2016 Ledyard Classic Hosted By Dartmouth / U Mass-Lowell / Army / Colgate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016 Ledyard Classic Hosted By Dartmouth / U Mass-Lowell / Army / Colgate

The Big Green will be hosting the 28th Annual Ledyard Classic on December 30 - 31 to close out 2016. This year's team's includes very good competition:
    U Mass /Lowell, Army, and Colgate. Let's hear from the respective teams in how they will match up with each other since the two ECAC teams will only play the other non-conference teams.

Re: 2016 Ledyard Classic Hosted By Dartmouth / U Mass-Lowell / Army / Colgate

Originally posted by BIG Green View Post
    The Big Green will be hosting the 28th Annual Ledyard Classic on December 30 - 31 to close out 2016. This year's team's includes very good competition:
    U Mass /Lowell, Army, and Colgate. Let's hear from the respective teams in how they will match up with each other since the two ECAC teams will only play the other non-conference teams.
    It's an elimination tournament this year, so Dartmouth could face Colgate on the 2nd day.

Comment

I'm not so sure about the "very good competition" part, but I am glad to see Army is playing well in the AHC and look forward to Lowell playing some teams we haven't played in a while. Also looking forward to visiting Thompson and Hanover. It should be a great time.
      I have been confused about the tournament structure. Will the championship game be played in the late game Saturday, or does Dartmouth play late regardless of their outcome friday?

Comment

Originally posted by LTI Alum View Post
        I have been confused about the tournament structure. Will the championship game be played in the late game Saturday, or does Dartmouth play late regardless of their outcome friday?
        According to their schedule page on the athletics website, Dartmouth will play the 7pm game both nights regardless of outcome. They have Army listed as playing at 4pm on Saturday against Umass Lowell/Colgate. Enjoy your trip! I've never been, but some of the other Lowell fans I know have warned me that Thompson rink gets very cold, so dress accordingly.
        Last edited by Middle Street; 12-27-2016, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Middle Street View Post
          According to their schedule page on the athletics website, Dartmouth will play the 7pm game both nights regardless of outcome. They have Army listed as playing at 4pm on Saturday against Umass Lowell/Colgate. Enjoy your trip! I've never been, but some of the other Lowell fans I know have warned me that Thompson rink gets very cold, so dress accordingly.
          Thanks Middle street. I have heard that about Thompson. I will wish for a win vs Colgate Friday and an Army upset over Dartmouth. Then I can get out early on Saturday for 3 1/2 ride home.

Comment

Originally posted by LTI Alum View Post
            Thanks Middle street. I have heard that about Thompson. I will wish for a win vs Colgate Friday and an Army upset over Dartmouth. Then I can get out early on Saturday for 3 1/2 ride home.
            Army and Colgate tied in the first game played at the Class of '65 Arena christening in October. That may tell a lot about the relative strengths of each team, although I think Army has progressed since then. 'Gate is a young team that lost many great seniors last year + most of their offensive firepower. The frosh and sophs are in a steep learning curve but are gaining positive game experience that may help them toward the end of the season and in the ECAC playoffs.

Lowell is always tough, and while the Big Green are middling, playing in Thompson Arena should give them extra urgency in this tourney.
            COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Good catch on the schedule Middle Street! If they followed last year's format of only playing non-conference teams then the team with the best record (of course, there would be a great chance of a tie) so point differential was the deciding factor in the eventual winner. But looking at the Dartmouth's schedule it would support your contention. I think the object or intent was to play two non-conference foes regardless which would make a whole lot of sense. Ironically, I do not find the Thompson rink that cold! LOL!

Comment

Good catch on the schedule Middle Street! If they followed last year's format of only playing non-conference teams then the team with the best record (of course, there would be a great chance of a tie) so point differential was the deciding factor in the eventual winner. But looking at the Dartmouth's schedule it would support your contention. I think the object or intent was to play two non-conference foes regardless which would make a whole lot of sense. Ironically, I do not find the Thompson rink that cold! LOL!
                According to USCHO's preview, it also appears that they expect the winners to play Saturday night.
                Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
                  According to USCHO's preview, it also appears that they expect the winners to play Saturday night.
                  I hate when these tournaments mess with everyone and complicate formats. Keep it simple stupid!
                  Hockey East Tournament Champions - 2013, 2014, 2017
                  Hockey East Regular Season Champions - 2013, 2017
                  Frozen Four - 2013

Charter member of Darin's "UML Seven"

Gooooooooooooo....Rivermen!

Comment

Originally posted by riverchief1 View Post
                    I hate when these tournaments mess with everyone and complicate formats. Keep it simple stupid!
                    This explains it all!

uick Tournament Fact: Both Dartmouth and Union finished 2-0 at last year’s Ledyard Bank Classic, but the Big Green won the tournament based on goal differential. This year’s tournament will have semifinals as Colgate faces UMass-Lowell and Army faces Dartmouth. The winners of those games face off in the championship game, while the losers face off in the consolation round.

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
                      You meant the article confirms the 2 winners play each other, but not necessarily in the later game right? I still think Dartmouth plays at 7pm both nights, similar to Minnesota in the Mariucci Classic.

Anyways, in terms of match ups this weekend, the Army goalie could be difference maker. He is coming in with a .940 sv%. I know its AHA, but given they have a winning record this season and in prior years they have been towards the bottom of AHA, I think their recent success is in large part due to his play.
                      Last edited by Middle Street; 12-28-2016, 08:59 AM.

Comment

You meant the article confirms the 2 winners play each other, but not necessarily in the later game right? I still think Dartmouth plays at 7pm both nights, similar to Minnesota in the Mariucci Classic.

Anyways, in terms of match ups this weekend, the Army goalie could be difference maker. He is coming in with a .940 sv%. I know its AHA, but given they have a winning record this season and in prior years they have been towards the bottom of AHA, I think their recent success is in large part due to his play.
                        They're having a good year and should rightfully be considered dangerous... no mercy, no regrets
                        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                        Skating Friar Jersey
                        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                        Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Lowell has been remarkable in recent holiday tournaments going 10-1-1 since Norm took over. However, they are on a 1 game losing streak after Robert Morris last year.

Comment

From the Dartmouth Website:

WEEKEND SCHEDULE
                            Friday, December 30
                            4:05 PM
                            UMass Lowell (home team) vs. Colgate (visitors)
                            7:05 PM (or 55 minutes after ‘Gate/UML)
                            Dartmouth (home team) vs. Army West Point (visitors)

Saturday, December 31
                            4:05 PM
                            Army West Point (home team) vs. ‘Gate/UML (visitors)
                            7:05 PM (or 55 minutes after ‘Gate/UML)
                            Dartmouth (home team) vs. ‘Gate/UML (visitors)
                            Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
                            "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Any pub/restaurant recommendations for friday evening in Hanover?

Comment

Working...
                              X