Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2016-17 Vol II -- We Do Have a Hockey Season Here!?!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
    While we usually struggle with BC for a win, they are often some of the best, and most wide open games of the year. As noted after our first game down there, we actually looked decent all night. We are both fast breakout teams, and BC is one of the few who teams that doesn't typically take our transition game away. They just have been way deeper as a team for several years.
    That said, we win by 1 either 3-2 or 4-3. If they come on strong early, we lose 5-2.
    Sounds about right....
    HR's game predicts:
    BC 4. UNH 2

UML 3. UNH 1
    I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
      Well, it is a shame that a while back I deleted a snarky reply about Kelleher. I was so close! In my post I wondered if the much more difficult second half schedule would result in cries of Kelleher quitting. Selfish was on the tip of my tongue. I should have gone with selfish.

Kelleher is the same player he's always been - except in previous years he's had more (not a lot) help and in the first half they played an incredibly weak schedule. Now, they're playing better overall teams, better defensive teams, they've proven to all game planning coaches they lack depth and teams are zeroing in on Kelleher. The result, is less production. Its that simple. There is no need to bury the kid.

Kelleher's slide started after a huge night at Brown. Since then, they've played a more difficult stretch of opponents than at any other point to date, including the last two weekends against Providence (11th nationally in GA) and Notre Dame (9th).

----

First Half Opponents GA/D Rank/PWR -

Bentley - 3.23 / 49 / 43
      St. Lawrence - 2.18 / 7 / 14
      Clarkson - 3.07 / 40 / 31
      CC - 3.35 / 51 / 34
      UMass - 3.52 / 53 / 56
      Merrimack - 2.62 / 22 / 35
      Sacred Heart - 3.12 / 42 / 47
      Mercyhurst - 3.00 / 37 / 44
      BC - 2.32 / 13 / 10
      ASU - 4.13 / 58 / 48
      Merrimack - 2.62 / 22 / 35
      UMass - 3.52 / 53 / 56
      RPI - 3.75 / 56 / 57
      Cornell - 2.20 / 8 / 17
      Maine - 3.19 / 47 / 40
      Maine - 3.19 / 47 / 40
      Dartmouth - 3.14 / 43 / 37
      Maine - 3.19 / 47 / 40
      AVERAGES - 3.26 / 39 / 38

Second Half Opponents GA / D Rank / PWR -
      Lowell - 2.52 / 17 / 13
      Brown - 4.19 / 59 / 55
      Northeastern - 3.08 / 41 / 22
      Northeastern - 3.08 / 41 / 22
      Notre Dame - 2.23 / 9 / 21
      Notre Dame - 2.23 / 9 / 21
      Providence - 2.27 / 11 / 11
      Providence - 2.27 / 11 / 11
      AVERAGES - 2.73 / 24 / 22

UNH played three teams in the top-30 in PWR in the first half and already seven of eight second half games have been against #22 or higher. The more difficult second half numbers would be even more dramatic were they not skewed badly by Brown - a team Kelleher scored five points against. One may not think the second half schedule is too difficult - but you cannot argue it hasn't been much tougher, both overall and defensively, than the first half. Unfortunately, for this UNH team, the step up in competition has been a big problem. Its the same scenario as last year - bad team with no depth plays tougher schedule, opponents focus on lone 1 or 2 offensive threats and the team and said threats struggle offensively. Kelleher's actual play (like Poturalski's and Kelleher's last year) is well down the list of reasons for his recent lack of production...

One final note on the weakened 2016-17 version of HE - if the season ended today, five HE teams would make the NCAA Tournament...
      Been busy the last few days but I feel the need to respond. My intention wasn't to bury the kid because, after all, he's the best we have. He has skills and I think that on a complete team he would be an awesome player, I really do. But he's on UNH and, as bad as they are, there are some guys that have the ability to contribute. But they're not going to get the chance if TK is hogging the puck. He does have the skill to bring the puck out of the zone and get through center ice. But what happens when he gets into the offensive zone. Last week against Providence I saw him a make couple of center ice moves, cross the blue line and skate into no man's land. He turned the puck over on a 1-on-3 situation and the next thing you know, the Friars are getting a Grade A chance. I have seen this too much, this turning opportunities into mush. He's going to finish with a lot of points, be the team MVP and he may even be an All-American. But elite, even in the pantheon of UNH greats? No.

Comment

• Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
        While we usually struggle with BC for a win, they are often some of the best, and most wide open games of the year. As noted after our first game down there, we actually looked decent all night. We are both fast breakout teams, and BC is one of the few who teams that doesn't typically take our transition game away. They just have been way deeper as a team for several years.
        That said, we win by 1 either 3-2 or 4-3. If they come on strong early, we lose 5-2.
        Would love to embrace this idea, as I have in the past, but this is the slowest wildcat team I can remember. The ice works more to their favor than ours.
        Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2016-17 Vol II -- We Do Have a Hockey Season Here!?!

