Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2016-17 Vol II -- We Do Have a Hockey Season Here!?!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2016-17 Vol II -- We Do Have a Hockey Season Here!?!

Originally posted by norbert View Post
    I have seen the 2nd half slides for many years now but this is beyond any of those. This is as brutal a stretch as I have ever seen. Tirone looks completely lost. Either he is out of position (If coaches are reading this ...
    MS: Hey boss - I was checking out the site this morning. Got something you might wanna see ...

DU: Did the spread for the game tonight tighten up, Mikey?

MS: No, no, not that, boss ... more important. Lookie here ...

DU: (squinting) ... hmmm ... hey, maybe da guy has a point. Get what's his name to check the tape.

MS: You mean Glenn?

DU: Yeah, yeah, Glenn. He's gotta do sometin' around heah sometimes to eahn his keep, y'know?

MS: (rolling eyes) Yeah, sure boss. Hey Glenn (shouting down the hall) ... take a look at this.

GS: (just entering the facility) OK sorry, a little late with the coffee and donuts. Long line ...

MS: No one cares, Glenn. Just bring Coach his Starbucks, and then we gotta check some video.

Glenn ambles down the corridor to Coach's office, drops off the boss' coffee and butternut donut, while Coach tips him and thanks him for his time, then turns off the light in his office for a little much-needed shuteye. The overlooked assistant wanders back down to meet with his colleague, who is already buried on the game tape from the previous evening's debacle ...

MS: No kidding ... wow ... the guy has a point. You seeing what I'm seeing, Stewie?

GS: Well, kinda. The defense is a mess, that's all I can say for sure, eh? Not like I've ever played the position.

MS: Me neither. Hey ... let's see what Buck thinks about this. You see if you can get him, and I'll tell Coach.

GS: Roger that. (sighs as he turns away) how come he can't get Buck, and I can't wake Coach up?

As the successor-in-waiting steps away to roust his legendary boss from his nap, Glenn tries to ring up the goalie coach for an emergency session with their now-wayward starting netminder. The season is now slipping away, and the need for a return to form is urgent. But getting ahold of the in-demand goalie coach is proving a little challenging. E-mails and texts have gone unanswered, so the next step ...

GS: (calling his cell, getting a message) "This is Buck. I'm not available to take your call right now, but if you leave ... "

Glenn reports back to his colleague-for-now/future boss sooner than you might expect, and reports on the quandary ...

GS: Mike, Buck isn't answering. I've left messages all over the place ...

MS: I'll get him. (under his breath) if you wanna do something right around here you gotta do it yourself

DU: (snapping out of another catnap) ... youze guys havin' trouble gettin' Dave on the line?

MS: Coach, Dave's not here anymore, remember? Budget cutting, we outsourced our goalie coaching?

DU: Oh yeah, yeah, fohgot about that. Frickin' Mahty and his *genius* budget bullcrap.

MS: Just got a message from Buck, guys. Seems like he's on the road for the Pens working with their minor league guys. Asked him to Skype us ASAP, says he can clear some time in an hour or so.

GS: Has he seen the video yet?

DU: What the F is being skiped??? Charlie never told me anything about that ...

MS: (finds comfy chair for his boss) Don't worry, Chief, we got you covered on this. 600 is in the bag.

DU: But I got my Sunday cahds game with the boys over at the country club soon ...

MS: Don't you worry - we got this, boss. Everything is gonna be fine. Glenn, get Danny down here pronto.

So the legendary coach, having finished up a tough morning of coffee, donuts, video and nappy-time, takes his leave. In the meantime, somewhere in the wilds of Pennsylvania on Interstate 80, an SUV pulls off the highway to download some urgent video from a client. He shakes his head, checks his watch, and dials up the needy client ...

MS: Hey Buck - thanks for getting back on this, man. You are the best.

MB: I know, hey I'm busy though, got maybe 5-10 minutes. You got everyone in place?

GS: (re-entering, dragging a young goalie into the room by his ear) Everyone present and accounted for.

MB: Danny and Adam?

MS: No Buck - just Danny. Adam can't make it. Something about studying ...

MB: Whatevah. No need for formalities. Danny - your mechanics are a mess. What's up?

DT: (annoyed) I was doing pretty well I thought, until this past weekend. Just had a bad one ...

MB: You kneeling in front of the goal, filling up the net like I taught you to?

DT: well ...

GS: (smacks the goalie upside his head) ANSWER THE MAN, DAMMIT!!

Suddenly, the Skype connection goes out, and the two coaches and their shell-shocked goalie are left very much alone. Minutes later, a text message arrives on Glenn's phone ...

MB: "Sorry but I'm on the road this week between Wilkes-Barre, Pittsburgh, Wheeling, and the Heinz Select 57's on assignment. Leave a message and I'll try to fit you into my uber-busy schedule. Ta-ta for now, and thank you for your continued generous support of GDS".

The coaches sigh. The goalie flinches. Coach pulls into his designated parking space at the country club.

Yup, everything is right with the world at UNH Men's Hockey. Another day in paradise ...
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Beat. Down.

