2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

• Re: Northeastern Huskies 2016-17 Part II: Postseason Edition

They are like playing the canadiens, mysterious penalties late in gsmes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Fact is aside from random 25 year flukes, this program is still a bunch of losers. Not taking any lame moral victories. Team wasted a Hobey Baker season and 2 50-point scorers.

On to next year for lather, rinse, repeat.
        Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
        Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

Second time in two days that the Huskies squander a 2-0 lead. BU goes on to score three unanswered yet again.

For me this season was a major disappointment given the expectations and offensive talent this team had. We had three players in the top 10 nationally in scoring and we don't even make the NCAA tournament. Defense and goaltending was a major letdown.
          "We just didn't get the lucky bounces..."

Comment

Originally posted by Motorboaters View Post
            Second time in two days that the Huskies squander a 2-0 lead. BU goes on to score three unanswered yet again.

For me this season was a major disappointment given the expectations and offensive talent this team had. We had three players in the top 10 nationally in scoring and we don't even make the NCAA tournament. Defense and goaltending was a major letdown.
            Precisely, this season was a complete failure.
            Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
            Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

We lost a lot of talent on defense from last year. Over looked imo

Comment

Originally posted by Tilldog40 View Post
                I would love to have a Charlie McAvoy on our team but does anybody else think that he is a bit overrated. I've seen him play live many times and the kid can hit, but I don't see him standing out. I think he is smart but not a shut down defenseman that he is talked about.
                IMHO, McAvoy does two things very well that are the reason he is getting so much attention. He is a physical presence, which will actually bode better for him at the next level since he won't get called for as many penalties. The other thing he does as well as any defenseman I have seen at BU in a very long time is track players entering the zone, get the puck from them, and make a play up ice. He forces them wide and has an innate ability to position his body and stick to come away with the puck, all in stride to push it up ice.

What McAvoy doesn't do as well is keep track of players once the other team has set up in the zone, and he occasionally thinks offense a little too early in the play.

He was the youngest D-1 player in the country last year, which is why I think the scouts think so highly of him. He looked solid as a freshman despite being so young.
                BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

• Originally posted by rhett hot View Post
                  this x1000

Comment

• Originally posted by chickod View Post
                    I can't really disagree with this.
                    Nope

Comment

Originally posted by Tilldog40 View Post
                      I would love to have a Charlie McAvoy on our team but does anybody else think that he is a bit overrated. I've seen him play live many times and the kid can hit, but I don't see him standing out. I think he is smart but not a shut down defenseman that he is talked about.
                      He's insanely talented but has had a lot of trouble putting things together this year for us, especially on the offensive end. He's also been a significant defensive liability in certain spots, particularly in the first ND game two weeks ago. He's only 19 so he's got lots of time to shore up his game but he's got a bit to go before he's ready and won't get roasted nightly in the NHL. Some have listed him as being a candidate for a HE first team all-conference D, I can't see how there aren't two or three D better than him in the league.
                      Last edited by brassbonanza; 03-11-2017, 10:20 PM.
                      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

I had a terrific dinner at Brown Sugar Cafe with my son and his GF and that was the highlight of the evening for sure. What can I say? except it is what it is. The fact is we really were not the better team. NU is one dimensional team and was all over the ice again to night. Our hounds are often out of position, undisciplined and poorly coached and as a result no 2 goal lead is ever safe. We were 0-4 against a superior and more talented BU team this season and the fact is that if NU played BU 1000 times we might win 50 or 100 games tops. What I saw tonight I have come to expect. NU was marginal on D and horrible in transition. That said, we still could have had a chance to win and in the grand scheme of things, we finished the season exactly where we should be in 8th place and about perhaps the 5th the or 6th best team in HE. Granted in spite of all the hapless, out of position and lacking fundamental hockey we played for 45 of the 60 minutes tonight, we still could have won if not for the continued bone head play of what is DIV1 worst Defenseman in Garret Cockrell. I have never seen a worse DIV one D man in 30 years of watching and 20 years of playing, he is under sized, lacks skating skills, is slow and totally S U C K S. The kid is burned more than bread in a $2 toaster. He is a DIV 3 D man playing D1 and how he has a scholarship at this level is utter lunacy and insanity at once. Given the talent and level of expectation this season was actually somewhat of a failure in spite of the early injuries. Yes, folks a season wasted as if there was ever a more talented Husky squad offensively I have not seen it. To be certain any season with 18 wins is a great season by NU standards but given the offensive promise this teams final results were a big disappointment. We do only one thing well cycle the puck in the O zone, from there is C+ hockey in every level of measure form Net Minding to D! The over all issue is that I still believe that JM is a good recruiter and a poor hockey coach, and until we fix this we won’t be able to beat BC and BU with any level of consistency regardless of our talent. Let’s face it this weekend the better team won hands down. So once again its been a pleasure ladies and gentlemen, talk to you all in October. Oh this weekend was the nail in the coffin for ZAR hobey hopes, which one of you think he is 1/2 the offensive player that Kevin Roy is. The fact is, in case you don't remember, KR is twice as talented and would have taken this weekend over when needed. ZAR scored a lot of his goals on PP and had multiple point nights against week teams and this weekend he proved to me and the committee that the best player in the country is at Union! Sorry! He had a great season but he is a bit of a fraud in the point total he does not have the talent of a true offensive zealot, I mean he is a 3 way player more so than KR ever was but when the chips were down he had nothing because he really is just a very good player not a great one.
                        Last edited by RossiRules; 03-11-2017, 10:59 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thiessen'sBetter View Post
                          Seemed pretty clearly off-side
                          He had clear puck possession so off-sides is canceled out.
                          Last edited by Rhett Hot; 03-11-2017, 10:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RossiRules View Post
                            I had a terrific dinner at Brown Sugar Cafe with my son and his GF
                            Brown Sugar is excellent, can't recommend it enough. Best Thai I've had in the city by a mile.
                            ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by Rhett Hot View Post
                              He had clear puck position so off-sides is canceled out.
                              He meant "possession." Billy Jaffe went over this multiple times on the telecast. If the player has possession of the puck when crossing the line, it's not offside.

Comment

• Originally posted by chickod View Post
                                He meant "possession." Billy Jaffe went over this multiple times on the telecast. If the player has possession of the puck when crossing the line, it's not offside.
                                Yes. My bad - fmp

Comment

Working...
                                X