Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
    On offense, yes. I think he has been fantastic playing point there. But I feel in his own zone he isn't strong in battles, doesn't pin well, and doesn't clear in front of the blue paint enough. I really am not knocking him as a college player, but I think he has a big hurdle ahead of him as a nhl defensemen. But who knows... I am often wrong.
    I think you might of forgotten about Michel's leg injury. He came back not at 100% and had struggled with his maneuverability. He made big play after big play in the defensive zone over the past few weeks. A pro contract does not mean that you are ready to play in the NHL. Being offered a pro crontract means a team likes your potential enough AND thinks that your development would benefit more in the AHL/ECHL. Under the more recent NHL collective bargaining agreements (since 2004 strike) a 2nd or 3rd year NCAA player is low financial risk compared to waited to after their 4th year. I've seen recruits from many organizations at the Alfond sizing him up. All around defensemen with leadership qualities are desired. I don't know if he is going to be offered or not but this has a very similar feeling and look to Renouf's junior year.
    Offensively Keeper has been everything he was billed as coming in. He has proved he belongs in NCAA. Still has work to do defensively though and his penalty discipline leavsomething to be desired.
    As for your other questions his brother is not D1 talent. Tralmaks won't be leaving the top line. Expect the Great Dane to take Vesey's spot alongside Doherty and Shea. Drobot will get his chances next year but I wouldn't go as far as penciling him in ahead of Housakos and Holesinsky at this point. Will be interesting to see if Holesinsky applies for medical redshirt. The injury status of players is shrouded in such mystery that it is tough to say if he has a case. I know he battled a leg injury throughout most of the year returned to action a couple of time and re-aggravated it. If he applies and is denied the media will never hear the light of day about it anyway. Time will tell.
    UMaine Black Bears Recruit Info Site GO BLUE!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bhall44 View Post
      Drobot will get his chances next year but I wouldn't go as far as penciling him in ahead of Housakos and Holesinsky at this point. Will be interesting to see if Holesinsky applies for medical redshirt. The injury status of players is shrouded in such mystery that it is tough to say if he has a case. I know he battled a leg injury throughout most of the year returned to action a couple of time and re-aggravated it. If he applies and is denied the media will never hear the light of day about it anyway. Time will tell.
      Ive been a big fan of Holesinsky every time I’ve seen him play, and I was stunned to learn he has zero points on the year; the way he’s played I expected him to get at least a few. I hope he gets plenty of chances next year and is all healed up, I think he could be a good third line center for us.

Comment

Originally posted by Bhall44 View Post
        I think you might of forgotten about Michel's leg injury. He came back not at 100% and had struggled with his maneuverability. He made big play after big play in the defensive zone over the past few weeks. A pro contract does not mean that you are ready to play in the NHL. Being offered a pro crontract means a team likes your potential enough AND thinks that your development would benefit more in the AHL/ECHL. Under the more recent NHL collective bargaining agreements (since 2004 strike) a 2nd or 3rd year NCAA player is low financial risk compared to waited to after their 4th year. I've seen recruits from many organizations at the Alfond sizing him up. All around defensemen with leadership qualities are desired. I don't know if he is going to be offered or not but this has a very similar feeling and look to Renouf's junior year.
        Offensively Keeper has been everything he was billed as coming in. He has proved he belongs in NCAA. Still has work to do defensively though and his penalty discipline leavsomething to be desired.
        As for your other questions his brother is not D1 talent. Tralmaks won't be leaving the top line. Expect the Great Dane to take Vesey's spot alongside Doherty and Shea. Drobot will get his chances next year but I wouldn't go as far as penciling him in ahead of Housakos and Holesinsky at this point. Will be interesting to see if Holesinsky applies for medical redshirt. The injury status of players is shrouded in such mystery that it is tough to say if he has a case. I know he battled a leg injury throughout most of the year returned to action a couple of time and re-aggravated it. If he applies and is denied the media will never hear the light of day about it anyway. Time will tell.
        Ok. Makes sense, I agree Keeper needs to take fewer penalties of the cheap variety. But other than that tough to find a weakness. I actually think he is strong in his own end. And the snipe wristers he showed a few times down near the face off circle is deadly.

