X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
    R B- I once posted about the 1984-1985 season and how I was so superstitious during our long winning streak. I wore mostly the same outfit to every game and made sure while getting dressed (at the old Holiday Inn in Troy) that we not only stayed in the same exact room each time, but that I put my outfit on in the exact same order. We went out to the same restaurant before each game (Verdile's) and I ordered the same veal parmigiani and drank the same vodka in my gimlet. We then stopped at Bella Napoli to buy dessert which we brought to share with most of the row in section 6 at HFH. Superstitious? You bet! The one game that I altered my routine was the second game against Lake Superior State and we settled for a tie ( which was somewhat by design since we had won easily the night before and the series was decided by total goals).
    The only time I did the same sort of thing was at Lake Placid in 1995. I was just so sure we were not going to win (we were ranked as a #6 seed) that I figured it would make no difference. But when we beat Colgate, i wore the same outfit the next night against Princeton. I did not regret it. (although the gendarmes at the arena tried to evict me when a Princeton fan objected to my use of an air horn after each of the 5 goals RPI scored).

still love Bella Napoli when i get back north and loved Verdile's!!!

Comment

Originally posted by son-of-alumn View Post
      Speaking of verdile`s and getting fired. Mike verdile fired me back in 89 from Donovans restaurant. My offense..I accidentally dropped a large stack of small plates. I had just gotten married and bought a house. I was working there part time as a second job.No buyout was offered I survived.

Comment

• Originally posted by son-of-alumn View Post
        Muse is also an excellent choice. He knows the players throughout the northeast and beyond - and is also is very well known within hockey circles.

Sorry - SA may have been a good recruiter AT DENVER - but had zero knowledge of and showed even less interest in the northeast players. Just not sure that even many top, or elite, MN or midwest kids are all that interested in heading to Troy - so he never was able to recruit impact players. But maybe kids in NE, NY, NJ and PA would have been - if SA & Co. had even tried or showed even the slightest interest at all!!!

I was born in Troy - and have many family ties to RPI, but if they if they won't, don't, can't... even try to compete with even the Ivy's in their own back yard (the northeast), then they really can't expect to succeed!
        Just remember-there is also a huge difference in recruiting a kid to Denver than there is to RPI. Not saying DU isn't a good school, but it's also not RPI. In addition, when a kid sees hockey factories consistently on the schedule it's going to weigh a little heavier on their minds, than just a guess if an ECAC team is going to be good. There's a lot more to it other than getting a kid through admissions. Already, RPI is at a disadvantage. Just because a kid is free on the northeast, doesn't always mean he'll stay there to play hockey.
        Last edited by jericho; 03-13-2017, 09:49 PM.
        Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

• Originally posted by giwan View Post
          Curious is there any talk of spending on the field house? Long term plan?
          You are aware they spent money recently on interior spruce up - new scoreboard , Shirley's sky box, redoing the front entry opening up the long covered glass facade,etc. ?? The last frontier would be the Zamboni end of the ice ...but I'm unaware of any immediate plans. I believe I recall that when MacElroy was hired it was stated that fundraising was underway for more HFH work...but Ive heard nothing of this since then.
          ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

• Originally posted by RegalFan View Post
            Being a good recruiter is not a sure bet that you can coach. Everyone said Appert was a good recruiter, based on his work with Denver. Shouldn't RPI look for someone who has HC experience? Appert had never been a HC before and that seems to be the biggest problem area. Montgomery appears to be a HC that not only knew how to recruit but knows how to coach. AC are the real recruiters not the HC. This program needs a HC that knows how to handle players of today. Coach the way the game is played today. Skating, passing, playmaking. The AD needs to look for a proven HC at the Junior level that wants a college job. Dan Muse is a guy that has recruiting experience and HC experience. Muse is just one example. There are others out there.
            Quick research --Current /Former ECAC coaches who are/were first time HC's:
            Greg Carvel - SLU (now UMass)
            Mike Shafer - Cornell
            Nate Leaman -Union (now PC)
            Rick Bennett - Union
            Ted Donato - Harvard
            Don Vaughn- Colgate
            Casey Jones -CCT
            Rand Pecknold - Q
            ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

• Originally posted by turk181 View Post
              I just don’t see why Oates would leave what he’s doing now to hop back on bus rides & recruiting trips. He’s got his analyst gig on TSN Hockey Night in Canada plus his very lucrative services to over 90 NHLers but........maybe I’m wrong
              Agree 100%. Add that he's never recruited a single kid to play college hockey , I'd bring him in to teach my guys face offs, but not to be my HC.

