Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2016-17 Vol II -- We Do Have a Hockey Season Here!?!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2016-17 Vol II -- We Do Have a Hockey Season Here!?!

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
    ...they seem to be an example of talented individual parts that have not meshed. Not sure how many first round picks they have but you would think after being together for the better part of five months that they will be a bit more fine tuned than they are. Their performance against Lowell and the, more notably, their no show in the Beanpot final should send up red flags to the BU faithful.
    Oh, trust me, they HAVE raised red flags; hence, the criticism. But that's more of an "internal" thing based on expectations of fans who follow the team year after year. But outside the "inner circle," most people think we're crazy and would love to root for a team that is one of only seven in the country to have 20 wins. So it's all relative. Most people don't really want to hear us complain. So although we may feel as though they have underachieved, that's not the same as being "not very good."

Of course, all of this will be resolved in the very near future.

Comment

Just to get us back on page 1...Listened to the 'coaches show' the other night and they had Mike Souza on. He talked about this up coming weekend and his past with UConn. Felt if the 'Cats didn't get home ice they would deal with it and prepare for what comes. Can't remember where we were predicted to be in the HE at the start of this season, 10th was it? Remembering last year's UConn series makes me cringe but somehow I'm not that uptight about it this season. (that could all change next Sunday...) Am hopeful, tho, we can put together 2 decent efforts. While most think UConn is a push over I surely don't feel that way; decent forwards in Tage, Leturnov (sp). 60 minutes boys...60 minutes. Anyway...hard to believe we are at this point in the season already! e.cat will you be making an appearance??? Haven't seen ya in awhile!! Go 'Cats!
      Last edited by HockeyRef; 02-22-2017, 05:33 AM.
      I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
        Just to get us back on page 1...Listened to the 'coaches show' the other night and they had Mike Souza on. He talked about this up coming weekend and his past with UConn. Felt if the 'Cats didn't get home ice they would deal with it and prepare for what comes. Can't remember where we were predicted to be in the HE at the start of this season, 10th was it? Remembering last year's UConn series makes me cringe but somehow I'm not that uptight about it this season. (that could all change next Sunday...) Am hopeful, tho, we can put together 2 decent efforts. While most think UConn is a push over I surely don't feel that way; decent forwards in Tage, Leturnov (sp). 60 minutes boys...60 minutes. Anyway...hard to believe we are at this point in the season already! e.cat will you be making an appearance??? Haven't seen ya in awhile!! Go 'Cats!
        Not sure if I can make it down Friday but I'll be there in spirit if not. Tax season is a busy time for me.

Looks like UNHWhoops are carrying the mantle at the moment. Go Wildcats!
        UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
          Just to get us back on page 1...Listened to the 'coaches show' the other night and they had Mike Souza on.
          Guess Mike's boss can't even be bothered with his own (weekly) show these days ...
          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
            Guess Mike's boss can't even be bothered with his own (weekly) show these days ...
            Actually he has been on for most of them that I've listened to; one week got snowed out. Usually they have one of the players on as well...this week was Mike McNick. Only one more for the season next Monday. They happen at Buffalo Wild Wings in Portsmouth.
            I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Interfered with a good episode of Matlock. Maybe he's trying to be generous with handing off some media responsibilities.
              Nice to hear someone represent the University who doesn't sound like he's just eaten a carton of marbles.

I know its a balance between recruiting and current team, but I'd love to hear an emphasis on bringing new talent in. When asked, Mike said his allegiance is to the current players. Did he say he brings recruits by Mike Murphy's office or did I misunderstand that?

Between Mike saying he's doing campus tours, and Deltabravo saying he's seen Stewart and Mike do this the past couple of weeks, I can conclude none were blown away and committed on the spot Can we please give him a recruiting assistant who knows how to close the deal with a bit of a harder sell? Not Calipari/Walshie like, but if Mike is inclined not to be superlative about his vision for the program, maybe they need someone who can articulate that for the recruits who are somewhat interested in a nice community, but also interested in a coach driven to return to top 4 HE status. Less the "aw shucks, everyone here is really nice" and more "the roster will turn over the next two years, and I need a foundation to be back in top 4 by 3 years. You're part of that!"
              Last edited by NCAA watcher; 02-22-2017, 02:20 PM.
              The Souza record:
              15-16 10th place
              16-17 10th place
              17-18 11th place
              18-19 8th place
              19-20 9th place
              20-21 10th place
              21-22 9th place
              22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                Between Mike saying he's doing campus tours, and Deltabravo saying he's seen Stewart and Mike do this the past couple of weeks, I can conclude none were blown away and committed on the spot Can we please give him a recruiting assistant who knows how to close the deal with a bit of a harder sell? Not Calipari/Walshie like ...
                Heck, I'd take Walshy-like so long as it didn't involve the retroactive financial aid and grade rigging.