On the lines I put Tralmaks and Great Dane there so they wouldn't play off wing. But if we assume Drobot doesn't beat out Housakos and Michel is gone then line up looks like this...

Fossier/Pearson/Tralmaks
        Schmit-Svestrup/Doherty*/Shea
        Westerlund/Pieper*/Robbins*
        Smith/Housakos/Dawe

Depth => Drobot/Holesinsky*/Perez*/Quinlivan*/Hock*/Poppalardo*

Keeper*/VMT
        Binner/Holway
        Butala/Muehlbauer*

Depth => Spicer/Kleiboer/Becker*/Herner*

Swayman

Depth => McGovern*/Mundinger*

Seems like Maine could still be likely recruiting defensemen in the 99 to 00 birth year if Kleiboer comes in early.

Comment

Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
          Thiessen looks to be a good one. If we keep this up maybe Maine can return to being a “goaltender school”.
          Yes. Also, I just happened to be youtubing hockey highlights and wonder what Maine might have been like if Darling had his stuff in line while at UMaine. I think he is only former UMaine goalie with name on Stanley cup?

https://youtu.be/2Srovamh89c

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackI View Post
            Yes. Also, I just happened to be youtubing hockey highlights and wonder what Maine might have been like if Darling had his stuff in line while at UMaine. I think he is only former UMaine goalie with name on Stanley cup?

https://youtu.be/2Srovamh89c
            Jimmy in 2008?
            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

I copied this from wikipedia... And even went a few extra lines beyond what was needed to answer the original question, but thought it was good reading.

"Howard only played four games in the 2007–08 regular season and therefore did not qualify to have his name engraved on the cup. However, he was included in the 2008 Detroit Red Wings Stanley Cup picture, given the Cup for a day,[5] and awarded a Stanley Cup ring by the Red Wings' management. With the retirement of Red Wings goaltender Dominik Hašek in June 2008, Howard was expected to compete with Ty Conklin for the position beside Chris Osgood for the 2008–09 NHL season, despite Conklin's noticeable advantages in terms of experience and contract. Although Howard did not earn a permanent spot on the Red Wings roster for the 2008–09 season, he was expected to make the roster in the near future.

Howard's roster spot turned official during 2009 off-season when Detroit did not offer Conklin a new contract,[6] instead electing to promote Howard to Osgood's full-time backup. " -Wikipedia

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                I copied this from wikipedia... And even went a few extra lines beyond what was needed to answer the original question, but thought it was good reading.

"Howard only played four games in the 2007–08 regular season and therefore did not qualify to have his name engraved on the cup. However, he was included in the 2008 Detroit Red Wings Stanley Cup picture, given the Cup for a day,[5] and awarded a Stanley Cup ring by the Red Wings' management. With the retirement of Red Wings goaltender Dominik Hašek in June 2008, Howard was expected to compete with Ty Conklin for the position beside Chris Osgood for the 2008–09 NHL season, despite Conklin's noticeable advantages in terms of experience and contract. Although Howard did not earn a permanent spot on the Red Wings roster for the 2008–09 season, he was expected to make the roster in the near future.

Howard's roster spot turned official during 2009 off-season when Detroit did not offer Conklin a new contract,[6] instead electing to promote Howard to Osgood's full-time backup. " -Wikipedia
                It’s surprising it took that long for him to make the team given how good he was in college.
                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                  It’s surprising it took that long for him to make the team given how good he was in college.
                  He wasn't better than Hasek and Osgood those years

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                    Red is the one who recruited Herner, now he tells him he has no chance to play?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                    Herner recruited himself. Wrote a letter to each of 60 head coaches. Only one to respond was Red.

