Dartmouth Hockey: The Golf I Mean (Off) Season of 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dartmouth Hockey: The Golf I Mean (Off) Season of 2017

The Big Green season ended with Yale exacting revenge from last year's ECAC tourney with a sweep in the first round. The season can be summed up in one word...INCONSISTENCY. Trying to break in an incoming group of 11 freshmen proved to be a daunting challenge although there were many bright spots for this group as they earn their stripes. On the other hand, trying to further develop the returning upperclassmen proved the be a challenge as well...this was surprising. In the end, the Big Green were unable to put this (meld) altogether with the following as some of the key points:

- Some of the upperclassmen did not progress as well as they should of
    - While starting out like gangbusters the freshmen could not match that same production from the mid-season on
    - Injuries played a vital role especially to a depleted D core
    - The special teams were awful early while the PP did not get going until later in the season; PK struggled all year
    - Goaltending was too unpredictable meaning you were not going to know what you got

Re: Dartmouth Hockey: The Golf I Mean (Off) Season of 2017

As far as I know the Big Green returns the following:
    (3) G
    (6) D
    (13) F

Positional Wishlist going into next season in order of priority:
    - True #1 center that can create/make plays while being a difference maker
    - Big and physical stay at home right-handed defensive defenseman
    -

Comment

Hey Turk181! You seemed to be well -versed and well-connected to the junior circuit and prospective college recruits. What can you tell us about what the Big Green has coming in for the 2017-18 season? Thanks in advance for your insights!

Comment

Originally posted by BIG Green View Post
        Hey Turk181! You seemed to be well -versed and well-connected to the junior circuit and prospective college recruits. What can you tell us about what the Big Green has coming in for the 2017-18 season? Thanks in advance for your insights!
        Thank you. I’ve only seen (in person) 2 of incoming players; Pat Flynn & Harrison Markell. Both are rated pretty high by Chris Heisenberg. Flynn will be a 21yr. old Fr. but he’s the type of player that all coaches want on their Team. I also know a couple of kids that played on the PAL Islanders that have said he’s a hard-nosed player. Markell will be a 20 yr. Fr. & in all honesty the couple times I saw the Boston Jr. Bruins I didn’t notice his game. Now, Christian LeSueur isn’t suppose to arrive till ’18 but that’s the kid you should be excited about. I’ve seen him several times & he always stood out. On the whole it’s a pretty old Fr. class coming in. I think it’s 7 that will be 20 before the season even starts & Flynn will be 21. All of the Fwds. are under 6’......I’m used to seeing that @ RPI. Matt Baker is team mates with an RPI recruit on the Wenatchee Wild in the BCHL and seemed to be on the scoresheet whenever I checked their games. He finished with 27g....34a....61 pts in 58 games. While those look like good numbers keep in mind the League is an offensive-minded league, their leading scorer had 51g in 58 games (Bemijji commit). Wish I could give you more but that’s about it.
        Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
          Thank you. I’ve only seen (in person) 2 of incoming players; Pat Flynn & Harrison Markell. Both are rated pretty high by Chris Heisenberg. Flynn will be a 21yr. old Fr. but he’s the type of player that all coaches want on their Team. I also know a couple of kids that played on the PAL Islanders that have said he’s a hard-nosed player. Markell will be a 20 yr. Fr. & in all honesty the couple times I saw the Boston Jr. Bruins I didn’t notice his game. Now, Christian LeSueur isn’t suppose to arrive till ’18 but that’s the kid you should be excited about. I’ve seen him several times & he always stood out. On the whole it’s a pretty old Fr. class coming in. I think it’s 7 that will be 20 before the season even starts & Flynn will be 21. All of the Fwds. are under 6’......I’m used to seeing that @ RPI. Matt Baker is team mates with an RPI recruit on the Wenatchee Wild in the BCHL and seemed to be on the scoresheet whenever I checked their games. He finished with 27g....34a....61 pts in 58 games. While those look like good numbers keep in mind the League is an offensive-minded league, their leading scorer had 51g in 58 games (Bemijji commit). Wish I could give you more but that’s about it.
          Hey turk181, thanks, you have given us much more than anyone else; the only people who would know more are the coaches. Very excited about LeSueur...who knows maybe he will come early, of course depending on his age. It would much be appreciated if you can keep us Big Green fans appraised on recruits.

Comment

Hey turk181, thanks, you have given us much more than anyone else; the only people who would know more are the coaches. Very excited about LeSueur...who knows maybe he will come early, of course depending on his age. It would much be appreciated if you can keep us Big Green fans appraised on recruits.
            The USHL Phase II Draft is Tues. May 2 here’s a look at a couple of known Dart. kids........ 29. Christian LeSueur, Brunswick, Jr., RW, Shoots Right, 1/7/99, 5-10/175 (Dartmouth) – He’s got a really good shot and thinks the game well offensively, but his skating still needs work. He was previously drafted by Sioux City............ 30. Joey Musa, Trinity-Pawling, Soph., C, Shoots Left, 5/11/00, 5-8/150 (Dartmouth) – He’s small, but he’s quick and has extremely good vision. He thinks the game well and creates chances in the offensive zone. He’s lower on these rankings as he’s still a few years away and the BCHL might be the best junior league for him when he graduates from prep......... 40. Sam Hesler, Belmont Hill, Sr., LW/C, Shoots Left, 6/6/98, 5-10/175 (Dartmouth) – His speed is his best asset. He’s small, but he can score and possess the puck. He might be heading to the Big Green in the fall.......... http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/coll...-dugan-verrier
            Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

