This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Commits & Recruiting: 2017 and Beyond

Following up on the Central Scouting recognition for HE recruits (and UNH's Sweeney), more honors by USA announcing their Junior A team

Congrats to all the eastern recruits who made the USA Junior A team.
    http://teamusa.usahockey.com/page/sh...534-u-s-roster

Jake Kucharski G Providence College
    Chase Blackmun D Umass Lowell
    Jack St. Ivany D Yale University
    Graham Lillibridge D Yale University
    Jack Drury F Harvard University
    Tyler Madden F Northeastern University
    Jack Dugan F Providence College
    Curtis Hall F Yale University
    Alex Steeves F University of Notre Dame
    Ryan Bischel G Clarkson University
    Last edited by NCAA watcher; 11-17-2017, 02:31 PM.
    The Souza record:
    15-16 10th place
    16-17 10th place
    17-18 11th place
    18-19 8th place
    19-20 9th place
    20-21 10th place
    21-22 9th place
    22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
      Following up on the Central Scouting recognition for HE recruits (and UNH's Sweeney), more honors by USA announcing their Junior A team

*Alex Steeves F University of Notre Dame
      * Bedford, NH
      Live Free or Die!!
      Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
        * Bedford, NH
        Sigh.
        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
          Sigh.
          Because he was born within a State's border he was supposed to pass up a top-10 College education?

There's a pecking order, and before we can take on those above us, we need to beat the teams below us. Save your sighs for Josh Prokop, Adam Dawe, Lynden Breen and other kids who should be in our wheelhouse.
          Last edited by NCAA watcher; 11-19-2017, 08:19 AM.
          The Souza record:
          15-16 10th place
          16-17 10th place
          17-18 11th place
          18-19 8th place
          19-20 9th place
          20-21 10th place
          21-22 9th place
          22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
            Because he was born within a State's border he was supposed to pass up a top-10 College education?

There's a pecking order, and before we can take on those above us, we need to beat the teams below us. Save your sighs for Josh Prokop, Adam Dawe, Lynden Breen and other kids who should be in our wheelhouse.

If this is a regression to the mean, one recruit in seven months means we really didn't get too much out of bubble, and selling the narrative of the "program on the upswing." Still looking for that starting goalie and the two scoring wingers for next year, and an impact recruit beyond Angus Crookshank. Will enough crumbs/decommits be found?
            Point taken. I just think we don't get those NH guys and it would be nice to see them skate for the U. Agree we have bigger fish to fry. Looking forward to seeing what Stewie may have come up with in his recent forays.
            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

I think the last time we got excited about a NH kid committing to UNH, it was probably Eddie Caron from PEA.

That didn't exactly turn out the way we hoped it would ...
              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                I think the last time we got excited about a NH kid committing to UNH, it was probably Eddie Caron from PEA.

That didn't exactly turn out the way we hoped it would ...
                No love for our goalkeep from Rochester?

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post

Alex Steeves F University of Notre Dame
                  2018 UNH commit Angus Crookshank has a chance to make the Canada West team for the World Junior A Championship.

UNH players who have played in the WJAC:

UNH Player / Year / Team / Medal / GP - Goals - Asst - Pts

Justin Fregona / 2015 / Canada West / Gold / 4 - 1 - 0 - 1

Marcus Vela / 2014 / Canada West / - / 4 - 0 - 2 - 2

Shane Eiserman/ 2013 / USA / Gold / 4 - 2 - 0 - 2

Grayson Downing / 2010 / Canada West / - / 5 - 2 - 2 - 4
                  / 2009 / Canada West / Silver / 5 - 0 - 0 - 0

Casey DeSmith / 2010 / USA / Gold / 2/3 / 1W / 0L / -

Nick Sorkin / 2009 / USA / Gold / 5 - 0 - 1 - 1

Greg Burke / 2008 / USA / Gold / 5 - 1 - 1 - 2

Blake Kessel / 2007 / USA / Bronze / 4 - 2 - 5 - 7

Damon Kipp / 2007 / Canada West / Gold / 5 - 0 - 2 - 2
                  2006 / Canada West / Gold / 4 - - -
                  The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Or Lee's Greg Burke, a high profile USA team tryout invitee. http://www.seacoastonline.com/articl...ORTS/806300338

The later in the season we get without a goalie, any chance we might actually be in on the top international NHL draft picks, Filip Larsson (Tri-City), or Zhutov (Green Bay)?
                    The Souza record:
                    15-16 10th place
                    16-17 10th place
                    17-18 11th place
                    18-19 8th place
                    19-20 9th place
                    20-21 10th place
                    21-22 9th place
                    22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                      Of course not. Nor our goalie from Bow. Nor our current NH goaltender. And Chuck never enjoyed Paul Thompson, either, I suppose...

