X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey G2O - Making UW Hockey Great Again

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    First take some money off the top and re-fire up your women's team before you do a scoreboard.
    You may, or may not, know this, but the Ralph is a separate entity from the University. The Ralph has spent several million dollars on upgrades over the past few seasons to ensure the arena is the best in college hockey, and I would expect a new scoreboard is on the horizon. As for ponying up the $32 million endowment to keep the women's program, I don't believe the Ralph has that kind of money.
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

• Originally posted by GBBadger14 View Post
      Tony Granato will be the US Olympic coach, via Brian Posick and other accounts on Twitter. Chelios will be an assistant.
      Yales Keith Alain also an Assistant Coach.
      YALE HOCKEY
      2013 National Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post

I like the move. It gives UW exposure on a world-wide scale. At least in the US broadcasts, how many times do you think they are going to mention "UW Head Coach Tony Granato" during a game?
        Honestly, I don't think that point will be made clear at all to anyone who doesn't already follow college hockey. I think they will refer to him as "USA head coach Tony Granato" far more often. Casual "sports fans" who like to watch the olympics on TV likely aren't too concerned with the hockey coach's resume.

Still, a unique opportunity for Tony and shows how tight his relationship with USA hockey remains...
        Last edited by altazo; 08-04-2017, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
          Not a fan of this. My focus is on UW and this will certainly impede the programs development, along with the loss of Donnie. Now if Donnie was still here, I wouldn't feel so apprehensive. I just want the program to get rolling with continuity.
          Warning: elaborate metaphor incoming...

This program doesn't need to get rolling. It barely has the raw natural resources. Those need to be refined into usable materials. Those materials need to be used to manufacture parts. Then they need to use those parts to rebuild the program. Then they need to get the thing going.

It wasn't like when the Leafs were bad in Toronto. That was painful, and the demand for tickets went down, but it was still a half-sleeping giant at worst. In the Badgers' case, the entire meaning of "college hockey" changed in just a few years on the UW campus. (...and from what I've been able to tell, off campus too.)

When most hockey fans on campus don't really care about UW hockey (there's no way for me to measure that, but even based on unscientific observations, I say that with confidence), the fact that the current head coach was chosen to coach Team USA, even in this non-NHL situation, does way more to elevate the program in the eyes of the public (not to mention future players).

Edit:

Originally posted by altazo View Post
          Honestly, I don't think that point will be made clear at all to anyone who doesn't already follow college hockey. I think they will refer to him as "USA head coach Tony Granato" far more often. Casual "sports fans" who like to watch the olympics on TV likely aren't too concerned with the hockey coach's resume.
          First, the NBC guys will definitely mention UW a couple times per broadcast based on past experience. They shoehorn in college hockey references to help give USA Hockey a positive nudge in the consciousnesses of fans who follow the NHL, but see anything beyond that as exotic mysteryland (most of the US). Second, if you narrow down those casual fans to UW fans, they'll also be seeing UW sports things that they subscribe to, and they'll know that, "hey, the Badgers' head coach is coaching the olympic team." Third, to get UW's program to where it could/should be (and where it was, even in the 2000s), they need to get the hardcore hockey fans (who never got introduced to college hockey) and the casual-hockey-but-hardcore-Badgers fans on board. In both cases, it definitely helps to know that yes, UW hockey is very relevant in its sport, and is a big deal.
          Last edited by WiscDC; 08-04-2017, 11:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GBBadger14 View Post
            Gotta like Kunin's chances if he doesn't make the big boy squad.
            He'd be ineligible for the team, because he's on an NHL contract even in the AHL. Among players in the AHL, it's the guys on AHL-only deals that are available.

Comment

• Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
              Warning: elaborate metaphor incoming...

This program doesn't need to get rolling. It barely has the raw natural resources. Those need to be refined into usable materials. Those materials need to be used to manufacture parts. Then they need to use those parts to rebuild the program. Then they need to get the thing going.

It wasn't like when the Leafs were bad in Toronto. That was painful, and the demand for tickets went down, but it was still a half-sleeping giant at worst. In the Badgers' case, the entire meaning of "college hockey" changed in just a few years on the UW campus. (...and from what I've been able to tell, off campus too.)

When most hockey fans on campus don't really care about UW hockey (there's no way for me to measure that, but even based on unscientific observations, I say that with confidence), the fact that the current head coach was chosen to coach Team USA, even in this non-NHL situation, does way more to elevate the program in the eyes of the public (not to mention future players).

