X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey G2O - Making UW Hockey Great Again

Originally posted by rangersrule View Post
    I think the dysfunction between Quennville and Bowman on the Hawks is a bit overblown. There is no way Granato would go to Chicago if he wasn't comfortable with the situation there. You can't really blame him for seizing this opportunity either. A dynamic coach that has succeeded at every level and with a chance to go to one of the premier organizations in all professional sports. Because of the NHL Salary Cap the Blackhawks will be forced to go with many young players in the line up. Don Granato is a perfect fit for what the Hawks need. He has extensive experience coaching young players. UW will be just fine as well. Tony Granato has established himself as one of the best college coaches in the country in only one season at the helm. Top recruits are now looking at UW as the place they want to be. The Badgers will continue to thrive with the current coaches and whomever they bring in as the new assistant.
    Spot on.

There is some tension between Q and Management, but the Hawks are thought of as one of the best run sports franchises in the country right now. Can't imagine not jumping at the chance to be a part of that organization.

I'm surprised we ever had all three at all. That's a lot of talent and pedigree for one college coaching staff.

My gut says that if Tony is truly serious about making this a long term gig, Oz will be gone at some point soon too. Within a few years for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post

I'm surprised we ever had all three at all. That's a lot of talent and pedigree for one college coaching staff.

I was surprised until I saw the salaries. They all got substantial pay raises from their previous jobs. It was a no brainer from a financial point of view, let alone all 3 being good friends.

Comment

Spot on.

There is some tension between Q and Management, but the Hawks are thought of as one of the best run sports franchises in the country right now. Can't imagine not jumping at the chance to be a part of that organization.

My gut says that if Tony is truly serious about making this a long term gig, Oz will be gone at some point soon too. Within a few years for sure.
        Hope they get punished for Hossa's cap circumventing contract and his recent life threatening allergy to his equipment, which if true is really sad. What an awfully convenient time though for it to become a big deal with Hawks millions over the cap with players left to sign... Easy to be one of the best run franchises in the States when you break the rules and don't get punished for it.

Comment

Originally posted by IndianaBadger1995 View Post
          Hope they get punished for Hossa's cap circumventing contract and his recent life threatening allergy to his equipment, which if true is really sad. What an awfully convenient time though for it to become a big deal with Hawks millions over the cap with players left to sign... Easy to be one of the best run franchises in the States when you break the rules and don't get punished for it.

I was speaking of the business operations.

Hossa is a fierce competitor and still effective. You really believe that he is willing to walk away and give up his career to help the team and their cap issues? That needs to be the case for your conspiracy theory to have merit.

Athletes like Hossa have to be dragged away.

Also - the NHL changed the rules AFTER Hossa's contract was signed.

Probably a topic for another thread although your tears are quite tasty.
          Last edited by Gurtholfin; 06-22-2017, 07:01 AM.

Comment

On Donny's new employer....certainly a destination job at this point, but the dysfunction there is very real. The firing of Q's assistant coach buddy (with Q publically voicing his displeasure) is just the most recent manifestation. Then replacing him with 2 new assistants...one a Q buddy and the other presumably not smells like someone upstairs found a solution that makes both GM and coach satisfied. Between trading for Daley and then the coach not playing him, to hiring daddy Bowman's long time lead assistant Barry Smith as a pro personnel guy and then having him jump out on practice ice to "fix" the PP, the dysfunction has many, many examples.

On Hossa, my initial reaction was to also call BS. The timing (just as his actual salary goes to 1 million per the next 4) and the seemingly absurdity of the reason/problem just don't pass the smell test. Upon more thought, I assume there certainly will be medical record confirming this has been an ongoing issue, there is a well regarded Dr making statements on the treatment and the long term effects of the steroids/cortisones (he is not risking his ability to work as a Dr to back some scheme to get out of cap for the Hawks), and there are just so many other things you could "claim" that no one will or can argue. If the only goal was getting out of the cap penalty, Hossa has had back issues, shoulder issues, and concussion. My head hurts or I get dizzy when I try to play or my back is killing me are both something no one will be able to disprove.

Comment

The concussion issue would have been the get out of jail free card and in this climate, no one would have argued it.

I thought he might actually be dead after the Torres hit.

Comment

The concussion issue would have been the get out of jail free card and in this climate, no one would have argued it.

I thought he might actually be dead after the Torres hit.
                I need more Hossa! I am still bumming from the news. I think he is a first ballot HOF. One other thing, no one knows how long he has been fighting this skin condition.

Comment

Stepan to the Coyotes.
                  WISCONSIN BADGERS
                  NCAA Championships: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, and 2006
                  WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1977, 1990, and 2000
                  WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013
                  B1G Tournament Champions: 2014
                  Hobey Baker winner: #5 Blake Geoffrion

Comment

Hossa is a fierce competitor and still effective. You really believe that he is willing to walk away and give up his career to help the team and their cap issues? That needs to be the case for your conspiracy theory to have merit.

yep, he has made more than 90 million dollars, and suddenly, when his salary drops to a tiny fraction of his previous salary, he is done.
                    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                    Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

I'm saying if Hossa is put on LTIR to avoid his recapture penalty (approx. $3.675m cap hit through 20-21) then the Hawks should be punished. I mean, awfully convenient time now that his actually salary went from $7.9m two seasons ago, to $4m this past season and is now down to $1m for the duration left on his contract. If Hossa retires and the recapture penalty is distributed then it's fair game. If not, the Hawks should be punished. It doesn't get more obvious unless one turns a blind eye for their favorite team. The Hawks are not the only team dealing with this (also have Duncan Keith for cap recapture). NJ did with Kovalchuk. Minnesota is going to eat it with the Parise/Suter contracts. Whoever gets the cap recapture for Shea Weber will have trouble (I believe it is Nashville).

Comment

Inamoto, Kalynuk, Ess, and Weissbach were drafted today.
                        WISCONSIN BADGERS
                        NCAA Championships: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, and 2006
                        WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1977, 1990, and 2000
                        WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013
                        B1G Tournament Champions: 2014
                        Hobey Baker winner: #5 Blake Geoffrion

Comment

Any thoughts on DG's replacement? Todd Milewski floated a bunch of names, I like Steve Miller, Mark Strobel and Kevin Patrick.
                          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

job opening for assistant closes today. hopefully they knock it out of the park.
                            gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by IndianaBadger1995 View Post
                              I'm saying if Hossa is put on LTIR to avoid his recapture penalty (approx. $3.675m cap hit through 20-21) then the Hawks should be punished. I mean, awfully convenient time now that his actually salary went from $7.9m two seasons ago, to $4m this past season and is now down to $1m for the duration left on his contract. If Hossa retires and the recapture penalty is distributed then it's fair game. If not, the Hawks should be punished. It doesn't get more obvious unless one turns a blind eye for their favorite team. The Hawks are not the only team dealing with this (also have Duncan Keith for cap recapture). NJ did with Kovalchuk. Minnesota is going to eat it with the Parise/Suter contracts. Whoever gets the cap recapture for Shea Weber will have trouble (I believe it is Nashville).

Whatever the rules are is what should happen.

Nothing more. Nothing less.

I call into question the conspiracy theory that Hossa is somehow in cahoots with management and willing to make up a bizarre medical condition and retire early even though he is still effective.

Again, whatever the rules are is what should happen.

Comment

Working...
                              X