Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern Huskies 2016-17 Part II: Postseason Edition

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
    This series came down to NU not executing when they had the chance. 0-7 on the powerplay, which was coming in at 29% success. 4-8 on the penalty kill, which was entering at 84% success. As much as I've harped on him all season, Ruck was not the reason we lost. Hell he isn't even the reason for the game-winning goal. Yes, he got out of position, but that photo shared by FP also showed Williams getting toasted by Krys to the spot. Williams literally loses his footing turning towards the net, clearing the path for Krys to the net and the easy put-back. Ruck made the save on the JFK shot- overcommitted yes, but made the initial save. Williams falling allowed the rebound to go in uncontested.

Missed opportunities in front of the net- Davies, Sikura, Gaudette, ZAR, they all had them. The first line was silent in the second game. Gaudette was invisible in the first game. We got the secondary scoring we were hunting for when Lerario gave us a lead. And we didn't hold it.

There are things to take away- Ruck has shown he can play quality goaltending- limiting BU to 6 goals in 2 games at home is good, especially when only 2 of those were even strength. I thought Davies and Shea played very well; Davies' offensive talents shone through especially in Game 1. Shea's defensive growth was noticeably all series and Bernie Corbett acknowledged that as well on the broadcast. Filipe has blossomed and will continue to get better. I thought Lincoln Griffin had his best game in months last night.

In the end though, it ended like we've seen before. BU wins, we lose. It sucks. It hurts. It hurts even more to have the same script two nights in a row. To squander three Hobey Baker caliber seasons. To not make the Garden. There are questions to answer- who stays, who goes, goaltending next year, defensive coaching, penalty kill adjustments, conditioning, all of these and more will be brought up in the next 6 months. Some fairly. Some not. As it stands though, we have our best goalie recruit in a decade set to arrive, and as of now some quality players returning and being added to the lineup. I still think nu is on the rise and going in the right direction. Doesn't mean losing is any fun, but maybe we aren't at the level of yearly title contenders yet. Maybe we are like the old Brooklyn Dodgers. Wait till next year.
    Article shared here last week makes it look really good that Gaudette stays, tweet this morning from Sykura makes it sound like he has no plans of leaving. Just N Stevens now, and I think he is back.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard View Post
      Article shared here last week makes it look really good that Gaudette stays, tweet this morning from Sykura makes it sound like he has no plans of leaving. Just N Stevens now, and I think he is back.
      I agree with you. I also saw an article where Chicago reportedly will allow Sikura to make the decision, just as they did with Schmaltz and the other prospect they signed recently. I think if Sikura returns, he will undoubtedly get a letter on his jersey, probably an A. NU also has not had a forward sign early since Karlsson in 2013 IIRC. So that's a good sign.
      "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

Recap and thoughts on BU: http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/20...iagio-lerario/
        "Never tell me the odds"

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
          Pittsburgh has a lot of good forwards/ depth. May not be good fit for someone like him.
          Pittsburgh actually has a dearth of wingers in their system, which has been made worse by injuries. They are losing Kunitz and probably Hagelin at the end of this season.

From what I've heard, which isn't much, they are in the mix along with every west coast team (3/4's of which have aging wingers) and another obvious Canadian.

Anyone know who is advisor/agent is? Think he was with Jay Fee when he was in NJ...(it's Orr Group...I think I knew this)...

I'm somewhat amused that the Hockey press is once again selling this kid short..."projects to bottom six"...ca vaut pas d’la marde...that's what he projected @ NU...that lasted until the 3rd game...

AFAIC, he has the tools to get to a top 6 role within a season...two tops ...he will get with a NHL level strength and skating coach and will get faster...the rest is already there so it will be nothing but his own heart that would keep him back...

My own two cents is that he has the potential to be one of the best that the Huskies have put into the NHL...

Johnny is going to be that *character* guy who has a long career as a significant role player...

Sikura will be back. Gaudette will be back. I'm 50/50 on Nolan.
          Last edited by Gr8Sk8M8; 03-13-2017, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Filipe and ZAR hitting posts were killers. Ruck gave us a chance to win.

Death, Taxes, BU Powerplay...

I'll give props to Quinn...we were out-coached at crucial times. My opinion is that he should have double shifted any of the top line guys in game two to get them away from Greenway et al...

