X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey G2O - Making UW Hockey Great Again

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
    While I'm at it get rid of eat **** **** you at football it's weak sauce and about as imaginative as Dylan Thomas
    What would be your method for eliminating this? I'd love to see it happen. I'd also love to see all of the other crude pieces taken out of the hockey cheers. "By the bright shining light, of the mother f-ing moon" can go away. "That's debatable...you still suck dick" can disappear. "You still suck dick" in any usage can also disappear. I know the band tries to play over some of these when they can, but I'd rather see the students realize that it adds nothing to the environment and just stop.
    I know it is something that the Administration recognizes and would like to see it stopped. But you can't reasonably expect to control a crowd of several thousand college students when they think it is cool to shout swear words and/or demeaning and/or homophobic phrases at each other or the opponent.
    I think they even tried something at football games along the lines of a raffle for a free spring break trip if they didn't do the ES/FU chant, but they still did it. As soon as one person starts it and the students realize that there isn't a reason to abstain any longer they jump in wholeheartedly.
    Last edited by KaMiGo; 03-20-2017, 01:04 PM. Reason: spelling correction

Comment

• Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
      What would be your method for eliminating this? I'd love to see it happen. I'd also love to see all of the other crude pieces taken out of the hockey cheers. "By the bright shining light, of the mother f-ing moon" can go away. "That's debatable...you still suck dick" can disappear. "You still suck dick" in any usage can also disappear. I know the band tries to play over some of these when they can, but I'd rather see the students realize that it adds nothing to the environment and just stop.
      I know it is something that the Administration recognizes and would like to see it stopped. But you can't reasonably expect to control a crowd of several thousand college students when they think it is cool to shout swear words and/or demeaning and/or homophobic phrases at each other or the opponent.
      I think they even tried something at football games along the lines of a raffle for a free spring break trip if they didn't do the ES/FU chant, but they still did it. As soon as one person starts it and the students realize that there isn't a reason to abstain any longer they jump in wholeheartedly.
      My easiest way to kill ES/FU that never caught on was to replace it with "Tastes Great"/"Less Filling".
      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

There was a morning, I won't say exactly when, that I was looking in the mirror, adjusting the knot on my Sid Mashburn tie before leaving for a meeting when it hit me-- I was no longer a totally rad dude. In fact it was entirely possible I had even become one of... them.

The thing for students to do is to do new student things, not what the old people want. Although it is nice to maintain a few traditions passed down through the generations.

Spring river run walleye fishing is terrific thing. Anybody that hasn't tried it, should.

I was thinking about a couple of players and how they've come along through just plain hard work. I've mentioned Cavallinni before.
        There are 5 guys who started every game this year, one of whom is Corbin McGuire. To me that is astonishing. A guy who never played D in his life until last year was able to stick in the line up on a 20 win team, even though there were some serviceable D on the roster who actually played D for years. Not to mention he took a beating and got up and kept going all year. Especially this last weekend, where guys 6'5 and 6'6 were crushing him, but he hung in there and fought for every inch.

A year ago I myself, (who admittedly am pretty much a defender of players most of the time) posted that I thought Tim Davison could not be in the line up, because whatever upside he had in puck skills could never be over come by his traffic cone D. This weekend Timmy was +1 and even in two games against the number 2 an 3 highest scoring teams in the nation. He was solid and while not mistake free, battled and made plays that I would never thought him capable of. Sure maybe some of it is coaching, but the fact is that all the coaching in the world can't make a silk purse and it's a testament to Tim's hard work, dedication, and sheer will to get better. He is not a tremendous athelete like JD or a skater like Tischke who can make up for mistakes with his skates. He has to do it right all the time to be successful. And while sure, the D was the weak link all year, they gave up only 2 goals in 140 minutes against these high octane teams. They were really good when the chips were all in.

