Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2016-17 Vol II -- We Do Have a Hockey Season Here!?!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2016-17 Vol II -- We Do Have a Hockey Season Here!?!

Originally posted by cavbim View Post
    This from the Lowell thread. Don't you guys love mid-Atlantic forwards. Side note he was Ryzcek's teammate at Select Academy the year he spent there.
    Limoges is also playing with recruit Charlie Kelleher at Tri-City.

Comment

So here's a q for those following the games this weekend (and last I guess). Umile hasn't been starting the "top line" as of late...what's up with that? Is he sending a message or is it all about match-ups?

Discuss if ya want.
      I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

"Weekend Wrap: UNH Falters Against #19 Providence" by Ben Nawn
        The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
          So here's a q for those following the games this weekend (and last I guess). Umile hasn't been starting the "top line" as of late...what's up with that? Is he sending a message or is it all about match-ups?

Discuss if ya want.
          My opinion is that it was meant to be a message. Production had slowed down from that group, especially in 5v5 play. McNicholas has not found his stride at all this year. He went from my "look for this guy to break out" to not being able to hit a wide open net on his bread and butter play. For those who do not know, that is the cross ice pass to about the faceoff circle one-timed into the net. At the end of last year and into the first part of this year that play was automatic, I now see him miss that shot 3-5 times per game.

Kelleher is still trying to be superman out there, look how his selfish and head down play directly leads to Providences 2nd goal on Friday night. His point production was great early on so you tend to overlook these things. But trying to stick handle through three players and turning the puck over 3 out of 4 times is not helping the cause at this point. Poturalski got on this train last year when we hit the hard part of the schedule too.

Salvaggio has been the pleasant surprise here, I really like his game. Head up, to the net, fight for the rebound. He is not without fault but he is playing the most well rounded game of the three.

Lack of quality puck possession has plagued this team as a whole. I cringe when I see the two wings skate to the blue line, stop, receive a pass and turn it over to the guy who is right on top of them since they are playing a stationary neutral zone entry. The only time this team hits the blue line with sped is on an odd man rush...

Comment

There's a fan that sits in I think 102 that cheers "come on boys" alot and I like that cheer...really carries. Is that you?
            Nope. not me.
            I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by deltabravo62 View Post
              My opinion is that it was meant to be a message. Production had slowed down from that group, especially in 5v5 play. McNicholas has not found his stride at all this year. He went from my "look for this guy to break out" to not being able to hit a wide open net on his bread and butter play. For those who do not know, that is the cross ice pass to about the faceoff circle one-timed into the net. At the end of last year and into the first part of this year that play was automatic, I now see him miss that shot 3-5 times per game.

Kelleher is still trying to be superman out there, look how his selfish and head down play directly leads to Providences 2nd goal on Friday night. His point production was great early on so you tend to overlook these things. But trying to stick handle through three players and turning the puck over 3 out of 4 times is not helping the cause at this point. Poturalski got on this train last year when we hit the hard part of the schedule too.

Salvaggio has been the pleasant surprise here, I really like his game. Head up, to the net, fight for the rebound. He is not without fault but he is playing the most well rounded game of the three.

Lack of quality puck possession has plagued this team as a whole. I cringe when I see the two wings skate to the blue line, stop, receive a pass and turn it over to the guy who is right on top of them since they are playing a stationary neutral zone entry. The only time this team hits the blue line with sped is on an odd man rush...
              All that plus the frosh line matched up well against Northeastern's top line a few weeks ago. The "first" line was the third line on the ice Friday, back to being first to start the second period on Saturday.

A few weeks back, Coach mentioned that he told TK to shoot more, that TK had been working on his shot during the off season. Maybe it is time to dial that back a bit?
              Last edited by Darius; 01-30-2017, 07:02 AM.
              I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Look at the D hit UNH has taken with the loss of him, Masonius
                Masonius was addition by subtraction for Dick Umile. This one actually worked out ok for Dickie.
                Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Hobey Baker fan vote is open folks...gotta vote via Facebook however!

http://www.hobeybaker.com/vote

And yes, I voted for TyK.

