Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2016-17 Vol II -- We Do Have a Hockey Season Here!?!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2016-17 Vol II -- We Do Have a Hockey Season Here!?!

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
    So if I have this right we need to win, or tie (at least)tonight and have NU, UConn and 'Mack to lose tonight to have a decent shot at 8th going into next weeks reg. season finale? Despite the fact we couldn't hold on to win the game last night we showed we can come to play. Hard to be in this spot (again) and the thought of being on the road in these playoffs is not something I want to put myself through (again) after last year!!

I recognize where we are at but really would love to see for their sake something great happen for a change...(I saw Mike Eruzione in the BU lobby last night and thought 'yeah, we could use a Miracle On Ice" right about now haha) I have read that awesome thread about the HE playoff possibilities but for me...it's like reading a word problem in math!! Tonight's results will pretty much tell us where we are most likely going to be...
    I don't see it that way at all.

First of all, Northeastern and UConn are playing each other tonight. So hoping for both to lose is a tall order.

I think regardless of what happens to UNH this evening, and even if they end the night in 9th place, they will in all likelihood finish 7th. (And host UConn. Ugh. I would rather watch paint dry.)

Realistically, UNH is competing with NU and MC for the last two home ice spots in the phony round of the playoffs. UNH holds the tiebreaker over both, so all they would need to do is draw even in the standings with one or both. Those two are each on the road next weekend, at Maine and Vermont respectively, while UNH has the equivalent of two exhibition games. Assuming the 'Cats take care of business, NU would likely have to sweep Maine to finish ahead of UNH, while MC will also need points at Vermont. I think a lot would have to happen to keep UNH on the road the following week.

Personally, I find a UNH-UConn preliminary round series to be totally non compelling, but I'm probably in the minority. However it would do wonders for The Quest (not to steal Chuck's thunder.)
    Last edited by Felger; 02-18-2017, 04:52 PM.
    UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

• Originally posted by Felger View Post
      I don't see it that way at all.

First of all, Northeastern and UConn are playing each other tonight. So hoping for both to lose is a tall order.

I think regardless of what happens to UNH this evening, and even if they end the night in 9th place, they will in all likelihood finish 7th. (And host UConn. Ugh. I would rather watch paint dry.)

Realistically, UNH is competing with NU and MC for the lat two home ice spots in the phony round of the playoffs. UNH holds the tiebreaker over both, so all they would need to do is draw even in the standings with one or both. Those two are each on the road next weekend, at Maine and Vermont respectively, while UNH has the equivalent of two exhibition games. Assuming the 'Cats take care of business, NU would likely have to sweep Maine to finish ahead of UNH, while MC will also need points at Vermont. I think a lot would have to happen to keep UNH on the road the following week.

Personally, I find a UNH-UConn preliminary round series to be totally non compelling, but I'm probably in the minority. However it would do wonders for The Quest (not to steal Chuck's thunder.)
      Appreciate the analysis that is what I was looking for thanks!!
      I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Originally posted by deltabravo62 View Post
        Sorry HR, but when 3/4 goals go right between his legs you will not hear too many praises coming from me. He can make some eally good saves then gack it all up by letting the squeaker go right through the pads.

The fact of the matter is that the team packed it in after they got up 2-0 and then 4-2. This team doesn't have the talent to sit on a two goal lead.
        Yeah I get it we let them get back in the game and agree on those goals...esp the one at the start of the third. Tirone might not be so fortunate if BU takes it to us right off if we have a slow start. I know the SOG thing in this board is a sore subject but somehow we still eked out the tie...

Comment

Marcus Vela not in the line up; he went off injured in the third?

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
            Saw him go off last night, not in warm-ups tonight

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
              Maybe UNH caught him on a bad night ... but last night, Oettinger was Exhibit A for my previous rants. Kid played with all the athleticism of a curbstone.
              I won't dispute your "athleticism" comments; let me just say, as someone who has seen every game, that without him BU is probably in fifth place in Hockey East. Look at BU's "Goals Scored" statistic...then look at the "Goals Against" (which leads Hockey East).

