CWHL - The Best Kept Secret in Women's Hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CWHL - The Best Kept Secret in Women's Hockey

Looks like I missed it again this year and I've been reminding myself that it takes place sometime in the next week or two...Wrong.

Their website is even confusing and appears to list the Championship Game yesterday as Game #1...leading one to believe that it's now a series, but with no further info on their website.

The attendance is stated as being "0" for yesterday's game! What a schmozzle.

Is that new league in the US having any success or has their mysterious deep pocketed donor disappeared without a trace?

http://www.thecwhl.com/les-canadienn...7-clarkson-cup

Re: CWHL - The Best Kept Secret in Women's Hockey

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
    Is that new league in the US having any success or has their mysterious deep pocketed donor disappeared without a trace?
    The NWHL is still active and is holding their championship on March 19 at Tsongas Center in Lowell, Massachusetts. I read last November that it had cut salaries in half as income was not matching projections, but I've read nothing since.

I haven't gone to a NWHL game, but in December I finally made it to a CWHL game between Boston and Montreal. The Blades ended up being a very bad team this past season and it will be interesting to see what happens to the team as the NWHL Boston Pride has been the best team in that league's two seasons. I don't think two women's teams can survive in Boston and at the moment I think the NWHL Pride are the team in a better position.

Sean
    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
    BU Hockey highlights and extras
    NCAA Hockey Financials
    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
    I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
      The NWHL is still active and is holding their championship on March 19 at Tsongas Center in Lowell, Massachusetts. I read last November that it had cut salaries in half as income was not matching projections, but I've read nothing since.

I haven't gone to a NWHL game, but in December I finally made it to a CWHL game between Boston and Montreal. The Blades ended up being a very bad team this past season and it will be interesting to see what happens to the team as the NWHL Boston Pride has been the best team in that league's two seasons. I don't think two women's teams can survive in Boston and at the moment I think the NWHL Pride are the team in a better position.

Sean
      Thanks for the update Sean.

Your mentioning that the salaries were reduced is not surprising since I had heard last year that the anonymous donor was heading for the exit.

Just wondering if anyone caught the Clarkson Cup game on Sunday and if so what your impressions were of the quality of play?

Just found this on their site...it's a bit late but...

http://montreal.thecwhl.com/en/pouli...hl-awards-gala

Comment

Bump
        Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
        Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
        Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
          Thanks for the update Sean.

Your mentioning that the salaries were reduced is not surprising since I had heard last year that the anonymous donor was heading for the exit.

Just wondering if anyone caught the Clarkson Cup game on Sunday and if so what your impressions were of the quality of play?

Just found this on their site...it's a bit late but...

http://montreal.thecwhl.com/en/pouli...hl-awards-gala
          The CWHL has one thing that the NWHL doesn't: support from 3-4 NHL teams. Montreal for sure and I believe Toronto and Calgary. That certainly helps and the calibre of hockey is quite good.
          I just wish the two leagues would find common ground and merge.

Comment

I think the title of this thread highlights the main problem, that is for most sports fans the CWHL remains "the best kept secret in women's hockey". That, and for most sports fans in general, women's hockey remains somewhat of a secret, so in reality you're talking about a tiny niche within a small niche.

To survive in the long run any pro team needs to build a large enough fan base that generates enough revenue to at least cover the team's expenses. Maybe (and hopefully) some day...
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
              I think the title of this thread highlights the main problem, that is for most sports fans the CWHL remains "the best kept secret in women's hockey". That, and for most sports fans in general, women's hockey remains somewhat of a secret, so in reality you're talking about a tiny niche within a small niche.

To survive in the long run any pro team needs to build a large enough fan base that generates enough revenue to at least cover the team's expenses. Maybe (and hopefully) some day...

THIS

The second best kept secret in women’s hockey: NWHL

On the NWHL salary cuts
              http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nwhl...ries-1.3857931

On the "long-term vision"
              http://www.nwhl.zone/news_article/sh...rer_id=2748687

1. The season has been shortened “so national team players could be in peak condition for the World Championships and the coming Olympic year.”
              2. They are looking for neutral sites, “to gauge reaction to prospective expansion franchises.”
              3. “Although we will miss the Olympians and can’t wait to cheer them on, we have a great season in store for 2017-18.”
              4. “The League will continue paying players in Season 3.”

In short, they’re on life-support. Too bad, but no surprise.
              Last edited by thirdtime's . . .; 03-12-2017, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GTOWN View Post
                The CWHL has one thing that the NWHL doesn't: support from 3-4 NHL teams. Montreal for sure and I believe Toronto and Calgary. That certainly helps and the calibre of hockey is quite good.
                I know that the Boston Pride play at the Bruin's practice facility, the New York Riveters play at the New Jersey Devils' practice facility and the Buffalo Beauts play at the Harborcenter, which I believe the Sabres use as a practice facility. I'm not sure how much support the NHL teams might provide the NWHL teams, but it seems that three of the NWHL teams do have at least some support from NHL teams.

