Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NCAA Hockey Administrators to western fans: Drop Dead

Originally posted by Goon View Post
    I can show you some of the wonderful sites this summer. Fish Devils Lake or Duck Hunting in the fall.
    I have a fabulous cabin in the middle of central ND. There's some great golf course, too.
    I don't hunt but went to Teddy Roosevelt National Park for a bit last summer and it was gorgeous.
    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
      You already have.

If a person chooses to live in a place because the roads are empty....

Yes - the Dakotas are the only Midwest states with wildlife, golf courses and lakes.

They have however cornered the market on as....
      This day and age there are few places in the upper Midwest that compare to the dakotas for bird hunting, especially waterfowl. You CAN hunt in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan and others but for the most part, it really doesn't compare at all.
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

And it's but a short drive away.

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
          Michigan Tech is like the Babe Ruth of the Traitor Program Hall of Fame. They were the original traitors and yet have the insane treachery numbers to back up their spot as the founding member. Notre Dame is more like a Hank Aaron. They ultimately surpassed Michigan Tech's raw treachery numbers (although, unlike the baseball analogy, Michigan Tech's and Notre Dame's traitorous exploits could continue to haunt their conference brethren for years to come), but still don't have the cache of Michigan Tech's treachery.

It is a close call though, and i'm not sure if you can really go wrong with either choice.
          For honorable Mention: Don't forget Michigan and Michigan State--WCHA-CCHA-b1g.
          GO DU !!!

Comment

The NCAA didn't screw the west. Sioux Falls & Fargo were the only ones west of Allentown to bid for regionals in 2018 & 2019.
            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
              The NCAA didn't screw the west. Sioux Falls & Fargo were the only ones west of Allentown to bid for regionals in 2018 & 2019.
              The process screwed the west...stop making excuses for the NCAA.
              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                The process screwed the west...stop making excuses for the NCAA.
                If no one bid, who do you select. Coaches & ADs have consistently pushed against campus sites including most, if not all from the NCHC & WCHA. Madison, Milwaukee, Toledo, Fort Wayne, Des Moines, Omaha, Bloomington, Il, Grand Rapids & Green Bay all have suitable facilities. Nobody bid.
                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                  Abandon the "national tournament" for the regionals. Rank the "east" 1-8, rank the "west" 1-8, and have 2 regionals in the east, since that works. In the west, have a super regional, with 8 teams, to determine the 2 west teams going to the F4. This can be done permanently in MSP, at either the X or TC, or rotating between the 2. Of course, the NCAA won't don this.
                  Which of those facilities has dressing rooms and training facilities for 8 teams at once? How would the ice quality be affected by 14 practices & 7 games over a few days? The Target Center & the Timberwolves aren't going to clear back to back weekends for the NCHC & NCAA tourneys.
                  Last edited by davyd83; 04-30-2017, 11:44 PM.

Comment

If no one bid, who do you select. Coaches & ADs have consistently pushed against campus sites including most, if not all from the NCHC & WCHA. Madison, Milwaukee, Toledo, Fort Wayne, Des Moines, Omaha, Bloomington, Il, Grand Rapids & Green Bay all have suitable facilities. Nobody bid.
                    the point is that the spread out nature of the west has really limited success in the west so requirements are too stiff to allow these western regionals to succeed, bc ticket prices are too high to get casual fans in the door and hardly anyone can afford to travel on 1-week notice.

It seems likely that Allentown will realize this after the next two years. That is why I say the process has failed. The re suitable locations but very few are anywhere near the hockey hotbeds, and despite what many think, college hockey fans don't really travel that well in the west.

I think you could see improvement in Bids the next round with Minnesota getting back in and Wisconsin too if they're willing to host at their old barn. I also think some of the Minnesota schools should consider hosting in ea h others buildings. BSU > UMD, UMD > BSU and same for MSU/SCSU. Be interesting to see what the NCAA would do in that situation.

Comment

I don't know how you can act like it's the schools/arenas at fault when it's obvious to me that the midwestern arenas that can host have very little incentive to since regionals in Green Bay, Grand Rapids, Cincinnati, Toledo and Fort Wayne have all failed when tried. There are not many venues left that make any sense that have never hosted a regional...none of them see a point in trying again bc of all the rules and the fact that 5k would be a "success."

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                        the point is that the spread out nature of the west has really limited success in the west so requirements are too stiff to allow these western regionals to succeed, bc ticket prices are too high to get casual fans in the door and hardly anyone can afford to travel on 1-week notice.

It seems likely that Allentown will realize this after the next two years. That is why I say the process has failed. The re suitable locations but very few are anywhere near the hockey hotbeds, and despite what many think, college hockey fans don't really travel that well in the west.

I think you could see improvement in Bids the next round with Minnesota getting back in and Wisconsin too if they're willing to host at their old barn. I also think some of the Minnesota schools should consider hosting in ea h others buildings. BSU > UMD, UMD > BSU and same for MSU/SCSU. Be interesting to see what the NCAA would do in that situation.
                        It is a very difficult problem and there are no easy answers. And no matter which choices are proposed, there will be strong opposition from another faction. The logistics of a Super Regional are nearly impossible, what may be a good hockey market at one level, may not be so good at another. Huntsville is a great example. Their SPHL team draws over 4500 a night, while UAH has trouble getting half that many. And even in the good college hockey markets, if you don't have a local marquee team in the regional, you're dead in the water.

Comment

It is a very difficult problem and there are no easy answers. And no matter which choices are proposed, there will be strong opposition from another faction...
                          Dead on, and it's also important to note that the NCAA is not some unified monolithic block. There are a lot of factions even within the NCAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Goon View Post
                            Laugh if you want, there are good reasons to live in the middle of no where. Sioux Falls, SD is a straight shot south of Grand Forks, and once you get to South Dakota, the speed limit on I-29 is 80-MPH. Meaning, it's not going to be like driving on the east coast. Stuck in traffic jams and very low speed limits.
                            Well, I do want to laugh. And I just did.

I never sit in traffic. Ever.
                            Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                            The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                              ...and despite what many think, college hockey fans don't really travel that well in the west....
                              And this is somehow the fault of "NCAA Hockey Administrators"?
                              "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                                And this is somehow the fault of "NCAA Hockey Administrators"?
                                Let's be honest, its not even fair to compare the east and the west...I had a 700+ mile drive to attend the Midwest regional this year...To blame the fans when the costs are prohibitive is just silly. The regional system is broken and yes, some of the blame needs to fall on the fans for not going out and supporting college hockey even when their local team didn't make the regional. But Miami is averaging 2,600, how exactly are they going to fill US Bank Arena in Cincinnati when they can't even pack their own 3,200 seat building. St Paul used to pack the X for Final Five weekend and every team seemed to have fans that made it an annual trip regardless of if their team actually made it there. A week later, the X would host a regional, face value of tickets would be way more and they could barely get the building half full...granted no other regional really ever comes close to 18,000 but it is a great example.

I'm pretty sure any other regional would be thrilled with 7,500-11,000 in attendance for a regional. In the end, I think part of the problem is the shear number of major events going on in MSP area over the next few years that the X decided not to bid on the 2019 regionals. I would hope they would be back in the mix in 2020 and we can get some other random venue to get involved and everything should be ok. I don't think anyone can be terribly mad if North Dakota, Minnesota, Penn State, and some 4th team each get one regional site over the course of 2 years...and at that point, if they don't like it, they can bid to host somewhere...but again, the limited number of "neutral" venues in the "west" and the apparent regional wasteland that is east of the Mississippi and west of the Appalachians is difficult to overcome.

Comment

Working...
                                X