UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

Matt Thiessen made first all-star team in mjhl. He and Matt Osadick also made all rookie team.

http://www.mjhlhockey.ca/mjhl-announ...m-selections-4

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackI View Post
      Matt Thiessen made first all-star team in mjhl. He and Matt Osadick also made all rookie team.

http://www.mjhlhockey.ca/mjhl-announ...m-selections-4
      Thiessen looks to be a good one. If we keep this up maybe Maine can return to being a “goaltender school”.

Comment

Anyone know Ben Meyers status? Fargo Force page shows him uncommitted. https://www.ushl.com/view/#/player/7082/62/ben-meyers

He scored twice in the Fargo game tonight. Also, Dawe is now #4 in the league for goals scored.

Comment

In case anyone wants to watch Nick Capone play for Salisbury in their semifinals...
          LINK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bsa-VRFx-ts

Comment

Originally posted by dogtagger View Post
            Anyone know Ben Meyers status?
            He has decommitted. Likely asked to play another year of juniors and didn't want to.
            UMaine Black Bears Recruit Info Site GO BLUE!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bhall44 View Post
              He has decommitted. Likely asked to play another year of juniors and didn't want to.
              That is sad if true. Didn't seem like he needed another year of juniors from what I could see. He has good wheels and his scoring picked up. I think he lead Fargo in scoring last month.

I watched first two periods of Salibury game today. Capone had a goal where he pounced on a rebound and banged it home. Looks like a big power forward type. Had several hits, and lots of general banging on the boards. Took a couple hits too. Had a couple nice passes. Not really any weaknesses I can see.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bhall44 View Post
                It was inevitable some forwards didn’t show up but I’m surprised he is one. He might have had a hard time getting in the lineup though.
                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Bhall44 View Post
                  Meyers is gone? That’s disappointing to me, I was looking forward to him.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                    That is sad if true. Didn't seem like he needed another year of juniors from what I could see. He has good wheels and his scoring picked up. I think he lead Fargo in scoring last month.
                    Only so much scholarship money and can only skate so many guys. Certainly disappointing but this probably means Pearson is not being offered a contract and will be sticking around for next year. Also leads to Osadick commitment.

I watched first two periods of Salibury game today. Capone had a goal where he pounced on a rebound and banged it home. Looks like a big power forward type. Had several hits, and lots of general banging on the boards. Took a couple hits too. Had a couple nice passes. Not really any weaknesses I can see.
                    Glad you got to see Capone. I have seen him live a couple times this year. Fantastic player! He and Breen get me very excited!
                    UMaine Black Bears Recruit Info Site GO BLUE!!

Comment

A few random questions for BHall/BlackEye...do you think any of Herner, Spicer, Moran, Pappalardo, or Hock are on the team next year? It's hard for me to see where any of them have much of a future with Maine but maybe there is something I am missing. What is the difference between Drobot and Pappalardo? Will the difference in competition leading into playing for Maine lead to a different outcome for Drobot? What do you make of the last six commits coming from the Manitoba or Saskatchewan leagues? I know some of the kids are actually from the maritimes but it makes me a bit nervous when Maine goes heavy from one area.
                      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                        A few random questions for BHall/BlackEye...do you think any of Herner, Spicer, Moran, Pappalardo, or Hock are on the team next year? It's hard for me to see where any of them have much of a future with Maine but maybe there is something I am missing. What is the difference between Drobot and Pappalardo? Will the difference in competition leading into playing for Maine lead to a different outcome for Drobot? What do you make of the last six commits coming from the Manitoba or Saskatchewan leagues? I know some of the kids are actually from the maritimes but it makes me a bit nervous when Maine goes heavy from one area.
                        In your first question, I expect them all to be here if they want to be. I expect them all to be depth where cracking the line up will take a lot of hard work. Numbers next year seem similar to this year... lose 4 and gain 4(assuming Moran comes in 19/20). I have always been a fan of bigger rosters because you have a lot of competition for the final few spots and it makes the team better. And it makes those players better that are competing. And the playing time is usually in their control, if they want to play then work the hardest.

On Pappalardo vs Drobot I am unsure really. It seems Pappalardo has not been able to make the adjustment to the speed and physical play and has yet to show up on the score sheet. On Drobot, since he is playing in USHL and displaying the ability to play 200 feet, tenacious on the boards, penalty killing, goes to the net, etc... I think there is less risk he doesn't pan out. I think he will be a solid player for Maine. He is strong on his skates and isn't afraid of contact.

Well, I have been very impressed with Keeper, and he came from MJHL. And so the two recruits from MJHL are on the all rookie team, and Thiessen is a first team all-star. I think he should have gotten goalie of the year but I realize a kid two years older that didn't play in a rotation can get it too. One the other 4 from Saskatchewan, three come from a top notch hockey academy. The 4th is up for defenseman of the year in SJHL. And two are from eastern Canada, which is good for Maine to try to have a good stake in that area for recruiting. Overall, I think these recruits look very promising. I worry on three of them that may chose major junior(Morrissey, Breen, Renwick).

If anything Maine seems to have one of the most diverse teams I've seen. Next year we add someone from Denmark, and someone from Newfoundland. Kind of cool.

Comment

If anyone is interested in watching Nick Capone at 5 PM here is a link... you have to go down below and find the games that has Salisbury vs. KUA... as an added bonus you get to watch former Black Bear Coach Tim Whitehead...

https://***********/WickSports/statu...573328896?s=19

Comment

If anyone is interested in watching Nick Capone at 5 PM here is a link... you have to go down below and find the games that has Salisbury vs. KUA... as an added bonus you get to watch former Black Bear Coach Tim Whitehead...

https://***********/WickSports/statu...573328896?s=19
                            Great battle, if anyone got the time to watch it. Whiteheads KUA wins again. Capone played well, when he played.... but I noticed he didn't get the ice time I would have expected. He had a huge hit in the third. He's a nhl frame type, where once he gets a couple steps in he can hit very hard. Reminds me a lot of Greg Moore.

Comment

Great battle, if anyone got the time to watch it. Whiteheads KUA wins again. Capone played well, when he played.... but I noticed he didn't get the ice time I would have expected. He had a huge hit in the third. He's a nhl frame type, where once he gets a couple steps in he can hit very hard. Reminds me a lot of Greg Moore.
                              I watched it and it was a great game, especially the last few minutes. Very exciting with the announcers really getting into it. Only the second loss for Salisbury on the season and they were a #1 seed. Capone served a penalty for the goal tender in the closing minutes. Tim has some talent on that team with one or two of them already committed to D1 schools. I think one is going to Northeastern.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                                I watched it and it was a great game, especially the last few minutes. Very exciting with the announcers really getting into it. Only the second loss for Salisbury on the season and they were a #1 seed. Capone served a penalty for the goal tender in the closing minutes. Tim has some talent on that team with one or two of them already committed to D1 schools. I think one is going to Northeastern.
                                Nice fan following from KUA. Speedy, well coached. Fun game to watch. KUA goalie played very well.

Comment

Working...
                                X