PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Hockey G2O - Making UW Hockey Great Again

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

WiscTJK
08-03-2017, 09:02 AM
The issue with the end wall screen is the nearer you sit to the endwall, the harder to see the screen, hence I would go with a small center hung scoreboard, which I do believe there is enough height to accommodate. Or add another endwall screen on the south end. The resolution on the current one is crappy.

I hope they fix the lack of concessions first. On busy days you will wait 15 - 20 minutes to get served and stand in long lines at the one regular concession stand.

Timothy A
08-03-2017, 11:23 AM
I hope they fix the lack of concessions first. On busy days you will wait 15 - 20 minutes to get served and stand in long lines at the one regular concession stand.

Good call. I don't buy concessions too often unless we get stuck there for lunch or supper due to a dumb start time or there is a nacho/popcorn craving, then we buy/eat right away prior to warm-ups. I never attempt an in game food run. Even the just popcorn/soda stand gets a long line between periods. On the games where it's meal time, I'd like to see a Cousin's stand and just grab a pre-made sub like at the KC.

GBBadger14
08-03-2017, 09:05 PM
Tony Granato will be the US Olympic coach, via Brian Posick and other accounts on Twitter. Chelios will be an assistant.

gwhinwi
08-03-2017, 09:37 PM
Tony Granato will be the US Olympic coach, via Brian Posick and other accounts on Twitter. Chelios will be an assistant.

Well, that will certainly make for an interesting season.

GBBadger14
08-03-2017, 09:45 PM
Well, that will certainly make for an interesting season.

Yea, it should be interesting to see how much of a time commitment it is. Will they have some sort of evaluation camp, or will the team be put together one the fly like the last few with NHL guys?

gwhinwi
08-03-2017, 09:51 PM
Yea, it should be interesting to see how much of a time commitment it is. Will they have some sort of evaluation camp, or will the team be put together one the fly like the last few with NHL guys?

It's really hard to know, considering the NHL isn't allowing players to participate this time around.

GBBadger14
08-03-2017, 09:58 PM
It's really hard to know, considering the NHL isn't allowing players to participate this time around.

Gotta like Kunin's chances if he doesn't make the big boy squad.

Timothy A
08-04-2017, 10:08 AM

Not a fan of this. My focus is on UW and this will certainly impede the programs development, along with the loss of Donnie. Now if Donnie was still here, I wouldn't feel so apprehensive. I just want the program to get rolling with continuity.

KaMiGo
08-04-2017, 11:36 AM
Not a fan of this. My focus is on UW and this will certainly impede the programs development, along with the loss of Donnie. Now if Donnie was still here, I wouldn't feel so apprehensive. I just want the program to get rolling with continuity.

Most reports are saying that he will only miss a few series. It isn't like he is gone for the entire season. And it isn't like the guys filling in lack in experience, Oz has NCAA AHC and HC experience and also AHL AHC experience. Strobel has NCAA and USHL AHC experience.

According to Milewski's tweets, Tony will be gone:
Nov 10-12 for Deutschland Cup, will miss Nov 10-11 at Michigan State
Feb 10-25 for Olympics, may miss all or part of Minnesota series Feb 9-10 at home, Badgers have bye next weekend (a gift from the hockey deities), will miss Feb 23-24 at Ohio State

He will almost certainly be back for conference playoffs starting March 2.

I like the move. It gives UW exposure on a world-wide scale. At least in the US broadcasts, how many times do you think they are going to mention "UW Head Coach Tony Granato" during a game?

I think prospects will love the idea of playing for a coach who has NHL and Olympic coaching experience.

It may sting for a few weeks this season, but I think it will have a positive overall impact.

solovsfett
08-04-2017, 12:43 PM

Great news! This is great for Tony, UW and USA hockey and I'm now very excited for the olympics for a change.i loved college players at the olympics.

This could be a boon for recruiting at UW, Granato's stock has done nothing but rise since he was hired at UW.

Johanson, Granato, Chelios and likely 2 badger players on the roster? ****...

gwhinwi
08-04-2017, 01:12 PM
Great news! This is great for Tony, UW and USA hockey and I'm now very excited for the olympics for a change.i loved college players at the olympics.

This could be a boon for recruiting at UW, Granato's stock has done nothing but rise since he was hired at UW.

Johanson, Granato, Chelios and likely 2 badger players on the roster? ****...

I think the hockey will be very interesting this time around. We'll see college players for the U.S. but nothing will stop professional leagues in other countries from sending their players. I would think Russia would probably send a strong contingent of players in their pro-league, but that's just a guess on my part.

