Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2016-17 Vol II -- We Do Have a Hockey Season Here!?!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2016-17 Vol II -- We Do Have a Hockey Season Here!?!

Originally posted by deltabravo62 View Post
    Adding to Nifty16, I also saw Boyd with the inactive guys. I wonder if he is medical redshirt eligible this season with whatever issues he is having and that is why he is not being considered an "inactive player" for the purposes of the game day roster. I think 11 games is a stretch for a medical redshirt but I guess we will see what that is all about in due time.
    I think you're right, a medical redshirt is going to be a stretch with the amount of action he's seen to date. I always use the Tommy Nolan situation back in the "season on the road" of '94/'95 between Snively and The Whitt for comparisons, and I recall a lot of discussion (pre-Internet!) on how narrowly he qualified for his medical RS having played all of four (4) games. It would be interesting to see examples of any D-1 hockey players who played longer than that and still got the medical RS. I can't think of any, but these days I'm focusing mostly on UNH, so I may have missed more recent and/or relevant examples elsewhere?

It's too bad, but the injury bug has hit UNH right in its soft spot (defense) at precisely the worst possible time. I don't see UNH getting any point(s) off of Uncle Normie's boys down in Lowell tomorrow night. Hope I'm wrong.
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

WIS Productions brings you the "Missed the Deadline" edition of "Umile's Last Stand - The _____ for 600"

"Umile's Last Stand - The Quest for 600"

Coach Umile's current career wins total: 582
      Wins Remaining to the next round number: 18
      *Games Remaining (Next 2 Seasons - Min.): 45
      Win Pct. Required to Hit Target: 40%
      WIS Estimated Likelihood of Success: 65%
      2016/2017 Cupcake Conversion Ratio (CCR): 9/15 (60%)

* - minimum games remaining assumes 34 regular season games, and at least 2 games in the MBPBEGAM "playoffs"

... and in the immortal words of Yogi Berra, it's deja vu all over again, as UNH's winless streak stretches to six (6) games with Friday night's 6-4 loss to the Chestnut Hillbillies. Throw in the previous weekend's home sweep by Providence at Durham, and UNH has dipped to a game under .500 overall, and frighteningly is only halfway through "The Gauntlet", which was the long-projected run of 12 games (shortened to 10 games with Northeastern's return to normalcy this season). In fact, the next four games are all on the road, and it's hard to see where that next "W" might be. Lowell seemed to be trending in a vulnerable direction recently, but have bounced back a little since, and it's hard to see them passing up a chance to devour cupcake-trending UNH in their current poor run of form.

None of this is good news, of course, as Coach Umile continues to stalk the next round number in The Quest. He's been stuck on 582 now since the boys took to the ice at Fenway, and although there have been some near-misses and a pair of ties (0-4-2) mixed into this stretch, those aren't helping anything right now. After Lowell, there is the two game road series at Gutterson with UVM, then a home-and-home with BU before "The Gauntlet" ends with the arrival of the UConn Luce Canaans. And with UNH slowly sinking like a rock down the Hockey East standings, their presence in the MBPBEGAM round again looks highly probable, and at this rate home ice there is far from guaranteed.

The Big Picture - Coach Umile's Wildcats have slumped under .500 (with an overall 11-12-4 record), and the impact of losing more than the expected amount of "cupcake" games is really coming home to roost. As seen in many posts over the last few days, the "oh no, not again" warning beacons at The Whitt are fully engaged, and although WIS prognosticators have only modestly scaled back the chances for a successful end to The Quest - impacted more by failing to nick a win last weekend at home against PC - the outlook could take a real hit if the next 3 games don't at least advance the "W" cause by a game. This season has been all about getting to about 15 wins to make next season's similar win haul sufficient to do the trick and send Coach Umile off having attained the vaunted next round number. An implosion that leaves UNH needing 16 or more wins next season could raise the spectre of Coach Souza getting an early start on his own career wins total - a possibility discussed early on in this series, but virtually dismissed and buried when UNH matched last year's win total almost a month ago now ...

I guess if there's good news to discuss, it's that potential Hobey candidate Tyler Kelleher emerged from his much-discussed struggles on Friday night against a more wide-open style favored by BC. His standing as a potential Hobey nominee seems assured, but his status as a would-be frontrunner has taken on water, and the fortunes of his team have followed right behind. Kelleher is going to have to find a way to build on the BC performance, and get back to making steady contributions not only to keep his Hobey campaign realistically viable, but to turn his team's season back around, and to help his coach in his next-to-last rodeo. Good luck with that, Ty.

