Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: University of Michigan, 2017-2018, a new era starts

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
    Speaking of small sample size. Umm...AIC beat Penn State last week. If we do not sweep I will consider it a failure
    I watched a little of the Thursday Penn State game, they do not look like last years Penn State. I'm choosing to believe that Penn State didn't take AIC seriously. PSU beat Minnesota in Minnesota in their 1st game. PSU isn't that bad, neither is AIC (comparatively speaking).
    Originally posted by alfablue
    Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
    Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
    I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
      I watched a little of the Thursday Penn State game, they do not look like last years Penn State. I'm choosing to believe that Penn State didn't take AIC seriously. PSU beat Minnesota in Minnesota in their 1st game. PSU isn't that bad, neither is AIC (comparatively speaking).
      Correction. Yes AIC looks bad...
      I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Would have loved to have a sweep, but they did at least improve from Friday to Saturday- and Friday's game was very winnable. I'll take it as a net positive.

Comment

Quick reminder that this "weekend" series with Ferris St is actually Thursday and Friday. So don't miss the Thurs game.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
            Quick reminder that this "weekend" series with Ferris St is actually Thursday and Friday. So don't miss the Thurs game.
            Oh, I won't. Unfortunately, I signed up for some training in Mount Pleasant that day. It means I will be leaving Ann Arbor at 6am, train until 3:30, then drive back to Ann Arbor just in time to go to Yost. When I signed up for this training, I did not realize that the games were Thursday/Friday.
            Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

If your actions speak louder than words, you're not yelling loud enough. - Stephen Colbert

You build. You paddle. You stand in awe of what your hands have made. - Pygmy Boats

Comment

Originally posted by bluevox View Post
              Oh, I won't. Unfortunately, I signed up for some training in Mount Pleasant that day. It means I will be leaving Ann Arbor at 6am, train until 3:30, then drive back to Ann Arbor just in time to go to Yost. When I signed up for this training, I did not realize that the games were Thursday/Friday.
              I forgot that I signed up for some evening training... oops.

Comment

Just saw today that Sam Piazza was named as a candidate for the Senior CLASS award! http://www.mgoblue.com/news/2017/11/...ass-award.aspx

We are very fortunate to know Sam, and are very happy for him and this nomination! I'm really hoping that he can be on an Academic All American list, too.

Comment

Tough split- you can see growing pains for the team as they transition to what Mel wants them to to. The D looked shaky at times, and that caused a lot of problems. And the O could not really maintain a long attack, to take pressure off the D zone play Saturday. Other than the one period, Ferris was able to push us around a lot.

How they react and play next week against the Gophers will be interesting.

BTW, I thought I saw a dot in the net before contact....

Comment

My thoughts. They're good, but just not quite there yet. Michigan needs that upperclassman who just dominates. Don't get me wrong: Piazza, Calderone, Marody, Cecconi, and Dancs are all outstanding players but not in the same sense as a Porter, Hensick, Tambellini, etc. (although the Porter comparison really isn't fair). It can still happen this year as the team continues to gel.

As far as goalie goes that's a tough one as well and maybe this is the Berenson in me but we should stick with LaFontaine. I'm sure Mel knows who he likes as the #1 already but it just waiting until we get deeper into the season before he goes with a #1.

Comment

Games vs. the squashed M team this weekend. Will we continue to earn weekend splits? I think a split vs. a good Minnesota team would be acceptable.
                      Do we continue to see the goalie rotation?
                      Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                      wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                      7 B1G
                      7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                      6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                      5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                      5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                      2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                      2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                        Do we continue to see the goalie rotation?
                        Until one stands out over the other, I think this goes on. Mel has made it clear that he would far prefer a single goalie, but the two are not really letting him choose.

Comment

Hey guys. Hoping for a great series this weekend. On the Gophers, watch for Casey Mittelstadt and Rem Pitlick. Mittelstadt is a freshman, but his skills are off the charts when he puts them on display. Best raw talent we've had since Mike Riley and in terms of a freshman, he's probably got as much raw talent as Thomas Vanek or maybe even more. Should be fun. Who's to watch on MI this year?
                          Last edited by 5mn_Major; 11-09-2017, 09:36 AM.
                          Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                            Hey guys. Hoping for a great series this weekend. On the Gophers, watch for Casey Mittelstadt and Rem Pitlick. Mittelstadt is a freshman, but his skills are off the charts when he puts them on display. Best raw talent we've had since Mike Riley and in terms of a freshman, he's probably got as much raw talent as Thomas Vanek or maybe even more. Should be fun. Who's to watch on MI this year?
                            We have two main lines- which seem to work best as a unit vs. individuals....

Marody, Calderone, and Dancs- these are upper classmen who work well together.

Norris, Slaker, Lockwood- one freshman and two soph- these guys are super creative with the puck. They can be very mezmorizing on the powerplay, too.

Of those 6, you would see more highlight stick handling from Norris and Lockwood. But Cooper Marody is the top scorer, and there's a 3 way tie for # between Tony Calderone, Dekter Dancs, and Jake Slaker are our two leading scorers right now.

The other real stand out in terms of carrying the puck is Quinn Hughes. Really good skating freshman defenseman, but he sometimes carries the puck one or two seconds too long. He's quickly figuring out the college game in terms of speed and skill, so I think his play will adjust quickly.

Otherwise, everyone is pretty solid.

Comment

You guys feel like Pearson is doing anything significantly different in terms of strategy than Red? I said in the other thread that it looks like they push the pace (based on the stats) and play a faster game but I haven't really watched any of their games.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                                You guys feel like Pearson is doing anything significantly different in terms of strategy than Red? I said in the other thread that it looks like they push the pace (based on the stats) and play a faster game but I haven't really watched any of their games.
                                yes. Especially since many of the teething problems are being binned as learning a new system.

Comment

Working...
                                X