X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey G2O - Making UW Hockey Great Again

Originally posted by markwojo View Post
    I'm ecstatic. Our goaltending was inconsistent at best including Berry. Jurusik has 2 years of track record and I have less hope for him improving significantly then Berry who was only a frosh and showed improvement through the season.. Hayton was 7th in the country in save percentage while our tandem were 61 and 73. More competition is exactly what we need in net. If Berry or Jurusik can step up to the level Hayton has played at the last 3 years, then great they get to play. If they don't, we'll be much better in net then we have been in recent years.
    Their save percentages don't convey how well they played later in the season nor the poor support they had. I agree Berry's top end is higher than Jurusik's, though I think Jurusik's improvement was greater over the year than Berry's. I don't think Hayton coming in for just this year will put them over the top. I think the upcoming year will be not much improvement over last due to the fact that last year was such an amazing improvement.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
      Their save percentages don't convey how well they played later in the season nor the poor support they had. I agree Berry's top end is higher than Jurusik's, though I think Jurusik's improvement was greater over the year than Berry's. I don't think Hayton coming in for just this year will put them over the top. I think the upcoming year will be not much improvement over last due to the fact that last year was such an amazing improvement.
      Still need to come up with a save from time to time in those D breakdown situations. After last year, this teams goals are most likely win B1G and make the tournament. With Hayton in the mix it becomes more realistic.

Comment

Timothy A. Sorry, I didn't see much improvement during the season from Jurusik who to put it politely was not good down the stretch. His play got himself attached to the bench for last 4 games. Jurusik's last 5 games he played, he went 2-3, 4.2 goals against, and .885 save percentage. Berry was the same 2-3 but with a 3.0 goals against and .893 save percentage in his last 5 which included the conference tourney.

And I get quality of shots, quality of defense in front of a goalie, and many other factors are hidden in basic stats like goals against and save percentage. But in the end over a big enough sample size they do mean something and especially compared to your other goalie who in a majority of the comparison is going against the same team the night before. Of Jurusik's 15 starts, he gave up 5+ goals in 4 of them and 4+ goals in 7. So basically in a quarter of his starts, he gave his team almost no chance of winning (cause out scoring 5 goals against isn't happening often) and in a half of his starts he gave them not much of a chance. For comparisons sake, in Hayton's sophomore year, he had ZERO games allowing 5+ and a total of 2 where he allowed 4+ in 33 starts. Last year Hayton had two 5+ goal games and 7 total 4+ games in 35 starts. Over Hayton's career of 103 starts he has a grand total of 4 games he has yield 5+ goal which is the same total as Jurusik did in 15 start this season.

Hayton would be a massive upgrade for the Badgers in net.

Comment

Well said. ^

I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by markwojo View Post
            Timothy A. Sorry, I didn't see much improvement during the season from Jurusik who to put it politely was not good down the stretch. His play got himself attached to the bench for last 4 games. Jurusik's last 5 games he played, he went 2-3, 4.2 goals against, and .885 save percentage. Berry was the same 2-3 but with a 3.0 goals against and .893 save percentage in his last 5 which included the conference tourney.

And I get quality of shots, quality of defense in front of a goalie, and many other factors are hidden in basic stats like goals against and save percentage. But in the end over a big enough sample size they do mean something and especially compared to your other goalie who in a majority of the comparison is going against the same team the night before. Of Jurusik's 15 starts, he gave up 5+ goals in 4 of them and 4+ goals in 7. So basically in a quarter of his starts, he gave his team almost no chance of winning (cause out scoring 5 goals against isn't happening often) and in a half of his starts he gave them not much of a chance. For comparisons sake, in Hayton's sophomore year, he had ZERO games allowing 5+ and a total of 2 where he allowed 4+ in 33 starts. Last year Hayton had two 5+ goal games and 7 total 4+ games in 35 starts. Over Hayton's career of 103 starts he has a grand total of 4 games he has yield 5+ goal which is the same total as Jurusik did in 15 start this season.

Hayton would be a massive upgrade for the Badgers in net.
            My men's team expectations must be lowering themselves in regards to goaltending. You certainly spell it all out. I wonder why they brought in Blomquist. Last year would have been a great opportunity to get his skates wet and see what he can do.

