Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bentley University 2017-18: Can I get an "AMEN!" from the congregation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
    Eagles play at Conte on Chestnut Hill; Falcons play at the JAR. Next Falcons games at the JAR on 27-28 October against the 'hurst.
    Oh yeah.... Major error on my part, my apologies to the falcons
    RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

Re: Bentley University 2017-18: Can I get an "AMEN!" from the congregation?

This weekend's pair at HC should tell us a lot about where this squad stands, at least for the first half. Both teams picked to finish middle of the pack, they always seem pretty evenly matched, and the first road trip for Bentley. If we are to expect any real overachievement from this team, this weekend should be an excellent barometer. 3 or 4 points would give me a lot of hope for the balance of 2017.
      Bentley University Hockey
      On-campus arena: Build it, and they will come...

Comment

Originally posted by schiegs View Post
        This weekend's pair at HC should tell us a lot about where this squad stands, at least for the first half. Both teams picked to finish middle of the pack, they always seem pretty evenly matched, and the first road trip for Bentley. If we are to expect any real overachievement from this team, this weekend should be an excellent barometer. 3 or 4 points would give me a lot of hope for the balance of 2017.
        Could not agree more.

Comment

Originally posted by schiegs View Post
          You were right Schiegs, and it did not look good. Despite Friday’s close score, we were 100% outplayed in the second period and did not look like the better team the entire night. That was shown on Saturday when we were absolutely crushed by the Crusaders. So much so that Jake Bryniarski was put into the game after Pelino let up his 5th goal of the night early in the second period. Bryniarski did not see a single MINUTE of ice time the entirety of last season. Despite that, Jake actually looked really solid out there and stopped every shot he faced. That’s besides the point, what a horrible weekend for the Falcons. A few things I noticed:
          THE BAD
          Passing is horrendous. Trying to make the hard pass through a couple of defenders should not be prioritized over the cross ice pass with no one in the way. Even on the easy passes, getting tape to tape is an issue and controlling the puck after a pass needs to be worked on.

SHOOTING. Need to work on taking the RIGHT shots. There’s a fine line between shooting every chance you get, and waiting so long until you have the absolute perfect opportunity. The Falcons couldn’t be further from that fine line. On the powerplay, there is often way too much waiting and passing and not enough taking a clear shot on net when you have a window. This waiting game takes place until desperation sets in, when they realize they only have 20 seconds left on the PP, and then they start taking bad shots where 80% of those shots are blocked well before they get to the tender. This is emphasized on the PP, but resembles what happens most of the time on offense.

Too many penalties. The Falcons took 16 penalties this weekend, including 2 ejections on Saturday. Luckily, HC’s PP has been horrendous this season or else this series could’ve looked even worse than it already did. Take that many against Air Force or RMU, you’re really screwed.

THE OK
          Argue looked pretty good on Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by acohen527 View Post
            You were right Schiegs, and it did not look good. Despite Friday’s close score, we were 100% outplayed in the second period and did not look like the better team the entire night. That was shown on Saturday when we were absolutely crushed by the Crusaders. So much so that Jake Bryniarski was put into the game after Pelino let up his 5th goal of the night early in the second period. Bryniarski did not see a single MINUTE of ice time the entirety of last season. Despite that, Jake actually looked really solid out there and stopped every shot he faced. That’s besides the point, what a horrible weekend for the Falcons. A few things I noticed:
            THE BAD
            Passing is horrendous. Trying to make the hard pass through a couple of defenders should not be prioritized over the cross ice pass with no one in the way. Even on the easy passes, getting tape to tape is an issue and controlling the puck after a pass needs to be worked on.

SHOOTING. Need to work on taking the RIGHT shots. There’s a fine line between shooting every chance you get, and waiting so long until you have the absolute perfect opportunity. The Falcons couldn’t be further from that fine line. On the powerplay, there is often way too much waiting and passing and not enough taking a clear shot on net when you have a window. This waiting game takes place until desperation sets in, when they realize they only have 20 seconds left on the PP, and then they start taking bad shots where 80% of those shots are blocked well before they get to the tender. This is emphasized on the PP, but resembles what happens most of the time on offense.

Too many penalties. The Falcons took 16 penalties this weekend, including 2 ejections on Saturday. Luckily, HC’s PP has been horrendous this season or else this series could’ve looked even worse than it already did. Take that many against Air Force or RMU, you’re really screwed.

THE OK
            Ugh; sounds just like what I saw against AIC.

Comment

Originally posted by acohen527 View Post
              THE BAD

THE OK
              Week three, and I'm already depressed.

Comment

Congrats to Falcons on their first win tonight, 4-3 over 'hurst at the JAR. But, taking nine penalties is usually not a recipe for success, especially when the opposing team takes only four. Nevertheless, good to get the 2 points in league play.

Comment

Congrats to Falcons on their first win tonight, 4-3 over 'hurst at the JAR. But, taking nine penalties is usually not a recipe for success, especially when the opposing team takes only four. Nevertheless, good to get the 2 points in league play.
                  The box score says they tried real hard to give it away in the 3rd. We are all too familiar with Falcon teams that fade towards the end.

Comment

Trivia question: when was the last time that the Falcons got shut out at the JAR, and against whom?

Comment

Trivia question: when was the last time that the Falcons got shut out at the JAR, and against whom?
                      Ok, time's up. Last time that we were shut out at the JAR was 13 March 2015, 1-0 to same 'hurst, in OT, in second round of postseason in which Falcons lost two out of three.

Comment

Ok, time's up. Last time that we were shut out at the JAR was 13 March 2015, 1-0 to same 'hurst, in OT, in second round of postseason in which Falcons lost two out of three.
                        That game hurt... but not nearly as bad as game 3 the next night.

@BentleyTopShelf

Comment

Quoting Jim McKay "The thrill of victory... and the agony of defeat", it is in overcoming past gut wrenching defeats that we appreciate the highest peaks of victory.

I am feeling very bullish on Bentley this season, a well rounded team and one heck of a goaltender who a team can ride as far as he takes them! Cheers and best of luck this weekend!

Comment

Originally posted by Blitz View Post
                            Quoting Jim McKay "The thrill of victory... and the agony of defeat", it is in overcoming past gut wrenching defeats that we appreciate the highest peaks of victory.
                            If this is true, when the Mets finally win, my peak might hit Mars.

@BentleyTopShelf

Comment

Falcons are killing my AHA Pick'em, please stop it! 😨
                              RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

Originally posted by blazer777 View Post
                                Falcons are killing my AHA Pick'em, please stop it! 😨
                                Falcons not off to good starts this season. Not sure why, beyond what one sees in the stats: too few goals, too many goals given up, too many penalties, and poor PK. PP appears to be ok, and accounts for 9 of their 18 goals.

Comment

Working...
                                X