Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 Women's D-III NCAA Selection Thread

First - the manual -- http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/fi...l_20170104.pdf

The 2017 NCAA D3 Women's Ice Hockey tournament will be 8 teams.
    Pool A will be 5 teams consisting of AQs
    ECAC-W
    MIAC
    NEHC
    NESCAC
    NCHA

Pool B will be 1 team from one of the following
    WIAC
    CHC
    Lebanon Valley
    Northland

Pool C will be two teams
    Anyone not selected above.

The Primary Criteria
    ● Won-lost percentage against Division III opponents.
    ● Division III head-to-head competition.
    ● Results versus common Division III opponents.
    ● Division III strength of schedule.
    ....- Opponents’ Average Winning Percentage (OWP).
    ....- Opponents’ Opponents’ Average Winning Percentage (OOWP).
    (See Appendix C for explanation of OWP and OOWP calculations. Strength of schedule will be weighted at 2/3 OWP
    and 1/3 OOWP).
    The who plays where criteria
    Once selected, teams will be grouped in clusters according to natural geographic proximity. A team may be moved to
    balance the bracket if geographic proximity is maintained (i.e., no flights are created). Teams should be paired and
    eligible sites should be selected according to geographic proximity (within 500 miles).
    Teams may be seeded on a regional basis using the selection criteria. However, geographic proximity takes precedence
    over seeding.
    Teams from the same conference will not be paired to play each other in the first contest of the regional tournament as long
    as geographic proximity is maintained.
    The highest-seeded team that has submitted a bid and meets all selection criteria will be selected as the host institution,
    provided geographic proximity is maintained.
    All things being equal, it is the West's turn to host the National Semifinals and Finals on March 17 and 18.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Re: 2017 Women's D-III NCAA Selection Thread

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Pool B will be 1 team from one of the following
    WIAC
    CHC
    Lebanon Valley
    Northland
    So, Pool B will be River Falls, Endicott, or Morrisville. Have to believe that River Falls will get the nod - they deserve it to date, but also if only to give a fighting chance to the West to have a team qualify for the final four so they have a host site.

Comment

Hunt Arena in River Falls has been renovated...would make a perfect host site.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
        So, Pool B will be River Falls, Endicott, or Morrisville. Have to believe that River Falls will get the nod - they deserve it to date, but also if only to give a fighting chance to the West to have a team qualify for the final four so they have a host site.
        I assume Adrian will be in the mix as well and would qualify as a "western" host. However I think it'd be cheaper to transport teams to River Falls thru MSP than to Adrian.

I think it's obvious River Falls will get the Pool B, but if not they should get a Pool C.

What I think is interesting is that, I would d assume, Plattsburgh and Elmira are in no matter what...it's just the way things go. Then if River Falls gets the Pool B.... who gets the other Pool C. There are a lot of teams in the East with a lot of losses. If Lake Forest splits with Adrian...do they have a chance at the Pool C?

No one out of the MIAC should be in contention. I'd assume the Nescac runner up would be in the running but they would have at least 6 losses. Norwich/manhattanville would have at least 6 losses. So that leaves Endicott with 3 losses (2 that count) and Lake Forest would be at 4 losses if they win 1/3 against Adrian. ( assuming they lose in the NCHA title game)

I really don't know. Does Endicott have a strong enough case?
        Last edited by gojackets; 02-06-2017, 01:38 PM.
        UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
        NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
        Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

What is the priority of the Pool B/C? They treat Pool B like it's own conference and then whoever isn't selected goes to the Pool C group?

For me, if UWRF can't beat out Morrisville/Endicott for the Pool B then they would not be considered ahead of the other eastern schools or Lake Forest in the Pool C group. And, as UWRF showed they are very beatable by being taken to the brink a week ago by UWS. Eau Claire can tie them for the conference with a sweep this weekend. EC handled them quite easily the first time they played this year. If RF loses more than one game the rest of the way I do not think they will get the Pool B.

Agree with gojackets thought from another thread; if the conference alignments are as they are rumored to be then the WIAC schools will be struggling for a Pool C bid. They are going to have to find a way to find the funding to play some eastern schools to get the SoS up or least play Adrian and Lake Forest. That or go undefeated.

