• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wisconsin Hockey G2O - Making UW Hockey Great Again

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    [cautious stick taps of respect]
    [hesitantly agrees]
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

BTW, we're up to 13 in PWR.

I'd like to thank Ohio State, Air Force, SCSU and Air Force for all losing.

Of course, this shows how volatile the PWR is right now, so I don't think this makes our last three weekends any less crucial.
      Right now with 20,000 Monte Carlo sims, we're exactly 50/50 to make the tournament. With just a cursory look at it, if we win one or two next week, our chances are very good to make it.
      Get swept though, and even with sweeping OSU it's possible that the best case is that we'd be in the same situation as a few years ago where winning the B1G (provided it's not vs. Mi or MiSt) would be the game to give us both the AQ and the At Large bid. But that's a bit too far out to see.

Realistically, we have to win a game next week, which seems fair enough.
      Originally posted by WiscTJK
      I'm with Wisko and Tim.
      Originally posted by Timothy A
      Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

On a selfish note, maybe it's time the State Urinal highlights the hockey team..especially on days the BB team doesn't even play, instead of those articles. If the hockey team lost 4 of 5, they'd be buried near the obits.
        "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

BTW, we're up to 13 in PWR.

I'd like to thank Ohio State, Air Force, SCSU and Air Force for all losing.

Of course, this shows how volatile the PWR is right now, so I don't think this makes our last three weekends any less crucial.
          Merrimack beating Vermont was huge for us (Merrimack W helping our RPI, Vermont loss dropping them below us), and every Northern Michigan win really helps too.

Comment

Originally posted by BuB View Post
            I wanted to add to the discussion a note about Greenway's late penalty. After all the talk here this week about him having to watch his play since he gets "fired up" pretty easily an can take an occasional bad penalty - when he took that one with about 5-6 minutes to go I expected to see the message boards light up with the "told ya so".

I have to admit, I was yelling from my chair about how dumb a penalty it was myself. He is such a good player and it helps to have him on the ice - not in the box, especially on the road nursing a one goal lead.

Thoughts, anyone?
            "told ya so"

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
              "told ya so"
              Well played, sir....

Comment

Originally posted by BuB View Post
                Well played, sir....
                I don't do much on the boards over the weekends, this is usually my distraction from work...so I'll elaborate a little bit now that I have some time.

As to Greenway and penalties; yup, been seeing way too much of that from him this year. There has to be that line between being an aggressive/annoying player and getting penalties called. If he can learn how to work that line and maintain his levels of aggressiveness while taking 1/2 of the penalties he could be great. He's got a ton of talent and potential, but neither of those things to anyone any good when he is sitting in the box, or the locker room, or the press box because he was suspended.

Comment

I don't do much on the boards over the weekends, this is usually my distraction from work...so I'll elaborate a little bit now that I have some time.

As to Greenway and penalties; yup, been seeing way too much of that from him this year. There has to be that line between being an aggressive/annoying player and getting penalties called. If he can learn how to work that line and maintain his levels of aggressiveness while taking 1/2 of the penalties he could be great. He's got a ton of talent and potential, but neither of those things to anyone any good when he is sitting in the box, or the locker room, or the press box because he was suspended.
                  I agree with all of this, especially the distraction from work part!

Early frontrunner for understatement of the week: This team needs to find a way to get 3 points this weekend.

Comment

Meh... I'm really not onboard for dogging JD too much. In conference games he's got 7 minors, Kunin 7, Frederick 10, Tischke 10. The Fighting at Mich St. there's no excuse for, but he sat his time. I really don't have a problem with the 10 for roughing he got vs. Mich as it was a matching penalty with Boka. If you want a guy that won't back down in a fight for the puck in the corner, sometimes that guy isn't going to back down after the whistle either.

As a team Wisconsin is 45th in PIM and while any penalty is potentially a bad one that (theoretically) costs you the game, Wisconsin and JD aren't taking an inordinate amount at this point. They've got a long way to go to get up there with the big boys like Zent, Plante, the Suters, or Big Mac. I remember Gary Suter once taking 5 in one period. (Which I figured must be a Badger record, so I looked it up and it is, but Sagissor also matched it.)