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
              Oy, I just rewatched the tape to see what you were talking about, I didn't realize the PK coverage there was that bad. Three of your PK guys are standing around doing absolutely nothing there. Credit to the guy sprawled out trying to get in the way of the puck, but either of Greenway of Krys could've put home a rebound with no defensive interference there. 5 and 8 are doing nothing to help cover the now abandoned net and most importantly 21 just lets Krys walk right up to the net completely untouched. 21 doesn't even put his stick out at all, completely inexcusable even if you're tired.
              What can you say? The upperclassmen saw this scenario play our how many times against BU...

Ever see The Replacements? Quicksand...

Comment

Originally posted by Gr8Sk8M8 View Post
                Pittsburgh actually has a dearth of wingers in their system, which has been made worse by injuries. They are losing Kunitz and probably Hagelin at the end of this season.

From what I've heard, which isn't much, they are in the mix along with every west coast team and another obvious Canadian.

Anyone know who is advisor/agent is? Think he was with Jay Fee when he was in NJ...

I'm somewhat amused that the Hockey press is once again selling this kid short..."projects to bottom six"...ca vaut pas d’la marde...that's what he projected @ NU...that lasted until the 3rd game...

AFAIC, he has the tools to get to a top 6 role within a season...two tops ...he will get with a NHL level strength and skating coach and will get faster...the rest is already there so it will be nothing but his own heart that would keep him back...

My own two cents is that he has the potential to be one of the best that the Huskies have put into the NHL...

Sikura will be back. Gaudette will be back. I'm 50/50 on Nolan.
                I agree with you on all points. Plus, Pittsburgh loves the college kids, his dad is from Pittsburgh and I think he grew up a Penguins fan. If they can make the money/contract work, I would put them as the frontrunner. And I wholeheartedly agree that he is a top 6 forward. He doesn't add much French pastry to his skating or stickhandling like Sikura does and Szmatula did, but that doesn't mean he is not strong in either category. He is just much more efficient with both than the smaller, shiftier players and can power through people instead. His stick and vision are superb and he has an NHL attitude. Hey, Pittsburgh won a Stanley Cup with Sheary as a top 6 forward - in just about every other organization, Sheary is still in the AHL (undeservedly).

And if you have internet after the blizzard hits, grab some hot chocolate and watch his USHL fights on YouTube. That part of his game was NHL-ready when he was 18.

Comment

Originally posted by beanstalk View Post
                  And if you have internet after the blizzard hits, grab some hot chocolate and watch his USHL fights on YouTube. That part of his game was NHL-ready when he was 18.
                  I've seen them. The smackdown on a much bigger Ian McCoshen was, I'm sure, worth the price of admission for all in attendance that night.

Comment

You ever see this?

https://youtu.be/4UENpNCW0Bg

~or this~

https://youtu.be/rdvRmV5XmXM

Comment

[QUOTE=Gr8Sk8M8;6463555]
                      Anyone know who is advisor/agent is? Think he was with Jay Fee when he was in NJ...(it's Orr Group...I think I knew this)...

I believe it's Matt Keator. Don't take that to the net.

Comment

[QUOTE=HHound;6463627]
                        Originally posted by Gr8Sk8M8 View Post

I believe it's Matt Keator. Don't take that to the net.
                        Okay...thanks...I texted my Maven and he said "Darren Orr...", which immediately sounded familiar...

In the greater scheme of things...doesn't matter...thought it might give some insight...doesn't. They do have Connor McDavid, though. So...maybe...

Comment

Multiple reports coming in that Gaudette is staying.

Also new commit. '96 F Drew Blackmun out of the NAHL's Aston REbels. Same team as 2017 commit and '96 D Ryan Solomon. 40 points in 51 games. The new Jamieson? CAn't be more than depth
                          "Never tell me the odds"

Comment

Multiple reports coming in that Gaudette is staying.

Also new commit. '96 F Drew Blackmun out of the NAHL's Aston REbels. Same team as 2017 commit and '96 D Ryan Solomon. 40 points in 51 games. The new Jamieson? CAn't be more than depth
                            Per Gaudette on twitter he is back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by Richard View Post
                              Per Gaudette on twitter he is back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              smart decision & nice to hear.
                              GO NU HOCKEY
                              Always bullish on the future.
                              We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

On the new recruit: http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/20...-aston-rebels/

Per Twitter it can also be inferred that Sikura is back as well.
                                "Never tell me the odds"

Comment

Working...
                                X