X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey G2O - Making UW Hockey Great Again

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    Granato got robbed for the coach of the year. Montgomery wins coaching a team to the F4 that was a preseason #3. Big whoopty ding. Granato did awesome things with an under-talented mentally defeated group of players.
    I agree, Tim. That's exactly what I told Mrs. MCR. If you coach 'em up to what you're expected to do, what did he do to earn COTY? I figured Tony was a shoe-in.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
      I agree, Tim. That's exactly what I told Mrs. MCR. If you coach 'em up to what you're expected to do, what did he do to earn COTY? I figured Tony was a shoe-in.
      I wouldn't have argued with Granato winning it, but personally I thought the turn-around from Western Michigan was at least as amazing (maybe even a bit better).

In the 6 years Murray has been there, the team has records of:
      21-14-6
      19-11-8
      19-16-5
      14-18-5
      8-25-3
      22-13-5

I don't pay attention to them, so I can't say for sure what happened in the past 5 years, but it was certainly a downward trajectory. Going from 8 wins to 22 (and making the tournament) over 1 year is pretty good.

Looking at the draft status of the WMU roster, I'd say that they may have done more with less than what UW did this year.

And sure, you can argue that Murray dug himself out of a hole that he created vs Granato coming in and doing this in his first year.

I could see valid arguments on either side.

Comment

While we may not agree with it, I think I can understand biasing the vote a little more towards on-ice results than general improvement. And by that measure, it's hard for a coach of a powerhouse program to win without getting an at large bid (at least) when others are following a 2-3 seed season with a 1 seed season.
        Last edited by ExileOnDaytonStreet; 04-05-2017, 05:41 PM.
        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

The rumor mill says that Gwoz is a finalist for the Sparty job.

If that comes to pass, that would mean that half of the Big Ten will be coached by a Badger alum.
          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post

If that comes to pass, that would mean that half of the Big Ten will be coached by a Badger alum.
            That would suck. He's got the goods to make something succeed over there.
            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post

Kinda sweet. I'd love to see Wisconsin stomp on Gwoz's teams for a change. Although I don't foresee him being there long IF he gets the job.

EDIT: Also... Michigan may be in the market for a coach soon. That would leave Jeff Jackson and Lucia as the "old lions". And gwiz if he's at msu

Will this league be 7 .500 teams because they kick the crap out of each other? Or will 2-3 coaches rise above?

The next 3-4 years are going to be very interesting.
              Last edited by solovsfett; 04-05-2017, 10:01 PM.
              Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

• Per UND, the Sue come to Madison November 3/4.

Also, per Milewski, UW and Michigan Tech are pushing back their contract to later seasons (tbd), so they will not be going to Houghton next season.

Comment

Originally posted by GBBadger14 View Post
                  Per UND, the Sue come to Madison November 3/4.

Also, per Milewski, UW and Michigan Tech are pushing back their contract to later seasons (tbd), so they will not be going to Houghton next season.
                  Well that kind of sucks, I was looking forward to a possible trip to the UP.

The Long-Term Schedule doc has been updated.

Comment

• Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post

FWIW, someone in the schedules thread said UW will make the return trip Merrimack next season, which presumably takes the place of the Tech trip.

Comment

• Of course we all know there are 10 Badgers in the NHL play-offs, let's not forget about the Madison area players as well. Nick and Jordan Schmaltz, Phil Kessel,Galchenyuk with Washington was raised in MKE I think, but he played MJ in Canada. Anybody else from around the state?
                      Last edited by MadCityRich; 04-12-2017, 09:23 PM.

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

• Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post

Sucks. I love the UP and was looking forward to staying in Houghton/Hancock for a few days. Always a fun weekend there, but to Mass.? **** no.
                        Last edited by MadCityRich; 04-12-2017, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Looking through some of the scheduling info for this year, it looks like we might have a 4-year rotation started with Merrimack.

They came to UW in 16-17. According to this article from Merrimack about the scheduling of the 16-17 dates, they are expecting UW to visit in 17-18 and 19-20. I can't imagine that the administration would have done a 1-for-2 with a mid-level Hockey east team. It would certainly have to be a 2-for-2.

I expect it will be
                          home in 16-17, 18-19
                          away in 17-18, 19-20

I have updated the Long-Term Schedule accordingly.

Although all of this may be thrown out with the revised needs of conference scheduling. I'll update the doc accordingly as I get any information.

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                            Of course we all know there are 10 Badgers in the NHL play-offs, let's not forget about the Madison area players as well. Nick and Jordan Schmaltz, Phil Kessel,Galchenyuk with Washington was raised in MKE I think, but he played MJ in Canada. Anybody else from around the state?
                            I know you have a connection with the Kessels and I'm sure they are nice people, but Phil and Amanda go to you-know-where.
                            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                              I know you have a connection with the Kessels and I'm sure they are nice people, but Phil and Amanda go to you-know-where.
                              I get it, I'm cool!

Comment

• Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                                Of course we all know there are 10 Badgers in the NHL play-offs, let's not forget about the Madison area players as well. Nick and Jordan Schmaltz, Phil Kessel,Galchenyuk with Washington was raised in MKE I think, but he played MJ in Canada. Anybody else from around the state?
                                Galchenyuk plays for Montreal, first of all. Second...the Milwaukee connection is pretty much limited to "he was born and (presumably) learned to walk there." He was born in Milwaukee, but moved to Europe when he was four, learned to play hockey in Russia, moved to Chicago at 15, and then was off to the OHL.

Comment

Working...
                                X