As for hosting, not sure UWRF will qualify if they do make it. As I said in another thread their rink is complete but not the facility. There are no concessions and the main rink entry is not complete so there effectively is no lobby. Not sure the NCAA would find it's current state acceptable for such an event.

Comment

Originally posted by hieronymus View Post
            What is the priority of the Pool B/C? They treat Pool B like it's own conference and then whoever isn't selected goes to the Pool C group?

t.
            In a sense but there is no auto qualifier. Eau Claire has no chance at the Pool B or C even if they were to somehow sweep River Falls this weekend. I don't think my any stretch of the imagination that that will happen. I obviously wasn't at the game but can you really say a team "handled" another team in a 2 score win (with an empty netter) while being outshot?

At 15-7-1 Eau Claire would not get the Pool B ver River Falls. River Falls has the one loss. IMO River Falls has the Pool B locked up even if they split with Eau Claire this weekend.
            UWS Ladyjackets

Comment

Originally posted by gojackets View Post
              What I think is interesting is that, I would d assume, Plattsburgh and Elmira are in no matter what...it's just the way things go. Then if River Falls gets the Pool B.... who gets the other Pool C. There are a lot of teams in the East with a lot of losses. If Lake Forest splits with Adrian...do they have a chance at the Pool C?
              I think it's way to early to think anyone is a lock. Plattsburgh has two with Elmira this weekend. A sweep by either puts the other one at least on edge. That's because in order to need an at-large bid, they would be losing one more game after that. I think if Plattsburgh gets at least one game with Elmira this weekend, they should be close to a lock.

If River Falls loses the rest of their games, I don't think they would be a lock either. That said, they aren't going to lose the rest of their games. As for Endicott or Morrisville, I doubt they are in serious consideration for Pool B. That should become evident when the first NCAA rankings are released.

One final note for the Final Four hosting, what is the nighmare scenario if River Falls and Adrian both lost in the QF?
              Steve
              Penn State Class of '95
              Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
                One final note for the Final Four hosting, what is the nighmare scenario if River Falls and Adrian both lost in the QF?
                Probably depends who the MIAC representative is. If it's Gustavus they should have no problem hosting, same with St Thomas. If it's somehow Augsburg they just did a remodel on their arena as well. If anything I'd plan on flying to MSP. LOL
                UWS Ladyjackets

Comment

I'm still waiting for crosscheck to come in and tell me I'm an idiot and that a 9 loss Nescac team is far superior to any western team.
                  UWS Ladyjackets

Comment

I'm still waiting for crosscheck to come in and tell me I'm an idiot and that a 9 loss Nescac team is far superior to any western team.
                    It's not a real discussion until he/she gets here anyway, is it?
                    Steve
                    Penn State Class of '95
                    Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

ok...you're an idiot....apparently with a "Uuuuuuuge" inferiority complex apparently too.
                      [that said, even bottom-tier nescac teams like Trinity or Wesleyan could give most any team (western or otherwise) all they could handle on any given day].

For the record, I don't think any team in the nescac has a legit chance to win the NCAA. That said, the Nessie is a better and more balanced Conf this year than ever before...top to bottom, no conference can compare with the overall strength of the nescac [I know that will probably make you cry, but facts are facts...When nearly every team's record is .500 or better...you really can't argue the point...You can't take night's off in the nescac like you can in most every other conf.]. And, while I don't think any team is dominant as in prior years, that can also be said for the entire country. Platty's going to win, everyone else is playing for 2nd place...including whatever western powerhouse you'd care to name.

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
                        It's not a real discussion until he/she gets here anyway, is it?
                        I'm not going to argue with that!

Comment

"western powerhouse"

Lol, nice oxymoron!

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                            "western powerhouse"

Lol, nice oxymoron!
                            Silly question, but have you seen Adrian play any this season (I have not seen River Falls this season, so far)?

Comment

Originally posted by obserbear View Post
                              Silly question, but have you seen Adrian play any this season (I have not seen River Falls this season, so far)?
                              My definition of a powerhouse is any team with multiple national championships. There are many strong programs out there and Adrian is among those, but for me a powerhouse is a program that has a history of winning the hardware on the national stage to back it up.

For Adrian, penalty trouble will cost them yet again in the post season. That's their trademark really.
                              Last edited by shelfit; 02-07-2017, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X