game altogether, and just having the evening championship on the 2nd. I know the idea is to try and maximize the non-conference games played, even when you're playing for "not last", but you could almost hear a pin drop in those afternoon consolation games the past several years. Plus, when a pair of B1G or WCHA teams have to play each other, it defeats the purpose of playing for that OOC comparison boost anyway.

It could be that this is just how the scheduling worked out this year due to the Pistons' delayed decision-making, and they will have more time to discuss and better plan for future years going forward. However, I suspect the NBA and NHL will want to monopolize those dates in-between Christmas and New Year's Eve as much as possible.

I know Bowling Green is this year's invite. Do we know who is on the docket for 2018 and 2019? I assume another rotation of Ferris, Northern, and Western?
          Biggest problem with that is that most teams base their schedules around hitting all alotted games, and by removing the consolation game, you have teams potentially ending up a game short, which is an absolutely terrible situation in their eyes. Unless you make the GLI an exempt tournament (which I doubt will happen because three of the teams are always the same), no one will want to play the tournament because they aren't guaranteed two non-conference games; they'll just play someone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Dream No. 2 View Post
            There seems to be a lot of confusion as to whether the 2017 GLI will take place. Tech, the official host of the GLI, doesn't have it on its schedule and neither does UM nor MSU. Bowling Green, on the other hand, has it listed as Mon 1/1 through Thurs 1/4.
            The GLI will happen this season, they are just trying to firm up the dates. The Huskies head coach did his radio show yesterday and said that 1/1-1/2 seem to the be dates but that is not official yet. I agree that 1/1 and 1/2 are bad dates for the tourney this year. The M-F / 9-5 crowd will be back at work 1/2 and I'm guess most kids will be back in school as well. They might do ok for the championship game if it is a 7pm or 8pm ET start, but I think the GLI will have to hope a lot of people want to see hockey in the new arena for cheap and that will draw in some new fans to compensate for the bad dates. I would be nice if the Wings would take a couple crappy days to help the GLI as they'll sell out all their games this season anyway as everyone will want to see the shiny new rink even if they are not playoff contenders again.
            Ryan
            Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
            https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
            Originally posted by geezer
            Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
            Originally posted by manurespreader
            ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by BGDrew View Post
              There will be a GLI, they just need to figure out when the arena will be available once the NBA schedule is released.

The rumor I heard was the games will be January 1st and 2nd, but who knows.
              Yes, the NBA is usually the hangup, as the AHL traditionally hasn't released their schedule until mid/late August because of the of the NBA.

This year, only the San Antonio Rampage and Spurs were conflicting, so the AHL released their schedule a few weeks back.
              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Working...
              X