Also, as I write this I'm watching the Boston Pride at New York Riveters game on NESNplus and it is the second Boston-NY game I have seen on NESN this season.

Sean
                Last edited by Sean Pickett; 03-12-2017, 04:47 PM.

BU Hockey Games
                NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Originally posted by thirdtime's . . . View Post
                  In short, they’re on life-support. Too bad, but no surprise.
                  That's not how I read the articles, but I do agree that the NHWL is having money issues. Then again, how much does the CWHL pay out in players salaries?

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                  NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

So, in the end I went to the NWHL Championship game this evening at Tsongas Center after watching the Clarkson-Wisconsin game on the BTN. It was very much a contrast with the NCAA Championship game, as Boston near totally dominated Buffalo for most of the 60 minutes. However, The Beauts took advantage of their chances and held on to win 3-2. Megan Bozek scored on Buffalo's first shot on goal just 1:44 into the game to put pressure on Boston, which, according to announcers of their regular season finale, had rarely trailed in a game this season. The Beauts doubled up the score at the 13 minute mark of the first when Emily Janiga scored on their 8th shot of the game. At that point Boston only had nine shots, but the game became a shooting gallery for the Pride as they took over, piling on 53 shots the rest of the way to just 5 for the Beauts. However, 8 and half minutes into the second period Corinne Buie scored Buffalo's third and final goal, on their 12th shot of the game, on a beautiful individual effort. After that the Beauts only had one more shot on goal the rest of the game and no shots for the last 22 minutes of the game. However Brianne McLaughlin was up to the task and keep the Pride off the scoreboard until Alex Carpenter finially put the puck past her on the powerplay with 4 and half minutes left. Boston pulled their goalie and keep the pressure on, finally scoring again with 4.2 seconds remaining as Hilary Knight netted Boston's second goal. For her efforts Brianne McLaughlin was named MVP and deservedly so.

I didn't hear them announce an attendance figure and I never walked around the entire arena, so I never got a great look at the home side stands. However, my best guess is that there were about 1,000 fans in attendance for the game, almost all Boston Pride supporters. I only saw three local girl's teams at the game, one which played a scrimmage, and two others, neither which had more than 8 or 9 girls.

I though the ticket price was slightly high at $28, but the arena was well staffed, the concessions were open and the arena is one of the best college rinks in the east. I think it was a great place to hold the NWHL championship game and I've a bit disappointed that more fans didn't show up.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                    NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Nice article on Dani Rylan and the NWHL:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/19/s...dayspaper&_r=0

Comment

I know that the Boston Pride play at the Bruin's practice facility, the New York Riveters play at the New Jersey Devils' practice facility and the Buffalo Beauts play at the Harborcenter, which I believe the Sabres use as a practice facility. I'm not sure how much support the NHL teams might provide the NWHL teams, but it seems that three of the NWHL teams do have at least some support from NHL teams.

Sean
                        Who says they get that ice time for free?

Those NHL teams would only be supporting the women's teams if they are "donating" the ice time to them. There are a lot of organizations that use the HarborCenter. Anyone can if you buy the ice time...
                        Russell Jaslow
                        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                          Who says they get that ice time for free?

Those NHL teams would only be supporting the women's teams if they are "donating" the ice time to them. There are a lot of organizations that use the HarborCenter. Anyone can if you buy the ice time...
                          I have no idea if they get ice time for free, nor did I say they did. There are many ways of supporting the women's teams besides "donating" the ice time, and the Bruins having the Pride play at their practice rink is one of those. The Boston Blades of the CWHL don't have such an arrangement and have had to play at numerous college rinks over the years. This season they played at 5 different "home" rinks, including one game at Veterans Memorial Rink in Somerville and another at Boch Ice Center in Dedham. Having all the Pride home games at Warrior Ice Arena is a huge step up from having to play 12 "home" games in 5 different rinks, 3 not even in Boston. Furthermore, the Bruins apparently supported having the Pride play the CWHL Les Cannadiennes as part of the 2016 NHL Winter Classic and not the Blades.

On another note, the NWHL signed at least two college players immediate after their seasons and NCAA eligiblity ended: Hayley Scamurra of Northeastern and Mary Parker of BU and Harvard. I hope that if the NWHL is successful this is not a harbinger of things to come.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                          NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

On another note, the NWHL signed at least two college players immediate after their seasons and NCAA eligiblity ended: Hayley Scamurra of Northeastern and Mary Parker of BU and Harvard. I hope that if the NWHL is successful this is not a harbinger of things to come.
                            Why? Lots of male NCAA players head right to the pros after their college season ends.

Comment

CWHL just announced that Kunlun Red Star as their newest member.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                              X