2017 Laura Hurd Award Candidates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 Laura Hurd Award Candidates

Any thoughts as to who is taking home the award this year? Is it too early to speculate without conference results?

As it has traditionally gone to seniors (even in the face of outstanding underclassmen performances), I think the candidates are:

Camille Leonard - G - Plattsburgh: All time D3 leader in career wins, needs 3 shutouts to also have that mark. For this season: 20-0-1, 1.05 GAA (3rd in D3), 6 shutouts (three way tie for 3rd in D3). On the roster for 3 straight conference and NCAA title wins, in goal for 2.

Kristen Lewicki - F - Adrian: 170 points in her career. 25-32-57 so far this year. Leads D3 in points per game, assists per game, PPGs, currently tied for first in Game-winning Goals and tied for second for goals per game. Her 10 career shorties tie her for 5th for career NCAA D3 short-handed goals.

Dani Sibley - F - UW-River Falls: 157 career points. 24-30-54 so far this year. 2nd in points per game and assists per game, third in goals per game. Leads the nation with 4 shorties this season (would join three other players for 2nd on shorties in a season D3 mark). 3/3 so far with her team on the WIAC and Frozen Four appearances.

Any other candidates or criteria I'm overlooking? My guess is Lewicki if the voting was today...

Re: 2017 Laura Hurd Award Candidates

If we view it as a reward for a fantastic career, as it has traditionally been, then these are definitely the top 3 in my mind. The one issue that I see with Leonard is with the process: While the Laura Hurd has typically awarded a stellar career, it requires that you be a Conference Player of the Year, which is an award that typically only involves the season in question. While it is difficult to argue that Leonard has had an outstanding career - and NCAA record 70 wins across 3 seasons - she has not exactly had a "player of the year" season in-conference...
    Plattsburgh CARDINALS
    SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
    ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
    NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
    NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
    NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
    NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
      it requires that you be a Conference Player of the Year...
      Exactly what I meant by criteria I'm overlooking. Thanks.

Comment

If we view it as a reward for a fantastic career, as it has traditionally been, then these are definitely the top 3 in my mind. The one issue that I see with Leonard is with the process: While the Laura Hurd has typically awarded a stellar career, it requires that you be a Conference Player of the Year, which is an award that typically only involves the season in question. While it is difficult to argue that Leonard has had an outstanding career - and NCAA record 70 wins across 3 seasons - she has not exactly had a "player of the year" season in-conference...
        I thought you just had to be on the All Conference 1st team?

I'd think Lewicki and Sibley are probably locks for their conference player of the year.
        UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
        NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
        Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

These seem like the three to me as well. I'd guess Lewicki today.
          The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
          "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
          GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
          GO LAKERS!!!
          GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
          Oswego State '09

Comment

Here are some updated stats for Kristin Lewicki. This comes from the NCHA press release announcing the All-Conference selections.

Just wanted to share them with others who may have not had the chance to see her play. Hoping for a long run in both the league and NCAA tournaments.

"The 2016-17 NCHA Women’s Player of the Year is Adrian College senior Kristin Lewicki. The Moundsville, West Virginia native was nothing short of dominant this season for the Bulldogs, recording 57 points in 25 games played to lead the nation in scoring. Lewicki also leads the country in game-winning goals (8), power play goals (11) and assists (32) while leading the Bulldogs to a gleaming 23-2 overall record. Lewicki’s name can be found multiple times on nearly every scoresheet from this season, having posted a point in all but three games. She put up points almost every night, including the biggest games of the year. In nine games against teams that made the NCHA playoffs, Lewicki contributed 23 points - 2.56 points per game. Eight of those points came in games against rival Lake Forest, which Adrian needed to beat on the final weekend of the regular season to clinch the top seed in the playoffs and bolster its resume for possible entrance to the NCAA Tournament. The NCHA record book needed some updating after what Lewicki and Adrian accomplished this season. The 44 points Lewicki banked in conference play are the most ever in one season by an individual; her 2.44 points per game also rank first. (The records she broke dated back to 2001-02, the second year of NCHA conference play.) Thanks in part to Lewicki’s efforts, Adrian completed a perfect 18-0 conference record - the first ever in the history of the NCHA."

Comment

The AHCA has announced this year's finalists and it features just one eastern player: Melissa Sheeran of Plattsburgh.

Here are the finalists:

Kathryn Larson, Senior Forward, University of St. Thomas (Shoreview, MN) - 2016-17 MIAC Player of the Year
              Kristin Lewicki, Senior Forward, Adrian College (Moundsville, WV) - 2016-17 NCHA Player of the Year
              Melissa Sheeran, Junior Forward, Plattsburgh State (Schaghticoke, NY) - 2016-17 ECAC West Player of the Year
              Dani Sibley, Senior Forward, Wisconsin-River Falls (Monticello, MN) - 2016-17 WIAC Player of the Year

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
                The AHCA has announced this year's finalists and it features just one eastern player: Melissa Sheeran of Plattsburgh.

Here are the finalists:

Kathryn Larson, Senior Forward, University of St. Thomas (Shoreview, MN) - 2016-17 MIAC Player of the Year
                Kristin Lewicki, Senior Forward, Adrian College (Moundsville, WV) - 2016-17 NCHA Player of the Year
                Melissa Sheeran, Junior Forward, Plattsburgh State (Schaghticoke, NY) - 2016-17 ECAC West Player of the Year
                Dani Sibley, Senior Forward, Wisconsin-River Falls (Monticello, MN) - 2016-17 WIAC Player of the Year
                Because of the "senior bias", my money is still on Lewicki
                Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Because of the "senior bias", my money is still on Lewicki

Lewicki has better stats too. Sheehan 31 goals, Lewicki 30 goals. Sheehan 14 assists, Lewicki 33...
                  UWS Ladyjackets

Comment

Originally posted by gojackets View Post
                    Lewicki has better stats too. Sheehan 31 goals, Lewicki 30 goals. Sheehan 14 assists, Lewicki 33...
                    I am sure that Mellisa Sheeran is an outstanding player and I'm looking forward to seeing her on the ice this weekend.

However, Kristin Lewicki's stats speak for themselves. Here are some additional comparisons.

Points Per Game Lewicki, 2.17; Sheeran 1.63
                    Assists Per Game Lewicki 1.14; Sheeran 0.48
                    Power Play Goals Lewicki 12; Sheeran 8

If Kristin is fortunate enough to win the Laura Hurd Award, it will not be because of "senior bias", it will be because of her statistics which she earned, by her play on the ice.

It should be a great weekend of hockey coming up.

Comment

Any Word ?

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
                        Any Word ?
                        The girl from River Falls...my daughter couldn't remember her name.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeygirlzmom View Post
                          The girl from River Falls...my daughter couldn't remember her name.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Thank you!!!! Congrats to Miss Sibley!!!

Comment

Surprising but she is pretty darn good.
                              UWS Ladyjackets

Comment

Working...
                              X