Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Most shocking and improbable finishes to a game

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
    As long as we're on the topic of 1979 and Cornell, how about three nights later when they played a wild game vs. UNH, losing 10-9?
    Go back a page to get the "synopsis" on that game...

Comment

I'll add the Clarkson - BU 1977 ECAC SF game at Boston Garden. Clarkson was loaded that season. Coached by Jerry York. Inside of the last 3 minutes, Clarkson led 5-3. BU scored 3 goals in 2 minutes (Rick Meagher, Dave Silk, Matt Marden?, I'm not sure - Sean?). Clarkson ended up having to pull their goalie in the last minute, having had a 2 goal lead with under 3 minutes to play.
      if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

I'll add the Clarkson - BU 1977 ECAC SF game at Boston Garden. Clarkson was loaded that season. Coached by Jerry York. Inside of the last 3 minutes, Clarkson led 5-3. BU scored 3 goals in 2 minutes (Rick Meagher, Dave Silk, Matt Marden?, I'm not sure - Sean?). Clarkson ended up having to pull their goalie in the last minute, having had a 2 goal lead with under 3 minutes to play.
        Go back a page to get the "synopsis" on that game as well...

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
          Go back a page to get the "synopsis" on that game...
          Ok, but the Cornell - UNH 10-9 game was in 1979.

The BU - Clarkson come from behind game was in 1977.
          if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Ok, but the Cornell - UNH 10-9 game was in 1979.

The BU - Clarkson come from behind game was in 1977.
            NO...they were the same night. I was there. Cornell/UNH was the first semifinal and BU/Clarkson the second. That's what I was saying when I mentioned that it's too bad a lot of people left after the long first game, because they missed a great nightcap!

But just in case you don't believe me, here (I can tell you the name of the girl I took too)

Comment

NO...they were the same night. I was there. Cornell/UNH was the first semifinal and BU/Clarkson the second. That's what I was saying when I mentioned that it's too bad a lot of people left after the long first game, because they missed a great nightcap!

But just in case you don't believe me, here (I can tell you the name of the girl I took too)
              You're right, I'm wrong.

Comment

So many thoughts and memories come rushing back when I read these names again.....we always had issues with the Meagher brothers, especially Rick.....seemed we'd focus on him, he'd go behind the net and we left everyone alone out front.....he was such a presence! Dave Taylor seemed to score even when he was on the bench, especially up in Potsdam with that **** bell ringing! I used to kid around with Craig Loupelle, always making fun of John Glynn's ponytail.......Joey Mullen and Paul Skidmore at BC....and the kicker at the Ivy Schools was dressing in the field house and walking in shoes to their rink, where skates were put on.....my only wish is that we would've had I phones back then, if only to have all those memories in the palm of my hand....cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by zoofer View Post
                  .. if only to have all those memories in the palm of my hand....cheers!
                  Well, they're in our minds, which is the next best thing. Always great to relive them...fortunately I have somewhat of a photographic memory so I can see everything playing out even without the video (but I'd love to find a tape of that night - somebody must have one)!

Great to hear the "inside scoop" from you as well!

Comment

Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
                    That was the most intense 90 seconds of hockey I've ever witnessed.
                    And the most boring 58:30 that preceeded it.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

So was I. I try to blot that memory from my mind, to no avail.

Some years later Son #2 is playing for Bill O'Neill at Salem State. Bill played in that game. At an eatery at the Mall of the Americas I mentioned on how he had ruined my senior year. He smiled.

Actually-the CCT Pep Band blew it. The Garden was dead. We were in control and then at a stoppage the CCT band started the BU fight cheer. 14,000 sleeping Garden residents woke up, I was screaming "NOOOOO!!!" at the top of my lungs, but it was too late. The Beast had been awoken. The rest is history.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I'll add...

March 3, 1980. NAIA National Championship at the St. Paul Civic Center. Bemidji State trails Michigan-Dearborn 3-2 late in the third. Dearborn gets called for a penalty with under 2:00 left. At the 18:29 mark, Bemidji ties it at 3 on the power play. Then with 15 seconds left, the Beavers score taking a 4-3 lead and the NAIA title.

Comment

Originally posted by John Biasi View Post
                          I'll add...

March 3, 1980. NAIA National Championship at the St. Paul Civic Center. Bemidji State trails Michigan-Dearborn 3-2 late in the third. Dearborn gets called for a penalty with under 2:00 left. At the 18:29 mark, Bemidji ties it at 3 on the power play. Then with 15 seconds left, the Beavers score taking a 4-3 lead and the NAIA title.
                          There was a semifinal game like that in BSU's pre-DI history. 1986 against RIT in Bemidji (I wasn't there, only heard stories). Anyway, BSU scores in the last second of the game to force overtime, which they won. They went on to win the Championship that year.

Then there is the '94 D-II Championship with Huntsville in Huntsville. Huntsville took game one by a 5-3 score and BSU took game two by a 2-1 score. That set up a 20 minute mini-game, which ended up tied at 0, forcing sudden death for all the marbles. BSU ended up scoring the game winner to take home the title. I didn't have much for finger nails left after that one.....
                          Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                          FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                          NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                          NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                          NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                          NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                          Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                          Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Yale was losing this game 4-0 to Colgate with 13 minutes left---- then Keith allain decided to pull the goalie for an extra attacker------

HAMILTON, N.Y. — The Yale Bulldogs (13-5-1, 8-3-1 ECAC) fought back from a four goal, third period deficit to record a 5-4 overtime win over the Colgate Raiders (6-13-5 , 1-8-3 ECAC) at Starr Rink. The Bulldogs have taken four of the last five meetings, including a series sweep last season.

