Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2016-17 Vol II -- We Do Have a Hockey Season Here!?!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2016-17 Vol II -- We Do Have a Hockey Season Here!?!

Is it a late season slide if you've been sliding all year? Or two years?
    The Souza record:
    15-16 10th place
    16-17 10th place
    17-18 11th place
    18-19 8th place
    19-20 9th place
    20-21 10th place
    21-22 9th place
    22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
      Is it a late season slide if you've been sliding all year? Or two years?
      ... or a dozen or so years, give or take? Right now, I think it's just a delayed reality check, frankly.

You all remember what I said about what it means when you look at a schedule, and don't see any cupcakes on it?

As to Lemonade's point ... there's no way Coach can be brought back next season if they need to win in the high teens to get him to the next round number. We're at 18 and counting, with 11 wins this year (so far) and 11 all of last season too. This was not supposed to be such a close call. If Coach can't find at least 3 wins between now and the end of the season, The Quest is in deep trouble, and if so ... he may not get the chance next season to finish up on his terms. I suspect he gets there - one win out of the next four, then one out of the two vs. UConn, and at least one more in the MBPBEGAM playoffs (and if they advance, that would be two plus a chance to win another one or two in the HE QF's). 14 or 15 W's this season, and I think he's got the green light to finish on his terms (and I'm betting they get there, somehow). Anything short of that, though, and all bets are off ... JMHO.
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
        ... or a dozen or so years, give or take? Right now, I think it's just a delayed reality check, frankly.

You all remember what I said about what it means when you look at a schedule, and don't see any cupcakes on it?

As to Lemonade's point ... there's no way Coach can be brought back next season if they need to win in the high teens to get him to the next round number. We're at 18 and counting, with 11 wins this year (so far) and 11 all of last season too. This was not supposed to be such a close call. If Coach can't find at least 3 wins between now and the end of the season, The Quest is in deep trouble, and if so ... he may not get the chance next season to finish up on his terms. I suspect he gets there - one win out of the next four, then one out of the two vs. UConn, and at least one more in the MBPBEGAM playoffs (and if they advance, that would be two plus a chance to win another one or two in the HE QF's). 14 or 15 W's this season, and I think he's got the green light to finish on his terms (and I'm betting they get there, somehow). Anything short of that, though, and all bets are off ... JMHO.
        ...and of course that would mean buying him out of his contract can UNH even afford to do that?!?
        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
          Harsh but funny, on both counts. Too bad WIS doesn't have video edit capabilities for YouTube.
          IF you were going to edit any video, I vote for that television commercial DU and Shawn Walsh did together...guessing you could have a field day with that material.
          UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
            ...and of course that would mean buying him out of his contract can UNH even afford to do that?!?
            There's only one year left on his deal. Not to mention, I'm guessing Souza will get paid much less to start.

IF there was ever going to be a time they could buy Umile out, it would be during this offseason.

For the record ... I don't want this to happen. But if this is another 11 or 12 win season ...

Comment

There's only one year left on his deal. Not to mention, I'm guessing Souza will get paid much less to start.

IF there was ever going to be a time they could buy Umile out, it would be during this offseason.

For the record ... I don't want this to happen. But if this is another 11 or 12 win season ...
              Be careful what you wish for
              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

I'm not sure what people were expecting over the last six weeks of the season. This is a team that lost to Bentley, Arizona State and CC. Could anyone really expect that they were going to beat teams like BC, Lowell and Providence, never mind UVM and BU to come. Weak goalie, porous defense, forwards with limited ability. Hard combo to overcome.

As for Umile, people who think he's going to be bought out are dreaming. He has a deal with UNH and both sides will live up to it, fans or the program be ****ed. Well maybe if they get another unrestricted donation from a research librarian who had an epiphany for beleaguered hockey coaches late in life maybe then there could be a buyout.

Comment

We interrupt this thread to bring you a very important message....PATRIOTS BABY!!!!!
                  Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                    As for Umile, people who think he's going to be bought out are dreaming. He has a deal with UNH and both sides will live up to it, fans or the program be ****ed.
                    I've always tended to agree with this ... even if the latter highlighted bit is the price we as fans have to pay.

But if it's about getting to the next round number - which it is - and there's no realistic shot at it ... awkward ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                      I've always tended to agree with this ... even if the latter highlighted bit is the price we as fans have to pay.

But if it's about getting to the next round number - which it is - and there's no realistic shot at it ... awkward ...
                      I honestly think Umile will leave at the end of this season on his own terms....

Comment

Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
                        I honestly think Umile will leave at the end of this season on his own terms....
                        I tend to agree. 600 is a stretch and he could just say, "hey time to pass the.....fill in the blank.
                        On another page, we all comment that he is/was the highest paid state employee. Do you think his 240,000 +/- would attract a name coach? What do other top schools pay? Would we have trusted an up and coming. I'm not sure. Hopefully the 3rd slot will come from outside the family, we need another perspective, and hopefully they have a better handle on coaching the D.

Comment

Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
                          I tend to agree. 600 is a stretch and he could just say, "hey time to pass the.....fill in the blank.
                          On another page, we all comment that he is/was the highest paid state employee. Do you think his 240,000 +/- would attract a name coach? What do other top schools pay? Would we have trusted an up and coming. I'm not sure. Hopefully the 3rd slot will come from outside the family, we need another perspective, and hopefully they have a better handle on coaching the D.
                          You are aware that Mike Souza has been named as the next HC right? There isn't going to be nationwide search, at least, that's how it's been put out there. As per the next associate head coach, or assistant head coach, a defensive minded person seems to be in order. And who knows what Stewie is going to do...all pure speculation at this point.
                          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
                            Souza is HC in waiting. They need to bring in an associate coach that can recruit with a defensive background. I am sure they know who they want. Assistants handle most of the recruiting so its an important role. In terms of salary - Jerry York makes $576K per year at BC which is less than supposed salary of Quinn at BU to give you a ballpark.

Comment

On the recruiting side of things. Good to see both Souza and Stewart with recruits each of the last 3 weekends either at the Whit or walking around Durham before the games. Whether any of this translates to some upcoming commitments remains to be seen but at least they are getting kids on campus.

Comment

From the Union Leader:

http://www.unionleader.com/article/2...94/-1/sports22
                                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Working...
                                X