Comment

• Originally posted by RegalFan View Post
                Being a good recruiter is not a sure bet that you can coach. Everyone said Appert was a good recruiter, based on his work with Denver. Shouldn't RPI look for someone who has HC experience? Appert had never been a HC before and that seems to be the biggest problem area. Montgomery appears to be a HC that not only knew how to recruit but knows how to coach. AC are the real recruiters not the HC. This program needs a HC that knows how to handle players of today. Coach the way the game is played today. Skating, passing, playmaking. The AD needs to look for a proven HC at the Junior level that wants a college job. Dan Muse is a guy that has recruiting experience and HC experience. Muse is just one example. There are others out there.
                Union radio aired a canned interview with Bennett between periods of game one and they discussed our vacancy and Benny B. Bennett commented not only on BB's recruiting skills, but also for his " feel for the game as a coach." I have no idea who we'll hire, but BB is undoubtedly on the short list - as it should be.

Comment

Harvard, Yale and Cornell seem to be managing much better even with very high academic standards - and a new coach in Princeton is even beginning to turn the program around there!!! Also their facilities are not appreciably superior.

Every youth, high school, midget, prep and junior hockey player in the northeast knows who Ben Barr is because he is very visible at all of the rinks, games, camps, tournaments, etc.......and he makes sure he knows them too! And he also knows the family advisors - which are a huge part of recruiting these days!
                  Agree 100% re: Benny B. I believe his Mrs is from the CD, so I'm hoping this will sway him ... ha.

Also, I'm not sure I'd lump Cornell in with the other Ivies regarding their admissions. Most of their hockey players enroll in the ag / life sciences school -which is a SUNY affiliate school under the Cornell umbrella. I'm not saying it's easier studies by any stretch, but they have shall we say, a "warm relationship" with the Ag/LS admissions folks. 😜

Comment

Doc - as I've said before, the first round of gimlets is on me at Verdiles! I understand the Bella Napoli affection, but Villa Italia puts them to shame, just sayin!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                      Agree 100% re: Benny B. I believe his Mrs is from the CD, so I'm hoping this will sway him ... ha.

Also, I'm not sure I'd lump Cornell in with the other Ivies regarding their admissions. Most of their hockey players enroll in the ag / life sciences school -which is a SUNY affiliate school under the Cornell umbrella. I'm not saying it's easier studies by any stretch, but they have shall we say, a "warm relationship" with the Ag/LS admissions folks. 😜
                      That was where they stashed the hockey players when I went to grad school in Ithaca. I remember taking an exam in one of their classrooms and saw group assignments from the previous class that had about 75% of the hockey team. However, they might not have as much leeway as in the past given its SUNY tuition status and some popular programs have made it much, much harder to gain admittance (I've seen kids with top grades from wealthy families getting deferred by the Ag School). The movement of the undergrad business program into the newly created College of Business may also change admissions dynamics for Schafer. Nevertheless, Cornell has traditionally found a way to get top targets in. I don't know how they'll do it in the future, but I expect that will continue.

Comment

• Originally posted by jericho View Post
                        Just remember-there is also a huge difference in recruiting a kid to Denver than there is to RPI. Not saying DU isn't a good school, but it's also not RPI. In addition, when a kid sees hockey factories consistently on the schedule it's going to weigh a little heavier on their minds, than just a guess if an ECAC team is going to be good. There's a lot more to it other than getting a kid through admissions. Already, RPI is at a disadvantage. Just because a kid is free on the northeast, doesn't always mean he'll stay there to play hockey.
                        You don't recruit the kid that wants DU

Comment

• Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                          You are aware they spent money recently on interior spruce up - new scoreboard , Shirley's sky box, redoing the front entry opening up the long covered glass facade,etc. ?? The last frontier would be the Zamboni end of the ice ...but I'm unaware of any immediate plans. I believe I recall that when MacElroy was hired it was stated that fundraising was underway for more HFH work...but Ive heard nothing of this since then.
                          Oh I'm aware, not sure that matters to a recruit

Comment

Today is 14 March 2017. There are 201 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 1 October 2017 for the start of next season.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                              Agree 100%. Add that he's never recruited a single kid to play college hockey , I'd bring him in to teach my guys face offs, but not to be my HC.
                              I agree. Oates just does not seem to be the head college coach type.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                                Quick research --Current /Former ECAC coaches who are/were first time HC's:
                                Greg Carvel - SLU (now UMass)
                                Mike Shafer - Cornell
                                Nate Leaman -Union (now PC)
                                Rick Bennett - Union
                                Ted Donato - Harvard
                                Don Vaughn- Colgate
                                Casey Jones -CCT
                                Rand Pecknold - Q
                                Past success does not guarantee future results, as the lawyer commercials say.

Comment

Working...
                                X