bu off-season - #1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: bu off-season - #1

On the plus side. I'd get them more regularly being out of the local area if they move from broadcast to online.

Comment

22 years ago today: in Providence, BU 6 Maine 2 to complete a triple-crown championship season. BU was 0-1-2 vs. Maine during the regular season.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5POvz7dUA7A
      Does any miss Bob Norton's analysis?
      The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
        Ummm...I was just joking Sean. Did anybody ever tell you you're a little too hard wired? You're basically a male version of Scarlet!
        Yes, I saw the icon, but some people may think attendance was down and I wanted to make everyone who reads this thread aware that that was not the case.

I don't stress out anymore before BU games, let alone like Scarlet. Being upset after a stinker though...

Sean
        Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
        Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
        BU Hockey highlights and extras
        NCAA Hockey Financials
        Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
        I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
          22 years ago today: in Providence, BU 6 Maine 2 to complete a triple-crown championship season. BU was 0-1-2 vs. Maine during the regular season.
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5POvz7dUA7A
          A great memory. 1pm face-off. We were drinking in the streets of Providence by 5pm.
          - Greer was a freakin' beast
          - Herlofsky's mullet is so choice
          - O'Sullivan's celebration after his second goal.
          - I love Jacques Joubert's joy. Always smiling
          - I miss speed

BU Hockey: Memory Lane and Hotdogs

"Does any miss Bob Norton's analysis?"

I also miss Tom Mees.
          It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
            Old school. Years back before a Worcester regional, if memory serves, the broadcast platform was next to the stairs to our seats. Literally bumped into him 10 minutes before they went on air. I said something about liking his broadcasts and we chatted for a bit. Very down to earth guy and very cool to chat with me. Things like that don't happen much these days.
            I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
              Old school. Years back before a Worcester regional, if memory serves, the broadcast platform was next to the stairs to our seats. Literally bumped into him 10 minutes before they went on air. I said something about liking his broadcasts and we chatted for a bit. Very down to earth guy and very cool to chat with me. Things like that don't happen much these days.
              He had such passion for the sport. And knew where every kid played before college. One of a kind.
              It Happened!!!!

Comment

"Off the pole" was a bob norton special

Feel like dangle was another

Comment

bob gets points for never using "jam"
                  a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                    He had such passion for the sport. And knew where every kid played before college. One of a kind.
                    and his father and brothers. Being local, I enjoyed hearing that stuff, but it probably didn't play well with non-regional audiences. Mr. Norton coached for the 'cats:

http://www.nhlegendsofhockey.com/bio.php?id=66

...superb recruiting skills, Bob had coaxed a stout collection of quality American and Canadian hockey players to Durham. Many soon became All Americas and then NHL players. A few such names were Hislop, Clark, Raeder, Crowder and Langway. The Norton thumbprint on that era of UNH hockey is easily seen by looking at the 123-54-4 record those six teams jointly compiled.
                    I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

A great memory. 1pm face-off. We were drinking in the streets of Providence by 5pm.
                      - Greer was a freakin' beast
                      - Herlofsky's mullet is so choice
                      - O'Sullivan's celebration after his second goal.
                      - I love Jacques Joubert's joy. Always smiling
                      - I miss speed

BU Hockey: Memory Lane and Hotdogs

"Does any miss Bob Norton's analysis?"

I also miss Tom Mees.
                      If the video wasn't enough, there's mh82's season narrative.
                      http://terrierhockey2.blogspot.com/2...t-busters.html
                      Steve Thornton centered two All-Americans, yet he was picked as team MVP. The ultimate two-way center.
                      The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

If only we could get back to goalie pads being that size

Comment

- I miss speed
                          Shawn Bates was so much fun to watch. I loved his pick-off breakaway goal against Minnesota in the semis that helped get us to this game.
                          BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

I also miss Tom Mees.
                            +1
                            BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                              If only we could get back to goalie pads being that size
                              I keep seeing this complaint, so I checked and it is not true (unless you are laminating goalie pads being smaller now ). Twenty years ago goalie pads and gloves were at the largest size allowed. So maybe you are remembering the good old days of the eighties, but you seem to have totally forgotten the nineties and first half of the 2000s.

From at least 1928 until 1979 goalkeeper leg pads could only be a maximum of 10” wide and no aprons or webbing was allowed to extend more than 3 inches below the crotch. Beginning in 1959 dimensions were added for the goalkeeper’s glove. The rule for goalkeeper’s equipment was the same from 1959-1979 (barring rule number and section changes and adding the dimensions in cm). From the 1978-79 rules:

RULE 1
                              Goalkeeper’s Equipment
                              SECTION 15
                              . The goalkeepers’ leg pads shall not be wider than 10 inches [25.4cm] each when worn.
                              NOTE: Before the match starts, the referee should measure the pads upon request. He should not permit a goalkeeper to wear or use any garment or equipment which would give him undue assistance. Aprons or webbing, extending more than three inches [7.62cm] below the crotch, are not permitted. Protective padding attached to the back or forming a part of the goalkeepers’ gloves shall not exceed eight inches [20.32cm] in width at any point, nor shall it extend more than 2 inched [5.08cm] beyond his extended fingers.