It's crunch time and the boys have to play with an edge, they have to dictate play and make the other guys try and take it away from them. If they cross the line it might cost them, but I'd rather that, then lose by sitting back and getting run over. Let 'em know your there, boys!
                    Last edited by Wisko McBadgerton; 02-27-2017, 11:03 AM.
                    Originally posted by WiscTJK
                    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                    Originally posted by Timothy A
                    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

We are up to 136 votes, good for 19th place in the poll
                      RPI inches up to 20
                      PWR also climbs to 20
                      Team O, 3.75 - 6th
                      Team D, 3.29 - 46th
                      PP, 32/148 21.62% - 9th
                      PK, 107/123 87.0% - 5th
                      After a couple of very close games that ended up in a split, here is where we are:
                      18-11-1
                      We continue to climb, now up to 238 votes, good for 16th place in the poll
                      RPI jumps up to 13
                      PWR also climbs to 13
                      Team O, 3.74 - 7th
                      Team D, 3.23 - 45th
                      PP, 35/156 22.44% - 9th
                      PK, 113/130 86.9% - 5th

This week we head to Penn State
                      20-8-2
                      506 votes, good for 11th
                      RPI - 9
                      PWR - 9
                      Team O, 4.17 - 1st
                      Team D, 2.67 - 23rd
                      PP, 28/141 19.86% - 18th
                      PK, 97/116 83.6% - 25th

A few common threads will continue to be relevant and predictable this weekend...
                      Score early and score often
                      Maximize special teams
                      B1G teams aren't going to shut you out

Early and Often
                      Both teams thrive when they have an early lead. Wisconsin is 9-0-0 when leading after 1 and 11-4-1 when leading after 2. PSU is 16-2-1 when leading after 1 and 10-4-1 when leading after 2.
                      Not surprisingly, since they have had 19 games where they lead after the first, PSU puts up more goals in the first than any other period. Wisconsin, as you saw against Minnesota, has turned into a second period team. Defensively, UW allows the most goals in the first and PSU allows the least goals in the first. If Wisconsin wants to be successful, they will need to get goals in the first period.

Special Teams
                      Wisconsin is better in both categories. We score more often on the PP and we kill more often on the PK. The big thing to look at is how often we can expect to see the special teams on the ice. Wisconsin has had 156 PP attempts and 130 PK situations; PSU has had 141 PP tries, but has only been on 116 PKs. Wisconsin can capitalize on the PP, but how often are they going to get the chance?

Everyone Scores
                      So far this season in conference play, 4 of 6 teams are averaging better than 3.5 goals per game. Not surprisingly, all of the teams are allowing 3.0 goals per game or worse
                      Only 3 games have ended in shutouts.
                      24-Feb = Michigan 1 / Ohio State 0
                      20-Jan = Michigan State 3 / Michigan 0
                      6-Jan = Penn State 0 / Ohio State 3
                      Honestly, I was expecting to see shutouts against the Michigan schools, they are at the bottom of the Team O in conference play with 2.5 (Michigan) and 2.38 (Michigan State). It was kind of odd to see Ohio State and Penn State being shut out, they are tied for 3rd in conference with 3.69 per game.
                      Also surprising was that the teams earning the shutouts are the bottom half of Team D ranks. Ohio State at 3.25, Michigan State at 3.75, Michigan at 4.12.
                      I guess this all goes to show that anything can happen on any given Friday or Saturday...Or the occasional Thursday

I don't know what to expect this year. Penn State has been solid at home, but hasn't played the most aggressive non-con schedule so those numbers are slightly skewed.

I'd like to see UW come out with 4+ points, but a split could be entirely reasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                        It was great to see UW steal a game like that shots-wise. That hasn't happened for years. Bummed I didn't get a chance to watch it, but watching a 7-0 thumping of Kato was plenty fun.

It was nice to meet Innova, he scored some sweet seats behind the UW bench and he got to watch a great game, minus the HORRIFIC refereeing, but that's for the women's page.

Let's sweep the rodents and send them plunging off bridges en mass.
                        Nice meeting you to Timothy...too bad we couldn't chat more, but I had my hands full of concession items

Anyway, it was a great time, and I will be back down to a game next year...the girls are exciting to watch, and they are great sports...even tossing over some autographed pucks to my daughter and her friends!

Comment

Badger party at MSG: Brendan Smith traded to the Rangers, joins McD and Stepan.
                          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Coach was on the USCHO Live podcast last night.

There is a recording of it here

He comes on after the 2nd commercial break, around the 42 min mark.

Comment

Somewhat off topic, but Brendan Smith just got traded to the Rangers in exchange for a 2018 2nd and 2017 3rd round pick. Wings do not retain any of his salary.

So that's Stepan, McDonaugh and now Smith on the same squad. In case you're looking for an NHL rooting interest come the playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisTheTurk View Post
                                Somewhat off topic, but Brendan Smith just got traded to the Rangers in exchange for a 2018 2nd and 2017 3rd round pick. Wings do not retain any of his salary.

So that's Stepan, McDonaugh and now Smith on the same squad. In case you're looking for an NHL rooting interest come the playoffs.
                                Super stoked about the trade.....I like the Wings, though not as much now, but I love the Rangers. The Rangers sure could use Pavs, that is for sure, but what team couldn't use Pavs.
                                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Working...
                                X