X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey G2O - Making UW Hockey Great Again

Originally posted by UWisco View Post
    A split this weekend would be nice but more than that would be outstanding. I don't think many of us thought we would be in a position with two weeks left to put ourselves into the tournament at this time last year. It's amazing how a new crop of coaches and a new playing style can change a hockey team.
    Ditto!

I've been quiet on here still, but it is so fun to see them in a competitive position again. I'm looking forward to an increased obsession with pairwise rankings over the next couple of weeks.

Comment

The sad thing about the PWR is that anything other than a sweep hurts us this weekend (obviously other outside results can impact it as well.)
      Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Game Day! What happened a couple of weeks ago was definitely out of character for this team. Also, I think that was the best that Penn St's D had played this year. Much closer games.

Comment

Originally posted by The Hallucination View Post
          I'm looking forward to an increased obsession with pairwise rankings over the next couple of weeks.
          I came across this site recently. It gives the range of possible PWR landing spots based on the possible weekend outcomes. It also shows it as a probability function so you can see how likely it would be to land at any given spot given any outcome from the team.

You can see that Wisconsin can end up anywhere from 9th with a sweep and other things going our way all of the way down to 19thif we get swept and things go against us.
          Likely outcomes are: sweep and get to 9th, split and sit at 13 or 14, get swept and end up at 18th
          Possible outcomes are: sweep = 9-10, split = 11-16, swept = 15-19

Conversely, Penn State's possibilities are:
          Sweep = 5-7, split = 9, swept = 11-15

Stick tap to Innova for posting a picture the other day to remind me how to code the post so the pictures actually show up in the post

Comment

A sweep obviously would be awesome, but I think a split is a more likely outcome. Really, they just need to avoid getting swept. I'm hoping for a split, taking care of business against OSU, and then we'll see how things fall...

Comment

Of their 4 remaining games, winning 3 will put the Badgers inside the bubble headed to the B1G Tourney at 12 or better PWR and in good shape. Win 2 and they will be on the bubble at 13-16 and almost certainly needing 1 or more wins post season plus maybe some help. Win 1 or 0 and (likely) 3 wins to the B1G Championship is the only way in. Given that, it is critical to get a win this weekend.*

Personally I think the Badgers are a bit better on a small sheet as it's a bit easier to cover in your own zone and not lose a guy free to the net in a smaller space, plus they score in transition or off neutral zone turnovers which isn't really hindered a lot by a smaller sheet. Otoh, they last played on a small sheet 7 games ago at MSU.
              Of course PSU is a good team with good players and as we saw here it really comes down to compete level, something Penn St. dominated all weekend here. If the Badgers are to go to the NCAA's it looks like they are just going to have to physically out work PSU on every play of every period this weekend to hopefully turn the tables.

*Edit: I should add that garnering at least a split both weekends guarantees no worse than 2nd in the B1G and a huge bye to the semi at the B1G tourney.
              Last edited by Wisko McBadgerton; 03-03-2017, 09:48 AM.
              Originally posted by WiscTJK
              I'm with Wisko and Tim.
              Originally posted by Timothy A
              Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by UWisco View Post
                It's amazing how a new crop of coaches and a new playing style can change a hockey team.

I agree and G2O deserves a ton of credit, I think in particular the way they have gone about instilling confidence in the players and the team. You never hear Tony be anything but positive about the boys, even when they have earned some criticism. I think he said the other day and it's true, all these guys were all recruited to Wisconsin because they are good players, and the staff has done a tremendous job in re-instilling that idea in the boys.