Interesting theory, though - since Eddie Caron didn't work out no future NH recruits will either. I guess we're actually super fortunate that Bayruether, Young, Walsh, Dudek, Sanford, Steeves, Cosgrove, Beaudoin etc are all going elsewhere...

Watcher - you may be right about UNHs lot in recruiting right now, but it is entirely their own creation. UNH was awfully attractive for a long time despite its average academic reputation. Notre Dames elite status sure didn't do them much good under Poulin. The most important differences for both programs now - the sellers. A new salesman changes everything immediately...

It's one thing not to win any battles for NH kids, but UNHs NH strategy too often seems to mirror Ohio State's plans in Columbus. Or maybe it's just UNHs strategy on elite young kids no matter where they're from. Hard to tell...

https://theathletic.com/95646/2017/09/07/portzline-ohio-state-has-missed-out-on-columbus-boom-of-hockey-talent/

If NH doesn't work for them - there are three uncommitted 18 year old Europeans in the top-20 in USHL scoring right now. I'd take all three plus one of the Euro goalies and smash the glass ceiling at UNH...

Unfortunately, as I've said before - I don't think UNH is even looking for another goalie for next season. I would be shocked if they're not viewing Robinson as the starter. Clearly they feel comfortable with Clark's maintenance of the last seat on the bench...
                      Last edited by Dan; 11-19-2017, 01:33 PM.
                      Live Free or Die!!
                      Miami University '03

Comment

You don't have a starter next year who you deferred and then don't give any game action to his first 13 games. As much as I can predict anything about for UNH's recruiting strategy (very little), they must plan on a real established recruit falling to them. That's why I wondered about Larsson or Zhutov. I haven't looked to what other teams still need goalies next year, but I would think most are full. Chance that BU loses Oettinger and needs a filler until Commesso (sound familiar). Denver needs someone. Other than that, it looks like we must be one of the choices of these kids if they want to go the NCAA route and play right away.

Watcher - you may be right about UNHs lot in recruiting right now, but it is entirely their own creation. UNH was awfully attractive for a long time despite its average academic reputation. Notre Dames elite status sure didn't do them much good under Poulin. The most important differences for both programs now - the sellers. A new salesman changes everything immediately...
                        Not to repeat ourselves over and over, but when a program does something against the grain of almost every other program you have to wonder. (Notice that each other program with new hcs brings in about 10 immediate players who the newbie already had in his rolodex and could reach out to and say "I'm new, calling the shots, come be part of my ground floor.") It takes a long time to get the "In Belichik we trust" or "in Danny we trust" when he does something unusual. Not impressed by U.Conn and Brown's body of work? Let's hope those are Souza's Cleveland Brown period.

Sometimes doing something against conventional wisdom (passing on Barzal and Connor with your three first round picks) or spotting a hidden gem in Belesky, or wanting to bring in a glue character guy like Backes, or wanting to toughen up the defense by McQuaid and Kevan Miller really isn't "smartest guy in the room." It's just being stupid. (And yes, Don Sweeney is going to destroy the Bruins.)
                        Last edited by NCAA watcher; 11-19-2017, 01:37 PM.
                        The Souza record:
                        15-16 10th place
                        16-17 10th place
                        17-18 11th place
                        18-19 8th place
                        19-20 9th place
                        20-21 10th place
                        21-22 9th place
                        22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                          You don't have a starter next year who you deferred and then don't give any game action to his first 13 games. As much as I can predict anything about for UNH's recruiting strategy (very little), they must plan on a real established recruit falling to them. That's why I wondered about Larsson or Zhutov. I haven't looked to what other teams still need goalies next year, but I would think most are full. Chance that BU loses Oettinger and needs a filler until Commesso (sound familiar). Denver needs someone. Other than that, it looks like we must be one of the choices of these kids if they want to go the NCAA route and play right away.
                          I'd agree with you - im just not remotely sure that UNH feels the same. I think every game UNH plays this year is a 'must win' in their eyes being this is Umile's last season. Something that was exacerbated by the hot start and all the early HE games.

