D3 to D1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D3 to D1

Any insight on potential schools making the jump from D3 to D1 in the next few years?

Originally posted by DDad16 View Post
    Any insight on potential schools making the jump from D3 to D1 in the next few years?
    It's impossible now for a D3 school to make the jump to D1 without at least moving the entire athletic department up to D2 or D1. The only schools that I see that might potentially explore this route are the Franklin Pierce, Saint Anselm, Saint Michael's etc. that are all currently D2. They could play in the D1 championship if they choose, they just need to form together and create a conference with enough teams.

I don't see any current D3 schools moving up to D2 or D1 in the near future.
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
      It's impossible now for a D3 school to make the jump to D1 without at least moving the entire athletic department up to D2 or D1. The only schools that I see that might potentially explore this route are the Franklin Pierce, Saint Anselm, Saint Michael's etc. that are all currently D2. They could play in the D1 championship if they choose, they just need to form together and create a conference with enough teams.

I don't see any current D3 schools moving up to D2 or D1 in the near future.
      They have 7 (including Post) on the men's side. I think if they grab Holy Cross and Sacred Heart they can make a go (?) of it on the women's side.

EDIT: Yep: St. A, St. M, Franklin Pierce, Post, Holy Cross, Sacred Heart. That's 6 and it's an AQ into the women's National Collegiate Championship.
      Last edited by joecct; 12-27-2016, 09:52 AM.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Re: D3 to D1

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        They have 7 (including Post) on the men's side. I think if they grab Holy Cross and Sacred Heart they can make a go (?) of it on the women's side.

EDIT: Yep: St. A, St. M, Franklin Pierce, Post, Holy Cross, Sacred Heart. That's 6 and it's an AQ into the women's National Collegiate Championship.
        Ummm...what am I missing here?...that group is supposed to be a "D-1" Conf???

Comment

Originally posted by bearcat View Post
          Ummm...what am I missing here?...that group is supposed to be a "D-1" Conf???
          there is no D1 women's championship. It's technically the national collegiate championship which allows these D2 schools to play up and do that if they would like to.
          GO LAKERS!!!
          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
          Oswego State '09

Comment

there is no D1 women's championship. It's technically the national collegiate championship which allows these D2 schools to play up and do that if they would like to.
            Technically, they don't play up. The National Collegiate Championship is a combined D1 and D2 tournament.

Interestingly, womens D2 teams are allowed 18 scholarships. Men (D2 playing as D2) are 5
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

I guess my original question was geared toward the D2 schools that currently have Women's programs that are playing D3. Several of them can't compete at D3.

Comment

I guess my original question was geared toward the D2 schools that currently have Women's programs that are playing D3. Several of them can't compete at D3.
                I'm curious to see what the D2 schools do after this season when Saint Anselm, Saint Michael's and Franklin Pierce are no longer members of the NEHC.
                GO LAKERS!!!
                Oswego State '09

Comment

I'm curious to see what the D2 schools do after this season when Saint Anselm, Saint Michael's and Franklin Pierce are no longer members of the NEHC.
                  If it doesn't cause Title IX issues, I wouldn't be surprised to see them fold. Are they going to be able to put together a full schedule without a league schedule to fill most of it for them?
                  Steve
                  Penn State Class of '95
                  Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
                    If it doesn't cause Title IX issues, I wouldn't be surprised to see them fold. Are they going to be able to put together a full schedule without a league schedule to fill most of it for them?
                    6 teams = 20 game conference schedule. Plus there are some bottom end ECAC or HEA teams (these games count towards NCAA) that could be scheduled. They'll get close to 25, but won't make 30.

If they want to go that route.....
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      6 teams = 20 game conference schedule. Plus there are some bottom end ECAC or HEA teams (these games count towards NCAA) that could be scheduled. They'll get close to 25, but won't make 30.

If they want to go that route.....
                      I could see them easily filling out their schedule with non-conference games against D3 teams. Maybe not teams like Midd, Norwich, Platty, Elmira, but other D3 teams that will need to find non-conference games too.

Comment

Recently heard Post University going to D1 next season. Seems like a real stretch to me. I know sometimes box scores can be misleading, but I don't think so in this case. Word is also getting rid of all of their D and starting over as well. Seems odd since they are a new program and this had to be discussed when starting the program. Having said all of that, I take the source of information with a grain of salt. Wait, check that, a block of salt.

Anyone know otherwise?

Thanks!

Comment

Recently heard Post University going to D1 next season. Seems like a real stretch to me. I know sometimes box scores can be misleading, but I don't think so in this case. Word is also getting rid of all of their D and starting over as well. Seems odd since they are a new program and this had to be discussed when starting the program. Having said all of that, I take the source of information with a grain of salt. Wait, check that, a block of salt.

Anyone know otherwise?

Thanks!
                          Post is actually D1 already, starting this year
                          Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                          Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                          Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                            Post is actually D1 already, starting this year
                            Wow, what a joke! If that is actually the case, teams like Union, Brown, RIT, Maine, and Mankato need to get them on their schedules for a couple of games each year for the next few seasons. Two wins is two wins after all.

Comment

So their ENTIRELY D3 schedule is misleading??? And, the fact they have given up 100 goals and scored 4 in 11 games against D3 (and not all top D3) competition. Seems kind of odd we would call this a D1 program, technically or otherwise.

Comment

Working...
                              X