I would have to say too though that it helps that a lot of these guys have grown up quite a bit. Two years ago WI was 42nd in the country in average weight of players and today they're 9th, at just a touch under 193#'s. That quite a help in competing for pucks and winning battles.
                Originally posted by WiscTJK
                I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                Originally posted by Timothy A
                Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by DPlaya View Post
                  My daughter plays hockey, wondering what age group your daughter plays? Mine has played both U10 and U12 this season. Both are going to State Tournament so I'm off to balmy Superior this weekend and Hudson next weekend lol.
                  My daughter is a first year Peewee this year (all three girls in the pic are playing on the boys team yet). We missed state this year (Peewee B), but our A team is going.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post

*Edit: I should add that garnering at least a split both weekends guarantees no worse than 2nd in the B1G and a huge bye to the semi at the B1G tourney.
                    This aspect of the next four games has not been talked about a lot but I think is crucial to the Badgers making it to the NCAA's. Advancing straight to the Semi's would help tremendously in terms of: 1 - Avoiding a potentially PWR damaging loss in the conference quarters and 2 - keeping us fresh for a then ultra-critical conference semi (probably vs PSU).

Comment

Originally posted by Crainer View Post
                      Game Day! What happened a couple of weeks ago was definitely out of character for this team.
                      So out of character is right, all a part of growing pains I guess. It was a great bounce back after that, let's keep the hammer down boys. 20 regular season wins or bust. Who would have thought that was remotely going into the season? I don't even think G2O did.

Interesting point by Wisko on the lad's weight and winning 1 on 1 battles.

No tv tonight? ERRR! I'm anxious to watch this series.

Heads up the gals are playing the sue @ 2 today. Fire up the computers and "work" really hard this afternoon. I know I will be.
                      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• If Berry plays well and wins tonight, is this the weekend he gets the Saturday nod over Jurisic? I thought it was a strong possibility against the Goofs given how "on" Jack was for most of the night. As important as these last two weeks are, does Tony finally ride the hotter goalie?

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                          No tv tonight? ERRR! I'm anxious to watch this series.
                          Game is available to stream through BTN+

They don't have a single game option, or a single month option. The least expensive way would be to get the monthly pass ($9.95) and cancel your subscription before it automatically renews. Personally, I don't know that it is worth $10 to watch a single game.

I've tried it in the past, and their systems is kind of messy. You can subscribe through the website easily enough, but you have to e-mail a request to have your account canceled. That business model seems kind of shady to me. Like they are planning on getting the renewals because people can't find the "cancel" button on the website so they just give up and let it keep racking up $10/month.

Caveat emptor

***update***
                          I guess things may have changed since my last experiences with BTN+. See post by GBBadger14 for updated info
                          Last edited by KaMiGo; 03-03-2017, 01:35 PM. Reason: new information

Comment

• Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post

They don't have a single game option, or a single month option. The least expensive way would be to get the monthly pass ($9.95) and cancel your subscription before it automatically renews. Personally, I don't know that it is worth $10 to watch a single game.

I've tried it in the past, and their systems is kind of messy. You can subscribe through the website easily enough, but you have to e-mail a request to have your account canceled. That business model seems kind of shady to me. Like they are planning on getting the renewals because people can't find the "cancel" button on the website so they just give up and let it keep racking up $10/month.

Caveat emptor
                            They've updated the cancellation system. I just signed up for the monthly one this morning, and there's an "auto-renew" box you can uncheck when purchasing.

Does anyone else use BTN2Go a lot and find it incredibly annoying that they show tweets and news stories right on the badgers home page? Makes for a real pain in the butt when I want to go on and start watching a game from the beginning when it's already started.

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post

Caveat emptor
                              To piggy back onto this, when my dad and I tried to stream one of the series a few week ago, the quality of the stream was real bad, too. That might have been our internet, or the device we were streaming on, but I wouldn't say we walked away impressed with the service. It looked like watching hockey on a TV with rabbit ears.

Still, how crazy is it that this team is now good and exciting enough that we actually considered paying for a steam? The last couple of seasons we often couldn't be bothered even when they were on BTN proper.

Comment

I had BTN Plus for a month earlier in the year when almost every woman's game was on there and it was painful most times. There would be lockups in the stream, massive time delays, and they didn't seem to care one bit when you complained about it.
                                Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Working...
                                X