2017 Playoffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 Playoffs

Been a lurker for a while but finally decided to join! Being this is the best time of the year playoff hockey!!! I thought I would start off with who you guys have for being the favorites to take it home this year and who are your dark horses of the tournament?

I like Steven’s Point to repeat this year. Steven’s Point is going to be a tough out for anyone but I feel like they have the easiest route to the championship game. The toughest matchup for them will be if they play Norwich who only has one loss on the year. Steven’s Point v. Norwich game will be can’t miss!

My dark horse is Augsburg love the way they have come together this year and winning back to back MIAC championships. They have lots of skilled and experienced players from last year’s team they won’t be distracted by the bright lights of the playoffs! I think they have what it takes to beat St. Norberts this season and surprise some people.

Just like any hockey a hot goalie in the playoffs can be HUGE!

What do you all think? Lets get some good discussions

Re: 2017 Playoffs

Welcome to the forum! Its a tough call for me but I have Norwich, Wisconsin Stevens-Point, St. Norbert, and Plattsburgh all going to Utica. I for one wouldn't take Plattsburgh lightly, they sure have a youth movement going on up there. A lot of young talent that could possibly get them to the Frozen Four. Don't know a ton about the rest of the field, but either way, it's going to be a great tournament. Excited to see who does get to Utica.
    Utica Pioneers Hockey
    2012-13 Frozen Four Semi-Finalist
    2017-18, 2018-19, 2019-20 UCHC Regular Season Champs
    2017-18 UCHC Tournament Champions
    2019-20 UCHC Tournament Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Dean Pritchard View Post
      Been a lurker for a while but finally decided to join! Being this is the best time of the year playoff hockey!!! I thought I would start off with who you guys have for being the favorites to take it home this year and who are your dark horses of the tournament?

I like Steven’s Point to repeat this year. Steven’s Point is going to be a tough out for anyone but I feel like they have the easiest route to the championship game. The toughest matchup for them will be if they play Norwich who only has one loss on the year. Steven’s Point v. Norwich game will be can’t miss!

My dark horse is Augsburg love the way they have come together this year and winning back to back MIAC championships. They have lots of skilled and experienced players from last year’s team they won’t be distracted by the bright lights of the playoffs! I think they have what it takes to beat St. Norberts this season and surprise some people.

Not sure about my contribution to a good discussion but I agree, I think Augsburg will have a better showing this year vs St Norbert and hopefully get the win. This year they clearly took each team's best shot during the regular season so hopefully they are battle tested and ready for this game. That said St. Norbert is a very good D3 hockey team. It will be tough but it can be done, especially with great goaltending.

Comment

Taking off my Norwich homer hat, I'd pick SNC as the favorite. I think they have the easiest road to Utica of any team (though I admit I know next to nothing about Augsburg, I just know that I'd pick UWSP and Adrian over Augsburg). And once they get there, they're also just a really good team.

For the dark horse I'd pick Trinity. They won it two years ago so they have the experience and have done it before. Plus the NESCAC was really good this year with an insane amount of parity and it probably prepared them well.

Always tough to say how the East will match-up with the West. The last few years I think it's acknowledged that the West has been a little better, but I think this has been a bit overstated as evidenced by Trinity winning it two years ago and UMass-Boston taking SNC to double overtime last year in the semifinals. Who knows. By-and-large, I think the whole argument about one region being better than another region is misguided to begin with.
        Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
          UMass-Boston taking SNC to double overtime last year in the semifinals.
          In perhaps the craziest playoff game ever.

By-and-large, I think the whole argument about one region being better than another region is misguided to begin with.
          Where's the fun in that?!
          Russell Jaslow
          [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
          U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Dean Pritchard View Post

Welcome to the board!

Out west here... I am tempted to go watch Adrian/UWSP, just because of the history with those two, see how Adrian does with players & coach suspended, etc. I would pick UWSP to win.

I wouldn't count Augsburg as an easy out for SNC - and SNC has been too inconsistent to be a prohibitive favorite. Hopefully, the home team wins.

Now, a gentle remark - but you'll drive people (like me!) crazy with "Steven's Point" and "St. Norberts." For the former, it's Stevens Point - no apostrophe. UWSP is good, or UW-Stevens Point, and even the NCAA's somewhat odd "Wis.-Stevens Point" works (I say odd because no one around the state uses that). As for SNC, it's singular. It's not like some of the St. Mary's, or others. Just St. Norbert, SNC or St. Norbert College please...
            Last edited by GB Puck Fan; 03-06-2017, 03:57 PM.
            St. Norbert College Green Knights
            NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
            NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
            NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
            ---
            SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by GB Puck Fan View Post
              Welcome to the board!

- but you'll drive people (like me!) crazy with "Steven's Point" and "St. Norberts." For the former, it's Stevens Point - no apostrophe. UWSP is good, or UW-Stevens Point, and even the NCAA's somewhat odd "Wis.-Stevens Point" works (I say odd because no one around the state uses that). As for SNC, it's singular. It's not like some of the St. Mary's, or others. Just St. Norbert, SNC or St. Norbert College please...
              So it's University of Wisconsin Steven's Point and St. Norbert's College
              2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
              2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
              2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
              2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                Beauty!

Comment

Ima gonna keep referring to Eau Claire as "EC" then just to upset the easterners
                  St. Norbert College Green Knights
                  NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
                  NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
                  NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
                  ---
                  SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

You are a "Persistent Cuss".......LOL

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Humm. I thought it was the University of Wisconsin's Stevens Point.
                      Larry Normandin
                      SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
                      WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
                        Humm. I thought it was the University of Wisconsin's Stevens Point.
                        You too Norm

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

No, but you will figure it out when they are playing in the National Championship game.

Comment

Originally posted by oldauggie View Post
                            No, but you will figure it out when they are playing in the National Championship game.
                            Do you mean when they would have been playing in the consolation game if it were still played?
                            2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                            2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                            2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                            2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Do you mean when they would have been playing in the consolation game if it were still played?
                              Oh that's right! Norwich and Augsburg will be playing for all the marbles.

Comment

Working...
                              X