Predictions:

Saturday (Feb. 4th): UNH 1 @ UMass Lowell 4
      Friday (Feb. 10th): UNH 3 @ UVM 5
      Saturday (Feb. 11th): UNH 4 @ UVM 2

NEXT CUPCAKE ON THE SHELF: Still none on the horizon, at least until the MBPBEGAM playoffs

WIS BRAIN-BUSTING TRIVIA QUESTION: Who were Martin St. Louis' notorious linemates at the height of his UVM career?

IS BS35+4 PAYING ATTENTION YET?

Kinda. Now that UNH has gone a half-dozen games winless, and the chances of two or three home "playoff" games comes into question, you just know the big guy (or is that the Big Guy) is paying attention at least a bit. Now if we get to the next edition of The Quest and Coach is still stuck on 582 wins ... you'd have to think the "nuclear option" of not allowing Coach Umile to finish up the 3rd and final year of his long goodbye tour may start sneaking itself back onto the table. Long winless streaks against league competition, two seasons in a row, do tend to cause such distractions. Coach badly needs to pull a rabbit or two out of his hat in the February stretch run before Luce Canaan and his Huskies arrive late to offer a pseudo-cupcake opportunity for a UNH team that's giving off way too many pseudo-cupcake vibes of their own as we're 3/4's of the way into the season now. If nothing else ... depending upon how things wind up over these last few weekends of the season, you gotta think the chances of the birth of the new UNH-SNHU in-state rivalry might not be so far away, in order to achieve the "prime directive" next season. After all ... if SNHU is going to insist on playing at a D-1 opponent, why force the Penmen to chase all the way to ASFU to get waxed, when they can get just as easily waxed by in-state cupcake-seeking competition closer to home? We'll spruce the thing up a bit, call it the "Van Ostern Cup" and even play it at the newly-tagged SNHU Arena? Screw Dartmouth ...
      Last edited by Chuck Murray; 02-04-2017, 01:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aerman View Post
        Curious, Sacco warming up with D, no sign of Wyse.
        They played Friday's game without freshman defenseman Anthony Wyse, who was suspended for the contest for breaking a team rule. He is expected back in the lineup against UML.
        http://www.fosters.com/sports/201702...ittle-too-late

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
          I think you're right, a medical redshirt is going to be a stretch with the amount of action he's seen to date. I always use the Tommy Nolan situation back in the "season on the road" of '94/'95 between Snively and The Whitt for comparisons, and I recall a lot of discussion (pre-Internet!) on how narrowly he qualified for his medical RS having played all of four (4) games. It would be interesting to see examples of any D-1 hockey players who played longer than that and still got the medical RS. I can't think of any, but these days I'm focusing mostly on UNH, so I may have missed more recent and/or relevant examples elsewhere?

It's too bad, but the injury bug has hit UNH right in its soft spot (defense) at precisely the worst possible time. I don't see UNH getting any point(s) off of Uncle Normie's boys down in Lowell tomorrow night. Hope I'm wrong.
          Dalton Speelman
          UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
            WIS Productions brings you the "Missed the Deadline" edition of "Umile's Last Stand - The _____ for 600"

"Umile's Last Stand - The Quest for 600"

Coach Umile's current career wins total: 582
            Wins Remaining to the next round number: 18
            *Games Remaining (Next 2 Seasons - Min.): 45
            Win Pct. Required to Hit Target: 40%
            WIS Estimated Likelihood of Success: 65%
            2016/2017 Cupcake Conversion Ratio (CCR): 9/15 (60%)

* - minimum games remaining assumes 34 regular season games, and at least 2 games in the MBPBEGAM "playoffs"

... and in the immortal words of Yogi Berra, it's deja vu all over again, as UNH's winless streak stretches to six (6) games with Friday night's 6-4 loss to the Chestnut Hillbillies. Throw in the previous weekend's home sweep by Providence at Durham, and UNH has dipped to a game under .500 overall, and frighteningly is only halfway through "The Gauntlet", which was the long-projected run of 12 games (shortened to 10 games with Northeastern's return to normalcy this season). In fact, the next four games are all on the road, and it's hard to see where that next "W" might be. Lowell seemed to be trending in a vulnerable direction recently, but have bounced back a little since, and it's hard to see them passing up a chance to devour cupcake-trending UNH in their current poor run of form.

