Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MICHIGAN TECH 2017 OFF-SEASON - We're Adding to the Trophy Case & Keeping Pearson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MICHIGAN TECH 2017 OFF-SEASON - We're Adding to the Trophy Case & Keeping Pearson

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
    Ever heard of Jonathan Quick (LA), Mike Smith (Arizona) or Devan Dubnyk (Minnesota)? Aaron Dell (San Jose), Scott Darling (Chicago) or Jared Coreau (Detroit)? Jared left a year early, started in the ECHL and made his NHL debut this year.
    Coreau only got playing time because of injury, he is not now and never will be a full time NHL goalie, probably not even good enough to be an NHL backup.
    2005-2006: 7-25-6
    2006-2007: 18-17-5
    2007-2008: 14-20-5
    2008-2009: 6-25-7
    2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

• Originally posted by bose301s View Post
      Coreau only got playing time because of injury, he is not now and never will be a full time NHL goalie, probably not even good enough to be an NHL backup.
      You have to admit Detroit's defense is pretty weak in front of any Wing's goalie that is playing.
      MTU Huskies 3 time NCAA Champions... and going for more.
      2017-18 WCHA playoff Pick'em Champion!

Comment

• Re: MICHIGAN TECH 2017 OFF-SEASON - We're Adding to the Trophy Case & Keeping Pearson

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
        Wonder if 4/6 D leaving influenced the decision.
        I'm pretty sure that is not the case. I don't see him as an NHL or even AHL level goalie, but good luck to him. The money is big sometimes, I mean jj took it, but it took him another 3 or 4 years to get good enough to be in the league.
        I think Coreau could eventually get to the NHL but he has work to do. Red Wings defense is getting better. I never thought much of Jensen and he's proving to be a good defenseman.
        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Ever heard of Jonathan Quick (LA), Mike Smith (Arizona) or Devan Dubnyk (Minnesota)? Aaron Dell (San Jose), Scott Darling (Chicago) or Jared Coreau (Detroit)? Jared left a year early, started in the ECHL and made his NHL debut this year.
          Of course there will always be players that spend years in the SPHL and ECHL and AHL that suddenly catch a break. The vast majority don't. And their path to the Big Show is not made faster by leaving school early.

In my original post I did say that if Redmond sticks in the AHL or splits time in the NHL good for him. Jonathon Quick fits this example. Came out after his sophomore year. Started in the ECHL and got called up pretty quickly (pun intended) to the NHL. Started the next season in the AHL and again got called up to the NHL to stay.

Scott Darling would be an example at the other end of the spectrum. Left Maine after two years for the SPHL and then three years in the ECHL and CHL. Another two years in the AHL and is finally backing up Crawford in the NHL. More power to the guy for sticking with it and getting his chance at the big time. But, after leaving school early it took seven seasons to finally make it to NHL in a back up roll. I seriously doubt his leaving school two years early got him to the NHL two years sooner...

As to JJ leaving Tech after one year. I recently had a conversation with someone from Edmonton who was in town to take in one last game as the Joe. In an off the record conversation his opinion was that JJ would have found himself up with the Oilers in roughly the same amount of time even if he had have stayed in school another year or two..

Comment

Originally posted by The Troll mtu86 View Post
            Of course there will always be players that spend years in the SPHL and ECHL and AHL that suddenly catch a break. The vast majority don't. And their path to the Big Show is not made faster by leaving school early.

In my original post I did say that if Redmond sticks in the AHL or splits time in the NHL good for him. Jonathon Quick fits this example. Came out after his sophomore year. Started in the ECHL and got called up pretty quickly (pun intended) to the NHL. Started the next season in the AHL and again got called up to the NHL to stay.

Scott Darling would be an example at the other end of the spectrum. Left Maine after two years for the SPHL and then three years in the ECHL and CHL. Another two years in the AHL and is finally backing up Crawford in the NHL. More power to the guy for sticking with it and getting his chance at the big time. But, after leaving school early it took seven seasons to finally make it to NHL in a back up roll. I seriously doubt his leaving school two years early got him to the NHL two years sooner...

As to JJ leaving Tech after one year. I recently had a conversation with someone from Edmonton who was in town to take in one last game as the Joe. In an off the record conversation his opinion was that JJ would have found himself up with the Oilers in roughly the same amount of time even if he had have stayed in school another year or two..
            but this way for JJ, he's done with his ELC sooner, which seems to be important to the guys that do make it...

I think it's safe to say that if you spend more than 1.5 years in the ECHL, your path to the NHL is going to be very difficult at least as a goalie.
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Let's be honest though, for Darling to have any hope of a hockey career, he probably needed a change of scenery after two rough years at Maine. It was either that, or finish his degree and go pro in something other than sports.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                Let's be honest though, for Darling to have any hope of a hockey career, he probably needed a change of scenery after two rough years at Maine. It was either that, or finish his degree and go pro in something other than sports.
                I don't disagree with that assessment.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                  but this way for JJ, he's done with his ELC sooner, which seems to be important to the guys that do make it...