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                    Hobey Baker fan vote is open folks...gotta vote via Facebook however!

http://www.hobeybaker.com/vote

And yes, I voted for TyK.
                    Mark Divver (@MarkDivver) tweeted at 6:47 PM - 30 Jan 2017 :

.@FriarsHockey coaching staff came out of weekend saying UNH's @TKelleher16 is probably most dynamic 1-on-1 player in HE (http://twitter.com/MarkDivver/status/826260474434052096?s=17)

Of course a couple of the staff might be a bit prejudiced
                    Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

Originally posted by cavbim View Post
                      Mark Divver (@MarkDivver) tweeted at 6:47 PM - 30 Jan 2017 :

.@FriarsHockey coaching staff came out of weekend saying UNH's @TKelleher16 is probably most dynamic 1-on-1 player in HE (http://twitter.com/MarkDivver/status...434052096?s=17)

Of course a couple of the staff might be a bit prejudiced
                      hmmm...wonder who that might be? I don't understand the negatives around Tyler; he's not superman out there. Yes I am biased (like that coach no doubt) but most of the goals by UNH this season he has had a part of. I do agree he could pass off etc and gets caught up etc. but that's something the coaches could/should work out. Ok..off the soap box. (And I do understand that most of his goals are PP goals so there's that as well.)

Comment

hmmm...wonder who that might be? I don't understand the negatives around Tyler; he's not superman out there. Yes I am biased (like that coach no doubt) but most of the goals by UNH this season he has had a part of. I do agree he could pass off etc and gets caught up etc. but that's something the coaches could/should work out. Ok..off the soap box. (And I do understand that most of his goals are PP goals so there's that as well.)
                        I'm not trying to take anything away from what he has done. My problem with his game is the turnovers caused by him trying to make extremely low percentage plays, as in trying to skate through three players. If there are three players on you, someone else has to be open and usually they are. Puck possession and turnovers are a problem across the board with this team and he is contributing to that part. Turning the puck over in that manner leads to the exposure of the biggest weakness this team has, that being the defense. This is honestly something the coaching staff needs to work on with him. If they have not done it yet, they probably will not.

At this point all the weaknesses of the team are going to be exposed by the top end of HE. The dump and chase offensive zone entry that works maybe 1 out of 10 times. The "wings stand on the blue line and wait for the pass" entry. These work against lower level opponents but there are none of them to be found on our schedule this season.

Edit: the rest of this season.
                        Last edited by deltabravo62; 01-31-2017, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                          If I haven't already said so ... I do really hate the "replay culture" that has sprung up in pro and college sports.
                          +100

As a former basketball official who refereed high school and college for 17 years, this is a real pet peeve of mine. We have gotten to the point in society where certain "groups" want to control EVERYTHING. What we say, think, do....pretty soon they will be regulating the number of breaths we take per minute. (and don't laugh)

Replay has become another example of this obsession to make everything "perfect" in the world. Well, guess what? It's not. And it never will be. The delays have become interminable. A perfect example is the AFC Championship when Brady fumbled on the QB sneak. Now, first of all, we all know that it's the referee's judgment as to who they give the ball to, because you can't SEE who recovers it since there are five guys wrestling on the ground underneath another ten who have piled on. The ball exchanges hands several times before someone "emerges" with it. But how many times did it get ripped away from someone else? When is the ball dead? We don't know. And we can't SEE it. So they spent five minutes discussing whose ball it should be, when there was no way to know anyway. All we can "confirm" is that Brady lost the ball before his knee (or whatever other body part determines that you are "down") hit. Furthermore, how many times do two people look at the same replay and come to different conclusions? So if you can't decide after slowing it down to 1 frame per year and looking at it 8 billion times, what's the point? And that IS the point. People don't agree on hardly anything, so that's why we have officials in the first place. So what if they make mistakes? I love these announcers who say "Well, the important thing [even if it took two hours] is that they got it right." The problem is, a large percentage of the time they DON'T get it right anyway.