One of the by-products of Coach Umile's "long goodbye" is it handcuffs Souza for another year of just him and Stewart chasing all the recruiting. And if they're not setting the recruiting world on fire, yeah, that 3rd guy could be a difference-maker. Problem is, right now the 3rd guy is more interested in a friendly game of darts at The Coat than he is in finding the next Sean Collins or Steve Saviano two towns over from his hometown. Sadly, this is likely the way it's going to be for another year, unless the rest of the UNH season proves to be as catastrophic as their 3rd period was last Saturday night.
                Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Years back this was the weekend, well actually next weekend, that we whupped up on Merrimack for two nights and MC went hacker goon on us in the final period of the second game(s). The biggest concern was not having a player suspended for fighting the following week at the Garden. Different path these days.

* Edit: I am WAY ahead of myself. This is not a playoff weekend. Seems like it though. Anyway, we are back on page one. *

Go 'cats!
                  Last edited by Darius; 02-24-2017, 12:08 PM.
                  I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Unfortunately Chuck, I believe UNH is the cupcake. The decline has been hard to watch, a bit tormenting really. Dick, please do us all a favor and take your final bow, your time has passed.
                    GO BLUE!

Comment

Originally posted by d.gerry View Post
                      Unfortunately Chuck, I believe UNH is the cupcake. The decline has been hard to watch, a bit tormenting really. Dick, please do us all a favor and take your final bow, your time has passed.
                      I am including this post from the BC thread...

Originally posted by defkit View Post
                      Reading these recent posts is like going into a time machine and gaping back 5-8 years for BU fans. The reality is that eventually, age becomes an issue. The ability of a coach in his 70's (or whatever) to relate to what is going on in the lives of these kids, versus a mid-40s coach is significant. The Quinn/Cavanaugh era of coaches either have kids or are around kids that are similar in age to these players. Parker, York, may have grandkids of that age, but it isn't the same. Parker even admitted that he couldn't relate to these kids. Maybe the same is happening with York.
                      Not to be an "intruder," but I thought this was an interesting perspective. If you think about it, everyone goes through this eventually. The same discussions were carried on, for example, in the Michigan thread (regarding Red Berenson) and the BU thread (as mentioned). Currently the same discussion is happening on the BC thread regarding York. I know it sounds trite, but it's true that "Nothing lasts forever." But that doesn't make it any less agonizing. I'm not taking sides or defending anyone...just expressing that it's easy to tell someone what to do. All of this talk has actually made me think about what is going to happen when it is time for "me" to retire. Who evaluates when I can no longer do my job "effectively?"

Some people get it right. David Ortiz is one that comes to mind. He went out without his skills having declined hardly at all. But many others don't. For you old timers, Willie Mays is Exhibit A. Sad is the only word that could be used to describe the way his career ended. The talk had even started with Brady (until this latest Super Bowl win sort of squelched it for awhile - but you can bet at the first sign of "decline" it will be back in full force).

My opinion is this: Every program will have to suffer through this transition. Frankly, BU won in 2009 because of outstanding senior leadership who pushed them to overachieve. And they had a little luck (2 goals in the last 57 seconds against a Miami team that had thoroughly outplayed them most of the game). If you put it in perspective, BU had only been to ONE Frozen Four since 1978 (1995 win against Maine) up until 2009. Maine is going through this now with Red Gendron, and before that with Whitehead. It's a difficult thing to experience success and then have a precipitous decline.

As someone who has two family members that have graduated from UNH, they tend to be the "other" team that I pay attention to besides my alma mater. We would all love to see the return of the "old days." I'm not asking for compassion. I get it. But is my opinion different than it would have been if I were a lot younger? Probably. I'm just saying I can see both sides. Either way, it's a part of life that we all have to deal with at some point, and it's not fun.

Comment

I think what is even more discouraging is once the rebuilding, next era, or whatever you want to call it actually begins we are most likely looking at another 4 to 5 years of mediocrity before UNH can think of becoming competitive again (by that I mean a top 3 or 4 team in Hockey East). This assumes Souza is the real deal and can actually bring the Cats to the promised land. If not, well then, who the hell knows how long, a decade or more?
                        GO BLUE!

Comment

Originally posted by d.gerry View Post
                          I think what is even more discouraging is once the rebuilding, next era, or whatever you want to call it actually begins we are most likely looking at another 4 to 5 years of mediocrity before UNH can think of becoming competitive again (by that I mean a top 3 or 4 team in Hockey East). This assumes Souza is the real deal and can actually bring the Cats to the promised land. If not, well then, who the hell knows how long, a decade or more?
                          On the other hand, he could be a Bazin and turn it around quickly and decisively. You just never know...

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                            On the other hand, you could get a Bazin and turn it around quickly and decisively. You just never know...
                            Bazin is not leaving Lowell for UNH
                            BS UMass Lowell 2015
                            PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
                              Bazin is not leaving Lowell for UNH
                              Not what I meant. I said "a Bazin" - not "Bazin." Meaning someone like him...

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                                Not what I meant. I said "a Bazin" - not "Bazin." Meaning someone like him...
                                You mean like someone with four years as an assistant in HE at Lowell (96-00), then nine years as the lead recruiter at Colorado College for a team that made the NCAA tourney six times during that stretch (2000-2008), then several years as a succesful HC at DIII Hamilton?
                                The Souza record:
                                15-16 10th place
                                16-17 10th place
                                17-18 11th place
                                18-19 8th place
                                19-20 9th place
                                20-21 10th place
                                21-22 9th place
                                22-23 10th place

Comment

Working...
                                X