Tim and Corbin may never go down in history alongside the great Wisco Dmen, but I have a ton of respect for these guys for making the most of what they have. They've earned it.
        Originally posted by WiscTJK
        I'm with Wisko and Tim.
        Originally posted by Timothy A
        Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

For those who want to start looking ahead to the future (per a Todd Milewski article from earlier this year - LINK

snips from the article
          - The Badgers and the Wildcats are scheduled to play in Ashwaubenon again next season, tentatively Oct. 20-21, 2017, according to a contract between the schools.
          - The rest of the 2017-18 non-conference slate, per signed contracts and earlier announcements, is scheduled to include two-game home series against North Dakota, St. Lawrence and Mercyhurst and a road trip to Michigan Tech.

- A four-year contract with St. Lawrence and Clarkson has the Badgers playing once at each school this season and in 2018-19. St. Lawrence plays a two-game series at the Kohl Center in 2017-18 and Clarkson visits in 2019-20.
          - After UW plays at Michigan Tech this season, the Huskies come to Madison in 2018-19.
          - The Badgers’ return series for two home games against Omaha this season comes in 2019-20.

NMU was a bottom third team, finishing at 13-22-4
          NoDak was a top 10 team, finishing at 21-15-3
          St Lawrence was an upper third team, finishing at 17-13-7
          Mercyhurst was another bottom third team, finishing at 15-20-4
          Michigan Tech was a middle team that won the WCHA to make the NCAA, they went 23-14-7

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
            For those who want to start looking ahead to the future (per a Todd Milewski article from earlier this year - LINK

snips from the article
            - The Badgers and the Wildcats are scheduled to play in Ashwaubenon again next season, tentatively Oct. 20-21, 2017, according to a contract between the schools.
            - The rest of the 2017-18 non-conference slate, per signed contracts and earlier announcements, is scheduled to include two-game home series against North Dakota, St. Lawrence and Mercyhurst and a road trip to Michigan Tech.

- A four-year contract with St. Lawrence and Clarkson has the Badgers playing once at each school this season and in 2018-19. St. Lawrence plays a two-game series at the Kohl Center in 2017-18 and Clarkson visits in 2019-20.
            - After UW plays at Michigan Tech this season, the Huskies come to Madison in 2018-19.
            - The Badgers’ return series for two home games against Omaha this season comes in 2019-20.

NMU was a bottom third team, finishing at 13-22-4
            NoDak was a top 10 team, finishing at 21-15-3
            St Lawrence was an upper third team, finishing at 17-13-7
            Mercyhurst was another bottom third team, finishing at 15-20-4
            Michigan Tech was a middle team that won the WCHA to make the NCAA, they went 23-14-7
            I'm thinking of surprising the Mrs. and flying her home for the UND series (as she is a Sue fan.)
            Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
              I'm thinking of surprising the Mrs. and flying her home for the UND series (as she is a Sue fan.)
              I'll bet she is a beauty.

And smart.

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post

And smart.
                She'd have to be for him anyone to put up with her choice of hockey teams.

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                  I think mark nails my thoughts as well here. Just based on what the NHL has done in the past, Hughes could be the top flight risk. Which would make me sad because he is a guy that has really improved his game each year he's been here and I'd love to have him back to see if he couldn't do it again and be a dominating player as a Senior.

With Kunin, well, he's in the same boat as Kerdiles, but I question whether he's as far along as Nic was. He has a much better shot, but I feel like his whole game needs another gear yet. Evidenced maybe by his lower production against top competition. For example in the last 6 games vs. OSU/PSU he's 2g 1a 3pts. On the other hand, given the right linemates in the NHL I don't doubt he could score right now at that level. On yet another other hand I'm not sure he fits into the Wild line up at the moment, plus I believe the Wild have two other 1st rounders in the system. At the time Kerdiles left it actually looked like he'd have a pretty good shot of making the big club. Somebody that follows the Wild closer than I do could perhaps make a better guess at Kunin's chances? But if chances aren't great I just don't believe in college guys Kunin's age leaving expressly to go grind it out in the AHL.

