Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MICHIGAN TECH 2017 OFF-SEASON - We're Adding to the Trophy Case & Keeping Pearson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    I would love to do a weekend in Canton/Potsdam. They sound like NY's Houghton/Hancock

But who knows how it works out financially?
    What do you think would be the financial difference in trading flights with Clarkson vs a couple home & home NC w LSSU in the years you only play 2x? Of course, if Mel leaves for Ann Arbor, the $250,000 buyout that will have to be paid will ease the finances.
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Re: MICHIGAN TECH 2017 OFF-SEASON - We're Adding to the Trophy Case & Keeping Pearson

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
      What do you think would be the financial difference in trading flights with Clarkson vs a couple home & home NC w LSSU in the years you only play 2x? Of course, if Mel leaves for Ann Arbor, the $250,000 buyout that will have to be paid will ease the finances.
      There is no value to playing LSSU in NC.
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
        From a PWR perspective, I agree 100%. But playing zero NC games at home or 1 or 2, doesn't have a lot of value either.
        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Maybe no value for MTU but some value for LSSU.

NO insight on campus about tMel but Mroz is retiring from Pres and becoming faculty, search is on for 4 college dean's and need to fill 2 engineering endowed chairs. Talk about change over. Need tMel to keep it all stable.

Comment

• Re: MICHIGAN TECH 2017 OFF-SEASON - We're Adding to the Trophy Case & Keeping Pearson

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
            From a PWR perspective, I agree 100%. But playing zero NC games at home or 1 or 2, doesn't have a lot of value either.
            I think that was just a one year blip. Not really that worried about it. We have 3 contractual home series booked, just not sure when we'll see everyone (Tentatively ASU next season, UMD/Wis the year after)
            I don't really want this but with the GLi I think Mel would be happy with three different 2 for 1s with one of the three teams at home over the course of three seasons.
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
              I think that was just a one year blip. Not really that worried about it. We have 3 contractual home series booked, just not sure when we'll see everyone (Tentatively ASU next season, UMD/Wis the year after)
              I don't really want this but with the GLi I think Mel would be happy with three different 2 for 1s with one of the three teams at home over the course of three seasons.
              Do these work like it does in football where a lot of the time the bigger school will pay out money to the small school to get them in there?
              2005-2006: 7-25-6
              2006-2007: 18-17-5
              2007-2008: 14-20-5
              2008-2009: 6-25-7
              2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

• Originally posted by bose301s View Post
                Do these work like it does in football where a lot of the time the bigger school will pay out money to the small school to get them in there?
                In a one series matchup, there is almost always a guaranteed payout to the visiting school. However, many 2-for-1's have no payout.

Comment

I do believe Wisconsin was a 1-for-1 series swap, although I'm not sure Granato will be as amenable toward even swaps with smaller schools.

Comment

I want to add on to the point I was making yesterday about the involuntary boarding of an airliner. You are entitled to compensation if the airline can't get you to your destination within one hour. if they can, even if you are involuntary you do not get anything. however if it's 2 to 4 hours you are entitled to double the fare. if it's over 4 hours it's quadruple the one way fare, up to 1350.
                    So that's why they really want you to volunteer. If you do you generally get a voucher for standby travel of 300 dollars worth generally or if you bid and get it, whatever you bid.
                    So an involuntary denial is far more valuable, but getting it is the thing. I do know people who make a ton of money by finding flights that are usually over and booking themselves on those. Then they get the money and the airfare for the next two trips is paid for.
                    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Back to the Mel discussion; Checkout the daily Mining Gazette this morning.

http://www.mininggazette.com/sports/...r-next-season/

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm still holding my breath.

Comment

Karnosky's interview with Mel yesterday is in the Gazette:
                        Pearson’s mindset is currently set on preparing for next season with the Huskies.

“We are going to face our biggest challenge, probably, the next couple of years, as we get better,” said Pearson. “As you get better players, the tendency is to lose those players early. That’s where you really have to do your diligence, and do a good job, and be prepared for those losses.”

Pearson is also proud of what he is accomplishing at Michigan Tech, but he is focused on continuing to build the program.

“I have a really good job,” said Pearson. “I really like the people I work for. I like the people we have on our team. I like our staff. I like the community.

“So, I have a good gig, as good as it gets.”
                        Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                        USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

So....does this mean we can breathe now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tech_EE View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            I think he'd be happy to stay, but is open to listening to offers. Michigan is probably the only other job he would realistically consider. He also said
                            As for Michigan, according to Pearson, the Wolverines will be hard-pressed to find another coach like Berenson.

“Somebody told me they would like to dial it back 20 years and find another Red,” said Pearson. “But, you are not going to find another Red. They broke the mold when they built him.”

Pearson feels he owes a tremendous amount to Berenson for being a great mentor to him as he worked through the consistent success the Wolverines had while he was there as an assistant and now as a head coach with Michigan Tech.

“You couldn’t ask for a better mentor, not only the hockey part of it, but the life part of it, just the way he carries himself, just the way he lives his life,” said Pearson. “It’s a great example to be around that for so many years and just see how he goes through his daily routine.

“It was a pleasure to work with him, and for him. Obviously, he helped shape me in so many different ways, no doubt about it.”

Pearson remains in contact with Berenson, and looks to his mentor for advice.
                            Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Tech_EE View Post
                              I think you breathe deeply as soon as the press conference announcing someone other than Mel Pearson as the next Michigan men's ice hockey head coach is complete. Until now: shallow breaths, no sudden movements.

GFM
                              Geof F. Morris
                              UAH BSE MAE 2002
                              UAHHockey.com

Comment

As for "turning back the clock and finding another Red", I think Muckalt can be that guy for someone. He has the passion, knowledge, curiosity, temperament, experience, attitude to be a really great coach and to change his approach with whatever the times and personnel require (an underrated quality). He's had remarkable success coaching up the young men at Tech and in the USHL. The bigger obstacle would be his presumed wish to move up to the NHL relatively soon, not sure he would settle in anywhere in the college ranks for 30 years.
                                edit: The Detroit News has some telling interviews.
                                Last edited by geezer; 04-12-2017, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X