X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey G2O - Making UW Hockey Great Again

Originally posted by GrinCDXX
    Are you honestly trying to suggest that if the Badgers had become the first program in history to win 6 straight conference championships, you wouldn't be holding that up as a pretty lofty accomplishment? Just stop.

Are you honestly trying to suggest that because you hold these as lofty that everyone else must also? is that the only way to look at it?

Like I said. It's great.

It's not the ultimate goal though.

I'd be disappointed that the Badgers hadn't cashed in on at least one of those seasons with a Championship. Opportunity lost for a program of our stature.

2011-2017 is opportunity lost for the Packers.

I'm being honest. I don't see why it's hard to believe that I'd have higher expectations or hopes for some of my teams than others. Or why my hopes/expectations for my team might be different from someone who follows a lesser program.

Comment

Is Matty J done for the season? I heard he got injured from a friend at the game.

Comment

Originally posted by IndianaBadger1995 View Post
        Is Matty J done for the season? I heard he got injured from a friend at the game.

Didn't look good.

Leg buckled under him and he couldn't put and weight on it.

Was flopping around on all fours and then had to push his own net off to get the whistle.

Needed help off the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
          Lulz

That's so Jan.

Seriously can't believe a Gopher fan just said that.

Lololololol
          I can see how a Wisconsin fan would be happy not winning conference championships, and because of that, not getting invited to the NCAA's, and because of that, firing your coach. It sure makes tickets cheap and easy to get. You guys seemed to have got used to losing, so OK by me.
          XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
          Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Congrats to the goofs on their B1G title. Conference championships measure where you start just as much as where you finish. That the goofs have won so many conference titles indicates that they have started with more, more often than the Badgers. Or put another way, the Badgers have started with less but finished with more, more often than the goofs. We're perfectly fine with that.

Boys were as tight as they've been all season and I can't say I didn't expect it. I was a bit worried that all the extra curricular activities going on this week might have an effect on the players. They've been immersed in Badger history and all the great things that have happened here in the past. 60 alumni in and of course a lot of talk about how great they all were and how much they won. You get around that and you want to be just as great, want to put the program back on the right track, you want to be heroes too... Thing is, all you have to do is just go out there and play your game. You can't carry the weight of all these expectations around with you 24/7 and still do what you're supposed to do at the highest level.

Tight, tentative, worried about making mistakes-- it's a recipe for disaster and it's exactly how they played. Once the thing was out of hand they relaxed and played well. Let's hope it's out of their system and they just go out there and play the game tonight.

It appears that the goalie situation is resolved. Matt's injury did not look good at all, and while you can never tell for sure, I gotta believe he's done for the year. Tough on Jack to come right back after having a less than stellar outing, but he's been very good mentally all year and I think there's reason to have some confidence that he can be the man down the stretch.

Your best players have to be your best players when it counts. Kunin, Hughes, Frederick, Besse, have to carry the load, play 200' and make things happen. Let's Go Red!
            Originally posted by WiscTJK
            I'm with Wisko and Tim.
            Originally posted by Timothy A
            Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Speaking for myself, I'd say good for you guys. Here's a pat on the back and a cookie.

But if you want to come in here and lord your conference titles over us your barking up the wrong tree. Every coach here for the last 50 years was either Badger Bob or part of his coaching tree and the goals and expectations for this program are and always have been two things: Get better every week. Win the National Championship.

So yes, it's a fine thing the goofs have done. It's just not what we're about and the history of the program speaks to that. The goal for the team this year wasn't to win the conference. It wasn't even talked about. The first goal Tony set at the beginning of this year was make the FF. Everything they have done every week is geared toward that. Have a chance to be the best at the end without regard to whether it makes you the best in January or not. That is how Wisconsin Hockey has worked for 50 years. Gopher Hockey works different. Good for you.
              I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

• Originally posted by Happy View Post
                I can see how a Wisconsin fan would be happy not winning conference championships, and because of that, not getting invited to the NCAA's, and because of that, firing your coach. It sure makes tickets cheap and easy to get. You guys seemed to have got used to losing, so OK by me.
                Minnesota winning 6 conference championships in a row i cool and a nice accomplishment. However, Minnesota has the best high school players in the country. By far. They should have more National Championships then any program in the country. But they don't. So while conference championships are a nice accomplishment. Not winning many more National Championships is a much bigger disappointment given the talent they have at their disposal.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                  Speaking for myself, I'd say good for you guys. Here's a pat on the back and a cookie.

But if you want to come in here and lord your conference titles over us your barking up the wrong tree. Every coach here for the last 50 years was either Badger Bob or part of his coaching tree and the goals and expectations for this program are and always have been two things: Get better every week. Win the National Championship.

