X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey G2O - Making UW Hockey Great Again

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
    It looks like both of the Badger teams had power failures this weekend. Disappointing, especially the ladies. Oy.

Both completely dominated their opponents and deserved to win.

The men are on the right path and this season will be viewed as a big success even if it ended short of what they were hoping for.

The women have to be crushed and their season is an opportunity lost.

Comment

Simply question (maybe) I will pose to the regular posters here. In a selection committee "vacuum" of sorts, if the committee was left with either Wisconsin or Ohio State for the last at-large spot in the tourney without the PWR formula and instead they were to use more of the NCAA Basketball selection criteria, which team do you think they would pick?

I'd personally lean towards UW, but I want to see if others agree.

Comment

Originally posted by BuB View Post
        Simply question (maybe) I will pose to the regular posters here. In a selection committee "vacuum" of sorts, if the committee was left with either Wisconsin or Ohio State for the last at-large spot in the tourney without the PWR formula and instead they were to use more of the NCAA Basketball selection criteria, which team do you think they would pick?

I'd personally lean towards UW, but I want to see if others agree.
        I would think they would lean towards Ohio State. 7-3 in their last ten. Badgers were 5-5. OSU had a better overall record as well.

It would have been great to see Bucky in the tournament again, but I don't think that they would have deserved it based on how they finished the season (when you look at the criteria you mention.)
        Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

It looks like both of the Badger teams had power failures this weekend. Disappointing, especially the ladies. Oy.
          Tough to watch that one in person, but proud of the ladies fight til the end, but the trip was a blast. My eldest son spent hours reading outloud in the truck "Musky Strategies" by Tom Gelb, which was fascinating, that guy is a genius. Now we have the dead period from now til 5/6, no college hockey, no musky shows to go to. Other than prepping the gear and the boat and staring at the recruiting spreadsheets (and make a moon phase spreadsheet), I'm going to go insane with boredom.
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
            Tough to watch that one in person, but proud of the ladies fight til the end, but the trip was a blast. My eldest son spent hours reading outloud in the truck "Musky Strategies" by Tom Gelb, which was fascinating, that guy is a genius. Now we have the dead period from now til 5/6, no college hockey, no musky shows to go to. Other than prepping the gear and the boat and staring at the recruiting spreadsheets (and make a moon phase spreadsheet), I'm going to go insane with boredom.
            I can randomly change things on the spreadsheet every once in a while to keep you on your toes if that helps.
            Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

A good time to make your own lures.
              XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
              Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Say what you will about Penn State in general, but after reading this article you have to see that they are doing some things right.

What stands out to me most is how they treat the student section
                Originally posted by From the Article
                An official student organization, the Roar Zone meets monthly to brainstorm new cheers and routines intended to energize the crowd and unnerve the visiting goalie
                I would LOVE to see something like that happening at UW and have sent an e-mail to the administration with this information.

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
                  Say what you will about Penn State in general, but after reading this article you have to see that they are doing some things right.

What stands out to me most is how they treat the student section

I would LOVE to see something like that happening at UW and have sent an e-mail to the administration with this information.
                  See post #289 .
                  "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

See post #289 .
                    I would be more than happy to have a Badger Hockey Orientation Program in fall for new students. I would employ the likes of EODS, Almington, Gurt, Tim, solo, and other Badger Hockey longtimers. I know times change, but it's been a while for the old stuff and time to change back.
                    Yeah, that's not exactly what I was getting at...

There is a yuge difference between the "old timers" wanting to mold the new batch of students in their collective image and organizing the new batch of students to allow them to develop something that is uniquely theirs.

Sure, there could be an interesting "Student Sections of Years Past" presentation to show the new students what was done in the past. It could provide valuable historical context for what could be expected in terms of energy and engagement. Hell, I never knew that the "When yous say Wisconsin..." bit was based on an old TV commercial until I saw someone mention it here. That commercial came out before I was even born.