I think it's safe to say that if you spend more than 1.5 years in the ECHL, your path to the NHL is going to be very difficult at least as a goalie.
                  Agree on both points. The CBA has as much, or more, to do with kids leaving early, than their actual readiness to make the jump. Best of luck to 'em and hope it works out. In many cases it doesn't. In my opinion they weren't getting the best of advice from those around them..

Comment

Agree on both points. The CBA has as much, or more, to do with kids leaving early, than their actual readiness to make the jump. Best of luck to 'em and hope it works out. In many cases it doesn't. In my opinion they weren't getting the best of advice from those around them..
                    Might it be that the agent himself get's a commission on the salary and thus it's in His best interest to get the kid to sign as opposed to the kids best interest?

Comment

• Originally posted by The Troll mtu86 View Post

Except JJ wouldn't have been paid for that other year or two at school. For goalies, the ECHL is a good step. You get regular contact from your goalie coach and you play more games at a higher level than the WCHA.
                      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

You know I've been thinking about competitiveness, more specifically what makes an athlete competitive and successful. Take Roger Federer. He's very quiet. He doesn't brag, but underneath that guy is unbelievably competitive. He must work ungodly hours on his game. And here he is, 37 years old and a God among men. The best tennis player in history, and someone that other tennis players only wish they could be. 7 years ago they said he was finished. No one over 30 had ever won a grand slam, so he should just pack it in. He's on the downhill,... they said. How wrong they were. Just take a look at what he's done lately. Now THAT is a competitive guy. THAT is a guy to emulate.

There's no hiding out in Tennis. There are no shifts off. You can't dog your back check.It's just you, and ten million people watching every tiny mistake.
                        Also I believe he's one of the top paid, if not the top paid, athlete in the world.
                        So what does it take to make it,? well he's showing what.

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                          You know I've been thinking about competitiveness, more specifically what makes an athlete competitive and successful. Take Roger Federer. He's very quiet. He doesn't brag, but underneath that guy is unbelievably competitive. He must work ungodly hours on his game. And here he is, 37 years old and a God among men. The best tennis player in history, and someone that other tennis players only wish they could be. 7 years ago they said he was finished. No one over 30 had ever won a grand slam, so he should just pack it in. He's on the downhill,... they said. How wrong they were. Just take a look at what he's done lately. Now THAT is a competitive guy. THAT is a guy to emulate.

There's no hiding out in Tennis. There are no shifts off. You can't dog your back check.It's just you, and ten million people watching every tiny mistake.
                          Also I believe he's one of the top paid, if not the top paid, athlete in the world.
                          So what does it take to make it,? well he's showing what.
                          As long as I've been involved in the game, going back to playing as a kid, it's always bothered me when I see someone with all kinds of natural hits, but not a lot of heart, guts or desire. Then I see a kid that works is butt off, studies video, does all the extras just to pull on the sweater and maybe get an occasional skate on the 4th line, but just doesn't have the physical tools. Unfortunately you either have a heart or you don't. And in many cases, you either have the measurables or you don't. I've always admired that kid that outperforms his abilities.
                          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                            Might it be that the agent himself get's a commission on the salary and thus it's in His best interest to get the kid to sign as opposed to the kids best interest?
                            No doubt. Might be a good question to ask Mel.

Comment

Except JJ wouldn't have been paid for that other year or two at school. For goalies, the ECHL is a good step. You get regular contact from your goalie coach and you play more games at a higher level than the WCHA.
                              You win... JJ is paid.

More games, more chances to get hurt,, right?

From what I've read most ECHL teams do not employ a full time goalie coach. Goalie coaches in the E split time with the AHL affiliate. And in many cases they also have scouting duties for potential 'tending prospects. Figure in less practice time, as well as the time on the road, and I doubt goalies are getting much more individual focus from their coach. If anything they probably get less...

Comment

• Originally posted by The Troll mtu86 View Post
                                You win... JJ is paid.

More games, more chances to get hurt,, right?

From what I've read most ECHL teams do not employ a full time goalie coach. Goalie coaches in the E split time with the AHL affiliate. And in many cases they also have scouting duties for potential 'tending prospects. Figure in less practice time, as well as the time on the road, and I doubt goalies are getting much more individual focus from their coach. If anything they probably get less...
                                You're absolutely right. There isn't a goalie coach that spends 200.% with an ECHL team. But they will spend a lot of time working with the goalie in person and, in these days, breaking down video online. It's not the be all end all in goalie development, but many NHL teams use the ECHL as a step in the ladder.

Comment

Working...
                                X