Curious, Sacco warming up with D, no sign of Wyse.
          Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

• Originally posted by Aerman View Post
            Curious, Sacco warming up with D, no sign of Wyse.
            That isn't good all ready thin there. Any idea what Boyd is out and not on the inactive listt? I might have missed that discussion

Comment

Noticed that as well. Rich Boyd is no longer listed on the inactive list before each game. Is he still with the team? His battles with Crohn's was public knowledge last year and I hope that hasn't caused him any issues again.

Comment

• Originally posted by deltabravo62 View Post
                Noticed that as well. Rich Boyd is no longer listed on the inactive list before each game. Is he still with the team? His battles with Crohn's was public knowledge last year and I hope that hasn't caused him any issues again.
                He has been sitting with the non dressed players in a a tie. So might be something with that

Comment

• Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                  But they're not going to get the chance if TK is hogging the puck.
                  100 career assists - pretty good for a kid that doesn't pass the puck and has only ever played with ONE gifted scorer. Quite frankly, this teams offense revolves around Kelleher holding and holding the puck until he finds an open man. Change the way he's playing and it may save some the frustration of turnovers but it will also cost you enough offense that this team would be completely uncompetitive. If the coaches are telling Kelleher to dictate play that's a good thing IMO...
                  Last edited by Dan; 02-03-2017, 06:49 PM.
                  Live Free or Die!!
                  Miami University '03

Comment

TyK 2 points away from being in the 20th slot of all time UNH points with his 100th career assist.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                      TyK 2 points away from being in the 20th slot of all time UNH points with his 100th career assist.
                      Originally posted by Dan View Post
                      100 career assists - pretty good for a kid that doesn't pass the puck and has only ever played with ONE gifted scorer. Quite frankly, this teams offense revolves around Kelleher holding and holding the puck until he finds an open man. Change the way he's playing and it may save some the frustration of turnovers but it will also cost you enough offense that this team would be completely uncompetitive. If the coaches are telling Kelleher to dictate play that's a good thing IMO...
                      I kinda knew we were in trouble when I saw two mentions of Assist #100 and no score posted.
                      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                        I kinda knew we were in trouble when I saw two mentions of Assist #100 and no score posted.
                        ... or *maybe* we've got a shot at this one after all?
                        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                          Kelleher's goal puts him at 149 career points in 149 career games. Tied with Savo Mitrovic for 25th all-time. His next victim is Jacob Mickflikier at 150 points in 154 games.

There's not much else to do than enjoy TK. I'd put the teams ceiling at 3 wins down the stretch, would predict 2 and wouldn't be surprised in the least with 1...
                          Live Free or Die!!
                          Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                            Kelleher's goal puts him at 149 career points in 149 career games. Tied with Savo Mitrovic for 25th all-time. His next victim is Jacob Mickflikier at 150 points in 154 games.

There's not much else to do than enjoy TK. I'd put the teams ceiling at 3 wins down the stretch, would predict 2 and wouldn't be surprised in the least with 1...
                            Agree...I thought he played a great game tonight. 'Cats made it interesting looking forward to tomorrow night!

Comment

I will be the first to admit that anyone looking for examples of my criticisms from last week came up empty. He played a great game tonight, good puck distribution, good decision making, and hitting the line with speed. If they bring this level of intensity and energy in to tomorrows game, I like the chances of getting some points out of it.

Adding to Nifty16, I also saw Boyd with the inactive guys. I wonder if he is medical redshirt eligible this season with whatever issues he is having and that is why he is not being considered an "inactive player" for the purposes of the game day roster. I think 11 games is a stretch for a medical redshirt but I guess we will see what that is all about in due time.

Comment

• Originally posted by deltabravo62 View Post
                                I will be the first to admit that anyone looking for examples of my criticisms from last week came up empty. He played a great game tonight, good puck distribution, good decision making, and hitting the line with speed. If they bring this level of intensity and energy in to tomorrows game, I like the chances of getting some points out of it.

Adding to Nifty16, I also saw Boyd with the inactive guys. I wonder if he is medical redshirt eligible this season with whatever issues he is having and that is why he is not being considered an "inactive player" for the purposes of the game day roster. I think 11 games is a stretch for a medical redshirt but I guess we will see what that is all about in due time.
                                You are prob right about Boyd last April in an issue of The New Hampshire student newspaper they ran a great story about his challenges with Chron's Disease. (Google it if you want to read it). Of course I don't know if that is the reason he is not playing. Anyone know if Wyse will play tomorrow? I am glad to see Nonis continue to get minutes; it only builds his experience and we will need that next year...Thoughts in him so far?

Great assessment of TyK's game and the overalll compete level of the ''Cats; hoping we can bring that same intensity to Tsongas tomorrow night. I appreciate your view of the game. Go 'Cats!

Comment

Working...
                                X