X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey G2O - Making UW Hockey Great Again

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
    Deb Hauser?
    Could of been, I walked over there to thank them for coming and I got shushed away. Of course I got too close to the police perimeter tape around the band.

I don't think it's heresy to like some new songs they play. I'm in favor of ANY live music from the band. I rather enjoyed some of the music Robert Morris's band played last Saturday, though I couldn't outwardly sway or bop to it.

Let's beat Rohlik's crew lads. Hate to see a Badger on Badger battle, but so be it. The cardinal must prevail over the scarlet.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by RedStripes View Post
      I know this amounts to heresy but I enjoyed the mixup in selections from the band under its late season direction. I especially noticed it during the Saturday night Ohio State game. The band's music selections between periods had been pretty much the same for several years.
      When you have been doing the same thing for as long as Leckrone has, you undoubtedly fall into a comfort zone and stick with what you know and what works.

It will be a sad day when he passes the baton to someone new, either by his choice or by nature's choice, but it will be an opportunity for the band to become something new.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
        If people actually prefer canned music to the pep band, then the atmosphere is dead for good.

You can't do anything with people if they just want to be silenced by the PA system.
        I'm not saying that I want 10-15 seconds of a pop song pumped through the PA at every stoppage, but there is something to be said for a properly-timed, high-energy song to get the crowd awake at the right time.

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
          I'm not saying that I want 10-15 seconds of a pop song pumped through the PA at every stoppage, but there is something to be said for a properly-timed, high-energy song to get the crowd awake at the right time.
          Yes, if you're at WrestleMania.
          Originally posted by WiscTJK
          I'm with Wisko and Tim.
          Originally posted by Timothy A
          Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
            Or if the crowd is useless.
            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
              If people actually prefer canned music to the pep band, then the atmosphere is dead for good.

You can't do anything with people if they just want to be silenced by the PA system.
              If people being silenced by the sound system were a problem, it would be a good problem to have. Even on the good days when the studing section is going, not nearly enough people want to continue even the simplest "let's go red" in the rest of the arena. The old people have been dreadful with the "we want more" thing.

Remember that 99% of people don't want to be loud compared to the people near them, even if a lot of them would like it if the rest of the crowd were already loud, allowing them to join in.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                Or if the crowd is useless.
                Or if they are casual hockey fans.

Not every person in the stands can get excited by things like "Oh my gosh, did you see the awesome fore-checking from the fourth line!!??!!" "Holy cow, can you believe how they progressed through that 1-3-1 trap??!!??"

I don't know much about hockey. I was never exposed to it growing up. I found it as a college freshman at Northern Michigan University when (during orientation week) they said "hey, come on over to our brand new hockey arena and pick your seats. You can put the bill on your student account, so you don't really have to pay for anything!". I started going to games and picked up the basics...what the typical penalties are, along with the concepts of offsides and icing...and went about my business watching and enjoying the game from a 5000' level.

I think that too often the fans on this board tend to be a bit elitist. The majority of the fans at UW games are watching from that 5000' level (and not just because they got the cheap seats in the 300 ring). They can sense the general flow of the game, they get excited with consistent offensive zone pressure, they cheer/boo when the video screen bounces back and forth with guys in the penalty boxes, they count along when Phil prompts them to. They are very reactive fans. If someone does something to get them excited, they get excited; if there isn't anything prompting them to get excited, they will sit there quietly and watch the game with limited reaction unless something happens.

You can call the crowd useless, but that isn't going to change the nature of the fanbase in Wisconsin. It would be great if there was constantly exciting play that kept the fans excited and engaged, but when that isn't happening it falls back on the athletic department via their gameday staff to help provide the energy. And sometimes a well-timed and high-energy hit through the PA can do that.

Comment

Regarding Leckrone, the one thing I've never understood about the way he wants things run during the game is that the band doesn't usually play during stoppages that aren't tied to some kind of timeout. There are no short bits played by any non-percussion instrument. Quite frankly, it's always going to be quiet in that case.

The solution would be a sound system that allows for subtle amplification of the band at the far end of the arena, like they have at the final four in men's basketball (where thigs aren't physically concentrated enough for the band to be nearly loud enough). A couple of drummers doing the usual cadences sounds good when you're near it, but it's easy to see why people at the far end (save for six people I know personally) have that "sit back and take in the game" feeling.