The USHL Phase II Draft is Tues. May 2 here’s a look at a couple of known Dart. kids........ 29. Christian LeSueur, Brunswick, Jr., RW, Shoots Right, 1/7/99, 5-10/175 (Dartmouth) – He’s got a really good shot and thinks the game well offensively, but his skating still needs work. He was previously drafted by Sioux City............ 30. Joey Musa, Trinity-Pawling, Soph., C, Shoots Left, 5/11/00, 5-8/150 (Dartmouth) – He’s small, but he’s quick and has extremely good vision. He thinks the game well and creates chances in the offensive zone. He’s lower on these rankings as he’s still a few years away and the BCHL might be the best junior league for him when he graduates from prep......... 40. Sam Hesler, Belmont Hill, Sr., LW/C, Shoots Left, 6/6/98, 5-10/175 (Dartmouth) – His speed is his best asset. He’s small, but he can score and possess the puck. He might be heading to the Big Green in the fall.......... http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/coll...-dugan-verrier
              Hey turks181 thanks for the information and scouting report! Based on what you have said, I am most interested and intrigued by Christian LeSueur. If he does come in next year he will be a TRUE freshmen and you have to be pretty **** good to come in like that. Even the NTDP boys of that age has two years of great junior play (USHL) and also playing some colleges in them. These guys seem to be small in stature for now. Any word on any big RH D...true stay at home D man. Thanks again!

Comment

In a final culmination of the past season, awards were handed out to and for the following:

MVP - Troy Crema A graduated senior who had a monster season consisting of All-Ivy and ECAC honors but more importantly led to a ATO tryout with the Rochester Americans (AHL). Thanks and GOOD LUCK Troy.

Rookie Of The Year - Cam Strong Cam has the ability to put the puck in the net as shown by his 10 goal tally; he will need to be more consistent and spread them out more evenly this upcoming year and there's no doubt that he can/will.

Most Improved - Cam Roth The biggest improvement in Cam's game came in the D zone while not compromising his offensive talents as a puck-carrier and mover. Look for big things ahead for Cam.

Unsung Hero - Kyle Nickerson Here is a kid who perservered being in out of the lineup, dealing with many injuries. Great kid who will flourish in his life after hockey. Thanks for showing what a BIG GREEN hockey player is like on and off the ice!

Sportsman Of the Year - Josh Hartley Josh was probably one of the Hearts and Souls of the young team. His experience and mentorship were invaluable for such a young team. Another great kid who will do wonders in his next life- with or without hockey. Thanks for the four great years!

Comment

The Big Green's recruiting class for 2017-18!

http://www.dartmouthsports.com/ViewA...CLID=211637822

Hey Turk181, what can you tell us about this group? The one that intrigues me is Demler as he is only D that has some size. Here's hoping that he is right-handed and can utilize that size with a little grit and sandpaper, especially in the D-zone and in front of the net. The F that is interesting is Forman as he is an over-ager and has some size. Thanks in advance Turk181!

Comment

The Big Green's recruiting class for 2017-18!

http://www.dartmouthsports.com/ViewA...CLID=211637822

Hey Turk181, what can you tell us about this group? The one that intrigues me is Demler as he is only D that has some size. Here's hoping that he is right-handed and can utilize that size with a little grit and sandpaper, especially in the D-zone and in front of the net. The F that is interesting is Forman as he is an over-ager and has some size. Thanks in advance Turk181!
                    Sorry Big Green but I have no 1st hand knowledge of any of the coming class. I did however ask someone who is connected with Wenatchee about Matt Baker; Classy, intelligent and likable kid. Above average skill set. Strong on the boards and good at both ends of the Ice. Good 2nd line guy, great 3rd line.

Comment

Sorry Big Green but I have no 1st hand knowledge of any of the coming class. I did however ask someone who is connected with Wenatchee about Matt Baker; Classy, intelligent and likable kid. Above average skill set. Strong on the boards and good at both ends of the Ice. Good 2nd line guy, great 3rd line.
                      Hey Turk181, seeing that you do not have first-hand knowledge of this group, how should our Big Green fans interpret that? Hopefully these are really good players that flew under the radar! Also I guess Christian Lesueur is not coming in this year, probably getting some juniors experience? Again much thanks to your insight with a wealth of knowledge.

Comment

Will Graber heads to Edmonton Oiler camp! Congrats to Will! He probably has the most-upside of any current Big Green player. Will did what was best for the team last year as he was shuffled back to defense for a depleted core. A tall lanky guy with good feet and hands who can stand to put on a few more pounds to help himself in board battles. Looking for a very productive year from Will.

http://www.dartmouthsports.com/ViewA...CLID=211640692

Comment

Here's a very nice feel-good story on the Kalk brothers! Corey has been an offensive force for the Big Green as he heads into his senior year; he will have to pick up the where Troy Crema was last season, both on and off the ice. Way to show pride about your heritage!

http://www.dartmouthsports.com/ViewA...CLID=211642191

Comment

In a very inconsistent and roller-coaster like , enclosed are the "up" moments from this past season of 2016-17:

dartmouthsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=211644359&DB_OEM_ID=11600

Comment

An Ivy League education is worth your weight in gold! Probably 99% of these players will join the real world and work force after spending some many ardous hours training and practicing hockey throughout thus far in their lives....so what a better way to be prepared - a great education. Great job boys!!! And a special congrats to Ryan Blankemeier coming with a 3.93 GPA to lead the way!

http://www.dartmouthsports.com/ViewA...CLID=211651091

Comment

Working...
                              X