X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
    Re: badger hockey as we knew is dead...

It might be.

But...there are some missing pieces to the ambiance puzzle that might be leading to less enthusiastic/intimidating/and fun crowds.

Remember we're nostalgic for a time when kids could bring in banners and a gopher on a stick and the band was on the glass, the team was winning 20+ games annually, had superstar players, AND don't forget how the beer garden added to the atmosphere.

Start a chant of "4 we want more" or the rumble rink or when the other team scores a "who? So what?!? Big deal!!!" In a sold-out venue with a perennial title contender and the crowd having a few beers and suddenly you've got some real volume and enthusiasm.

Maybe I'm a Pollyanna but bring all those things back and see what transpires.

I bet the atmosphere improves quite a bit
    The only thing that is going to improve the atmosphere is winning with exciting hockey and time. Those fans of the 80s and early 90 had years of exciting hockey and a winning tradition to get them excited. Now, not so much. This fan base wasn't destroyed overnight, it was a decade long decay process (Thanks Mike!) that was accelerated by the formation of the B1G (Thanks Barry!) at the worst possible time. It isn't going to be a one year rebuilding process either, real noticeable results will take at least 5+ years to 1.) build the conference rivalries to a place where regular season matchups matter to us "elite legacy" fans the way that the UND and DU series did and 2.) build a new generation of fans who are excited about Badger Hockey for what it currently is and not what it once was which can only happen when we all (myself included) start embracing the current conference because it isn't going away.

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey G2O - Making UW Hockey Great Again

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
      Total load of crap.

I know hockey extremely well and rarely feel like participating in group cheers.

There are plenty of games for every team everywhere these days where the crowd is flat. Blackhawks, Badger football, Brewers, Packers...

The excitement level of the crowd is far more related to the stakes of the individual game than it is to good or bad or knowledgeable fans.
      Let's not forget how easy it is to get streaming coverage of F'in Hawks now too.
      Last edited by burd; 03-18-2017, 05:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
        When you have been doing the same thing for as long as Leckrone has, you undoubtedly fall into a comfort zone and stick with what you know and what works.

It will be a sad day when he passes the baton to someone new, either by his choice or by nature's choice, but it will be an opportunity for the band to become something new.
        I've had the same thoughts. He's meant so much to the University for so long.

Comment

• I would be more than happy to have a Badger Hockey Orientation Program in fall for new students. I would employ the likes of EODS, Almington, Gurt, Tim, solo, and other Badger Hockey longtimers. I know times change, but it's been a while for the old stuff and time to change back.
          "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

• Brian Posick just tweeted than Ann-Renèe just won the Kazmeier!

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Badgers have as good a scenario as they could have hoped for. Playing a team on their third night that played the late game and a double OT. Plus win or lose, PSU is in the NCAA's.

Question is will they come out and really press in the first, or will they, as they have so often, sit back and wait to see what PSU has left to offer? PSU legs will be fine early, it's a question of whether the boys can get after it right away and wear them down over the long haul. If not, any physical advantage isn't going to amount to much. Looking forward to it.
              Originally posted by WiscTJK
              I'm with Wisko and Tim.
              Originally posted by Timothy A
              Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                Brian Posick just tweeted than Ann-Renèe just won the Kazmeier!
                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Wow. Gotta give stick taps to the Bouncyball boys.

Great example of your best guys being your best guys when it counts. I also have to say that even though it was close the whole way and the Badgers had some good runs, I never felt like they were going to win until there were 3 seconds left...

Huge win there. Let's get another tonight and another tomorrow afternoon, and this will be a pretty good Bucky weekend!
                  I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

• End of the 2nd period. Badgers look lackadaisical...Again. getting outworked. Different team then who played yesterday. Penn State definitely has more talent. But this badger team seems bipolar or something over the last few weeks in terms of their effort.

Hopefully the good side of their bipolar personality comes out in the 3rd period

Comment

• Jesus ****ing christ, wI'll Ped St hit the wall?

Comment

• Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                        Jesus ****ing christ, wI'll Ped St hit the wall?
                        Penn St is in UW'S kitchen. Hell, they are in my kitchen.

Comment

Originally posted by NEWI Badger Fan View Post
                          Penn St is in UW'S kitchen. Hell, they are in my kitchen.
                          Tell 'em to make you a sandwich.

Tony talked about short shifting before the game to keep pressure up, but the Badgers were getting caught long a lot that period.

One period for your season boys. Go get it!
                          I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

• A reasonable season but an embarrassing loss againt a team that could barely move its feet. Nice to see more scoring, wonderful to see a more competitive team, and hope to hell it's not just because it was year three of the awful cycle.
                            Wisconsin Hockey: What're YOU looking at?

The number of times a poster posts per day is directly correlated with how dissatisfied he is with his relationship.

Comment

Tough to end the season because we lost a game that we clearly should've won, but it's hard not to be happy and proud at how far this team is come in the last year.
                              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• Well we had our chances. You miss so many, then boom. I hate Ped St for so many reasons, but props to the players. I will never congratulate that school for anything. **** em...here's to an early exit.

Comment

Working...
                                X