Comment

Appreciate the analysis that is what I was looking for thanks!!
                If UNH loses tonight, they better hope MC and NI do as well. If those teams win, UNH is a long shot to get home ice. I certainly wouldn't count on a UNH sweep next weekend, which is essentially what they would need with MC and NU playing at UVM and ME.

Even with a UNH sweep next weekend, MC would need only to split with UVM to secure home ice. NU at ME sounds like an NU sweep to me...

It would t be out of the question to take home ice back next weekend, but tonight is absolutely CRITICAL in the race to play one more weekend at the Whitt.

I'd be very surprised if MC loses tonight. NU losing is more realistic, but they're likely a favorite...
                Live Free or Die!!
                Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by chickod View Post
                  I won't dispute your "athleticism" comments; let me just say, as someone who has seen every game, that without him BU is probably in fifth place in Hockey East. Look at BU's "Goals Scored" statistic...then look at the "Goals Against" (which leads Hockey East).
                  Personally, I'd rather UNH wins games with an unathletic goalie than lose on five-hole goals from the blue line while I pat myself on the back because my team is doing it like they did in the 80's. Must be hard to even enjoy the wins as a BC, BU or ND fan knowing you're only doing it because you have goalies who keep pucks out of the net...
                  Live Free or Die!!
                  Miami University '03

Comment

Saw Vela with a boot on. Eisnerman 2 weeks before he can skate, round 2 if they make it

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                      If UNH loses tonight, they better hope MC and NI do as well. If those teams win, UNH is a long shot to get home ice. I certainly wouldn't count on a UNH sweep next weekend, which is essentially what they would need with MC and NU playing at UVM and ME.

Even with a UNH sweep next weekend, MC would need only to split with UVM to secure home ice. NU at ME sounds like an NU sweep to me...

It would t be out of the question to take home ice back next weekend, but tonight is absolutely CRITICAL in the race to play one more weekend at the Whitt.

I'd be very surprised if MC loses tonight. NU losing is more realistic, but they're likely a favorite...
                      My thoughts are based on a UNH sweep next weekend. If they can't beat UConn twice, they don't deserve home ice.

Should UNH lose tonight and drop to 9th, they would only need to catch one of NU or MC to get home ice. I still think its likely they would catch both and finish 7th.

Of course the 'Cats can make this whole discussion academic with a W....
                      UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                        Personally, I'd rather UNH wins games with an unathletic goalie than lose on five-hole goals from the blue line while I pat myself on the back because my team is doing it like they did in the 80's. Must be hard to even enjoy the wins as a BC, BU or ND fan knowing you're only doing it because you have goalies who keep pucks out of the net...
                        Personally I think the cause of the late season slide is the pep band. Again this week with the anthem. Haven't won a game since they took over anthem duty

Comment

That setup pass was pretty
                          BS UMass Lowell 2015
                          PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

Looks like Kelleher's officially gotten his second wind to finish up the HE regular season.

Fun Fact: Tyler Kelleher has already surpassed last year's UNH leading scorer, with at least 4+ games left in the season. And he's done it with a pair of primary linemates who combined last season for a total of seven (7) goals and nine (9) assists. Pretty darned impressive.

Not sure if he's the frontrunner, but one would think he's a good shout to be part of the "Hobey Hat Trick".
                            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Felger View Post
                              My thoughts are based on a UNH sweep next weekend. If they can't beat UConn twice, they don't deserve home ice.

Should UNH lose tonight and drop to 9th, they would only need to catch one of NU or MC to get home ice. I still think its likely they would catch both and finish 7th.

Of course the 'Cats can make this whole discussion academic with a W....
                              I couldn't agree more with your first point - guess I just don't have as much faith in this team to take care of business. Bad teams drop games they should win - see UNH last night.

I have even less faith in ME managing even a point against an NU team with something to play for.

I also think home ice is the difference between advancing past the first round for this team. Just like it was last season. So let's hope they grab the eighth spot one way or another.
                              Live Free or Die!!
                              Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                                UNH already has one of those. I think he was last seen out there when ASFU laid waste to UNH this past Fall ...
                                Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                                Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Working...
                                X