BGSU Falcons 2017-18 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BGSU Falcons 2017-18 Season

Since the 2017-18 Roster is out today, may as well get a new thread going for this year. Hopefully this is the year we finally get over the hump and actually win some kind of title.

http://www.bgsufalcons.com/news/2017...man-class.aspx

http://www.bgsufalcons.com/roster.as...key&roster=240

Re: BGSU Falcons 2017-18 Season

I'm glad there's information on the site that's more interesting to me than who's been invited to development camps and Spezia's inline accomplishments. There's' been nothing about the arena renovations. I did appreciate the notice of Walker's pro deal--it's about time he got one!

I expected a regular-season championship last season. This coming season I don't; 3rd or 4th. We lost the two top defensemen, significant scoring, and the top goalie (c'mon, R. Bednard!). Still, even with nine freshman (seven skaters) there is some experience. Letourneau, Craggs, and Rauhauser had fine seasons as freshman, McClain and Spezia were first and third in scoring. I'm STILL waiting for Baylis to light it up. It'll be nice to have a local BG kid on the team again, but can he go straight from high school to college?

Only 59 days!
    Go Falcons!

Comment

Originally posted by spiehler View Post
      I'm glad there's information on the site that's more interesting to me than who's been invited to development camps and Spezia's inline accomplishments. There's' been nothing about the arena renovations. I did appreciate the notice of Walker's pro deal--it's about time he got one!
      The Sentinel-Tribune has had at least 2 videos on it. One of them has an in-depth interview with the arena manager where she explains specifically what they're doing to the floor.

Also nice to see Kevin DuFour was signed by the Brampton Beast; I'd love to see him work his way up to the Habs, especially since he's from Quebec.
      BGSU Class of 2017

Comment

Originally posted by spiehler View Post

I expected a regular-season championship last season. This coming season I don't; 3rd or 4th. We lost the two top defensemen, significant scoring, and the top goalie (c'mon, R. Bednard!). Still, even with nine freshman (seven skaters) there is some experience. Letourneau, Craggs, and Rauhauser had fine seasons as freshman, McClain and Spezia were first and third in scoring. I'm STILL waiting for Baylis to light it up. It'll be nice to have a local BG kid on the team again, but can he go straight from high school to college?

Only 59 days!
        The BG kid knows his role coming in. Stand in the net during practice to give the other two a break, and open the door for line changes.

Comment

Originally posted by pdt1081 View Post
          The BG kid knows his role coming in. Stand in the net during practice to give the other two a break, and open the door for line changes.
          He could be another Eddie Powers!
          Go Falcons!

Comment

Originally posted by pdt1081 View Post
            His role will be to compete like he wants to be a starter. Any player who comes into the program banking on just being the door opener won't be on the team long.
            Co-Founder/Editor of BGSUHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by BGDrew View Post
              His role will be to compete like he wants to be a starter. Any player who comes into the program banking on just being the door opener won't be on the team long.
              IIRC his dad works at the university so he doesn't cost us a scholarship. He's also big in net (almost as big as Bednard) so he covers a lot of space by just simply standing there. I haven't seen him play so not sure how quick he moves or how smart he is at positioning himself. I'm intrigued by this one. Also hoping Dop is as advertised.

I don't think our biggest weakness this year is between the pipes, it's putting it in the other team's net. Just like last year. And the year before...

Comment

Originally posted by BGDrew View Post
                Burke came in as a 3rd goalie and worked his way up to a starter so, yes, it can be done. It's more the exception than the norm, however.

Comment

Every team loses significant scoring at the end of each season. It gives the underclassman the chance to step up and replace them. Who expected McClain to step up and do what he did last year? He had 16 points as a sophomore and 33 as a junior! If Baylis makes that kind of a jump, we'll be fine.

Last year we lacked solid senior leadership. I believe that we will have that this year with McClain and Spezia.

On defense, IMO, Rauhauser will be a much bigger force than Friedman ever was by the end of his career here (he was nearly his equal last year). He reminds me a lot of Blake. Tall, with a very long reach, and a really nice shot. Now if he can develop his slap shot from the point...

Friedman was really, really good but never attained great. He took way too many chances. When he was on the ice the forward always had to keep an eye on him so they could cover him if he decided to take the puck in. I like a good offensive d-man, but he was more offense than defense at times and it cost us too many odd man rushes.
                  Last edited by BGFan; 08-04-2017, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BGFan View Post
                    Every team loses significant scoring at the end of each season. It gives the underclassman the chance to step up and replace them. Who expected McClain to step up and do what he did last year? He had 16 points as a sophomore and 33 as a junior! If Baylis makes that kind of a jump, we'll be fine.

Last year we lacked solid senior leadership. I believe that we will have that this year with McClain and Spezia.

On defense, IMO, Rauhauser will be a much bigger force than Friedman ever was by the end of his career here (he was nearly his equal last year). He reminds me a lot of Blake. Tall, with a very long reach, and a really nice shot. Now if he can develop his slap shot from the point...

Friedman was really, really good but never attained great. He took way too many chances. When he was on the ice the forward always had to keep an eye on him so they could cover him if he decided to take the puck in. I like a good offensive d-man, but he was more offense than defense at times and it cost us too many odd man rushes.
                    I agree with BGFan that the senior leadership with McClain and Spezia will be a big improvement over last year. That will be key for getting us over the hump. I am excited for the new season and it can't get here soon enough.

Comment

https://***********/BGFalconHockey/status/901963064395870208

Well, although I have not see anything announced.....from the pictures on their twitter account it appears that Mitch McLain is the new captain for 2017-18.

Comment

Originally posted by bravohankins View Post
                        https://***********/BGFalconHockey/status/901963064395870208

Well, although I have not see anything announced.....from the pictures on their twitter account it appears that Mitch McLain is the new captain for 2017-18.
                        Twitter pic also shows Spezia with the big Charlie on his sweater.

Comment

Originally posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post
                          Twitter pic also shows Spezia with the big Charlie on his sweater.
                          Good choices!

Comment

2017-18 team photo and individual pics are up on the official BGSU site:

http://www.bgsufalcons.com/roster.aspx?path=mhockey

There are also some cool grouping pics up on Coach Eigner's twitter page:

https://***********/TyEigner

Comment

Anyone who was at the first exh.game care to give a synopsis of how some of the younger players looked?? I see Wright had a point.

I would post it over on the AZZ board, but there are too many trolls on that board that are just looking to get a rise out of hockey followers.......

Comment

Working...
                              X