When I was officially a season ticket holder, I always selected 100% band for that question, but that was only to push the percentages in that direction. There are definitely times when pumping in some music makes more sense to me, and it fits the mood better. It also allows that majority of the crowd (ANY crowd will have this) that enjoys a loud, active atmosphere, but would never want to be loud unless 80-90% of the arena is already going, to feel less self-conscious about being a little bit vocally active.

I'll also say my usual thing:

The Badgers hockey as we knew it died. The fan base as we knew it died. It skipped a whole cycle of students. Even before that, people posting on a USCHO forum aren't representative of the people at most games. And now? We have to build an almost entirely new fan base as if this is a new program. And yeah, that newbie in section 201 might respond better to "Welcome to the Jungle" than some super quiet drumming.

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post

Not every person in the stands can get excited by things like "Oh my gosh, did you see the awesome fore-checking from the fourth line!!??!!" "Holy cow, can you believe how they progressed through that 1-3-1 trap??!!??"

I don't know much about hockey. I was never exposed to it growing up. I found it as a college freshman at Northern Michigan University when (during orientation week) they said "hey, come on over to our brand new hockey arena and pick your seats. You can put the bill on your student account, so you don't really have to pay for anything!". I started going to games and picked up the basics...what the typical penalties are, along with the concepts of offsides and icing...and went about my business watching and enjoying the game from a 5000' level.

I think that too often the fans on this board tend to be a bit elitist. The majority of the fans at UW games are watching from that 5000' level (and not just because they got the cheap seats in the 300 ring). They can sense the general flow of the game, they get excited with consistent offensive zone pressure, they cheer/boo when the video screen bounces back and forth with guys in the penalty boxes, they count along when Phil prompts them to. They are very reactive fans. If someone does something to get them excited, they get excited; if there isn't anything prompting them to get excited, they will sit there quietly and watch the game with limited reaction unless something happens.

You can call the crowd useless, but that isn't going to change the nature of the fanbase in Wisconsin. It would be great if there was constantly exciting play that kept the fans excited and engaged, but when that isn't happening it falls back on the athletic department via their gameday staff to help provide the energy. And sometimes a well-timed and high-energy hit through the PA can do that.

Total load of crap.

I know hockey extremely well and rarely feel like participating in group cheers.

There are plenty of games for every team everywhere these days where the crowd is flat. Blackhawks, Badger football, Brewers, Packers...

The excitement level of the crowd is far more related to the stakes of the individual game than it is to good or bad or knowledgeable fans.

Comment

• Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post

Someone remind me to come back to this later in the weekend when I have more time to explain what a bunch of malarkey this post is.
                      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
                        I think that too often the fans on this board tend to be a bit elitist.
                        I've seen that in a couple groups of friends who are huge fans, and all I can think is, "this program is in NO position to have fans be exclusionary."

They all expect new and casual fans to be somewhat to mostly on board with both the emotional connection to the teams AND to some strict structure. That goes completely against the "chant everything, improvise, and join in" thing that gave the crowds a bit of extra magic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                          The excitement level of the crowd is far more related to the stakes of the individual game than it is to good or bad or knowledgeable fans.
                          This is absolutely true, and for most people around here, the stakes are NEVER sky high, because not many people follow the team closely and have both an established emotional connection to the team and knowledge of the game's context in the current season. That's disappointing, as we'd all agree.

(This comment is only to add to the fact quoted, not to refute or take a side.)

Comment

Meh... let's not forget this year's experience is 8-9-1 at home. Compared to the last good home crowd year of 13-14 when they were 17-2 at home.

Quite a difference there in total things to cheer about at each game as well, even though it's all much better than the last two years, obviously.
                            Originally posted by WiscTJK
                            I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                            Originally posted by Timothy A
                            Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Ustaski still on the first line *bangs head repeatedly*

Comment

Not the prettiest W but I'll take it. Not sure about you guys, but I would prefer to play Minnesota tomorrow.
                                WISCONSIN BADGERS
                                NCAA Championships: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, and 2006
                                WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1977, 1990, and 2000
                                WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013
                                B1G Tournament Champions: 2014
                                Hobey Baker winner: #5 Blake Geoffrion

Comment

Working...
                                X