I do not think that we need to have old people come in and tell the new students "This is what worked for us 20 years ago so this is what you need to do now". The game is different, the students are different, the world is different.

This generation of students would be more likely to have the following interaction during player introductions:
                    PA - Starting in Goal, Number 31, Peyton Jones
                    Students - Swipe Left!
                    If you don't understand the reference, that may be part of the issue...hell, I had to google which way to swipe because I'm too old to be part of that generation. For all I know students would look at this and respond with "eww, that is so over, nobody uses that anymore".

If it means so much to you to keep the legacy cheers alive, start a group of Grumpy Old Men and get seats together and do the Rumble Rink cheer until soil your Depends.

Comment

There is a yuge difference between the "old timers" wanting to mold the new batch of students in their collective image and organizing the new batch of students to allow them to develop something that is uniquely theirs.

Completely agree.

The banners and the Rumble Rink and all that isn't coming back nor should it.

It's antiquated and to be honest, cheesy by today's standards.

Good memories, but time marches on and things must evolve and as you say, today's students should create their own thing.

If it means so much to you to keep the legacy cheers alive, start a group of Grumpy Old Men and get seats together and do the Rumble Rink cheer until soil your Depends.

Salty.

Yet funny.

Comment

Go fish for Walleyes.

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
                          I can randomly change things on the spreadsheet every once in a while to keep you on your toes if that helps.
                          You can leave the spreadsheet alone, any changes may give me a heart attack one way or the other. LOL

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                          A good time to make your own lures.
                          I have looked into this and may end up messing around with it. I do make my own jigs and paint them. I have also made smaller french spinners before when I was a Lutheran Pioneer Leader.

Originally posted by dtrumbower View Post
                          Go fish for Walleyes.
                          Our next species to target is large mouth bass, walleyes don't do much for me. I'd rather eat pike, blue gils or perch.
                          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

I've been killing it on trout streams all year.

Such a mild winter although that never stops me. Was out on opening day and it was -2.

Boat fishing bores me in comparison to be honest although have a Canada trip in a few months with about 7 of my kid's team mates/buddies and their dads (who are my buddies) which will be fun.

Comment

• Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
                              Yeah, that's not exactly what I was getting at...

Sure, there could be an interesting "Student Sections of Years Past" presentation to show the new students what was done in the past. It could provide valuable historical context for what could be expected in terms of energy and engagement. Hell, I never knew that the "When yous say Wisconsin..." bit was based on an old TV commercial until I saw someone mention it here. That commercial came out before I was even born.

I do not think that we need to have old people come in and tell the new students "This is what worked for us 20 years ago so this is what you need to do now". The game is different, the students are different, the world is different.

This generation of students would be more likely to have the following interaction during player introductions:
                              PA - Starting in Goal, Number 31, Peyton Jones
                              Students - Swipe Left!
                              If you don't understand the reference, that may be part of the issue...hell, I had to google which way to swipe because I'm too old to be part of that generation. For all I know students would look at this and respond with "eww, that is so over, nobody uses that anymore".

Saw a ped state game on tv and their students brought in signs etc and were pretty nuts.

As for your crack about old people maybe that will play better when and if this new generation ever actually gets off their asses and brings their own cheers etc and provides enthusiasm. Until then you'll have to deal with us old timers who provided the crowd spark in the 80's and 90's lament why the admin is so lame and the students can't come up with cheers anymore.

While I'm at it get rid of eat **** **** you at football it's weak sauce and about as imaginative as Dylan Thomas
                              Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Tim, the end of the college hockey season usually (depending on water temps as you know), triggers the Lake Monona muskies trying to jump the dam into Lake Wingra from the connecting Wingra Creek. If you've never been there before, it is quite a site seeing 50+ inchers trying to scale that dam. They are usually swimming around below the dam; you can get within a few feet of them. Absolutely incredible. It's a small time frame and if you hit it right it's very difficult to leave! An older video, but it's the same annually. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMQK4chHjiM
                                "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Working...
                                X