• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey G2O - Making UW Hockey Great Again

http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/c...73a237988.html

Per Milewski
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
      I really think MM did him no favors by bringing him in so young.

I'm sure a speak for everyone when I wish Matt great success in the USHL and I surely hope he can do great things as he grows in his game. I will be rooting for him.

Wisconsin Hockey: In Hayton We Trust
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
        Yeah, I'm a freak. I think listening to hundreds of games on 1310 going years back has planted this idea in my head. I looked at the UW hockey t shirts and it's on there both ways, with and without the "s".

Are you still around Madison this upcoming hockey season? It's nice to have a few people in the "student" section at the women's games leading the charge of traditional cheers and put up illegal signs.
        I am indeed! But those signs aren't exactly illegal - they're permitted...verbally.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
          I am indeed! But those signs aren't exactly illegal - they're permitted...verbally.
          Awesome news. Sure, you and Phil get special treatment. I'd love to put some funny signs up behind the opposing bench where I sit. Apparently pounding on the glass quite frequently is more effective than a sign would be according to Coach Harrington. He complained about how much we pound on the glass during game 1 of a series and when we were pounding on the glass during game 2 an usher told us in no uncertain terms we cannot pound the glass, it is not safe. I laughed in his face, (and was totally infuriated) but I complied so I wouldn't get tossed out or get my season tickets revoked, and went up the leadership ladder the following week @ UW and now have an email that states it's ok to pound on the glass in case it happens again. Harrington is such a *****.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
            I really think MM did him no favors by bringing him in so young.

I'm sure a speak for everyone when I wish Matt great success in the USHL and I surely hope he can do great things as he grows in his game. I will be rooting for him.

Wisconsin Hockey: In Hayton We Trust
            I got my minor league teams with UW-associated coaches mixed up for a minute. I thought that he was going back to the NAHL to join Shuchuk with the Jets, oops.

I don't think you can blame Eaves for bringing Matty in when he did. We were put in an impossible situation when Opilka bailed on us at the last minute and we were left with almost nothing. The roster from that year other than Jurusik shows Adam Miller (Sr), Ryan Breon (Jr) and Gabe Grunwald (R-Fr).

We needed someone, and we needed them right away. Matty Ice was the answer.

I respect him for what he did and what he gave to the Badgers.

I don't think anyone ever expected him to be a 4-year player. I'm sure it was pretty obvious that he was a place holder until the recruiting cycle caught up. That looks to have happened a year earlier than expected with Hayton.

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
              I don't think you can blame Eaves for bringing Matty in when he did. We were put in an impossible situation when Opilka bailed on us at the last minute and we were left with almost nothing. The roster from that year other than Jurusik shows Adam Miller (Sr), Ryan Breon (Jr) and Gabe Grunwald (R-Fr).
              Grunwald should have been the guy seeing as he was in the pipeline quite a few years, but obviously MM wasn't either the best judge in goalie or did not get the guys he wanted and had to settle. I agree MM had to do what he had to do, but it Grunwald wasn't a bust he would have been fine.

Read that Matt himself pulled the plug on the WI deal. Good for him seeking playing time. Hopefully he is 50% done with getting the degree and will end up getting a ride at another school and finish up the degree. And plays professional hockey.

Comment

Pavs was on 540 ESPN earlier this week on "Wilde & Tausch". Kind of a too much of an overview interview, but good to see UW hockey get on radio in Milwaukee. There is a podcast if you want to take a listen.

3 weeks til Korean BBQ @ Labahn.

Comment

Still no official word on Hayton but a friend sent me a shot that appears to show his name on a locker in the Badger locker room that I'm too stupid to upload.
                  Last edited by bigus; 08-26-2017, 04:43 PM.
                  Wisconsin Hockey: What're YOU looking at?

The number of times a poster posts per day is directly correlated with how dissatisfied he is with his relationship.

Comment

I don't know if UW starts classes this Monday or week after but that is when we will see an announcement on Hayton.
                    WISCONSIN BADGERS
                    NCAA Championships: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, and 2006
                    WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1977, 1990, and 2000
                    WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013
                    B1G Tournament Champions: 2014
                    Hobey Baker winner: #5 Blake Geoffrion

Comment

• Originally posted by bigus View Post
                      Still no official word on Hayton but a friend sent me a shot that appears to show his name on a locker in the Badger locker room that I'm too stupid to upload.
                      Right side of the second pic...

Comment

Originally posted by bigus View Post
                        One of our stats meisters on our Facebook SLU thread posted this on Kyle Hayton.........you are getting possibly the greatest goalie in school history. We've had several All Americans including Bob Perani, Bill Sloan (from years ago).........but in only 3 years Kyle holds many SLU records. We sure are going to miss him.