None of this is good news, of course, as Coach Umile continues to stalk the next round number in The Quest. He's been stuck on 582 now since the boys took to the ice at Fenway, and although there have been some near-misses and a pair of ties (0-4-2) mixed into this stretch, those aren't helping anything right now. After Lowell, there is the two game road series at Gutterson with UVM, then a home-and-home with BU before "The Gauntlet" ends with the arrival of the UConn Luce Canaans. And with UNH slowly sinking like a rock down the Hockey East standings, their presence in the MBPBEGAM round again looks highly probable, and at this rate home ice there is far from guaranteed.

The Big Picture - Coach Umile's Wildcats have slumped under .500 (with an overall 11-12-4 record), and the impact of losing more than the expected amount of "cupcake" games is really coming home to roost. As seen in many posts over the last few days, the "oh no, not again" warning beacons at The Whitt are fully engaged, and although WIS prognosticators have only modestly scaled back the chances for a successful end to The Quest - impacted more by failing to nick a win last weekend at home against PC - the outlook could take a real hit if the next 3 games don't at least advance the "W" cause by a game. This season has been all about getting to about 15 wins to make next season's similar win haul sufficient to do the trick and send Coach Umile off having attained the vaunted next round number. An implosion that leaves UNH needing 16 or more wins next season could raise the spectre of Coach Souza getting an early start on his own career wins total - a possibility discussed early on in this series, but virtually dismissed and buried when UNH matched last year's win total almost a month ago now ...

I guess if there's good news to discuss, it's that potential Hobey candidate Tyler Kelleher emerged from his much-discussed struggles on Friday night against a more wide-open style favored by BC. His standing as a potential Hobey nominee seems assured, but his status as a would-be frontrunner has taken on water, and the fortunes of his team have followed right behind. Kelleher is going to have to find a way to build on the BC performance, and get back to making steady contributions not only to keep his Hobey campaign realistically viable, but to turn his team's season back around, and to help his coach in his next-to-last rodeo. Good luck with that, Ty.

Predictions:

Saturday (Feb. 4th): UNH 1 @ UMass Lowell 4
            Friday (Feb. 10th): UNH 3 @ UVM 5
            Saturday (Feb. 11th): UNH 4 @ UVM 2

NEXT CUPCAKE ON THE SHELF: Still none on the horizon, at least until the MBPBEGAM playoffs

WIS BRAIN-BUSTING TRIVIA QUESTION: Who were Martin St. Louis' notorious linemates at the height of his UVM career?

IS BS35+4 PAYING ATTENTION YET?

Kinda. Now that UNH has gone a half-dozen games winless, and the chances of two or three home "playoff" games comes into question, you just know the big guy (or is that the Big Guy) is paying attention at least a bit. Now if we get to the next edition of The Quest and Coach is still stuck on 582 wins ... you'd have to think the "nuclear option" of not allowing Coach Umile to finish up the 3rd and final year of his long goodbye tour may start sneaking itself back onto the table. Long winless streaks against league competition, two seasons in a row, do tend to cause such distractions. Coach badly needs to pull a rabbit or two out of his hat in the February stretch run before Luce Canaan and his Huskies arrive late to offer a pseudo-cupcake opportunity for a UNH team that's giving off way too many pseudo-cupcake vibes of their own as we're 3/4's of the way into the season now. If nothing else ... depending upon how things wind up over these last few weekends of the season, you gotta think the chances of the birth of the new UNH-SNHU in-state rivalry might not be so far away, in order to achieve the "prime directive" next season. After all ... if SNHU is going to insist on playing at a D-1 opponent, why force the Penmen to chase all the way to ASFU to get waxed, when they can get just as easily waxed by in-state cupcake-seeking competition closer to home? We'll spruce the thing up a bit, call it the "Van Ostern Cup" and even play it at the newly-tagged SNHU Arena? Screw Dartmouth ...

Eric Perrin
            UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
              Eric Perrin
              Halfway there ... and ... ???

As I'm sure you know, they had a pretty good goalie too.