So yes, it's a fine thing the goofs have done. It's just not what we're about and the history of the program speaks to that. The goal for the team this year wasn't to win the conference. It wasn't even talked about. The first goal Tony set at the beginning of this year was make the FF. Everything they have done every week is geared toward that. Have a chance to be the best at the end without regard to whether it makes you the best in January or not. That is how Wisconsin Hockey has worked for 50 years. Gopher Hockey works different. Good for you.
                  It just so happens if you are not good enough to win, or almost win the Big Ten
                  Championships, you are also not good enough to get invited to the NCAA playoffs. You can't win a National Championship if you are sitting at home, watching the other Big Ten teams playing at the NCAA. Every one knows that Wisconsin hockey has completely sucked lately, but if you are not winning even a few regular season games, you are not going to win a National Championship, either. and, Wisconsin's being a complete loser lately has dragged down the SOS of the other Big Ten schools, so you have been hurting their chances at the NCAA's too. You might as well fold her up, and play BB.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                    It just so happens if you are not good enough to win, or almost win the Big Ten
                    Championships, you are also not good enough to get invited to the NCAA playoffs. You can't win a National Championship if you are sitting at home, watching the other Big Ten teams playing at the NCAA. Every one knows that Wisconsin hockey has completely sucked lately, but if you are not winning even a few regular season games, you are not going to win a National Championship, either. and, Wisconsin's being a complete loser lately has dragged down the SOS of the other Big Ten schools, so you have been hurting their chances at the NCAA's too. You might as well fold her up, and play BB.

What's your point? Goof's were 6-11 in non-conference games last year. Why are you looking to us for an excuse?
                    I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Quit feeding the trolls, especially the pompous goofers. We all know their the best in their own minds!
                      gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

I DID see Jurusik on crutches before the end of the game. I don't recall, is it the same knee/leg as the previous injury?

IMO, Kohl Center was kind of a morgue and "paid" attendance was under 10,000. To me it looked like 8,000 in the house. I didn't feel like the team "felt it" last night. There's a lot to play for and the result was disturbing. 11 goals the past 2 games is as well. I like Greenway b/c I love players on the edge HOWEVER, they've got to lock him up in a padded cell so he can let out his frustrations or whatever's in his head. This team cannot afford to have one knucklehead **** things up...they're not that good yet. Let's get the split. ****em Bucky.

EDIT: Oh and congrats goofers. I may take **** for this, but if not us as BT champs, might as well be rodents.
                        Last edited by MadCityRich; 03-11-2017, 12:33 PM.
                        "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

What's your point? Goof's were 6-11 in non-conference games last year. Why are you looking to us for an excuse?
                          Actually, I like watching you lose, so I am getting a kick out of the last few years.

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                            I DID see Jurusik on crutches before the end of the game. I don't recall, is it the same knee/leg as the previous injury?

IMO, Kohl Center was kind of a morgue and "paid" attendance was under 10,000. To me it looked like 8,000 in the house. I didn't feel like the team "felt it" last night. There's a lot to play for and the result was disturbing. 11 goals the past 2 games is as well. I like Greenway b/c I love players on the edge HOWEVER, they've got to lock him up in a padded cell so he can let out his frustrations or whatever's in his head. This team cannot afford to have one knucklehead **** things up...they're not that good yet. Let's get the split. ****em Bucky.

EDIT: Oh and congrats goofers. I may take **** for this, but if not us as BT champs, might as well be rodents.

I believe this was Jurusik's left and before it was his right.

I don't think I've ever seen a whistle on a breakaway like that for a scrum behind the play. Especially when Joshua jumps on Greenway. I just don't see how a ref can watch all that happen and think he should blow it dead before the break away is clear. I guess if you see your team is giving up a 2 on 0, you should just grab the guy next to you and punch him?

If it's not going to be us, the last team I want to see win is the smug jerks to the west. OSU, MSU, MI, PSU and the Catholics next year are all welcome to it first.

Speaking of Catholics, I heard Lucia went apoplectic when he heard the they were joining the conference. To be fair though, he thought they meant Holy Cross.
                            I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

. Every coach here for the last 50 years was either Badger Bob or part of his coaching tree and the goals and expectations for this program are and always have been two things: Get better every week. Win the National Championship.
                              If you are going to make a dig and that's cool but something needs be said. Interesting, you bring up the WI coaching tree, where exactly was the late great BADger Bob and the late great Jeff Sauer from? When they learned the game both great coaches played outdoors in the local parks and lakes. Even today both of your coaches are well liked, respected and loved by the their native people.
                              Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                              dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                              wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by druzy192 View Post
                                Minnesota winning 6 conference championships in a row i cool and a nice accomplishment. However, Minnesota has the best high school players in the country. By far. They should have more National Championships then any program in the country. But they don't. So while conference championships are a nice accomplishment. Not winning many more National Championships is a much bigger disappointment given the talent they have at their disposal.
                                Hey I get it Wisconsin has done an excellent job over the years of winning national championships and Minnesota fans have been disappointed by not winning more when the talent is there around the state. What we have found out since the addition of UMD, SCSU, BSU,and Mankato all being D1 schools the talent level is spread out and the best players sadly don't always attend the University of Minnesota. As the years have gone on the near misses of winning championships still bothers us.
                                Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                                dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                                wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Working...
                                X