KaMiGo
08-04-2017, 01:38 PM
I think the hockey will be very interesting this time around. We'll see college players for the U.S. but nothing will stop professional leagues in other countries from sending their players. I would think Russia would probably send a strong contingent of players in their pro-league, but that's just a guess on my part.

I'll be curious to see what the balance is of NCAA and AHL players vs US players from the European/Russian leagues.

Are there any guys that are young/good enough in the foreign leagues to get roster spots?

I can't say that I follow things close enough to even take a guess...

Fighting Sioux 23
08-04-2017, 01:39 PM
I dare say that new display will be one of the best in college hockey. That is probably on par with or better than some of the screens you might see in NHL rinks.

I guess we know where some of that ticket money has been going.

Gotta admit...pretty jealous of that scoreboard. Looks amazing. Hopefully, the Ralph will add something similar in the near future.

Timothy A
08-04-2017, 02:11 PM
Gotta admit...pretty jealous of that scoreboard. Looks amazing. Hopefully, the Ralph will add something similar in the near future.

First take some money off the top and re-fire up your women's team before you do a scoreboard.

MadCityRich
08-04-2017, 03:17 PM
First take some money off the top and re-fire up your women's team before you do a scoreboard.

:eek:Oh SNAP!:eek:

Congrats to Tony. Mixed feelings as a fan, but as others have mentioned, good for Tony and good for program recognition (as if it needed it! ;)).

Fighting Sioux 23
08-04-2017, 07:47 PM

You may, or may not, know this, but the Ralph is a separate entity from the University. The Ralph has spent several million dollars on upgrades over the past few seasons to ensure the arena is the best in college hockey, and I would expect a new scoreboard is on the horizon. As for ponying up the $32 million endowment to keep the women's program, I don't believe the Ralph has that kind of money.

LTsatch
08-04-2017, 08:46 PM

Yales Keith Alain also an Assistant Coach.

altazo
08-04-2017, 10:21 PM
I like the move. It gives UW exposure on a world-wide scale. At least in the US broadcasts, how many times do you think they are going to mention "UW Head Coach Tony Granato" during a game?

Honestly, I don't think that point will be made clear at all to anyone who doesn't already follow college hockey. I think they will refer to him as "USA head coach Tony Granato" far more often. Casual "sports fans" who like to watch the olympics on TV likely aren't too concerned with the hockey coach's resume.

Still, a unique opportunity for Tony and shows how tight his relationship with USA hockey remains...

WiscDC
08-04-2017, 11:48 PM

Warning: elaborate metaphor incoming...

This program doesn't need to get rolling. It barely has the raw natural resources. Those need to be refined into usable materials. Those materials need to be used to manufacture parts. Then they need to use those parts to rebuild the program. Then they need to get the thing going.

It wasn't like when the Leafs were bad in Toronto. That was painful, and the demand for tickets went down, but it was still a half-sleeping giant at worst. In the Badgers' case, the entire meaning of "college hockey" changed in just a few years on the UW campus. (...and from what I've been able to tell, off campus too.)

When most hockey fans on campus don't really care about UW hockey (there's no way for me to measure that, but even based on unscientific observations, I say that with confidence), the fact that the current head coach was chosen to coach Team USA, even in this non-NHL situation, does way more to elevate the program in the eyes of the public (not to mention future players).

Edit:

Honestly, I don't think that point will be made clear at all to anyone who doesn't already follow college hockey. I think they will refer to him as "USA head coach Tony Granato" far more often. Casual "sports fans" who like to watch the olympics on TV likely aren't too concerned with the hockey coach's resume.

First, the NBC guys will definitely mention UW a couple times per broadcast based on past experience. They shoehorn in college hockey references to help give USA Hockey a positive nudge in the consciousnesses of fans who follow the NHL, but see anything beyond that as exotic mysteryland (most of the US). Second, if you narrow down those casual fans to UW fans, they'll also be seeing UW sports things that they subscribe to, and they'll know that, "hey, the Badgers' head coach is coaching the olympic team." Third, to get UW's program to where it could/should be (and where it was, even in the 2000s), they need to get the hardcore hockey fans (who never got introduced to college hockey) and the casual-hockey-but-hardcore-Badgers fans on board. In both cases, it definitely helps to know that yes, UW hockey is very relevant in its sport, and is a big deal.

WiscDC
08-04-2017, 11:50 PM
Gotta like Kunin's chances if he doesn't make the big boy squad.

He'd be ineligible for the team, because he's on an NHL contract even in the AHL. Among players in the AHL, it's the guys on AHL-only deals that are available.