Might be wishful thinking, but I have some hope that Kunin comes back for unfinished business. Unless he's going straight to the Big Club, I think he should stay.

I'd be shocked to see Freddy go.

Greenway and Tischke could be a very small risk. With Greenway, you just hope he's happy here. He'd still be eligible to go play Major Juniors like Dougherty did should he so choose. If he can work his *** off in the off season, he could really be something special. Funny thing about him right now is that the coaches have raved about how well he sees, thinks, and understands the game. Occasionally it seems that way and yet sometimes it just seems like his brain goes in neutral. I don't get it. Tischke's progress has been impressive and while probably unlikely, it's not totally inconceivable he could field offers.

I like Inamoto a lot. He's going to be like Tischke, but better I think.
                  Well the lineup goes as such:

Zucker-Koivu-Granlund
                  Nino-Staal-Coyle
                  Parise-Hanzal-Pominville
                  Stewart Haula-White

The only one I'd want him in over would be White . Don't think it's a good idea for a prospect to play 4th line though.

The "Wild" (lawl) card is the Iowa Wild are fighting for a playoff spot and the organization may want him to play for them.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post

And smart.
                    Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                    She'd have to be for him anyone to put up with her choice of hockey teams.
                    You're both right!

Comment

Originally posted by IndianaBadger1995 View Post
                      Well the lineup goes as such:

Zucker-Koivu-Granlund
                      Nino-Staal-Coyle
                      Parise-Hanzal-Pominville
                      Stewart Haula-White

The only one I'd want him in over would be White . Don't think it's a good idea for a prospect to play 4th line though.

The "Wild" (lawl) card is the Iowa Wild are fighting for a playoff spot and the organization may want him to play for them.

Thanks! And I agree about prospects playing 4th line time.

Based on Milewski's tweet about his conversation with Tony it doesn't look all that promising:

I do see that #18 overall pick Alex Tuch who is a heck of a player is in Iowa. 20th overall Joel Eriksson-Ek has been up briefly and is in Sweden. Jordan Greenway is also expected to leave this year. It's a bit of a glut of high end forwards trying to get a spot. Kunin also could sign and find himself traded the next day. Or in Vegas. Who knows?
                      I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
                        I guess it's true, love knows no bounds. Maybe I should not have dumped that gopher girl after all, then I'd be not nearly happy as I am now.

So I must say it's a little shocking to see TG downright telling Kunin to leave. I appreciate his honesty and not being politically correct.
                        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                          I guess it's true, love knows no bounds. Maybe I should not have dumped that gopher girl after all, then I'd be not nearly happy as I am now.

So I must say it's a little shocking to see TG downright telling Kunin to leave. I appreciate his honesty and not being politically correct.
                          I got lucky with this one. She is a Badger fan when they are not playing Sue. Odd lady, but she would have to be to be with me for almost 20 years.

In regards to Tony's comments. He couldn't have said it better. Those kinds of comments will gain the respect of every player on the team if Kunin stays or not.

Gotta figure everyone would want a coach like that.

Comment

Let's see...

- Glut of good-ish forwards already on the roster
                            - Plenty of other forward prospects in the pipeline

A few other superficial similarities and this sounds a lot like what Nic Kerdiles faced.

Obviously no two situations are truly alike (and TG sure makes it feel like a foregone conclusion), but I suppose there's a non-zero chance that between that and the Wild's history of patience with prospects can give us a reprieve.

Of course, all that competition might just get his juices flowing and make him leave quicker. Lord knows I'll never know anything like what he's going through right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                              Thanks! And I agree about prospects playing 4th line time.