The exciting third frame included six goals. At 1:19, Nick St. Pierre netted his first of the season with a slap shot from the top of the left circle; Ethan Cox and Austin Smith recorded assists on the three-on-two break. At 5:15, Tom Riley won the faceoff in the circle to Yale goaltender Ryan Rondeau’s left and Brian Day immediately fired the fourth goal just inside the near post, his tenth score of the season.

“I got the sense we could come back,” said Yale coach Keith Allain.

Allain pulled his goaltender with thirteen minutes left.

“A play like that is just like rolling the dice; I wanted to roll: to give my guys their chance.” Though not unheard of, pulling the goalie so early, and with such a deficit, is seldom seen; Allain admitted “I have never done that before.”

For the faceoff at the left dot in the Colgate zone at 7: 18, Yale had its six skaters on the ice. Mark Arcobello won the draw back to his pointman Tom Dignard. Dignard walked along the blue line and loosed a wrister inside the left post for his fourth of the season.

“At that point, you’re not tired anymore,” said Allain. “These guys never stop believing.”

At 8:50, Colgate’s Jason Williams and Arcobello were sent to their respective boxes for contact to the head penalties. At 9:31, Riley was whistled for hooking, which gave the Bulldogs a four-on-three advantage. Broc Little capitalized when he carried the loose puck from the left of the cage out to the hash and beat Alex Evin on the near side at 10:45.

During a two-on-one against Mike Matczak, Austin Smith carried the puck into the Yale zone and took an outside angle for a clear view of the net. Matczak was called for a trip when he aggressively slid to block Smith’s passing option and pulled the Raider to the ice and hard into the boards at 11:38. The penalty was his second of what Allain called “good penalties, and his team backed him up.”

Dignard made sure Yale did more than just kill the penalty when he took a feed at the Colgate blue line from Denny Kearney, who won the draw in his own zone. Dignard “looked like he was shot out of a cannon,” said Matczak. He flew through the Raiders’ defense and forced a bouncing puck through Evin’s five-hole. The 11:48 goal was the first short-handed score that Colgate has allowed all season, and Dignard’s second score of the night.

With just under three minutes remaining, Yale’s Sean Backman knotted the score at four. Matczak dumped a bounding puck through traffic which rebounded off Evin’s pad right to Backman’s stick. Backman shot low into Evin’s save attempt, and the puck trickled along the crease and eventually across the goal line at 17:57.

Exactly one minute into the overtime period, Kevin Limbert completed Yale’s improbable comeback. Kearney navigated bodies in the Yale zone and spotted a streaking Limbert. Kearney’s pass found Limbert just outside the Colgate blue line behind his defender. Limbert drove hard in on the net, forced the puck through Evin, and was mobbed by his red-hot Yale team in the corner.

Alex Evin made a career high 41 saves in net for the Raiders, topping last night’s 33. Nick Prockow scored his first intercollegiate goal at 1;35 in the second, assisted by Francois Brisebois. McIntyre scored his thirteenth, and Colgate’s fifth short-handed, goal of the season at 12:24, assisted by Williams and Jason Frederics.

Read more: http://www.uscho.com/recaps/2009/01/...#ixzz4aw20A4b7
                            YALE HOCKEY
                            2013 National Champions

Comment

Well, this wasn't a college game, but the title doesn't say that it must be.

I have been following the progress of RPI recruits for many years. In 2008/9, we were awaiting the arrival of Brandon Pirri who sadly stayed at RPI only one year. His last regular season game for the Georgetown Raiders (OJHL) was fairly meaningless as Georgetown had already clinched first place in their division. Georgetown fell behind 3-0 to the Vaughan Vipers after two periods despite outshooting them 40-15 to that point (and 70 to 24 in the game). Pirri scored a goal at 2:26 of period 3 and a second at 9:17. He got a natural hat trick with a third goal on the power play at 10:38 to tie the game 3-3. Vaughan retook the lead 4-3 at 11:59, but Pirri scored another power play goal at 15:52 to send the game to overtime. He scored his fifth goal of the game to win it at 2:42 of OT.

Needles to say, he was named the #1 star, but Troy Passingham, Vaughan's goalie, was named #2 star as he solved everyone except Pirri with 65 saves of 70 shots.

Box score http://georgetown.stats.pointstreak....?gameid=781536
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

SO while we're at it, how about this one? Game 7 - May 13, 2013 at TD Garden. Bruins vs Leafs in Eastern Conference Quarterfinals. Bruins are down 3 goals with 14:41 to go and come back to win in OT Click here.

Interesting sidelight...this was a month after the Boston Marathon bombing where the phrase "Boston Strong" was born. In Toronto, fans were holding signs saying "Toronto Stronger." Classless...made the victory extra sweet.
                                Last edited by chickod; 03-10-2017, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X