Comment

My men's team expectations must be lowering themselves in regards to goaltending. You certainly spell it all out. I wonder why they brought in Blomquist. Last year would have been a great opportunity to get his skates wet and see what he can do.
              Blomquist was brought in to be a 3rd stringer. He works his tail off at practice and puts in a lot of additional time after practice with other players working on things. He is a great teammate and a player every team needs to be successful. Happy he is a Badger.

Comment

I always love hearing stories about guys like Blomquist. Those are the kinds of guys that help build terrific teams through the effort they put in, even though most don't know what their role is.
                Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
                  Blomquist was brought in to be a 3rd stringer. He works his tail off at practice and puts in a lot of additional time after practice with other players working on things. He is a great teammate and a player every team needs to be successful. Happy he is a Badger.
                  That is fantastic. I recall he won some award during the team banquet.

Anyone else see the super-boring list of people who applied for the coaching position? Only other person I recognized was Alex Brooks. It was an incomplete list as apparently if you asked your name not be made public that you applied they withheld your name, which makes sense if you currently have a job and don't want your boss to know you were shopping around.

Comment

That is fantastic. I recall he won some award during the team banquet.

Anyone else see the super-boring list of people who applied for the coaching position? Only other person I recognized was Alex Brooks. It was an incomplete list as apparently if you asked your name not be made public that you applied they withheld your name, which makes sense if you currently have a job and don't want your boss to know you were shopping around.
                    Yes I saw Brooks, Jake Suter is Gary's son, and Corbin McGuire applied? Grad assistant???
                    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Never forget....Goalie U.

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                        Yes I saw Brooks, Jake Suter is Gary's son, and Corbin McGuire applied? Grad assistant???
                        This is the one that caught my eye.

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                          Corbin......gotta love the go getter attitude the lad has.

Goalie U......I think the impact of losing Opilka sucked that life right out of me on the men's side. FYI he had some bad numbers last year @ Kitchener....3.58/.899 while having ok number the year before....2.70/.906. On the women's side UW will always be Goalie U. I'm hoping for a Badger/Badger Olympic matchup on the ladies' side.

Comment

Steve Miller took Strobel's spot at OSU. I'd say that's a net gain by OSU. Awesome pick-up for Rohlik.

Comment

Steve Miller took Strobel's spot at OSU. I'd say that's a net gain by OSU. Awesome pick-up for Rohlik.

Definitely interesting. I was kind of pulling for Miller to replace Donny. (At least based on the names that Todd Milewski gave in his article a couple weeks back.)
                              Wasn't sure if Miller wanted to go back to being an associate Head Coach again, or leave Colorado for that matter. I guess this hire by Rohlik answered those questions. Good hire by Rohlik.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                                I've watched this kid for three years now, and in my opinion, this is the piece of the puzzle that could make the Badgers great again, not just making the national tournament, but going deep, deep into it.
                                First team all ECAC, 2nd team All American, SLU MVP, Ken Dryden Award winner last season and quite possibly the best goalie in college hockey. He doesn't look much in street clothes, but once he gets between the pipes, this kid's an absolute stud ! He's an incredible skater, lightening quick post to post and low down, mentally superior, ultra competitive, feisty as hell, hardly ever gives up a bad goal, and seems to play his best the bigger the stage. He will just flat out steal games for you that you have no business winning. He did this for SLU time and time again over his time there. I will have to disagree with the SLU fan that said he played behind a great defense. The SLU 'D' has been average at best, and darn right awful the rest of the time. A comedy of errors in their own zone results in numerous turnovers, breakaways and big chances in the slot. Hayton bails this group out constantly to the point I sometimes feel the defense plays too relaxed and careless cos they know he's there for them. If the D was so great they probably won't have given up 3297 shots since Hayton showed up.
                                Stats over time actually do speak volumes. In 104 appearances over the course of three years, Hayton has made more saves than any other goalie in college hockey at 3079. The amazing thing is he has a career .933 save percentage and a 2.08 GAA. These numbers become even more remarkable when you look at the quality of shots and opponents SLU has played. If he was a couple of inches taller, I have no doubt he'd already be playing in the NHL. Badger fans should be very excited about this acquisition, as Coach Granato has massively upgraded his team.

Comment

Working...
                                X