Based on Milewski's tweet about his conversation with Tony it doesn't look all that promising:

I do see that #18 overall pick Alex Tuch who is a heck of a player is in Iowa. 20th overall Joel Eriksson-Ek has been up briefly and is in Sweden. Jordan Greenway is also expected to leave this year. It's a bit of a glut of high end forwards trying to get a spot. Kunin also could sign and find himself traded the next day. Or in Vegas. Who knows?
                              Tuch has been up with the big squad I believe two times and I think he can be somewhat lazy/unassertive in his play. Probably why he didn't stick around long either time. Eriksson Ek on the other hand is a completely different story. I wouldn't be surprised if he's in the lineup during the NHL playoffs. He did really well in his 9 game stint at the beginning of the year. He's good in the d-zone. 100% effort guy. Not sure who he would replace unless they slide Haula to wing. He is the replacement for Koivu in the long run. I actually haven't heard anything about Jordan Greenway leaving.

It's kinda cool that the Wild had Kaprizov, Eriksson Ek, Kunin, and Greenway beasting at the WJC.

If Kunin wants to make the big club I'd think he be best served to wait a year. The Wild won't be able to afford re-signing Haula unless he wants under $1m in cap hit. Eriksson Ek will replace him one would assume because he's better (and personally I think Kunin is better on the wing). In one year's time the Wild could have trouble re-signing Zucker(and Dumba), who plays Kunin's position at RW, with the little amount of cap hit they have while still being strapped with Pominiville's $5.6m cap hit and the additions of the big contracts Nino and Granlund are bound to sign this summer. That's where Kunin's $.925m cap hit is the most valuable.

I just don't see a spot for him on next year's big league team unless they trade Pominville.

Does Kunin want to play for the Iowa Wild or get his degree? That's the question that will determine his decision in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by IndianaBadger1995 View Post
                                Tuch has been up with the big squad I believe two times and I think he can be somewhat lazy/unassertive in his play. Probably why he didn't stick around long either time. Eriksson Ek on the other hand is a completely different story. I wouldn't be surprised if he's in the lineup during the NHL playoffs. He did really well in his 9 game stint at the beginning of the year. He's good in the d-zone. 100% effort guy. Not sure who he would replace unless they slide Haula to wing. He is the replacement for Koivu in the long run. I actually haven't heard anything about Jordan Greenway leaving.

It's kinda cool that the Wild had Kaprizov, Eriksson Ek, Kunin, and Greenway beasting at the WJC.

If Kunin wants to make the big club I'd think he be best served to wait a year. The Wild won't be able to afford re-signing Haula unless he wants under $1m in cap hit. Eriksson Ek will replace him one would assume because he's better (and personally I think Kunin is better on the wing). In one year's time the Wild could have trouble re-signing Zucker(and Dumba), who plays Kunin's position at RW, with the little amount of cap hit they have while still being strapped with Pominiville's $5.6m cap hit and the additions of the big contracts Nino and Granlund are bound to sign this summer. That's where Kunin's $.925m cap hit is the most valuable.

I just don't see a spot for him on next year's big league team unless they trade Pominville.

Does Kunin want to play for the Iowa Wild or get his degree? That's the question that will determine his decision in my opinion.
                                Yeah, I forgot to mention Kaprizov, the Russian WJ captain, is in there too. I've seen some speculation that the Wild could put a prospect with a player in a deal to protect their D from the expansion draft for Vegas as well. Which could work for or against Luke, I guess, but it does add another element of uncertainty. Ultimately I'd guess it's a couple of year plan for all these first rounders to be on the team together.

Waiting a year makes sense to me. Let the Wild sort out their cap and trades, have a chance to be an All-American, a Hobey Finalist, play in the Frozen Four. I can't think of a single guy hurt by coming back for their Junior year. I can think of several hurt by going early. But in spite of that, 95% of them do go, don't they. No doubt it's a tough decision when it's your dream to play in the NHL.

Assuming Luke leaves, he's scored a bunch of big goals here, but I have to say that this play is going to be one play that sticks with me for a long time. Freddy serves it up for exactly the shot we want Luke to take .... but Luke doesn't shoot! Ugh! If you watch it a few times, you also see how Freddy kicks it to his stick after...and it just slips one inch too far to put it in the open goal... Heartbreaking.
                                I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Working...
                                X