In 1979 the rule was moved again, to Rule 3, Section 3 and rewritten and the glove dimensions were standardized. From 1979 to at least 1987 the rules for Goalkeeper’s Equipment were (from the 1986-87 rules):

RULE 3
                              Goalkeeper’s Equipment
                              SECTION 3.
                              a. With the exception of skates and stick, all equipment worn by the goalkeeper must be constructed solely for the purpose of protecting the head or body, and he must not wear any garment or use any contrivance that would give him undue assistance in keeping goal.
                              b . The leg guards worn by goalkeeper s shall not exceed 10 inches [25.40cm] in extreme width when on the leg of the player.
                              NOTE: Before the games starts, the referee should measure the pads upon request. He should not permit a goalkeeper to wear or use any equipment or garment that would give him undue assistance. Aprons or webbing extending more than three inches [7.62cm] below the crotch are not permitted. Protective padding attached to the back or forming a part of goalkeeper’s gloves shall not exceed eight inches [20.32cm] in width nor more than 16 inches [40.64cm] in length at any point.

I am missing the rules books for 1987-88 and 1988-89 and during one of those seasons the width of the leg pads was extended to 12 inches. Starting in 1990 the glove dimensions were changed again. The rules from 1990 to 2006 were, barring minor change of wordage, the same (from the 2001-02 rules):

RULE 3
                              Goalkeeper’s Equipment
                              SECTION 3
                              . a. With the exception of skates and stick, all equipment worn by the goalkeeper must be constructed solely for the purpose of protecting the head or body. The goalkeeper cannot wear any garment or use any contrivance that would provide undue assistance in keeping goal. Aprons or ebbing extending more than 3 inches [7.62cm] below the crotch are not permitted.
                              b . The goalkeeper’s leg pads shall not exceed 12 inches [30.48cm] in width.
                              c . The goalkeeper’s blocker glove shall not exceed 9 inches [22.86cm] in width or more than 17 inches [43.18cm] in length.
                              The cuff of the goalkeeper’s catching glove shall not exceed 9 inches [22.86cm] in width. The maximum length of the catching glove shall not exceed 17 inches [43.18cm]. Any bar or attachment (cheater bar) between the cuff and the thumb only shall extend from the cuff to the thumb in a straight line.

The rules were changed again in 2006 to reduce the width of the leg pads to 11 inches, limit the height and require a minimum height to the boot of the pads. The glove was also reduced in size, as the width was reduced an inch, the length two inches and the cuff an inch. Overall dimension were also added to limit the size of the glove. Additional rules were added to limit ability to use shoulder and chest pads to stop shots. The current rules (from the 2006-08 rules) has remained the same, barring another change in the numbering system used (rules became sections and vice versa starting with the 2012-14 rules; it is now Section 3, Rule 11):

RULE 3
                              Goalkeeper’s Equipment
                              SECTION 3
                              . a. With the exception of skates and stick, all equipment worn by the goalkeeper must be constructed solely for the purpose of protecting the head or body. The goalkeeper cannot wear any garment or use any contrivance that would provide undue assistance in keeping goal. Aprons or webbing extending more than three inches below the crotch are not permitted.
                              b. The goalkeeper’s leg pads shall not exceed 11 inches in width. The maximum length from the bottom mid-point to top mid-point of the pad is not to exceed 38 inches. The boot of the goal pad is to be no less than 7 inches in length. The boot channel of the goal pad must be flat or concave in appearance.
                              c. The goalkeeper’s blocker glove shall not exceed 8 inches in width or more than 15 inches in length at any point. The flap protecting the thumb and wrist must be fastened to the blocker and this protection must follow the contour of the thumb and wrist. This protective piece shall not exceed seven inches in length when measured from the top of the blocking surface. Raised ridges are not to be added to any portion of the blocking glove.
                              The goalkeeper’s catching glove may be a maximum of 48 inches measured around the perimiter of the glove. The wrist cuff of the goalkeeper’s catching glove shall not exceed 4 inches in width and 8 inches in height. The maximum distance from the heel of the catching glove to the outside edge of the glove shall not exceed 18 inches. Any bar or attachment (cheater bar) between the cuff and the thumb only shall extend from the cuff to the thumb in a straight line.

The truth is, the goalies are much, much better now than they were twenty years ago, not to mention most are also larger.

And not to throw water on our feel happy that Oettinger will be staying, but Michigan Tech's freshman goalie just signed as a free agent with Anaheim. There are differences of course, but still cause to worry (sorry Scarlet ).

Sean
                              Last edited by Sean Pickett; 04-02-2017, 01:13 PM.
                              Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                              Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                              BU Hockey highlights and extras
                              NCAA Hockey Financials
                              Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                              I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Maybe it's my eyes then because the pads certainly look bigger these days, even on a normal sized 6' goalie

Comment

Working...
                                X