Well, I was waiting to post this until after an official announcement was made, but that picture of the Wisconsin locker room seems "official" enough! So here it is. Be forewarned -- I'm in long-winded mode for this one... although some might say that's the only mode I have...
                        Now that the Kyle Hayton era at SLU is in the books, here are my thoughts on where he fits in Saints history. I said several times over the last couple of years that he was well on his way to becoming the greatest goalie in the school's history. Did he end up there?
                        If you've been around here a while, you know that I love statistics, but I've also said that stats don't tell the whole story. It can be hard to compare across eras, with different playing styles, different overall scoring rates, etc. And stats don't necessarily tell you how crucial someone is to their team -- how valuable they are in terms of team confidence and in big situations -- because a save on an easy dump-in at the start of a game counts the same in the stats as a save on a breakaway late in a tie game.
                        To that point about big situations, I wish breakaway stats were easily available, because I think they'd help show what a clutch goalie Kyle was for us. Think back to his freshman season, when our vaunted defensive corps was young and relatively inexperienced -- we gave up a lot of breakaways that season, particularly in the first half, and Kyle was almost always able to cover for us. He gave the team breathing room.
                        As for the point about comparing across eras, those of us who've been around a long time can think back on a lot of SLU's great goalies and try to compare them, but memories fade over time. The first SLU goalie I remember seeing when my parents started taking me to games was All-American Bob Perani '66, but I was so young and it was so long ago that I couldn't tell you anything now about how he played. And I wasn't even born when two-time All-American Bill Sloan played in the 50s. But for what it's worth, I can't think of an SLU goalie I've seen who was more of a big-situation player, more central to the team's success -- and heck, more spectacular -- than Kyle. I know I'm not the only one for whom that fantastic left-to-right save in the tie game at Union last year stands out as a symbol of his brilliance -- the one that left the Union TV commentators flabbergasted -- but that was just one of many awe-inspiring plays he made. I'd be interested in hearing what other long-timers think about the pantheon of SLU goalies.
                        But, imperfect as it might be, the only objective measure we have across the decades is the statistical record. So let's have a look at where Kyle's stats fit in SLU history. A caveat: I computed his career stats based on the season stats pages on SLU's website, so these aren't official career stats published by SLU, and it's possible I made a mistake somewhere, but they should be accurate.
                        Amount of work:
                        Obviously we all wanted to see Kyle wear the scarlet and brown for another three dozen games, and some might think that his place in SLU history is diminished because he didn't play a full four years in Canton. Well, it might surprise you to know that there have been only three goalies who have owned the starting job for four seasons -- Gene Delvecchio '51, Bill Sloan '56, and Matt Weninger '14. Moreover, no SLU goalie other than Matt has seen more work than Kyle -- he packed a lot into three years. Check out his numbers:
                        Game appearances: 104
                        - Second to Matt Weninger's 132
                        - Ahead of third-place Mike McKenna's 95
                        - That works out to almost 35 appearances per season, ahead of Matt's 33.
                        Minutes played: 6284
                        - Second to Matt Weninger's 7539
                        - Ahead of third-place Mike McKenna's 5231
                        - That's 2095 minutes per season, ahead of Matt's 1885.
                        Saves: 3079
                        - Second to Matt Weninger's 3409
                        - Ahead of third-place Mike McKenna's 2424
                        - That's a whopping 1026 saves per season, ahead of Matt's 852.
                        Quality of work:
                        Save percentage, the best stat for judging a goalie's performance: .934
                        - First place, ahead of Eric Heffler and Mike Mudd at .920
                        - Derek Gustafson's career save percentage is .936, but his career was only one season long. Plus, Kyle beat that single-season save percentage record with a .937 freshman year.
                        Goals-against average: 2.08
                        - First place, ahead of Sarge Whittier's 2.38 (although Sarge played only 28 games; next after him is Alex Petizian at 2.54)
                        - Derek Gustafson's career GAA is 2.05, but his career was only one season long. Plus, Kyle beat that single-season GAA record with a 1.95 freshman year.
                        Shutouts: 12
                        - First place, ahead of Bill Sloan's 9
                        - Although Bill Sloan played back when the season was much shorter and thus played fewer games, Kyle is still top dog on a per-game basis as well, notching a shutout in 11.5% of his games vs. 10.6% for Bill.
                        Wins: 53
                        - Second to Bill Sloan's 65
                        - Ahead of third-place Paul Cohen and Matt Weninger at 51
                        And here's another tidbit. In his 104 games, there were only four in which Kyle allowed more than four goals. One of them was his very first collegiate game, at RIT, and two of them were on that overall dismal trip to Lowell and Providence last fall. There were another 10 games in which he allowed four goals. So, he recorded a shutout almost as often (12 times) as he allowed more than three goals (14 times). Talk about giving your team a chance to win!
                        So there you have it. Kyle is #1 in the most important stats -- save percentage, GAA, and shutouts -- by a long shot. And he's #2 in all of the quantity stats -- appearances, minutes, and saves. Statistically the best, and maintaining those stellar stats over a huge amount of playing time.
                        So, all things considered, I think he did end up as the greatest goalie in SLU history. Congratulations, Kyle, on completing your degree in three years, and thanks for giving us over 100 games of thrilling action. And best of luck in the future -- except on October 27 and 28 this fall! :-)
                        SLU

Comment

Originally posted by GBBadger14 View Post
                          Right side of the second pic...

Now that is some fine investigative work...

For those that don't want to click on the link, it is pictures of the changing stalls with new names on them. One picture has Weissbach, Johnson, Freytag, Malone...
                          Other picture has HAYTON, Blomquist...

If he has a stall in the locker room, that is just about as good of a source as you could expect. Feels like it might be last-minute admissions issues at this point before they can officially announce anything.

NY papers are now also talking about the transfer LINK

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
                            If he has a stall in the locker room, that is just about as good of a source as you could expect. Feels like it might be last-minute admissions issues at this point before they can officially announce anything.
                            And the fact that the tweet is no longer available....

Comment

Originally posted by Innova View Post
                              And the fact that the tweet is no longer available....
                              I wonder if people talking about it here got back through the channels and caused Nate to pull it down...

Comment

Is anyone concerned the loss of Donny and hiring of Mark Strobel will hurt the offense. Strobel was a defenseman as was Oz. I have thought about this and wonder if the change will hurt things offensive wise.
                                gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Working...
                                X