PDA

View Full Version : UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 46

Fishman'81
06-21-2019, 09:50 PM
Verbal commits have been bailing on Maine for years and way before Red

Yeah, but much better ones.

Maine doesn't have any leeway anymore. Even the marginal guys bail on Red. The program is swirling ever more deeply down the drain, apparently.

BlackI
06-22-2019, 05:29 PM
Looks like Tim Gould is headed to Alberni of the BCHL.

https://www.bclocalnews.com/sports/bchl-alberni-valley-bulldogs-making-moves-in-the-offseason/

Fishman'81
06-24-2019, 08:49 PM
Looks like Tim Gould is headed to Alberni of the BCHL.

https://www.bclocalnews.com/sports/bchl-alberni-valley-bulldogs-making-moves-in-the-offseason/

Was he any good, on paper?

amkirby10
06-24-2019, 11:58 PM

From what I recall, Gould is considered a decent get. 6-23-29 in 54 GP, but its obviously nearly impossible to evaluate defensemen on stats alone. But going to the BCHL dosen't mean he's not coming to Maine I'm fairly sure, junior A leagues are common places for Canadian players who want to maintain NCAA eligibility.

Ma#1ne Hky
06-25-2019, 03:05 AM
From what I recall, Gould is considered a decent get. 6-23-29 in 54 GP, but its obviously nearly impossible to evaluate defensemen on stats alone. But going to the BCHL dosen't mean he's not coming to Maine I'm fairly sure, junior A leagues are common places for Canadian players who want to maintain NCAA eligibility.Pretty sure your right on playing in the BCHL that he can play NCAA Hockey.

walrus
06-25-2019, 03:42 AM
Pretty sure your right on playing in the BCHL that he can play NCAA Hockey.

Paul Kariya played in BCHL

BlackI
06-25-2019, 05:43 AM
Paul Kariya played in BCHL

When he was 16. :)

BlackI
06-25-2019, 05:51 AM

Yes, he is rated 3.75 out of 5 according to Nuetral Zone. Which is better than most of our recruits on the blue line. Has been playing at Norte Dame of SK, CA for a while. Guessing this is a good move for him. Was hoping he’d come to UMaine this season. Maybe he wants and needs another year of juniors. I think he will be a good one. From Moncton area too, so nice to also have local eastern Canadians.

BlackI
06-25-2019, 06:00 AM
Pretty sure your right on playing in the BCHL that he can play NCAA Hockey.

Yes, junior A hockey in Canada is where a lot of NCAA players develop and retain rights to play in NCAA. Major junior is premiere league for high end Canadian kids where they get stipends... and NCAA considers them no longer amateurs. As such, they lose NCAA eligibility. That is, unless you want to play for North Dakota. Somehow they can get a major junior player where the player only loses number of games played. Conversely Maine couldn’t get Tyler Johnson in, who only played a game in OHL. That all made a **** ton of sense to NCAA... I guess.

islander98
06-25-2019, 09:52 AM
Yes, junior A hockey in Canada is where a lot of NCAA players develop and retain rights to play in NCAA. Major junior is premiere league for high end Canadian kids where they get stipends... and NCAA considers them no longer amateurs. As such, they lose NCAA eligibility. That is, unless you want to play for North Dakota. Somehow they can get a major junior player where the player only loses number of games played. Conversely Maine couldn’t get Tyler Johnson in, who only played a game in OHL. That all made a **** ton of sense to NCAA... I guess.

This is technically correct but I believe that it is a sweeping generalization in terms of talent division. This presumes that none of the "high end Canadian kids" want to play NCAA hockey. Each year, more and more Canadian kids choose the NCAA path, and avoid playing in the CHL.

Ma#1ne Hky
06-25-2019, 02:44 PM
This is technically correct but I believe that it is a sweeping generalization in terms of talent division. This presumes that none of the "high end Canadian kids" want to play NCAA hockey. Each year, more and more Canadian kids choose the NCAA path, and avoid playing in the CHL.Yes and just check this years Draft...NCAA up and CHL down.

Ma#1ne Hky
06-25-2019, 02:47 PM
Paul Kariya played in BCHLOh ya I remember that kid...:D....just was wondering if there may or may not have been changes by the beloved NC$$ on certain Leagues in Oh Canada...

BlackI
06-29-2019, 07:25 PM
Oh ya I remember that kid...:D....just was wondering if there may or may not have been changes by the beloved NC$$ on certain Leagues in Oh Canada...

I am curious if the Maine coaching staff has reached out to this player Murray of Youngstown(USHL). Big left wing that can score goals. Might help compensate for loss of Pearson if he can score for Maine. Seems like a system fit with Maine’s affinity for size/ power forward.
https://www.wgrz.com/article/sports/decision-looms-for-sabres-murray-as-he-ends-development-camp/71-1c2434a5-dde6-444c-9776-8dec4c908a2f

FLHockeyMom
06-29-2019, 07:36 PM
I am curious if the Maine coaching staff has reached out to this player Murray of Youngstown(USHL). Big left wing that can score goals. Might help compensate for loss of Pearson if he can score for Maine. Seems like a system fit with Maine’s affinity for size/ power forward.
https://www.wgrz.com/article/sports/decision-looms-for-sabres-murray-as-he-ends-development-camp/71-1c2434a5-dde6-444c-9776-8dec4c908a2f

Murray, previously of Penn State, is presently committed to Miami of Ohio so if he goes the NCAA route (again), I doubt he'd switch affiliations at this late date.

BlackI
06-29-2019, 07:44 PM
Murray, previously of Penn State, is presently committed to Miami of Ohio so if he goes the NCAA route (again), I doubt he'd switch affiliations at this late date.

This article implies he is not going to Miami anymore. And it even states he will look at other schools.
https://theathletic.com/1053711/2019/06/29/you-just-kind-of-roll-with-the-punches-sabres-prospect-brett-murray-carves-his-own-route-in-his-own-way/

This is the reason I brought it up, because it seems he is considering other schools.

FLHockeyMom
06-29-2019, 07:47 PM
This article implies he is not going to Miami anymore. And it even states he will look at other schools.
https://theathletic.com/1053711/2019/06/29/you-just-kind-of-roll-with-the-punches-sabres-prospect-brett-murray-carves-his-own-route-in-his-own-way/

This is the reason I brought it up, because it seems he is considering other schools.

My apologies, I thought the article was rather brief but in retrospect it must have cut off being behind a paywall and all. Carry on and good luck!

BlackI
06-29-2019, 08:16 PM
My apologies, I thought the article was rather brief but in retrospect it must have cut off being behind a paywall and all. Carry on and good luck!

No biggies.

On a different note I am trying to find out where certain Maine recruits are playing. It appears as though Josh Langford did not make the Sioux Falls initial roster, which is disappointing to see. Also, it seems like Brad Morrissey wasn’t in Tri-Cities tryout camp. I am not sure if he is playing in USHL this year?

Fishman'81
06-29-2019, 10:11 PM

IDK, Blackie, merely replacing a Pearson isn't going to right the ship. This program is broken.

Ma#1ne Hky
06-30-2019, 12:02 AM
IDK, Blackie, merely replacing a Pearson isn't going to right the ship. This program is broken.Fallen down and can't get back up:)

BlackI
07-01-2019, 02:04 AM
IDK, Blackie, merely replacing a Pearson isn't going to right the ship. This program is broken.

Yes, we should follow your lead and give up...

F offf... I still want my bears to win. Got it?