I know if I were still officiating today, I would have quit when this was instituted. It undermines the officials. Obviously they are going to be hesitant, because if the play is going to get looked at anyway, why make ANY call if there's a chance you will be proven "wrong" and embarrassed? They don't stop the game when a forward fans on a shot and replay it twenty times. We all make mistakes. It's part of being HUMAN. Get over it.

Comment

I'm not trying to take anything away from what he has done. My problem with his game is the turnovers caused by him trying to make extremely low percentage plays, as in trying to skate through three players. If there are three players on you, someone else has to be open and usually they are. Puck possession and turnovers are a problem across the board with this team and he is contributing to that part. Turning the puck over in that manner leads to the exposure of the biggest weakness this team has, that being the defense. This is honestly something the coaching staff needs to work on with him. If they have not done it yet, they probably will not.

At this point all the weaknesses of the team are going to be exposed by the top end of HE. The dump and chase offensive zone entry that works maybe 1 out of 10 times. The "wings stand on the blue line and wait for the pass" entry. These work against lower level opponents but there are none of them to be found on our schedule this season.

Totally get your point...I'm glad tho UNH hockey has a Hobey contender. It's been since TvR that happened last. It's early yet in the 'fan vote' but he's right behind you-know-who....Anyway...going back to your main points of the attack being the way it is, man, you think it would change if it's not working well....but I digress.

Also Snively pointed out a few things about his line mates not being open; I'll be more mindful of watching for that next game. We had so little zone time over the weekend I'm surprised we score any goals, all 2 of them. Sigh. "If it's broke don't fix it" does not apply here.

Comment

Pretty succinct comments about Kelleher. He is the best forward on the team, but that has led, unfortunately, to a do-it-alone mentality. He really hasn't changed the style of his game since he's been here. He handles the puck too much and is reluctant to give it up when the situation clearly warrants it. Sadly, mediocre teams like UNH always seem to have players like Kelleher. I am sure he believes his efforts are for the good of the team so it is the job of the coaching staff to set him straight. They haven't done that up to now so I think you're right in predicting that it won't happen between now and the end of the season.

UNH got a scheduling break where they faced mostly also rans at the beginning of the HE schedule. Now they have started playing teams that are better than them and their talent gap is showing. There are eight games left against the likes of BC, BU, Lowell and UVM, then UConn to finish out. How many points will they get? I'm guessing three.

Comment

• Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                                Pretty succinct comments about Kelleher. He is the best forward on the team, but that has led, unfortunately, to a do-it-alone mentality. He really hasn't changed the style of his game since he's been here. He handles the puck too much and is reluctant to give it up when the situation clearly warrants it. Sadly, mediocre teams like UNH always seem to have players like Kelleher. I am sure he believes his efforts are for the good of the team so it is the job of the coaching staff to set him straight. They haven't done that up to now so I think you're right in predicting that it won't happen between now and the end of the season.

UNH got a scheduling break where they faced mostly also rans at the beginning of the HE schedule. Now they have started playing teams that are better than them and their talent gap is showing. There are eight games left against the likes of BC, BU, Lowell and UVM, then UConn to finish out. How many points will they get? I'm guessing three.
                                Greg I certainly do not wish to get into a debate with you or anyone else as my hockey knowledge is still coming along but I will pose this question...take Kelleher out of the line up and you tell me we would be better off? Wait til next year...hope we have a good play maker to take his place. Nazarian? Grasso? I suppose every player is replaceable but I think it will be interesting. Doubt many teams are going to triple team us like they do now but I hope to be pleasantly surprised!

Meanwhile he's doing very well in the Hobey fan voting so far and I wish him the best.

Comment

Working...
                                X