Comment

Herner recruited himself. Wrote a letter to each of 60 head coaches. Only one to respond was Red.
                      Thanks, read too much hype on here about him. When he sat out that year and the team was awful I figured he wasn't that good.

I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Then it seems more like a walk on scenario. Given that, I don't see a problem with him being on the team and practicing. Nor do I have a problem if he was told he won't play. But maybe he is trying to improve and wants a development option while getting a degree.

Along the same lines I wonder what to think of Beck. He didn't stick in the USHL. And when I watched a couple games I would not describe him as technically sound. And slow to recover often after rebounds. Which is understandable given his size. So my question is, is this a referal from Deschamps and Beck wasn't recruited? I read article in bangor daily and they really described a great prospect and even said scholarship athlete. It is hard to picture that scenario after watching his mechanics in a few games on hockey tv. What is your opinion on a realistic expectation at maine for Beck?

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                          Thanks, read too much hype on here about him. When he sat out that year and the team was awful I figured he wasn't that good.

I don't think hype started on here. Here is quote from Larry article...

"Herner, who will be a scholarship player, had three assists in the five games. In regular-season play, he had 15 goals and 18 assists for 33 points in 50 games in his native Hungary.

He has been described as extremely mobile and fluid, with very good hockey sense and a big shot from the point."

Link: http://bangordailynews.com/2016/07/2...am-defenseman/

Comment

The part that gets me after reading it is he says "extremely" mobile. So when you here that about someone that is 6' 7" you get hopes up. You start to picture Pronger or something. How off was this article?

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                              Then it seems more like a walk on scenario. Given that, I don't see a problem with him being on the team and practicing. Nor do I have a problem if he was told he won't play. But maybe he is trying to improve and wants a development option while getting a degree.

Along the same lines I wonder what to think of Beck. He didn't stick in the USHL. And when I watched a couple games I would not describe him as technically sound. And slow to recover often after rebounds. Which is understandable given his size. So my question is, is this a referal from Deschamps and Beck wasn't recruited? I read article in bangor daily and they really described a great prospect and even said scholarship athlete. It is hard to picture that scenario after watching his mechanics in a few games on hockey tv. What is your opinion on a realistic expectation at maine for Beck?
                              Beck's development has stalled. Remember he appeared on NHL Central Scouting list so more than just Deschamps and UMaine thought he had potential. He didn't stick with his NAHL team not USHL. He shows some ability but consistency is lacking. Seems as though he needs to grow into that body a little bit. Not sure of his current scholarship scenario but given the Thiessen committment it would seem as though Beck's scholarship $ at least reduced or pulled. With Swayman followed by Thiessen I have no problem with giving him time to develop as long as he isn't taking up a full scholarship. Development is a heck of thing sometimes guys completely stall out sometimes they take time to realize full potential which is one of the reason NCAA hockey has gained more interest from both canadian and european prospects.

Comment

Beck's development has stalled. Remember he appeared on NHL Central Scouting list so more than just Deschamps and UMaine thought he had potential. He didn't stick with his NAHL team not USHL. He shows some ability but consistency is lacking. Seems as though he needs to grow into that body a little bit. Not sure of his current scholarship scenario but given the Thiessen committment it would seem as though Beck's scholarship $ at least reduced or pulled. With Swayman followed by Thiessen I have no problem with giving him time to develop as long as he isn't taking up a full scholarship. Development is a heck of thing sometimes guys completely stall out sometimes they take time to realize full potential which is one of the reason NCAA hockey has gained more interest from both canadian and european prospects.
                                When watching Theissen I see a very sound technical goalie it seems. He seems quick to recover too. But I find it odd his teammate has so many more shutouts despite Theissen having better save percentage and goals against. He is younger. But it is an odd statistic. Do you think Theissen will play in USHL? Seems he needs a larger challenge than the leagueheis in given he is at the top of that league. Also, do you think he should have been awarded best goalie in that league?

Comment

Working...
                                X