Originally posted by Felger View Post
              Dalton Speelman
              11 games on the button - didn't realize he'd played that much. Good call, Felgie - you're absolutely right!

You gotta love the frosting Yorkie put on the game, when his guys were in complete control throughout.

"Down 5-2 in their own building, they elevated their game," said BC coach Jerry York. "We had to score an open-net goal to get out of here alive."

Somewhere in the hereafter, Walshy is smiling at that one.

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                Eric Perrin
                Also co-starring JC Ruid as Dan Correale...
                Live Free or Die!!
                Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                  Halfway there ... and ... ???

As I'm sure you know, they had a pretty good goalie too.

11 games on the button - didn't realize he'd played that much. Good call, Felgie - you're absolutely right!

You gotta love the frosting Yorkie put on the game, when his guys were in complete control throughout.

"Down 5-2 in their own building, they elevated their game," said BC coach Jerry York. "We had to score an open-net goal to get out of here alive."

Somewhere in the hereafter, Walshy is smiling at that one.
                  Who blew off the White House visit

Don't remember the other St Louis linemate!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                    Also co-starring JC Ruid as Dan Correale...

Say what????

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                      Say what????
                      Clever reference to J.C. Ruid being the "happy to be along for the ride", third-among-equals guy with St. Louis and Perrin, much like Dan Correale was the tag-along last season with Kelleher and what's-his- ... er, Poturalski.

Comment

• I just visited hockeydb too see if my characterization of Ruid was fair. despite playing all of his junior and senior seasons with the two Laval, Que, natives (and much of his sophomore year, I believe) he never finished closer than within 28 points of either one over a full season. He was good, but clearly a distant third best offensive player on teams that were otherwise offensively lacking...

The most shocking part of my research, however, was discovering that Ruid (pronounced roo-WEE) was AMERICAN! Born in NY state. So much for that French connection propaganda...
                        Live Free or Die!!
                        Miami University '03

Comment

Gotcha! They were fun to watch for sure.

Next weekend will be tough for the Wildcats. UVM drooling over the chance to reduce the lopsided deficit in the all-time series.

Comment

Last night's final 3.5 minutes was a momentum and emotional roller coaster. Not a fan of skating 4 forwards on the PP, especially with momentum, a guaranteed man advantage until the end of regulation and and an (((empty net))). No like. Big time.
                            I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                              Last night's final 3.5 minutes was a momentum and emotional roller coaster. Not a fan of skating 4 forwards on the PP, especially with momentum, a guaranteed man advantage until the end of regulation and and an (((empty net))). No like. Big time.
                              Couldn't agree more on pulling DT. It felt like there was more to lose than win, plus if you have total control with 20-30 left, then pull him. BC just so skilled.
                              On another note, often on the ride home we do an informal "whudya think" on the entire line up. As it turns out, sometimes not making a big impression isn't all bad. i would like to open a big can of worms here. I say Cam Marks and you folks say......?
                              I do not believe that I have ever seen his name on this thread. Kinda nondescript, lot of ice, no big upside, few shots etc. I am just finding him to be just what we could use more of. Steady, consistent and rarely hurts you. Some will say not a top pairing guy on most teams, But he is on this team - right now and he is deserving of some note. His skating style is unusual at best, but it is deceptive and he can and does get back on d. Most improved? Yeah, should be in the running. Now kick me around the boards, ha!

Comment

Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
                                Couldn't agree more on pulling DT. It felt like there was more to lose than win, plus if you have total control with 20-30 left, then pull him. BC just so skilled.
                                On another note, often on the ride home we do an informal "whudya think" on the entire line up. As it turns out, sometimes not making a big impression isn't all bad. i would like to open a big can of worms here. I say Cam Marks and you folks say......?
                                I do not believe that I have ever seen his name on this thread. Kinda nondescript, lot of ice, no big upside, few shots etc. I am just finding him to be just what we could use more of. Steady, consistent and rarely hurts you. Some will say not a top pairing guy on most teams, But he is on this team - right now and he is deserving of some note. His skating style is unusual at best, but it is deceptive and he can and does get back on d. Most improved? Yeah, should be in the running. Now kick me around the boards, ha!
                                Yes!

Clearly not PP material, will likely have a "C" or an "A" on his sweater next year.
                                Last edited by Darius; 02-04-2017, 02:22 PM.
                                I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Working...
                                X