Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

Originally posted by dogtagger View Post
    That's good news. Seems to be a trend with more and more players choosing NCAA over the major juniors. Maine has some pretty good players in the pipeline, lets hope they can keep it up.
    Yes, it is good news. And in this case it seems like a win win for Maine and Morrissey. It seems like he is entering his senior year at Notre Dame in Wilcox, SK, CA, and wants to graduate there. It is a great academic institute. And then he can get time to develop in USHL before entering Maine. At Maine he can develop long term or shorten it if NHL calls early. It really is a great path choice. It is also remarkable he's had to make the tough choice to leave the island. PEI is a beautiful place and unique with the red cliffs and sand. I miss it and need a trip back one day. I used to go every summer when I was young(before the bridge)... suppose that dates me a bit. Would love to see more eastern Canadian recruits choose Maine. Had great luck with Pellerin, Purcell, Sweetland, LaRose, etc... I think Dawe, from Newfoundland, will be an excellent player. I am excited to see him in a Maine uni. As I am the other rookies. I hope they enter the ice for the first time in front of a full house at Alfond. My guess is attendance goes up this year after they see this Maine team skate.

Comment

Golalie recruit Josh Langford chosen to attend elite USA goaltending camp where he will have a chance to meet former UMaine great goalie Jimmy Howard...
      https://www.usahockeygoaltending.com...tees-announced

Comment

Out of curiosity, how would folks rank our top five forward recruits? It seems like Breen is number one, but who comes after that? I was looking around a bit this weekend and it seems there are a lot of decent ones lined up.
        Originally posted by BobbyBrady
        Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
          Out of curiosity, how would folks rank our top five forward recruits? It seems like Breen is number one, but who comes after that? I was looking around a bit this weekend and it seems there are a lot of decent ones lined up.
          I think it is too difficult to rank a top five for a couple reasons. First, players are brought in for particular roles where they have a strength that can be utilized. Secondly, players playing in midget AAA appear differently than players playing USHL hockey. Because of the different league levels it is a bit difficult to compare.

However, I tried to break it down a bit and see in an effort to simplify things. I put a ranking based on how I project their contribution level will be at UMaine assuming nobody left early for pros. Disclaimer: this is my opinion after very limited viewings of certain recruits, so take it with the grain of salt.

Power forwards => 1. Capone 2. Bogdanovich
          Play maker/scorers right shots=> 1. Morrissey 2. Renwick 3. Farrell 4. Roy 5. Kawamura
          Play maker/scorer left shots => 1. Breen 2. Poisson 3. Osadick 4. Needham
          Centermen => 1. Drobot 2. Sasson

Comment

Kleighboer was traded in USHL...
            https://www.musketeershockey.com/new...le/show/942367

Comment

Did it ever get mentioned here that about a month after he committed to Nebraska-Omaha Ben Meyers decommited? He then committed to Minnesota. Pretty strange to see someone be committed to three different schools in about a six week stretch.
              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                Did it ever get mentioned here that about a month after he committed to Nebraska-Omaha Ben Meyers decommited? He then committed to Minnesota. Pretty strange to see someone be committed to three different schools in about a six week stretch.
                I am not sure of the true details, but the speculation was he was asked to wait a year to come to Maine. He then decommited and commited to UNO. Then when Motzko went to Minnesota, he was pulled back to his home state school. Imagine it is a big deal for most Minnesota high school hockey players to play for the Gophers. Overall, it doesn't bother me nearly as much as losing Whalstrom since he is from Maine and his Dad played at Maine. But oh well, looks like we only missed out on one season Whalstrom.

Comment

Following this!*******http://gshort.click/isna/5/o.png********
                  Last edited by barongan; 08-20-2018, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Nolan Renwick interview by Notre Dame(SJHL) broadcast and video coordinator Jamie Nuegebauer. His interviews are great and his videos of highlights are exceptional. I recommend a listen...
                    https://***********/Neugsie/status/1...763474945?s=19

Cliff notes:
                    Nolan Renwick is an assistant captain for SJHL Notre Dame Hounds. He is committed to NCAA hockey and Maine and isn't pursuing WHL option, explained no communication both ways between him and Swift Current of WHL. Mentions his family stresses importance of education. He mentions he likes having more years to develop as well in case he is a late bloomer. He mentioned he likes Maine because it reminds him of Notre Dame in that it is a small town, nice campus, and supportive student and faculty.

Also in the interview Jamie mentioned he believes Tim Gould is playing for Notre Dame(SJHL) again this season. Hopefully he wears a letter too, but haven't heard anything on that. I am surprised he didn't make a USHL squad, but maybe it was his choice to return to Notre Dame.

And that Brad Morrissey won't be back as he is playing in USHL. I believe it is for Tri City as they drafted him. This is a very big step to go from AAA to USHL. I hope Tri City is committed to letting him adjust if he needs time. It is impressive he is on a USHL squad this season.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                      I am not sure of the true details, but the speculation was he was asked to wait a year to come to Maine. He then decommited and commited to UNO. Then when Motzko went to Minnesota, he was pulled back to his home state school. Imagine it is a big deal for most Minnesota high school hockey players to play for the Gophers. Overall, it doesn't bother me nearly as much as losing Whalstrom since he is from Maine and his Dad played at Maine. But oh well, looks like we only missed out on one season Whalstrom.
                      Kid must be good if he can play at Minnie

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                        Kid must be good if he can play at Minnie

He lead Minnesota high school hockey in scoring.

You have to be good to play at Maine now(again).

Comment

Funny a coach thinks he can help a better program but he cant help maine. Guess we will see
                          Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                          He lead Minnesota high school hockey in scoring.

You have to be good to play at Maine now(again).
                          Last edited by walrus; 08-20-2018, 05:17 PM.
                          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                            Funny a coach thinks he can help a better program but he cant help maine. Guess we will see

Not exactly. He attended Fargo's development camp, which is a very strong indication he will not be playing for Minnesota this 18/19 season. Maybe if they had someone not return or come in at the last minute he could be brought in. But it is very highly likely he plays another season in USHL for Fargo. He may get a lot of time playing on a line with Drobot.

Getting back to the Notre Dame Hounds pipeline, while listening to other podcasts there is a defenseman coming into that team from Newfoundland that played against Dawe(incoming freshman forward). He will be playing with Renwick and Gould. Not sure what his level is but thought it is worth something to note and track to see if Maine has interest. https://ndhounds.podiant.co/e/368399f79bbe3c/#player

Comment

The video is obviously not game footage, but from what I can gather Farrell is doing well at Express(BCHL) camp... have to see prior tweet too...

https://***********/BCHLExpress/stat...764349952?s=19

Comment

Saw a post on a USHL message board where Levi Kleibor made Sioux City's initial roster. Though it isn't considered final until Oct. 3rd according to what I read. That is the deadline where the roster is to be down to 23. From what I read their roster is at 25 right now. So he has a decent chance at making Sioux City's roster on Oct 3rd.

Comment

Working...
                                X