They're aren't playing anyone but Tirone in a conference game. Which leaves Colgate and CC as the only 'chances' so far to play a back-up and they were still undefeated at the time (not a good excuse, but one I imagine they'd use). If Robinson doesn't play during the upcoming non-conference stretch I may start to think they're thinking along the same lines you are. Midweek at RPI seems like the logical opportunity...

Otherwise, you could just as easily make the argument they deferred Robinson to get three years of starting out of him as opposed to two - and to avoid the three goalie log jam as much as possible (indicating they're at least OK with Clark riding the pine)...

I think most important are the holes you've pointed out up front - not just for next year but to make sure that as this SO class grows they are supported offensively. But if that's not providing a sense of urgency this late in the process I'm not sure the Robinson/Clark combo will either. You'd also have to take into account that of the uncommitted USHL goalies many are tall, fundamental, highly regarded Europeans. If UNH goes for a USHL goalie would it surprise you if it was Strauss Mann - CT native, smaller, athletic, USHL back up? Fits the mold...
                          Last edited by Dan; 11-19-2017, 02:03 PM.
                          Live Free or Die!!
                          Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                            No intention of denigrating DeSmith. Foster, Robinson, Burke, Thompson, et als ... but let's be fair, Caron was the guy who came with the biggest hype, and of course (sadly) he turned out to be a huge bust. And just before Caron, the biggest hue and cry about a NH kid who didn't matriculate at the U was Freddy Meyer, who committed to BU at around the time UNH was going to two straight FF's, and finished up his career at the pre-Agganis WBA when he could have been an integral part of two more FF-bound UNH teams. Ironically, one of the final games of Meyer's BU career - if not THE final game (don't recall of the top of my head if BU qualified for the NCAA's in 2003) - was losing in double OT at the then-Fleet Center to UNH in the HE Finals.

There were a lot of us at the time who felt Meyer could have been the player needed to push UNH over that final obstacle. We'll never know ... but whether it's Caron, Meyer, or a dozens of in-state kids who came or didn't come, suffice to say UNH has had a star-crossed history when it comes to in-state recruits, and their impact (or lack thereof) on the 'Cats' national fortunes. Which was my only point in raising Caron's name in the first place.
                            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                              No intention of denigrating DeSmith. Foster, Robinson, Burke, Thompson, et als ... but let's be fair, Caron was the guy who came with the biggest hype, and of course (sadly) he turned out to be a huge bust. And just before Caron, the biggest hue and cry about a NH kid who didn't matriculate at the U was Freddy Meyer, who committed to BU at around the time UNH was going to two straight FF's, and finished up his career at the pre-Agganis WBA when he could have been an integral part of two more FF-bound UNH teams. Ironically, one of the final games of Meyer's BU career - if not THE final game (don't recall of the top of my head if BU qualified for the NCAA's in 2003) - was losing in double OT at the then-Fleet Center to UNH in the HE Finals.

There were a lot of us at the time who felt Meyer could have been the player needed to push UNH over that final obstacle. We'll never know ... but whether it's Caron, Meyer, or a dozens of in-state kids who came or didn't come, suffice to say UNH has had a star-crossed history when it comes to in-state recruits, and their impact (or lack thereof) on the 'Cats' national fortunes. Which was my only point in raising Caron's name in the first place.
                              My point was that our goalkeep from Rochester was a more recent bust just before what would have been his senior season.

Agreed, UNH could have used Freddy Meyer on the blue line in 2002-2003, enspecially during first semester when Garrett Stafford sat on the pine for taking the wrong summer course at home in California.

Another beautiful thing about 2002-2003 was that UNH not only beat BU 1-0 at the Garden for the HEA championship, but we beat them again in Woostah, 3-0, to advance to Buffalo.
                              Last edited by Snively65; 11-20-2017, 07:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                                My point was that our goalkeep from Rochester was a more recent bust just before what would have been his senior season.

Agreed, UNH could have used Freddy Meyer on the blue line in 2002-2003, enspecially during first semester when Garrett Stafford sat on the pine for taking the wrong summer course at home in California.

Another beautiful thing about 2002-2003 was that UNH not only beat BU 1-0 at the Garden for the HEA championship, but we beat them again in Woostah, 3-0, to advance to Buffalo.
                                CDS a bust? I thought he had some stellar numbers? Or are you thinking of what led to his dismissal (and we aren't going there, at least, I'm not) Maybe I'm not reading you right (too early in the morning..)
                                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Working...
                                X