Edit:

First, the NBC guys will definitely mention UW a couple times per broadcast based on past experience. They shoehorn in college hockey references to help give USA Hockey a positive nudge in the consciousnesses of fans who follow the NHL, but see anything beyond that as exotic mysteryland (most of the US). Second, if you narrow down those casual fans to UW fans, they'll also be seeing UW sports things that they subscribe to, and they'll know that, "hey, the Badgers' head coach is coaching the olympic team." Third, to get UW's program to where it could/should be (and where it was, even in the 2000s), they need to get the hardcore hockey fans (who never got introduced to college hockey) and the casual-hockey-but-hardcore-Badgers fans on board. In both cases, it definitely helps to know that yes, UW hockey is very relevant in its sport, and is a big deal.
              I don't know. I just don't think mentioning the fact that Granato is UW's hockey coach during a pool play game vs Germany or Switzerland on MSNBC at 4:30 a.m. will turn into a major theme for NBC during the winter games.

I do think it is a cool thing for UW and it's fans however.

I believe UW is in the right track and will return to national prominence very soon. I don't think that Tony Granato coaching the Olympic team this year will have a whole lot to do with that.
              Last edited by altazo; 08-04-2017, 11:41 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by altazo View Post
                I don't know. I just don't think mentioning the fact that Granato is UW's hockey coach during a pool play game vs Germany or Switzerland on MSNBC at 4:30 a.m. will turn into a major theme for NBC during the winter games.

I do think it is a cool thing for UW and it's fans however.

I believe UW is in the right track and will return to national prominence very soon. I don't think that Tony Granato coaching the Olympic team this year will have a whole lot to do with that.
                It will do a whole lot more than being with the team for the weeks he'll be away would do. That doesn't mean it's the biggest thing, but every bit helps, especially since one of the biggest issues with this program is public perception (not wins/losses stuff, but "what the heck is college hockey?" stuff).

Also, remember that even casual fans do watch plenty of delayed Olympic broadcasts, especially when games are at crazy hours. I never said the UW name drops were going to be a big deal, just that they would happen and that it could nudge hockey fans towards college hockey. More prominent is all the extra stuff coming from UW about Granato's olympic adventure. If they medal, they get to do a thing at a basketball game (as they've done with Olympic and world junior players). Regardless, we're already seeing stuff around this story.

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                  You may, or may not, know this, but the Ralph is a separate entity from the University.
                  Now that you mention it, that did come up in the women's forum during the discussion of the women's team being shut down in the most disrespectful and haphazard way possible. At least UW picked up a sue goalie so now she can be reformed.

TG to Olympics......After reading more into and seeing how little he will be gone, my initial reaction was a little harsh.

In the end I'm done gnashing my teeth about how popular UW gets in the mainstream of Madison in the future, if they only get 8000 per game, so be it. I want those 8000 people to see a perennial frozen 4 team and a multi national championship team. Those 8000 people will have a heck of a great time.
                  Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                  Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                  "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                  Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• From a poster on Badger247...

"Don't kill the messenger here if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Kyle Hayton transfer is going to happen. Saw him today and overheard him introducing himself and said he is transferring to university of Wisconsin to play hockey.

He was on a tour of my apartment complex."

Comment

Originally posted by GBBadger14 View Post
                      From a poster on Badger247...

"Don't kill the messenger here if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Kyle Hayton transfer is going to happen. Saw him today and overheard him introducing himself and said he is transferring to university of Wisconsin to play hockey.

He was on a tour of my apartment complex."
                      Well if he was in town looking for apartments it must be very likely he is coming.
                      gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Regarding Hayton, as I quoted months ago I'm not holding my breath until any real news breaks.
                        "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Chuck/Andy was named the Director of Scouting for Sioux City. Pretty cool news about a former poster.
                          WISCONSIN BADGERS
                          NCAA Championships: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, and 2006
                          WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1977, 1990, and 2000
                          WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013
                          B1G Tournament Champions: 2014
                          Hobey Baker winner: #5 Blake Geoffrion

Comment

Originally posted by UWisco View Post
                            Chuck/Andy was named the Director of Scouting for Sioux City. Pretty cool news about a former poster.
                            Awesome. Andy Brandt named Assistant H/C @ St. Norberts. A good day to be an "Andy".

Comment

Andy Brandt was named Associate Head Coach at St Norbert. Congrats to him. Well deserved.

Tim and I posting at the same time......sorry
                              gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                                Andy Brandt was named Associate Head Coach at St Norbert. Congrats to him. Well deserved.

Tim and I posting at the same time......sorry
                                It's good news, it's ok to double up on it. He could be a future UW head coach some day, it's great news.

Comment

Working...
                                X