In the arena early for some funky jazz while drinking Cold Snap and Cream Stout. Watching warm ups it was clear we were either going to score or surrender a lot of goals. The team put most everything past DT who looked frustrated, so most likely the latter. It was.

The night after BC hopefully translates to playing with a get out of jail free card. Not last night. First intermission Cold Snap replenishment. Good call. We clearly spent our emotional capital on Friday. We could easily have trailed by more after the second period, it didn't take long in the third.

The second line was invisible. Box score = NO SOG! UML's sixth goal pretty much summed up the evening.
      I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Really, Chuck? I get the humor, but really?

On Friday Coach was very engaged with the players on the bench and last night no one was talking while exiting the post game ice except Stewart and Souza who were chatting all the way across the ice from the bench to the exit.

Comment

Can anyone with recruiting history knowledge tell me who TK thought his Senior year teammates might be at the time he committed to UNH? Pots, Foegele, the ones that got away? He may not have the character to wear a letter on his sweater, but from here out he gets a pass from me. Six SOG last night with UML keying on him. > 1 point per game in his career with the cards he was dealt. Shame.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
            Can anyone with recruiting history knowledge tell me who TK thought his Senior year teammates might be at the time he committed to UNH? Pots, Foegele, the ones that got away? He may not have the character to wear a letter on his sweater, but from here out he gets a pass from me. Six SOG last night with UML keying on him. > 1 point per game in his career with the cards he was dealt. Shame.
            I always assumed he figured Vecchione would be here but I may have the timeline wrong.
            UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
              Really, Chuck? I get the humor, but really?

On Friday Coach was very engaged with the players on the bench and last night no one was talking while exiting the post game ice except Stewart and Souza who were chatting all the way across the ice from the bench to the exit.
              I've had a few "woooosssshhhh" moments recently ... so far be it for me to point yours out too harshly.

Comment

And to back up to Friday night for a second, I really wish Calnan would have earned a suspension for his hit. Just because I think its funny that he does that tv ad where he says "There are no nights off in Hockey East." Then they could have edited it to add "unless you target another guy's head and the league sits your butt down for a game."

Of course #2 for UNH also spouts the same line, and after his team's performance last evening, perhaps they need to edit that portion as well.
                UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Originally posted by chuck murray View Post
                  i've had a few "woooosssshhhh" moments recently ... So far be it for me to point yours out too harshly.
                  Last edited by Darius; 02-05-2017, 10:25 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
                    Yes...those are the ones. I think of how things could've been different a lot lately if they had stayed. And TyK quietly slips into the 20th spot if I have my numbers right...I'm with you. I got no complaints where he is concerned but I think you already knew that....And yes, it's a shame...
                    Last edited by HockeyRef; 02-05-2017, 11:10 AM.
                    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Felger View Post
                      I really wish Calnan would have earned a suspension for his hit. Just because I think its funny that he does that tv ad where he says "There are no nights off in Hockey East." Then they could have edited it to add "unless you target another guy's head and the league sits your butt down for a game."

Of course #2 for UNH also spouts the same line, and after his team's performance last evening, perhaps they need to edit that portion as well.
                      Harsh but funny, on both counts. Too bad WIS doesn't have video edit capabilities for YouTube.

Comment

Interesting question as to who TyKe expected to play with. Pots And Foegle would not have committed yet. Vechionne would have said he was a year ahead, but that's a good three year overlap. TVR for the same three if he didn't leave early. Pesce was the same class, but who committed first? Or was TVR a year earlier? Time flies . . . He knew Eiserman from national team, yes? Anyone else of quality (projected) that he could have expected to share ice with?
                        Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                          Harsh but funny, on both counts. Too bad WIS doesn't have video edit capabilities for YouTube.
                          I shudder to think what WIS would come up with, Bahahahaha..... Might be worth the price of admission tho...
                          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Aerman View Post
                            Interesting question as to who TyKe expected to play with. Pots And Foegle would not have committed yet. Vechionne would have said he was a year ahead, but that's a good three year overlap. TVR for the same three if he didn't leave early. Pesce was the same class, but who committed first? Or was TVR a year earlier? Time flies . . . He knew Eiserman from national team, yes? Anyone else of quality (projected) that he could have expected to share ice with?
                            Are you referring to when he (TyK) committed and who committed along with him? Maybe Mike (C-H-C) would have a handle on that. You'd have to dig in his blog to find that answer? I'd agree on your Eiserman point. Deltrabravo62 also seems to have a sense of who came when to UNH as well. All I know is IF TvR had stayed he would've graduated in '15 along with Willows, etc. Pesce, last year I believe if I have my facts straight. Besides Vech I'm curious just for kicks as to who else would've skated with Kelleher but didn't make it to the U.
                            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher
                              Borek's vision, as reported by USHR.
                              I know Kalinowski's fate but what was the story on Masters? Refresh my memory on this one...if you want that is. I know he eventually landed at ASU.
                              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

A possible last season slide may be what it takes for a change at the top. UNH needs a shot in the arm let's face it.

Comment

Working...
                                X