X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

Originally posted by RPI fan 4 life View Post
    Hey Doc, I sat in Section 6 in HFH back in 1984-85 and still sit there today. What row were you in? I never got any desserts from Bella Napoli
    BTW, my friend and I used to bring air horns to games like Freakout! and the NCAA tournament games. They were confiscated at the Joe and never got them back...
    We spent half the time that year with friends in section 5 also. But in section 6 i am fairly certain we were row K. We had 4 seats every year as we used to often bring my daughter and a friend along. We always had a flask or two of something with us. usually a sweet sherry of some sort and a premium vodka in the other. We had those seats or the ones in section 5 from 1975 through 2001. If you did not get any dessert, i apologize. You missed out on some great stuff (remember the sponge cake ball called the 'Peach' since it was soaked in peach brandy and 151 proof rum?)
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by RegalFan View Post
      I've heard that the AD has told the players that the school is spending $22 million on field house upgrades over the next 2 years. Supposedly the Zamboni end will mirror the entrance with boxes and additional offices The seating bowl will be updgraded with new seats and there will be upgrades to player facilities, such as their own gym and a shooting machine.
      ugh... no more boxes... Put the band back behind where we shoot twice but a bit higher so they're above the glass, and close off the area underneath for Brown's (or another local brewery) to put some taps in!

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
        I don't think that we have had a head coach related to RPI since Garry Kearns unless you count the fact that Dan Fridgen had been an assistant
        Just referring to comments regarding Barr, Oates, etcetera. Sometimes completely cutting the cord pays in the end.

Comment

Dean Blais has stepped down as UNO head coach. That makes four schools looking for coaches: RPI, UNO, NMU, and Niagara. There will be competition for coaches.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
            Dean Blais has stepped down as UNO head coach. That makes four schools looking for coaches: RPI, UNO, NMU, and Niagara. There will be competition for coaches.
            I wouldn't be surprised if UNO puts Ben Barr at the top of their list. Has ties to the NCHC from his time at Western Michigan plus they have an elite facility in Baxter Arena.
            QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
            2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
            2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
            2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
            https://***********/QHockeyBlog
            https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
            https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
              I wouldn't be surprised if UNO puts Ben Barr at the top of their list. Has ties to the NCHC from his time at Western Michigan plus they have an elite facility in Baxter Arena.
              You're in the wrong thread, mac.
              Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

AD's guy, he brought him in Blais didn't.
                Mike Gabinet

Comment

Originally posted by ServinisScores View Post
                  that wasn't an article about RPI or it's hockey program, it was a thinly veiled soliloquy for the ex-coach, who was more interested in PR than doing the job he was hired for.
                  Agree on the characterization of the article, but exactly what proof do you have that Appert "was more interested in PR than doing the job he was hired for?" That's an awfully pointed charge to make.

If you wanted to say that he was better at PR than the job he was hired for (producing on-ice success), I won't argue with that. I don't think anyone who could take a holistic view of his time at RPI would be able to argue with that. It's why he was let go even with four years left on his contract. But "more interested?" Please.

This is a big part of the problem I've always had with people who just could not stop the incessant whining over Appert - this attitude that he didn't care about winning, or something. I know where it comes from - he stayed positive to a T, even when things were obviously bad. That's not a character flaw, being positive. But I can see how people who honestly don't know any better - simpletons - could take a look at that and simply come to the conclusion that he didn't care.
                  Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                    Agree on the characterization of the article, but exactly what proof do you have that Appert "was more interested in PR than doing the job he was hired for?" That's an awfully pointed charge to make.

If you wanted to say that he was better at PR than the job he was hired for (producing on-ice success), I won't argue with that. I don't think anyone who could take a holistic view of his time at RPI would be able to argue with that. It's why he was let go even with four years left on his contract. But "more interested?" Please.

This is a big part of the problem I've always had with people who just could not stop the incessant whining over Appert - this attitude that he didn't care about winning, or something. I know where it comes from - he stayed positive to a T, even when things were obviously bad. That's not a character flaw, being positive. But I can see how people who honestly don't know any better - simpletons - could take a look at that and simply come to the conclusion that he didn't care.
                    I'm not sure it's so much not caring as being exposed that they were out of options. Admitting this gets you a one-way ticket to the bread line, so no one with half a brain would volunteer that. I look at a number of areas that could use improvement, and obviously finding a problem is going to happen. You can't expect your team to be 69-70 Cornell all the time. Naturally, we expect improvement to be shown. If they try something different and it doesn't work, OK, do some more analysis and get it right. That's also going to happen. What many of the "whiners" saw, however, is the definition of insanity: Performing the same experiment again and again expecting different results. Some may equate that to giving up. Perhaps they either didn't know how to improve, or didn't want to try something else because it wouldn't work with the ultimate team strategy, so they were left in the dust.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post

Fair point. Should have said "seemed more interested". The slanted article seemed to be testament to his image and a series of excuses - not grounded in reality (much like his exit statements in the press). Fair enough. He and others spend a lot of time patting him on the back for his work in the community, but not much else. Maybe that's indicative of this year. I would also add he wasn't always positive, which I don't have a huge issue with one way or the other. His inability to coach and lead (his #1 priority at RPI) has been demonstrated over a more-than-fair sample size.
                      Last edited by ServinisScores; 03-14-2017, 02:13 PM.
                      Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

Although when I linked it in post #299, I called what appeared in the Record an article, it is billed at the top as Opinion.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

If Ben Barr is not hired, the posters on this board are going to poo poo all over whoever gets hired. I feel bad for the guy who gets the job if Ben Barr doesn't take it. Whoever gets the job has my full support like the last coach had and the coach before that had. The only thing I wasn't crazy about with Appert was that motivational coach or whatever he was that was brought in. The guy seemed like a scam artist. Either way, I hope to see a new coach announced sooner rather than later.
                          Loyality means sticking with a thing in good and bad times. Not willing to do that, stay home, I got this.

Comment

Originally posted by fishcore12 View Post
                            If Ben Barr is not hired, the posters on this board are going to poo poo all over whoever gets hired. I feel bad for the guy who gets the job if Ben Barr doesn't take it. Whoever gets the job has my full support like the last coach had and the coach before that had. The only thing I wasn't crazy about with Appert was that motivational coach or whatever he was that was brought in. The guy seemed like a scam artist. Either way, I hope to see a new coach announced sooner rather than later.
                            Real question is, whatever coach gets hired IS there the proper funding for success?

Comment

Originally posted by fishcore12 View Post
                              I could care less if it's Ben Barr, Jason Lammers, or Santa Claus. In my book, he/she gets five years (about the time it takes for your first recruits to become seniors; I won't hold the previous hand against the coach) to get something together to satisfy. If he/she pulls it off, consistency is what I look for. If it doesn't deliver, my support is lost.

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                                Real question is, whatever coach gets hired IS there the proper funding for success?
                                Given what we've seen with ECAV, the gear, and what not, I highly doubt funding is an issue.

Comment

Working...
                                X